Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Kleine tweet

Started by HoggyCat, March 03, 2017, 11:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2017, 05:58:41 pm
You are absolutely correct. The administration at the university was stunned by the scope of the backlash. It had an impact in his departure. It wasn't the only factor but it was significant. I can tell you that up on the Hill they are hoping this whole thing will go away now that a change has been made.

I stand corrected.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: stevec on March 05, 2017, 12:56:27 pm
I have been in the service and worked for the Army for over three decades.  I have absolutely no problem with political dissent.  There are much more important things to worry about.

Nothing is more important than loyalty to this country! Problem is while we been not worrying there are a bunch of people living in this country who would like to see it crash and burn. So called Americans don't have a problem with people who want to tear this country apart and are doing a good job of it.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 07:09:16 pm
I stand corrected.
Wow there's a first. You stand and preach your rhetoric as fact constantly. Kudos to you for standing down once irrefutable facts disputed your statements.

hoglady

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 07:09:16 pm
I stand corrected.

Me, too.
I'm surprised.
He deserved to be fired even without the kneeling incident.
It's a shame if that's what it took for Long to show him the door.
He needed to be shown the door because he was a lousy coach who had the program snowballing downhill.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HoopS

Quote from: hoglady on March 05, 2017, 10:26:11 pm
Me, too.
I'm surprised.
He deserved to be fired even without the kneeling incident.
It's a shame if that's what it took for Long to show him the door.
He needed to be shown the door because he was a lousy coach who had the program snowballing downhill.
I don't think "that's what it took" as much as once the incident happened, it didn't take a lot more and then we sucked and lost half the team so...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 01:15:09 pm
Most people (including those you speak of) really mean little in the bigger picture.  Sure if enough of them teamed up they could pressure someone into making decisions, but these days they really have no power at all. Before Long they may have had some pull but there is no GOBN any longer that makes much of a difference. They may kid these moves and others into thinking their money gives them a say. It doesn't. Not even close. The days of their money making them important are over.

The boosters still have some power but not in the same way it was a long time ago. Long still knows their money makes them important.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rljjr

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2017, 05:58:41 pm
You are absolutely correct. The administration at the university was stunned by the scope of the backlash. It had an impact in his departure. It wasn't the only factor but it was significant. I can tell you that up on the Hill they are hoping this whole thing will go away now that a change has been made.

If they were stunned by the backlash then they really are out of touch with the people they live amongst. I'm not surprised, though. University folks tend to live in their own bubble and since everyone around them talks and acts the same as they do, they lose sight of the bigger picture. Typical groupthink. It's why people are shocked when their political candidate loses because they don't know anyone who would have voted for X. Oh well. If it's a good wakeup call for them then so be it.

Inhogswetrust

March 06, 2017, 06:46:54 am #107 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:16:37 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: rljjr on March 06, 2017, 06:42:43 am
If they were stunned by the backlash then they really are out of touch with the people they live amongst. I'm not surprised, though. University folks tend to live in their own bubble and since everyone around them talks and acts the same as they do, they lose sight of the bigger picture. Typical groupthink. It's why people are shocked when their political candidate loses because they don't know anyone who would have voted for X. Oh well. If it's a good wakeup call for them then so be it.

Yep. We are not talking about the average American working in the "real" world. Administrators of colleges are out of touch with everyday average people sometimes. Sometimes the proverbial "egghead" mantra does indeed apply to them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 05, 2017, 08:59:09 pm
Wow there's a first. You stand and preach your rhetoric as fact constantly. Kudos to you for standing down once irrefutable facts disputed your statements.

Wait, what facts were presented? I read another opinion, and one I tend to agree with, more than others, but zero facts were presented. I've said on this before, a couple of large donors, names found on rooms/ buildings, weren't happy over it. I think the season record, transfers, no coaches wanting to stay, made it even easier.

jkstock04

The only reason the women's bball team made the news is over the national anthem debacle, and of course now the coach being fired.

I'm going to make the assumption that revenue/butts in seats has zero impact on the coaches job. What few women's bball games I've been to...even when they had good teams, resembled a crowd similar to a high school basketball game. Revenue ain't in the equation that much there.

I'm betting his team disrespecting the American flag had a lot to do with this. Firing him for any other reasons is simply convenient and makes for less controversial PR stuff. I still laugh thinking about the Hogville bleeding hearts bending over backwards in defense of the kneel down during the national anthem. Think about the demographic of people who go to basketball games on the regular. Old white people. The spin back then that there would be no backlash was comical.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HF#1

Not getting it done on the court and then having the off the court national anthem distractions killed Jimmy. He's a good dude and with what he inherited, probably wasn't given enough time.

