Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr. SEC: "Is Bielema a Fish out of Water?"

Started by WilsonHog, November 11, 2013, 06:43:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

Bielema may yet turn out to be great.  I don't think he will, but he might.  But the fact is, he is a poor fit and was a poor choice based on the fact that he is 180 degrees from what we had and the transition was bound to be difficult.  Jeff Long made the hire simply based on what he thought would make the biggest splash and what was the highest profile candidate.  He did not evaluate it in light of which coach would be best for Arkansas.

Hoggish1

But he just doesn't seem to fit the Southeastern Conference.  At least not yet.

Mr. SEC what does that mean...?  It's for sure he's not going to kiss GM's @ss...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: avatar on November 11, 2013, 08:44:39 pm
if people are counting on recruiting forget it. we are ranked in the mid thirties with 7 left.
honestly if you were a recruit and had an offer from another sec school (other than kentucky) why in the world would you come here?

It is called playing time. Why ride the pine when you can play. The sooner you play the faster you go to the NFL. Very simple reason why some may come here.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2013, 06:43:55 pm
Everyone else is talking about it.

Let's see if we can talk about it without gutting each other.

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/11/arkansas-bielema-fish-water/

Well Jez, it's pretty simple.......there seems to be three things which motivate a man......

One---it's obvious Alverez treats BB like a yard dog......
Two---yep the T word, testosterone,  Bert is nailing a real hun and going to the Rosé Bowl.....
Three---honey pot deciides after a few girl parties and what she hears she can't stay in Madison.....

The ole  trifecta....

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Hawgon

Quote from: locusbug on November 11, 2013, 09:23:15 pm
It is called playing time. Why ride the pine when you can play. The sooner you play the faster you go to the NFL. Very simple reason why some may come here.

Alabama has guys languishing on the 3rd team, who would start and be stars at many schools.  Kids want to play for a winner more than anything else.

BigoBoys

I remember Petrino in his first post season press conference say something like "we underestimated the league"  "we have to learn how to run the ball, win in the fourth quarter".  When I first heard that I thought you came from the NFL how could you underestimate anything? He figured it all out except how to beat Bama.  We will know next year if BB has figured it out

lilredheadedlady

So far, I'd say the proof that is on the field hasn't been anything great.  Sad.
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

Sir Oinksalot

...it's going to boil down to one thing and one thing only......our kids are soft and lazy.

Can Beilema get the gonads to make those kids puke like Saban does and run off the clowns...?

Can he then make them run 30 gasers when they finish puking......can he personally throw game boys
or what ever the hell they call them in the dumpster, pour gas on them and lite them up...?

I like this guy and I want him to succeed but I'm not sure if he will flogg them to death and make them winners...

Oklahawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2013, 08:09:57 pm
You people keep screwing up a thread I started, and I'll ban every one of you tonight.

Sweet!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on November 11, 2013, 07:01:47 pm
Thank you for posting the article. There wasn't much to disagree with in my opinion. I think it is going to take longer to rebuild than many of us hoped. It talks about Bielema not being a great recruiter at Wisconsin but he didn't have the staff that he has here at Arkansas - some of those guys are good recruiters. If we don't close well on this year's recruiting we're not going to see the type of improvement we need. We don't have to finish first or second (although I wouldn't object!) but we have to finish at least middle of the pack.

I would have to soundly agree with this statement...earlier I didn't prescribe to this line of thinking, but as the season has progressed...and the Razorbacks haven't...I am beginning to think that signing day THIS February is going to be crucial to Bielema's tenure...and I don't mean that in translating to drastic increase in win's, but in closing the gap in the talent disparity that is apparent against our conference opponents. It's probably not fair, but if next season mirrors the last two, I'm afraid that the vocal proponents may reach critical mass.

