Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell DC Candidates

Started by BBHog, December 02, 2017, 12:02:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BBHog

Does Norvell have any good defensive coaching connections from his past jobs that he could bring in as DC?  If he is coming to Arkansas, he surely isn't bringing any of his defensive staff.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JONAS

Todd Graham, but he ain't coming.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BBHog

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 12:03:19 pm
Todd Graham, but he ain't coming.

Yuck.  Check out his defensive rankings.  Since taking over at Arizona State, it looks like he turned a decent defense into one of the worst in the country.

VBMark

John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

jrulz83

Guv has family in Memphis and Guv has all but guaranteed Graham.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

JONAS

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 02, 2017, 12:03:39 pm
YES he IS, Jonas.

I hope so, but too many have said he is out.  I know you have said that it was him from the beginning.   

Rudy Baylor

Todd Graham has never been worth a crap as a defensive coach

King Kong

Quote from: VBMark on December 02, 2017, 12:04:22 pm
Graham already went to UF

Todd Grantham is at FL. Todd Graham is a different coach

Hugo Bezdek

bosshog84

I wish we would go after Shannon for our DC

hog_fan

Would be a terrible hire for DC

JONAS

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 02, 2017, 12:05:22 pm
Guv has family in Memphis and Guv has all but guaranteed Graham.

That's fine with me.  I'm just afraid all of us will be disappointed in the hire.  I have a feeling it won't be Gus, Kiffin, or Norvell.  Could be Chad Morris or Tim Horton.  I heard several members of BOT are pushing really hard for Horton.

Waldron_Hog

Captain Morgan

Quote from: bosshog84 on December 02, 2017, 12:47:52 pm
I wish we would go after Shannon for our DC
So get Nevin Shapiro's coach... Great!

hog_fan

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 12:51:03 pm
That's fine with me.  I'm just afraid all of us will be disappointed in the hire.  I have a feeling it won't be Gus, Kiffin, or Norvell.  Could be Chad Morris or Tim Horton.  I heard several members of BOT are pushing really hard for Horton.

So you think they hire a position coach for HC?

Arkansas Fan

What about Bob Shoop or Chavis?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Go Grinch and watch him steal other teams Christmas
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jrulz83

If they spent all the money to fire along and Bielem and they come in here with Horton it's going to be bad. Morris will be bad, but Horton will be nuclear holocaust bad. They know there's a potential backlash waiting (unfairly or not) with either of those hires.

20gauge

He's sure gonna need one of he gets the job. Neither of these teams can stop each other

HOGINTENNESSEE

JONAS

Quote from: hog_fan on December 02, 2017, 01:02:30 pm
So you think they hire a position coach for HC?

I don't know.  Hope not.  That is just what others have been saying.

JONAS

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 02, 2017, 01:06:45 pm
If they spent all the money to fire along and Bielem and they come in here with Horton it's going to be bad. Morris will be bad, but Horton will be nuclear holocaust bad. They know there's a potential backlash waiting (unfairly or not) with either of those hires.

Let's hope they know. 

Hopeful Hog

The BOT has been the problem from the beginning.

jrulz83

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 01:09:43 pm
Let's hope they know. 

I would bet that they know, the question is are they arrogant enough to not care?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 02, 2017, 01:05:35 pm
Go Grinch and watch him steal other teams Christmas

Alex Grinch's defense would fit well with the athletes we have at Arkansas. Aggressive and an emphasis on turnovers. Coached at Mizzou as a position coach before getting the DC job under Leach. He'll be a head coach soon though.

Fayettechill14

No, they aren't

Smashmouth2004

Quote from: JONAS on December 02, 2017, 01:09:43 pm
Let's hope they know.
Morris would not be a bad hire although most are expecting a bigger name like Malzahn. Morris is a solid coach who can recruit Texas.

VBMark

Quote from: King Kong on December 02, 2017, 12:45:23 pm
Todd Grantham is at FL. Todd Graham is a different coach

You are right. I was typing while watching the game. Sorry.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 02, 2017, 01:17:20 pm
Alex Grinch's defense would fit well with the athletes we have at Arkansas. Aggressive and an emphasis on turnovers. Coached at Mizzou as a position coach before getting the DC job under Leach. He'll be a head coach soon though.

Yep get a young hungry DC to go with young hungry HC. DC has experience coaching other side of a tempo O and does more with less talent. WSU D overshadowed by Leach's O
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 02, 2017, 01:17:20 pm

Yes and if Leach leaves good change Grinch takes over
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

Fayettechill14

An idea that isn't as bad as it may sound right now: Paul Rhoads

Yes, I'm aware that Arkansas' 2017 defense was historically bad. The Coastal Carolina game alone may justify not retaining Rhoads. But this defense is in a multi-year rebuild no matter who the coordinator is, and we knew that coming into the season. Switching away from Rhoads won't bring immediate results in 2018 or 2019.

Here are just a couple of defensive problems that pre-date Rhoads:

Problem: Lack of Texas recruiting under Bielema. Just 15 players in 5 years, and I think the defense was hurt by that more than the offense. The Hogs aren't landing the speedy defenders they need from the Lone Star State.
Fix: Rhoads signed 4-star cornerback Chevin Calloway from Dallas in his first class as DC. He's also done a good job mining east Oklahoma for talent, landing CB Jordon Curtis (Jenks), LB Kyrei Fisher (Tulsa Union), and CB Kamren Curl (Muskogee). Rhoads has clearly upgraded Arkansas' defensive recruiting, especially in the secondary.

Problem: Former defensive line coach Rory Segrest was really, really bad.
Fix: Segrest was dismissed after the 2015 season, but the damage was done. Part of Arkansas' switch to the 3-4 is due to the fact that the Hogs don't even have enough SEC-caliber defensive linemen. This was a really bad hire by Bielema, and it's not Rhoads' fault. Fixing the depth on the DL will take a few more years, regardless of who the DC is.

Problem: Robb Smith was not a good secondary coach (or a good recruiter). In addition to his duties as DC, Smith was also a position coach in the secondary, and his secondary was awful.
Fix: Rhoads immediately improved cornerback play in 2016, helping Ryan Pulley develop into an SEC-quality cornerback. Even after Pulley was hurt in 2017, Henre' Toliver stepped up. He was never great, but this was his best season as a pass defender by far. Curl, thrown into the fire as a true freshman, flashed potential and looks like he'll be a good player in time. Next year's projected CB lineup (Pulley and Curl) looks like it'll be a strength of the defense. Again, secondary issues take time to fix.

Again, I'm not saying Rhoads should be Option #1. But if Norvell (or even Gus) can't secure a more proven coordinator, then blowing up all of Rhoads' work to essentially start the rebuild over probably won't work out as well as fans think. This defense is a multi-year project.