Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to do in Branson?

Started by Waldron_Hog, May 29, 2013, 09:34:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Waldron_Hog

Wife and I are going without the kids. Turns out she really wants to go to silver dollar city without them.  What else should we do?

1836hog

HognotinMemphis

Stroll around old downtown. Be sure to visit the old 5 and dime store there...you'll think you are back in the '60's. Like an old Ben Franklin store or older.

Catch a show or two.

Have lunch or dinner at one or more of the restaurants at Big Cedar Lodge and stroll around the grounds and shop there. Very nice place.

In fact, if you want to spend a bit more and since you are without kids, I would stay at Big Cedar Lodge. Very cool place. You can do a lot of things there...from trout fishing(think I am right about this...used to have it anyway) to horseback riding, etc.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Tripod1

Top of the Rock is a really good place to eat.  The Sunday brunch at Big Cedar is good but pricey.  Shows are always fun.

McKdaddy

I second getting a cabin at Big Cedar.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 30, 2013, 01:49:18 pm
I second getting a cabin at Big Cedar.
It's been 6 years ago now but we stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath Arnold Palmer cabin on the lake. So nice. Brought us firewood every evening as well as warm cookies.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BENTON PIGGEE

Get drunk and heckle the Japanese fiddle player.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 30, 2013, 05:13:03 pm
It's been 6 years ago now but we stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath Arnold Palmer cabin on the lake. So nice. Brought us firewood every evening as well as warm cookies.

I'm glad they re-stack the firewood each night for us....I can never get it really going otherwise. But when they stack it in the fireplace, it roars easily. And yes, the cedar logo-shaped gingerbreads were yummy. A little tip and they'd bring some of the lobby cider along w/ the cookies, if asked.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on May 29, 2013, 09:34:43 pm
Wife and I are going without the kids. Turns out she really wants to go to silver dollar city without them.  What else should we do?

Wow, ahhh eat!!
Love Shoguns on 165, Appleby's on 76 (get the bourbon street steak with garlic mashed and brocelliis)
Dixie Stampede good combo show and dinner, if you like horses you can walk up to their stales.
Mexican place at the Landing, Montana Mikes, Florentines the Italian place on green mtn. drive.
Best fajitas- Mickey Gilleys on 76...joes crab shack on the Landing...ect. Ect.

Tour the winery on 165, it's free and you get to taste the different samples at the end of tour, Stone Hill Winery,
not to be missed...

The Titanic is great...
Don't miss the Liverpool Legends if they are there.  Best Beatles tribute band ever, unbelievable, they look sound
exactly like the Beatles...George's sister comes out at intermission and tells stories and answers questions...

Take your swim suit and do the slides at the water park on 76...

Don't miss a stop to Andy's on 76 for the best frozen custard (ice creme) you will ever have...
people go there to eat there lunch or dinner, it's off the planet...

Go to the I-Max, the new Star Trek is on the main theater right now...
See the Legands, the new Elvis tribute guy is great they say and has won a lot of awards.....

Shop at the huge shopping center outlet stores of just about everybody, enter right across from
Wal-Mart on 76....

Do the helicopter ride, Ripleys, or ride the rides at the fair at the end of 76...

After you have done all that drive out toward Silver $$$ City, but if you are a golfer
turn right instead of left and go play Ledgestone in Stonebridge, beautiful.....

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Oklahawg

My rules for when we go to Branson.

1. Never eat at a chain. I can eat at those anywhere.
2. Find the entertainment that does NOT mimic to bumpkin/redneck culture.
3. Enjoy the outdoors (if warm weather) - fish, golf, stay in a cabin, find places to go that do NOT appear to be anywhere near the strip.

Florintine's Italian on Green Mtn (already mentioned) is pretty good. Danna's BBQ is good (but lordy, everyone has different tastes in BBQ).  Level One Steakhouse is fantastic (did I get the name right? they are downtown).

The great thing: you can completely ignore this advice and still be fine.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on May 31, 2013, 05:38:54 pm
Wow, ahhh eat!!
Love Shoguns on 165, Appleby's on 76 (get the bourbon street steak with garlic mashed and brocelliis)
Dixie Stampede good combo show and dinner, if you like horses you can walk up to their stales.
Mexican place at the Landing, Montana Mikes, Florentines the Italian place on green mtn. drive.
Best fajitas- Mickey Gilleys on 76...joes crab shack on the Landing...ect. Ect.

Tour the winery on 165, it's free and you get to taste the different samples at the end of tour, Stone Hill Winery,
not to be missed...

The Titanic is great...
Don't miss the Liverpool Legends if they are there.  Best Beatles tribute band ever, unbelievable, they look sound
exactly like the Beatles...George's sister comes out at intermission and tells stories and answers questions...

