Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Kleine tweet

Started by HoggyCat, March 03, 2017, 11:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

Huh?  Numbers-wise and ratio-wise isn't this as silly as saying a football team shouldn't have a running backs coach or secondary coach? Any assistant with a specialty seems like a better coaching plan than now.
Quote from: HogBreath on March 04, 2017, 12:26:11 pm
I don't believe it wise to devote an assistant for only 1, at most 2 players each season.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HamIAm on March 04, 2017, 01:25:09 pm
Do you mean never a college head coach?  He was assistant at Arkansas, Sacramento State, Appalachian State, Kentucky, UALR and Oklahoma State.

13 years away from coaching in the college ranks didn't do much to help hone his skills.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

goodguytex

There just isn't any serious comparison between the football and women's basketball situations. Until this past season, the football program had been showing steady improvement in wins and losses every year during Bielemas tenure as HC.

Recruiting rating overall have continued to improve every year under Bielema. Bielema actually has a proven record of success at his previous job, unlike Dykes. Bielema led his team before Arkansas to three conference titles. Dykes doesnt havw that kind of track record. Doesn't look like he was in any way showing improvement or even really trying to get things fixed that need to be fixed.

Bielema at least has tried to make staff changes when he sees who we have isn't getting the job done. He did it with Ash, Chaney, Smith and Segrest. Sometimes replacements work out, sometimes they don't. This should be a year when we see some real success with the football program.

But the women's b-ball program was sinking fast. Had to change direction.

hoglady

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 04, 2017, 05:00:29 pm
He damn near killed a program that was already on life support and he did it rather quickly.  If that's what you want, then he's your man!

Amen, to that!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

(notOM)Rebel123

He damn near killed a program that was already on life support and he did it rather quickly.  If that's what you want, then he's your man!

Bingo!

ricepig

Haters......all of your are just haters......I guess we don't have to worry about you to "Be Arkansas!"

poloprince

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 04, 2017, 08:47:09 am
1 Tournament in 5 years is a '' situation'' since we play in a weak conference . If we were in the ACC , he would have been gone already . That was what Joe was talking about . CBB plays in a NFL DL league and still has 3 straight bowls and recruiting headed the right way . If MA can close the deal at the end of this season with a good run and then sign the kids in November , he deserves another year. Dykes lost the team and families , players , and assistants didn't care for him . He was on a power trip and it brought him down

The first 3 years didn't count for MA. You forgot ??? 
$PoLoPrInCe$

Dwight_K_Shrute

March 04, 2017, 07:15:15 pm #57 Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:01:10 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute
Sour grapes tweet because his buddy was fired. Jeff Long has a track record of supporting his coaches and having their backs if they are doing it the right way and building for long term success.  Jimmy was treated about the same as any coach that gets progressively worse and finishes at the bottom of the league with wholesale player and coach defections.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

tophawg19

Quote from: poloprince on March 04, 2017, 06:45:05 pm
every year counts for MA or any other coach. otherwise JD would be in his first year next year . I don't even give CBB a pass for following Smiley
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 04, 2017, 07:15:15 pm
Sour grapes tweet because his buddy was fired. Jeff Long has a track record of supporting his coaches and having their backs if they are doing it the right way and building for long term success.  Jimmy was treated about the same as any coach that gets progressively worse and finishes at the bottom of the league with wholesale player and coach defections.

Yep. Joe just taking up for his old teammate. It was an experiment that just didn't work. Joe knows that. He needs to go back and watch Tommy cook BBQ for him.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 06:41:28 pm
Haters......all of your are just haters......I guess we don't have to worry about you to "Be Arkansas!"
Caught me...   :-[

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 04, 2017, 08:20:15 pm
Caught me...   :-[

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Good job.

ShadowHawg

The kneeling during the anthem was a bigger deal than simply losing. I know a big time donor that boycotted the men's team as well for the actions of Dykes team and his condoning of it.

That made a lot of people angry.

rude1

Joe is still bitter about being fired from his basketball analyst job for the program, really hasn't had anything to do with the program since. This is the same guy that JFB pretty much fired from his hospital bed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rude1 on March 05, 2017, 03:17:03 am
Joe is still bitter about being fired from his basketball analyst job for the program, really hasn't had anything to do with the program since. This is the same guy that JFB pretty much fired from his hospital bed.

Wrong. I see him at the football games. He still supports the Hogs because he loves the Hogs. That doesn't mean he likes everyone that works there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 05, 2017, 12:57:38 am
The kneeling during the anthem was a bigger deal than simply losing. I know a big time donor that boycotted the men's team as well for the actions of Dykes team and his condoning of it.

Funny how people get more upset by kneeling instead of the reason behind the kneeling but that's The Natural State for ya.

BIE

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 05, 2017, 07:09:24 am
Funny how people get more upset by kneeling instead of the reason behind the kneeling but that's The Natural State for ya.

Disrespecting the flag, anthem, and those who put their lives on the line to defend this country is a misguided form of protest.

But his record and the direction of the program were what cost Jimmy his job.

poloprince

You are reaching here. Losing and arrogance will never keep you employed as a coach.
$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 05, 2017, 08:36:50 am
Allowing disrespect for the flag, anthem, and those who put their lives on the line to defend this country is a misguided form of protest.

But his record and the direction of the program were what cost Jimmy his job.