I don't buy the whole, he had no business being a head coach. Jeff Long hired him which suggests he was the best guy for the job at the time. It is as much a failure of Jeff Long as it is of Jimmy Dykes.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HF#1 on March 06, 2017, 08:26:56 am
Not getting it done on the court and then having the off the court national anthem distractions killed Jimmy. He's a good dude and with what he inherited, probably wasn't given enough time.

I don't buy the whole, he had no business being a head coach. Jeff Long hired him which suggests he was the best guy for the job at the time. It is as much a failure of Jeff Long as it is of Jimmy Dykes.

With what he inherited?  A team that had 63 wins in the 3 years before he got there compared to the 43 in his 3, and that's helped out by a strong team left by TC his first year.  Take that out of the equation and he is a miserable failure that was gaining 0 positive traction.  You think one more year would have made the difference?  Good grief.  Kudos to Jeff Long for not falling back on that axiom of needing more time.  Long supports coaches when they struggle if they have shown progress.  MA, first 4 years progress, last year a set back, this year back to progress.  BB first 3 years progress this year a set back, but I'm sure Long fully supports BB because BB has shown he has a plan and can get better.  If JD had been showing progress on and/or off the court he would have not been fired.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PonderinHog

So getting progressively worse is not the kind of progress Long was looking for ???

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Brandon72 on March 05, 2017, 05:33:39 pm
Pretty sure he would have had tremendous support by benching the kneeling losers.  1st amendment just means the government cannot punish one.  It does not guarantee one is free of backlash.
I don't think it's necessary to call the girls losers though. Would you like someone to call you a loser just for doing something you believed in with all your heart?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MrKnowItAll

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 06, 2017, 11:52:50 am
So getting progressively worse is not the kind of progress Long was looking for ???

PonderinHog

hawkhawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 05, 2017, 08:32:09 pm
Nothing is more important than loyalty to this country!

Nothing?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 05, 2017, 08:32:09 pm
Nothing is more important than loyalty to this country!
Nothing? Not even your basic rights as a human? Not even God?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HogAllMighty

Quote from: hawkhawg on March 06, 2017, 03:22:51 pm
Nothing?

Loyalty to a country that's full of racism and bigotry?  Really?

HoopS

Quote from: HogAllMighty on March 06, 2017, 04:05:02 pm
I certainly have seen a lot of rascists and bigots. And I would bet the ones I see aren't the ones you see.

ricepig

That works both ways......

Inhogswetrust

Full would mean dang near everyone. We aren't even close to that. There are some here of course but they are all over the world. Name us one country that doesn't have those..............

cityhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 06, 2017, 04:21:02 pm
Full would mean dang near everyone. We aren't even close to that. There are some here of course but they are all over the world. Name us one country that doesn't have those..............

Just because it exists everywhere doesn't mean it shouldn't be acknowledged anywhere. I continue to be amazed at the outrage over this 'not standing' flap. I know this is going to cause all sorts of heads exploding, but I find it no more disrespectful than flying a rebel flag while purporting to stand for everything the US flag represents.

We have constitutional rights that allow us to protest freely. We are also free to not like those protests. The question that keeps plaguing me is how, exactly, do we want people to express themselves/protest so that their message is heard?

We don't want them to riot, so we tell them to protest in a more dignified manner. They silently protest and that isn't good enough either. Perhaps we'd all feel more comfortable if people who had grievances would just be totally silent, know their place in society and be happy with their lot in life. Sound good?

GoPigs69

Quote from: cityhog on March 06, 2017, 04:47:17 pm
Just because it exists everywhere doesn't mean it shouldn't be acknowledged anywhere. I continue to be amazed at the outrage over this 'not standing' flap. I know this is going to cause all sorts of heads exploding, but I find it no more disrespectful than flying a rebel flag while purporting to stand for everything the US flag represents.

We have constitutional rights that allow us to protest freely. We are also free to not like those protests. The question that keeps plaguing me is how, exactly, do we want people to express themselves/protest so that their message is heard?

We don't want them to riot, so we tell them to protest in a more dignified manner. They silently protest and that isn't good enough either. Perhaps we'd all feel more comfortable if people who had grievances would just be totally silent, know their place in society and be happy with their lot in life. Sound good?

This may very well be my favorite post on here.  I agree with every point.  I think Coach Dykes should have been fired but not at all for the kneeling incident.  I think he had every right to back his players.  The fact that it was such an uproar is one reason why most elite players will not be considering Arkansas.