Take your swim suit and do the slides at the water park on 76...

Don't miss a stop to Andy's on 76 for the best frozen custard (ice creme) you will ever have...
people go there to eat there lunch or dinner, it's off the planet...

Go to the I-Max, the new Star Trek is on the main theater right now...
See the Legands, the new Elvis tribute guy is great they say and has won a lot of awards.....

Shop at the huge shopping center outlet stores of just about everybody, enter right across from
Wal-Mart on 76....

Do the helicopter ride, Ripleys, or ride the rides at the fair at the end of 76...

After you have done all that drive out toward Silver $$$ City, but if you are a golfer
turn right instead of left and go play Ledgestone in Stonebridge, beautiful.....
No offense and to each his own, but there is not one thing or event you mention that I would spend time doing. This sounds like a redneck's dream though.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 31, 2013, 05:44:10 pm

3. Enjoy the outdoors (if warm weather) - fish, golf, stay in a cabin, find places to go that do NOT appear to be anywhere near the strip.

Florintine's Italian on Green Mtn (already mentioned) is pretty good. Danna's BBQ is good (but lordy, everyone has different tastes in BBQ).  Level One Steakhouse is fantastic (did I get the name right? they are downtown).

Good advice and I second it. Also, Buckingham's restaurant, assuming it is still there, was awesome. First class. It is in the Clarion Hotel on 76.

bulldog04

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on May 29, 2013, 09:34:43 pm
Put her on her back

Dr. Starcs

Too bad. Branson is a great place for kids too.

If you like entertainment different than the normal Branson stuff, I highly recommend Six and the Haygoods.

Silence O the Hams

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 31, 2013, 06:09:27 pm
No offense and to each his own, but there is not one thing or event you mention that I would spend time doing. This sounds like a redneck's dream though.

Yeah, tons of rednecks love the Titanic story, going to a winery and playing golf.  You obviously don't know any rednecks.

Dr. Starcs

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Silence O the Hams on June 01, 2013, 10:00:02 am

Yeah, tons of rednecks love the Titanic story, going to a winery and playing golf.  You obviously don't know any rednecks.
That winery is for rednecks. As is the Titanic thing. Golf can be for rednecks...john daly and all the jean short no shirt golfers I've noticed on pubic courses over the years.

Dr. Starcs

I've played ledgestone. It's a semi private golf club and I can assure you not a place for rednecks.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 01, 2013, 10:11:58 am
I've played ledgestone. It's a semi private golf club and I can assure you not a place for rednecks.

Luv Ledgestone...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

BENTON PIGGEE

I am going to see Merle Haggard there June 23rd. Tickets still available.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

THIS!!

AND avoid the "Throwed Rolls" type tourist trap eateries.  Look for places where the locals eat.

There's a lot of good music downtown, near The Landing.  That's where a lot of the locals hang out.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

GreenwayTigerHog

The Succotash at SDC, seriously it is a must have.  Everything else is optional.

cutehog45

Can't stomach Branson much anymore.  Nothing new.....I hear the economy is poor up there and they are struggling...

cosmodrum

If you play golf, play Branson Creek. It's a beautiful course.
Go away, batin'

The Shoji Tabuchi Show is a must!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

rcopela

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 06, 2013, 11:44:57 am
If you play golf, play Branson Creek. It's a beautiful course.
This, I could play this course every day, my favorite anywhere..

hogslobber

I would rather visit hell than spend vacation time in Branson.

What a horrible place.

Quote from: hogslobber on June 08, 2013, 07:54:21 am
I would rather visit hell than spend vacation time in Branson.

What a horrible place.

I think you can see a Shoji show there, also.

tophawg19

titanic is great . toy museum was interesting . brought back some old memories .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HognitiveDissonance

Probably have about done Branson to death. It's all good, but I'm not too much of a critic.

Enjoyed the Branson Showboat cruise.
Shoji Tabuchi is a good show
Noah's Ark is a good show, although a little long
Really, really enjoyed the Acrobats of China show
Go up in the Inspiration Tower and enjoy the view
Go down to Branson Landing and stroll around and shop
Dixie Stampede is nice, but the North vs South contests are rigged to come down to the wire every night.
Played every golf course up there: 1)Branson Creek 2)Ledgestone 3)Payne Stewart 4)Top of the Rock 5)Murder Rock) 6)Thousand Hills 7)Holiday Hills 8) Point Royale
Silver Dollar City is always fun
Titanic is very well done
We always enjoy all the putt-putts

Dr. Starcs

Anyone else played pointe royale? How is it?