This recruiting clas has to happen, or he may not have an opportunity to show if he can "fit in" or not.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

idahodian

I have read the comments on this thread and found it to be interesting. My observation is I am not sure CBB over estimated our talent this year when you compare it to the Big 10 where he has been his entire career. He under estimated the talent of the teams in the SEC. You hear all the pundits and coaches from other conferences talk about the SEC and how it is the best conference, but I am not sure they realize how good even our "average" teams are. SEC teams beat each other up every year and the cream of the crop goes on to win the national championship. I remember last year when lots of pundits thought Notre Dame was team to beat Bama....... CBB now knows what he is up against, we will see in the next 3 years if he can adjust and win in this conference.

clutch

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on November 11, 2013, 07:54:08 pm
I agree with your take on this. I truly believe BB is a good coach, but I think he underestimated the difficulty of recruiting to Arkansas . If I'm not mistaken the big time recruits we finished with last jan-February he was already in on at whiskey . Relationships where previously develop. Now comes the tough part recruiting on merit as a U of A coach.

I know he was on Collins for sure, but to me that tells me he can bring players here too. If he can get them to go to Madison he can get them to Fayetteville. Madison is a cool town and all, but getting Florida kids to come to Madison isn't easy. It's friggin cold there.

Sir Oinksalot

...I can only say in our defense, you've had over 1300 looks and this thing has legs...

Tusks

for you guys who see the promise land under BB.....tell me what it looks like.

as long as tractor hat and satan are at LSU and Bama......do you really see BB recruiting to a level to play the same kind of football and beating those guys?

is the plan to build a program just like those two and then if/when those two coaches leave we have the program in place to 'take their place'?  so we're building to when they leave their schools?

i really don't get it.  yes he wants to be stanford....guess what there are two stanfords already in our division.  how do you hop two teams with the same style that is already established at those two schools.

so in the promise land the hogs just line up and physically whip bama? at the very same type ball that bama is playing and winning NC at?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

westside_player

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on November 11, 2013, 09:36:17 pm
...it's going to boil down to one thing and one thing only......our kids are soft and lazy.

Can Beilema get the gonads to make those kids puke like Saban does and run off the clowns...?

Can he then make them run 30 gasers when they finish puking......can he personally throw game boys
or what ever the hell they call them in the dumpster, pour gas on them and lite them up...?

I like this guy and I want him to succeed but I'm not sure if he will flogg them to death and make them winners...

Saban has the numbers to do that. We don't. I think we are seeing results of that kind of style now. Petrino thought he could do that, and it depleted the roster. He's got kids I guess he thought or hoped could take it, and the ones that stuck around, really aren't very good.

Saban is also a lot more of a players coach then people realize. His players know he cares about them, and wants them to succeed in all facets of life.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on November 11, 2013, 07:01:47 pm
Thank you for posting the article. There wasn't much to disagree with in my opinion. I think it is going to take longer to rebuild than many of us hoped. It talks about Bielema not being a great recruiter at Wisconsin but he didn't have the staff that he has here at Arkansas - some of those guys are good recruiters. If we don't close well on this year's recruiting we're not going to see the type of improvement we need. We don't have to finish first or second (although I wouldn't object!) but we have to finish at least middle of the pack.

We won't be finishing middle of the pack. We will be in the bottom quarter at best like we always are.

M L (bassplayer)

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: westside_player on November 11, 2013, 10:11:43 pm
Saban has the numbers to do that. We don't. I think we are seeing results of that kind of style now. Petrino thought he could do that, and it depleted the roster. He's got kids I guess he thought or hoped could take it, and the ones that stuck around, really aren't very good.

Saban is also a lot more of a players coach then people realize. His players know he cares about them, and wants them to succeed in all facets of life.

What Saban demands is a lot more about mental discipline than physical.  Stay discipliined, execute, focus on your job. He preaches this over and over and demands it without question.  As great as his players are you never get the sense any are ever bigger than the team. No Johnny Manziels, no Cam Newtons. Saban and his formula will always be center stage on his teams regardless of whatever five star is plugged into it. This is what sets him apart and allows him to deliver over and over.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hawgon on November 11, 2013, 09:12:13 pm
Bielema may yet turn out to be great.  I don't think he will, but he might.  But the fact is, he is a poor fit and was a poor choice based on the fact that he is 180 degrees from what we had and the transition was bound to be difficult.  Jeff Long made the hire simply based on what he thought would make the biggest splash and what was the highest profile candidate.  He did not evaluate it in light of which coach would be best for Arkansas.