HoopS

Bull crap.

They did it after Kaepernick and after seeing it wasn't well received anywhere. It won't hurt our recruiting.

They should have paid attention to the reaction he got and gone a different route. Somebody gave those girls bad advice.

ricepig

Quote from: HoopS on March 06, 2017, 04:55:38 pm
Bull crap.

They did it after Kaepernick and after seeing it wasn't well received anywhere. It won't hurt our recruiting.

They should have paid attention to the reaction he got and gone a different route. Somebody gave those girls bad advice.

It was as much against Dykes, as the protest was against racial awareness.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: HoggyCat on March 04, 2017, 04:07:41 pm
How many assistants has Bielema lost??  How do we know he's not letting them coach?? Multiple years, multiple different assistants, same results. Think about it.

How has Bielema's recruiting fared? He, in 5 signing classes, hadn't signed a full class on signing day.

Talk about losing the team.....  I have a friend that was behind the bench at the bowl game. There was arguing, pushing & shoving and cussing each other amongst the players. And coughed would just walk right by. Not to mention the Sprinkle debacle at the bowl sponsored store and Waffle House slitting in a guy's face and using a racial slur.

So yeah, they're very much comparable, if you take off your hog colored glasses.

The ONLY difference would be the national anthem debacle, which Jeffi fully supported if you recall. To fire Dykes overvthat would establish him as a two faced liar.

Oh wait, he's already done that.

football record. . .improving or staying the same every year. . .women's basketball. . .not so much.
You bobby petrino lovers need to realize that he's never coming back here.  bret is a great coach.  love ya, dude.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 06, 2017, 11:44:10 am
With what he inherited?  A team that had 63 wins in the 3 years before he got there compared to the 43 in his 3, and that's helped out by a strong team left by TC his first year.  Take that out of the equation and he is a miserable failure that was gaining 0 positive traction.  You think one more year would have made the difference?  Good grief.  Kudos to Jeff Long for not falling back on that axiom of needing more time.  Long supports coaches when they struggle if they have shown progress.  MA, first 4 years progress, last year a set back, this year back to progress.  BB first 3 years progress this year a set back, but I'm sure Long fully supports BB because BB has shown he has a plan and can get better.  If JD had been showing progress on and/or off the court he would have not been fired.

hobhog

Quote from: GoPigs69 on March 06, 2017, 04:51:44 pm
This may very well be my favorite post on here.  I agree with every point.  I think Coach Dykes should have been fired but not at all for the kneeling incident.  I think he had every right to back his players.  The fact that it was such an uproar is one reason why most elite players will not be considering Arkansas.

Uproar? Must have missed it. A few people didn't like it and as usual screamed the loudest but if he had won people would have gone to the games.

Dykes did and said what he had to. But making his firing political is just, well, wrong.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 06, 2017, 11:53:32 am
I don't think it's necessary to call the girls losers though. Would you like someone to call you a loser just for doing something you believed in with all your heart?

The problem is with you liberals who want to make stands against this country is there are a lot of us who love this country with all of our HEARTS!!! I won't even go farther because I know people like you want to attack and bash this country.

You want to show that you don't respect this country and you want to attack people that stand with this country. Thing is it's getting to the point where there will be a push back.

I hate it what is going on in this country. And I believe with all my heart that this country is under attack from American born anti America people. Grown sick of it we are divided and very could well turn into a civil war that will destroy America. Sorry I come here to get away from politics but when you come on here taking up for the people that are disrespecting this country I just don't care about you. And I am not afraid of you stopping me and beating me for voting for Trump!!!! I have been forced to be ready and sad as it is I am ready at all times...To defend myself and this Country!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hobhog on March 06, 2017, 05:44:51 pm
Uproar? Must have missed it. A few people didn't like it and as usual screamed the loudest but if he had won people would have gone to the games.

Dykes did and said what he had to. But making his firing political is just, well, wrong.

Like a few people voted for Trump..LMAO at you guys who don't have a clue. It was a huge big deal. The few people who are screaming are you libtards who think it's ok to live in this country and tear it apart. Yeah there are just a few..You guys aren't the majority no matter how many of you show up to shout and scream and gang up on people. Keep on thinking you know everything..

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2017, 05:00:24 pm

I guess you know what happens inside the Long administration? Or are you dead wrong like always?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HoopS on March 06, 2017, 04:55:38 pm
Bull crap.

If it does shut the program down. If they want you to disrespect this country to play here shut it down.

ricepig

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 06, 2017, 06:02:49 pm
I guess you know what happens inside the Long administration? Or are you dead wrong like always?

