Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belize

Started by cbhawg03, September 25, 2013, 12:24:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I love those sauces HH. My favorites though are Marie Sharpe's. I lived down there for almost 4 years. I've met Marie. She has 4000 acres of the hottest Habanero's on the planet. You can smell them from miles away. It is a wonderful place, Belize.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ugly Uncle

Hankweb,

I would give anything to move to Belize tomorrow.  It IS Third world, but the people are amazing and it as a country means so much to my family.  I would LOVE for my kids to grow up going to school in Belize.  Their educational system is some of the best in the world.  Private and somewhat pricey schools...but amazing.  I have a friend that raise kids in Belize and when their kids came back to the states for college they were just so much more advanced in their first two years of college than everyone else because of how good and tough the education is down there.

Who knows, maybe I'll turn this radio gig in sometime and just move down there and help my Dad who is living down there.
Retired Radio Host

BR

We are up to 40 of us now for our Feb 2K15 trip...  2 of our group now own Condos at Grand Caribe
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hankweb

May 08, 2014, 01:09:43 pm #53 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:17:48 pm by Hankweb
Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 12:29:30 am
Hankweb,

I would give anything to move to Belize tomorrow.  It IS Third world, but the people are amazing and it as a country means so much to my family.  I would LOVE for my kids to grow up going to school in Belize.  Their educational system is some of the best in the world.  Private and somewhat pricey schools...but amazing.  I have a friend that raise kids in Belize and when their kids came back to the states for college they were just so much more advanced in their first two years of college than everyone else because of how good and tough the education is down there.

Who knows, maybe I'll turn this radio gig in sometime and just move down there and help my Dad who is living down there.

Our house in Placencia was purchased when my oldest was two just a few months after my second was born. They grew up spending about half time there and have many many close Belizian friends to this day. Living the Belizian lifestyle being around the openness, kindness, happy with what you have community lifestyle is a huge part of what has shaped them as well as my younger daughter. It would not be a mistake to make that move Ched. I would say though that the private education you speak of is excellent but not accessible throughout the country so you would need to be close enough to take advantage of it. I've worked/helped/volunteered in 3 or 4 different local schools in the country ( most are church supported) and my children attended them for a period of time in different spurts. Most are good to very good but not "outstanding" and may require some parental work to keep your kids advancing along. But who can beat recess/physical ed swimming at the beach a few hundred feet from school?!
The key for us I think has been immersion in and working side by side with the local communities. Never been a resort or tourist kind of person and always seek beyond the end of the road local places and that living and functioning as folks do daily has been a fantastic way for us to quickly tie into the local communities. Not only are Belizians generally friendly and happy but they're almost always willing to help you and paying that back by being the same way is key. We don't avoid expats and in fact spend time with many expat friends there but we've never lived in the expat communities. By "staying local" the friendships, connections, and lifestyle have been great and have given us the ability to create some Belizian work opportunities in a little company that I partner with 3 of my longtime southern Belize buddies that creates some local jobs and at least lets me write off my airline fares!
Like you said...Belize is a 3rd world country but with some things that aren't accessible in other 3rd world countries. If you go with Belizian style expectations, which you likely have already because of your Dad, you and your family will be rewarded in uncountable amazing ways. Folks who go expecting American amenities, pace, service, certain foods wine and liquors, 100% dependable electricity and internet, etc will be sorely disappointed. Those who would be driven crazy by the concept of a repairman saying ( a Lan Sluder paraphrase) "I'll be there Monday around noon" when he really means " I'll think about it Monday and come by sometime on Tuesday unless the fish are bitin and then it may be Wednesday" should probably stay home!