Or he hired the most qualified candidate he could, no matter the style/philosophy. I can't be certain because I don't know Long personally like you guys.
Go away, batin'

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Texman on November 11, 2013, 07:11:06 pm
We may be a "team out of water".  Not sure we belong in the SEC - can't seem to compete.  Don't have a lot to show for all the years we have been here.
we have just as many NCs in the two major sports since we joined the SEC as does the Texas Longhorns...consume excrement and expire, LongWHORN
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

redeye

Quote from: lewisfoxtrot on November 11, 2013, 08:24:28 pm
The SECIs a great conference but we should have been in the Big 8 or Big 12(that only has 10 teams) from the time we moved from the Swc

I partially agree, but I wouldn't want to be in the Big 12 today. Even so, we'd probably be glad to be there if we hadn't moved to the SEC, because we never would have been invited. If we HAD gone to the Big 8-12, then I think we'd have had better talent over the past 20 years, because we'd still be gobbling up Texas players and living off historical success. However, since conference expansion is now driven by TV sets, we wouldn't have been invited to the SEC, so I think we made the right choice, because I wouldn't want to be in today's Big 12.

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 11, 2013, 10:14:11 pm
We won't be finishing middle of the pack. We will be in the bottom quarter at best like we always are.

Bottom quarter at best? That's like saying we'll be lucky to finish last.

Historically, we've finished in the 3rd best quarter, if not higher. You have the "big 6" and Arkansas has always been the foremost team knocking on the door to join. I've always been amazed by how we seem to finish 7th in EVERY single thing related the SEC, just about. We may struggle to do that well in the future, but the past has certainly been better then you acknowledge.

Murr

Quote from: HSVhogfan on November 11, 2013, 07:28:03 pm
There is one thing I would like some input on when it comes to coaching styles and "systems".

I spent most of my career making personnel decisions for a very large company. Just as in coaching styles there a many different management styles, and all, if implemented properly can be successful. My staffs biggest obstacle when replacing an area manager, for example, was to maintain as much continuity and be as least disruptive to the organization as is humanly possible. If someone was successful, but either retired, or had to be termed for a Petrino type incident, we always tried to go out of our way to hire someone who's style was very close to the person we were replacing. If someone was a quality person, but simply failed, we would look in a totally opposite direction.

It does not seem like the BOT, chancellor, or AD really did not do their due diligence in trying to match a coaching style with the talent already on campus.

I do not think Brett will ultimately be successful with the "smash mouth style" because of the recruiting challenges here at AR. Ultimately though, when a department head fails, the blame usually has many different layers that are not seen right away.

Wisconsin and Arkansas are similar on the recruiting fronts where they both supply below average the number of recruits instate when compared to the rest of their respected conferences.  CBB won and became a dominant force in the B1G by developing players within his system; he also sent a good number to the NFL.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: LSUFan on November 11, 2013, 07:46:08 pm
Just wait til aTm drums us, maybe they'll fire the grass eater then!
It will be a team decision lol

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

b0sc0b

Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

Steef

I don't know how good or bad he (Bret) is as an SEC coach...yet. And neither does anyone else know...outside of our staff. They...are the only people who really know what our problems are.

When we finally have SEC competitive talent and experience in our 2 deep....then we will find out if Bret knows what to do with it. But the class he signed in 2013 was a BIG step in the right direction. We will see if he can continue.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2013, 08:47:12 pm
Well, let's compare the last four games, in order:

First Downs: 6-16-25-22

Total yards: 235-256-346-389

Yards Passing: 30-91-124-193

Yards Rushing: 205-165-222-196

Dang those facts have a way of messing you up. Hard to wallow in self- pity when the facts show improvement.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2013, 08:09:57 pm
You people keep screwing up a thread I started, and I'll ban every one of you tonight.