Why yes I do, can't remember the last time I was wrong.

AlmaHog2011

I'll pay for you a one way ticket to any country you want to move to? It's people like you living here that make me sick. Move on out. Anyone with a brain can see who the bigots and racists are and they aren't who you are trying to say. Really!

PonderinHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 06, 2017, 05:58:52 pm
The problem is with you liberals who want to make stands against this country is there are a lot of us who love this country with all of our HEARTS!!! I won't even go farther because I know people like you want to attack and bash this country.

You want to show that you don't respect this country and you want to attack people that stand with this country. Thing is it's getting to the point where there will be a push back.

I hate it what is going on in this country. And I believe with all my heart that this country is under attack from American born anti America people. Grown sick of it we are divided and very could well turn into a civil war that will destroy America. Sorry I come here to get away from politics but when you come on here taking up for the people that are disrespecting this country I just don't care about you. And I am not afraid of you stopping me and beating me for voting for Trump!!!! I have been forced to be ready and sad as it is I am ready at all times...To defend myself and this Country!
Not sure if this deserves a

or a

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GoPigs69 on March 06, 2017, 04:51:44 pm

Oh well sports is not the most important thing here. I am fine if players don't want to come to Arkansas because Arkansas fans love this country. Completely fine shut down all the programs and stop playing sports. If we have to cater to athletes that hate this country then move on and shut it all down.

AlmaHog2011

Full retard is what is going on in this country. If what I posted is full retard so be it.
I'm out of here I stand by every word I have posted.

Sorry for getting into something that is not sports related. I'm done with the can't recruit because we don't stand by and let people tear this country to pieces.

hobhog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 06, 2017, 06:01:46 pm
Like a few people voted for Trump..LMAO at you guys who don't have a clue. It was a huge big deal. The few people who are screaming are you libtards who think it's ok to live in this country and tear it apart. Yeah there are just a few..You guys aren't the majority no matter how many of you show up to shout and scream and gang up on people. Keep on thinking you know everything..

WTH?

HoopS

snoblind

AlmaHog2011

Full retard is right when it comes to standing for my country.

PonderinHog

Quote from: snoblind on March 06, 2017, 06:17:08 pm
I think we know.  ;)
Those girls are a threat to our national security!  Arm yourselves!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cityhog on March 06, 2017, 04:47:17 pm

I never said don't acknowledge it's presence. We should do that in order to try to overcome it. I only meant it wasn't as prevalent as some believe but I also think it is more prevalent than others believe not only here but around the world. I as well find the confederate battle flag distasteful but someone flying it from their own home, property or such is not the same thing as protesting while representing an organization. Of course we have a right to protest but those rights are tempered by the courts sometimes depending on the protest and the situation. Why do you think they allow protests but not anywhere and everywhere all the time. One persons right to protest shouldn't infringe on others rights. Back on point though I believe protest should be directed and pointed. As an employer I also have a right to say when and where an employee or others can protest on my property or on my job site or if it interferes with my right to conduct business. Just because someone has a right to do something doesn't mean there might not be consequences. IF someone wants to protest then do so on their OWN time and on either their own property or public property where it wouldn't cause problems for the organization that at the time the protestors time was to be representing. I have NO problem with athletes wanting to protest any injustice they believe in. But do so while NOT wearing a uniform of the organization they are representing. Do you feel a professor that had an exam scheduled at a particular normal class time should give students a "right" to take the test at another place and time for not showing up as scheduled when it was the students responsibility to be there. I don't. A protest is not an emergency.  I'd have no problem with the professor giving them a zero.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2017, 05:00:24 pm

I may be misinterpreting this. Are you stating the players turned on Dykes? Would explain a lot....

Temprees

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 06, 2017, 06:06:10 pm
I'll pay for you a one way ticket to any country you want to move to? It's people like you living here that make me sick. Move on out. Anyone with a brain can see who the bigots and racists are and they aren't who you are trying to say. Really!
Do you consider those who proudly display the Confederate flag as bigots? Or racists?

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on March 06, 2017, 06:23:35 pm
I may be misinterpreting this. Are you stating the players turned on Dykes? Would explain a lot....

Well, he wasn't a nice person if you believe what some said, or let me say as their coach. There was a reason several players and coaches left as soon as possible. Some have said that this was done as a retaliation to his ways, as they knew he couldn't do anything about it, again, from what I've heard.

PorkRinds

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 06, 2017, 05:58:52 pm

Aaaaaaand now the short bus to crazy town.  8)