McKdaddy

Noah's Ark was really enjoyable, but I believe it is no longer showing in Branson -- I think it's last season was 2011.

DLUXHOG

You should've seen it before it was "Branson" (uhh.. the 1970's), sweet, beautiful, quiet, and about 200 mph slower than the rest of the world.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 11, 2013, 04:53:59 pm
You should've seen it before it was "Branson" (uhh.. the 1970's), sweet, beautiful, quiet, and about 200 mph slower than the rest of the world.....
I saw it from 1970 on. It was nice in a much different way back then. I prefer the way it is now to the way it was then though. I like the chaos along 76 and a few of the restaurants. We do not stay along 76 anyway. Our time is spent at Big Cedar Lodge, SDC, and Branson Landing when we are there. Havent been up there since fall of 2007. Need to go back this October.

cypert2

My Mom and Dad are both in their late 80's. They went to Branson a couple of years ago. When they got back I asked my Dad how it was, and he replied " I never saw so many old people in one place in my life."
Swinging on the two and the four.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 01, 2013, 10:04:17 am
That winery is for rednecks. As is the Titanic thing. Golf can be for rednecks...john daly and all the jean short no shirt golfers I've noticed on pubic courses over the years.

You do realize Memphis is full of rednecks........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 24, 2013, 11:41:40 am
You do realize Memphis is full of rednecks........................
Memphis is full of a lot more and worse than rednecks, my friend.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 24, 2013, 08:24:49 pm

The rednecks in Memphis are the upper crust in Memphis, my friend.

I know because I'm one of them.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 25, 2013, 06:52:50 am
The rednecks in Memphis are the upper crust in Memphis, my friend.

I know because I'm one of them.

Sorry I missed the last meeting.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 24, 2013, 08:24:49 pm

I know that. I live there. Well a redneck suburb thereof at least.

bigstyx

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 10, 2013, 09:21:43 am
Anyone else played pointe royale? How is it?
Yep Doc, I have 4 condos on the course. It's not Ledgestone or Branson Creek (where I probably lost a dozen balls), but it's not meant to be. It's a very well maintained fun course. Challenging in places, but the average tourist will not feel like he's had his brains beat in. Good value, about $50 with cart, less if you take advantage of the twilight rate. Comparable to a Stonebridge in Fayetteville as opposed to Pinnacle.

bigstyx

Embarrassed to admit this, but had places in Branson for 3 years before we discovered Moonshine Beach was 1.5 miles from our condos. Awesome sand beach with a huge swimming area, on Table Rock. Picnic area, grills, tables, etc. $5 per car load....

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 12, 2013, 07:38:28 pm
I saw it from 1970 on. It was nice in a much different way back then. I prefer the way it is now to the way it was then though. I like the chaos along 76 and a few of the restaurants. We do not stay along 76 anyway. Our time is spent at Big Cedar Lodge, SDC, and Branson Landing when we are there. Havent been up there since fall of 2007. Need to go back this October.

I live there from 68 thru 74 and I assure you it was better back then before all the glitzy tourist places were built.   It was much like the Ozarks of NWA....quiet...peaceful....slow (in 10 minutes you could be in a place that you wouldn't hear a car, let alone an airplane)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rickm1976

Don't miss the show "SIX".  It is awesome, and my favorite by far.

rickm1976

Also, introduce your wife to trout fishing on Lake Taneycomo.

hog.goblin

Very fine advice

Love taking my little girls as passengers on the Wild Woody or Heavy Metal.  They'll lose interest in a few years.

The Mexican place at the landing is a franchise, but has an excellent choice of fine tequilas

BR

http://www.paynestewartgolfclub.com/

IF you play golf, play this course. One of the newest ones in Missouri.
#1 Course in Missouri - GOLFWEEK, 2013
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HognotinMemphis

i take back what i said about Stone Hill Winery. Very nice and very decent wines. I was truly amazed because I thought they would be junk.

Was there Thurs and Fri and drove to Fayetteville this AM for the game.

Spent parts of both days at SDC. Still love that place. Beautiful weather both days. Rode Outlaw Run. What a ride! Took a spin on the Giant Barn Swing, Powder Keg and Wildfire as well. The Saloon Show is always so good.

Have not been there in 6 years so was nice to get back there. Stayed at the Branson Hotel in old downtown Branson on Main St. 9 rooms. Fabulous service, great rooms (each one is different), no kids allowed and cleanest hotel I've ever seen. Wine and snacks every day at 3:00 and continental breakfast included. I was at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills 2 weeks ago and I was just as happy with my stay at Branson Hotel as I was at the wonderful Four Seasons in BH. Fantastic, guest-oriented personnel at the BH.