This is why I haven't commented.  What is considered screwing up a thread you started?  Are there different rules for your threads and others?
Let's make some waves.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on November 11, 2013, 09:27:24 pm
Alabama has guys languishing on the 3rd team, who would start and be stars at many schools.  Kids want to play for a winner more than anything else.

Ok in the middle of the losing why did Auburn and Ole Miss have great recruiting? While some kids will join the winner - many others will choose playing time. Stop with your agenda and open your eyes to see there are positive things happening on the Hill.

Plus your friends will enjoy being around you more.  ;D

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: locusbug on November 12, 2013, 06:29:33 am
Dang those facts have a way of messing you up. Hard to wallow in self- pity when the facts show improvement.  ;)

Now compare this...

South Carolina, Alabama , Auburn and Ole Miss.. So with "improvement" goes a decline in competition. But we shouldn't compare stats or scores because they can be skewed....<sarcasm>

Oliver

Quote from: locusbug on November 12, 2013, 06:29:33 am

I mean to be fair though, we went from playing two good defensive teams to two crap defensive teams.  The offensive numbers should have improved

g.lynn

In reading Wally Hall the day after this post, I now know how Wally writes his column.  Almost word for word.  Hmmm?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

urkillnmesmalls

I just wonder if people were saying the same thing when Saban arrived at LSU from the Big Ten.  I bet they were. 

For YEARS people on this board defended BP's recruiting ranking by saying that he just needed players that would fit in his system, so stars didn't matter. 

Why couldn't the same be said for CBB?  Look at his classes at UW, and what he achieved there.  I could just as easily say that he's going out to get the kids with a sense of pride, family, and kids that are overly competitive and hate to lose.  See...raise 'em a star, because they hate to lose, are going to play harder than kids at other schools, and we just need to get players with those inherent qualities to match HIS system.

Like it or not, CBB inherited a team that is worse off than the Bama team that Saban inherited, and he didn't exactly shock the world did his first season when they lost to ULM.  It's fine for the media, and even our own fans to expect more wins, but against the teams we've played in the SEC, it's not that hard to fathom where we are sitting. 

The defense has to improve dramatically.  I'm not sure what changes have to be made from a coaching standpoint, but continuing to play that soft on the outside and just giving away 7 yards is not a recipe to beat anyone...ever.       

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HSVhogfan on November 11, 2013, 07:28:03 pm
There is one thing I would like some input on when it comes to coaching styles and "systems".

I spent most of my career making personnel decisions for a very large company. Just as in coaching styles there a many different management styles, and all, if implemented properly can be successful. My staffs biggest obstacle when replacing an area manager, for example, was to maintain as much continuity and be as least disruptive to the organization as is humanly possible. If someone was successful, but either retired, or had to be termed for a Petrino type incident, we always tried to go out of our way to hire someone who's style was very close to the person we were replacing. If someone was a quality person, but simply failed, we would look in a totally opposite direction.

It does not seem like the BOT, chancellor, or AD really did not do their due diligence in trying to match a coaching style with the talent already on campus.

I do not think Brett will ultimately be successful with the "smash mouth style" because of the recruiting challenges here at AR. Ultimately though, when a department head fails, the blame usually has many different layers that are not seen right away.
I tend to agree with this, your last paragraph. Wisc is a larger state with more football players to recruit than Arkansas has. It is disturbing that his current recruiting class is ranked next to last in SEC. What program is ranked last, KY? We are probably not going to out-smashmouth Bama. And that 20 pt Fla loss is looking worse and worse, isn't it?

A quote from Bret:

"We've got two games to show what kind of pride we have. I think our seniors will lead the way. We had a bunch of seniors playing really good football (Saturday) and hopefully they'll continue out for the last two weeks."

Why would he think that? They haven't led the way yet.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2013, 08:47:12 pm
Well, let's compare the last four games, in order:

First Downs: 6-16-25-22

Total yards: 235-256-346-389

Yards Passing: 30-91-124-193

Yards Rushing: 205-165-222-196
Wonder what defensive stats were the last 4 games?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

You don't think Swanson and Chris Smith have led?

HognotinMemphis

WilsonHog

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 12, 2013, 06:30:26 am
This is why I haven't commented.  What is considered screwing up a thread you started?  Are there different rules for your threads and others?

Pretty simple if you read through the thread know.

Very few smart-ass comments, and both sides have managed to get their points across without attacking each other.

That's what message boards should be about.

HF#1

The guy can't make it through a full season without someone thinking he's a "fish out of water"?  I mean really? 

He was left with virtually nothing defensively.  He has a good (not great) defensive line but that's it.  Nothing else.  Offensively, he has 2 great RB's, a good TE, and a marginal (to this point) QB. 

We need more information and time before we declare him a fish out of water.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

farmhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 12, 2013, 07:48:10 am
I tend to agree with this, your last paragraph. Wisc is a larger state with more football players to recruit than Arkansas has. It is disturbing that his current recruiting class is ranked next to last in SEC. What program is ranked last, KY? We are probably not going to out-smashmouth Bama. And that 20 pt Fla loss is looking worse and worse, isn't it?

A quote from Bret:

"We've got two games to show what kind of pride we have. I think our seniors will lead the way. We had a bunch of seniors playing really good football (Saturday) and hopefully they'll continue out for the last two weeks."

Why would he think that? They haven't led the way yet.
What does he mean by really good football?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Quote from: HogFan#1 on November 12, 2013, 08:24:09 am
The guy can't make it through a full season without someone thinking he's a "fish out of water"?  I mean really? 

He was left with virtually nothing defensively.  He has a good (not great) defensive line but that's it.  Nothing else.  Offensively, he has 2 great RB's, a good TE, and a marginal (to this point) QB. 

We need more information and time before we declare him a fish out of water.

I don't. 

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawgsalot

Quote from: Oliver on November 11, 2013, 06:58:47 pm
I don't know if I buy the "isn't a good fit for the SEC" argument.  I think it has more to do with being able to build a program. 

They mentioned his lack of recruiting throughout his career.  That's a concern when you are building a program and not just sustaining one that was in great shape when you took it over.

He sure put a lot of high draft picks and overall picks in the NFL to not have been a good recruiter.    Mr. SEC is looking at a initial rankings, how about the rerankings after a class has actually developed.  I'm not saying the initial rankings aren't relative but players getting drafted yearly is more relevant in my opinion.

jneal56

I always see the arguments about how small of a state Arkansas is and we can't get talent because of that reason so I looked up all the SEC states to see the population size and out beside them in bold is how many NC's each state has won since the BCS era began.

TX ~26 mil       1 NC (Texas)
FL ~19 mil       4 NC (Miami 1, FSU 1, UF 2)
GA ~10 mil       0 NC
TN ~6.5 mil      1 NC (Tennessee)
MO ~6 mil        0 NC
AL  ~4.8 mil     4 NC (Alabama 3, Auburn 1)
SC ~4.7 mil      0 NC
LA ~4.6 mil      2 NC (LSU 2)
KY ~ 4.3 mil     0 NC
MS ~ 2.9 mil    0 NC
AR ~ 2.9 mil     0 NC

So 9 of the 15 possible BCS NC's have came from SEC schools and of those 9, 7 of them came from states with less than 7 million population.

Of the 15 possible BCS NC's 12 have came from states that field SEC teams. FSU, Miami and Texas make up the other 3.

I see the argument over and over about how small the state is so we can't recruit anybody and it's all BS. It's about selling the campus and area to the recruits and their families.

The other 3 places that have won BCS NC's are Oklahoma, California and Ohio. Southern Cal is a great place to be for any 18-24 year old student wanting to have fun before they grow up into the real world and so is Florida. But other than those two states, which have 5 of the 15 NC's, tell me what's so great about the areas in and around Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Austin, Baton Rouge, Norman, Columbus and Knoxville.

There are 10 NC's in those towns and 4 in the tiny state of Alabama alone! I've been through Alabama and I think the scenery is pretty nice but not any nicer than anything we have here in Arkansas or any of the others mentioned above. The major obstacle in recruiting is selling. We need more players like Darren McFadden that grew up wanting to be a hog and nothing else here in our home state. Yes I know that's an obvious statement but I remember when I was a kid playing football for the first time we had old used equipment, hardly any of it matched, especially the helmets. There was one helmet that had a razorback on it. It was too small but I used it anyway because it had the hog on it. That's probably what's wrong with me today, too many collisions with that helmet! Haha!

I never heard people talking about how they were "done with hogs until they're winning again". Too many fair weather fans now days and it's showing in our children. If we were all half as die hard as we say we are then this wouldn't be an issue. Hell look at the father and son from Alabama around 7-10 years ago. They got into an argument after Arkansas beat Alabama and the father shot the son!!! Over a meaningless college football game! And they were both Bama fans! That's some hardcore stuff right there and I'm glad we aren't that hardcore but I do think we as a fan base should show a lot more passion, and no I don't think flying banners and say firing everyone on the hill is showing passion....ignorance maybe, passion no.

I am a fan of smash mouth football and hard nosed defenses. I absolutely love seeing a defensive battle and a 10-7 ball game. I'm 34 and have vague memories of the Hatfield years and really started following after Ford took over. I loved the big defensive brutes that Ford recruited such as Carlos Hall, but Ford never really seemed to be all in it. Just collecting a pay check at the end of his career. During the Nutt years I really liked running the ball but he always lacked discipline in his players and was never hard nosed enough to really take control of the team. Some of his defense's were ok but never great or even good. In came Petrino. Boy do I love his intensity. He threw the ball a lot more than I like but he demanded perfection and I believe he was beginning to understand that he was going to have to start developing a better defense and running game. I think that if he were still here he would be heading in that direction. Regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, he isn't here anymore and now we have BB. (totally skipping the clown incident)

I like BB's philosophy and style but I do wish he showed more intensity and fire. People on here said at times they were embarrassed by CBP's cussing on the sidelines when the camera was on him. So what. He had fire and I like that in a coach. I believe we are headed for some great seasons and I do think CBB will get the job done. Everyone keeps saying we can't play the same styles that Alabama and LSU play and I have no idea why they believe that. We did it with Nutt and if HDN can compete and beat those teams then CBB can as well. Yes I know Saban wasn't at Alabama, but he was at LSU and HDN had some success against him there as he was 2-3 against him.

My whole point in all this rabble is that we can get the talent and recruits here to compete. We just have to have a staff that is willing to put the work in to get it done.
"At least we are moral"

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hoglady

The one area Beliema stands out is player development and an eye for talent.
The reranking of some of his Wisconsin classes was really spectacular.
His main area of concern at Wisconsin was QB development. That'll have to improve for sure.
And before anyone points to Russell Wilson - he wasn't developed at Wisc.

Time will tell.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Steef

Nick Saban lost five games his first season at Bama. Guess he wasn't a good fit either.

Oh wait. He already had a crystal at LSU.

Ex-Trumpet

I didn't realize CBB said this in Feb 2012:

"I can tell you this, we at the Big Ten don't want to be like the SEC — in any way, shape or form."

So, we got that going for us.  Which is nice.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

MR SEC forgot to tell folks per near 50% of Bobbys last two classses plus the one Smile tanked left us little better than UCA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bullet-Tooth Tony on November 12, 2013, 09:23:45 am
3-9 speaks for itself....cue the patience preachers.
You are coming out with both barrels blazing...16 posts in less than 24 hours after you registered. Have you been on this board before under another name?