Maybe your opinion is misguided
$PoLoPrInCe$

rljjr

Quote from: poloprince on March 05, 2017, 08:37:37 am
You are reaching here. Losing and arrogance will never keep you employed as a coach.

Of all the things Jimmy Dykes appears to be, arrogant is not one of them.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 04, 2017, 08:15:45 pm
Yep. Joe just taking up for his old teammate. It was an experiment that just didn't work. Joe knows that. He needs to go back and watch Tommy cook BBQ for him.

Last time I ran into him, he hadn't changed a bit, lol.

AlmaHog2011

It did have a negative impact. I always take a large group of young girls up 3-4 times but after that and the Jackson twitter post saying America never was great I wouldn't take a dog up there. People can say whatever they want but that was huge in the opinions of Dykes..It also will come up first opening for firing Long. If that happens and I think it will.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: poloprince on March 05, 2017, 08:43:08 am

Maybe your opinion is misguided. There are a lot of people who stand for the National Anthem and love this country. Atleast we have learned that there are a large group of people that don't care about this country. Not sure why they continue to live here? They should move to that great county that they are fighting for.

You anti American people can make a lot of noise but you are in the minority. Hope to see a bunch of you leave like you threatened to if Trump was elected.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: poloprince on March 04, 2017, 06:45:05 pm

Should we look at the first 3 years of both coaches?  I am pretty sure that MA had a much better record than Dykes. Let's not forget the previous 2 coaches before MA both had only 1 winning sec record.  We have now had 4 and one that was even and only 1 his first season that was under 500 in conference.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 04, 2017, 08:55:17 am
You have to figure Jimmy ends up in broadcasting.  If so, he'll be on Bo's show in that capacity.
I think that's why the quick trigger (if you believe it was quick trigger as Kleine, I think the timing was just right) on him....to give him a legit shot at being retained by ESPN or Fox Sports in some capacity

ad: notice none of the men basketball team took a knee during the national anthem and most put their right hand over their heart out of respect....Mike was smart, he wasn't going to give anyone any extra fodder to fire at him if the season turned out to be a disaster, which it hasn't...matter of fact, I remember in JUMP BALL, when Mike was at Mizzou, how we would bish and moan about how Mike would beat the UA out on several players, a couple which were JUCO....whether you want to keep or want to get rid of Mike, this may have been his best coaching job ever...melding 3 top-shelf JUCO's into the team isn't an easy task....matter of fact, we wouldn't have gotten JUCO's like Barford, Macon and Cook....those 3, especially the first two, Barford and Macon are stoned cold players
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: poloprince on March 05, 2017, 08:43:08 am

nope.
Hillary lost. Get over it.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 05, 2017, 09:58:43 am
Maybe your opinion is misguided. There are a lot of people who stand for the National Anthem and love this country. Atleast we have learned that there are a large group of people that don't care about this country. Not sure why they continue to live here? They should move to that great county that they are fighting for.

You anti American people can make a lot of noise but you are in the minority. Hope to see a bunch of you leave like you threatened to if Trump was elected.

+1

stevec

I have been in the service and worked for the Army for over three decades.  I have absolutely no problem with political dissent.  There are much more important things to worry about.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: stevec on March 05, 2017, 12:56:27 pm
I have been in the service and worked for the Army for over three decades.  I have absolutely no problem with political dissent.  There are much more important things to worry about.

Thank you for your service to our country.

stevec

PorkRinds

That had zero to do with it. Less than zero. Your big time donor friend sounds like a moron.

PorkRinds

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 05, 2017, 09:52:39 am
It did have a negative impact. I always take a large group of young girls up 3-4 times but after that and the Jackson twitter post saying America never was great I wouldn't take a dog up there. People can say whatever they want but that was huge in the opinions of Dykes..It also will come up first opening for firing Long. If that happens and I think it will.

Some of y'all are dad blamed ignernt.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 08:52:08 am
Last time I ran into him, he hadn't changed a bit, lol.

True. Ran into TH up here last year. You are correct.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 12:58:57 pm
That had zero to do with it. Less than zero. Your big time donor friend sounds like a moron.

No...it had more than "zero" to do with it. Maybe not a deciding factor, but it had some impact. Not sure where you live, but there were some angry contributors here in NWA. People whose opinions matter.

PorkRinds

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 05, 2017, 01:06:47 pm
No...it had more than "zero" to do with it. Maybe not a deciding factor, but it had some impact. Not sure where you live, but there were some angry contributors here in NWA. People whose opinions matter.

Most people (including those you speak of) really mean little in the bigger picture.  Sure if enough of them teamed up they could pressure someone into making decisions, but these days they really have no power at all. Before Long they may have had some pull but there is no GOBN any longer that makes much of a difference. They may kid these moves and others into thinking their money gives them a say. It doesn't. Not even close. The days of their money making them important are over.   

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 01:15:09 pm
Most people (including those you speak of) really mean little in the bigger picture.  Sure if enough of them teamed up they could pressure someone into making decisions, but these days they really have no power at all. Before Long they may have had some pull but there is no GOBN any longer that makes much of a difference. They may kid these moves and others into thinking their money gives them a say. It doesn't. Not even close.

Ok.

ricepig

Most people (including those you speak of) really mean little in the bigger picture.  Sure if enough of them teamed up they could pressure someone into making decisions, but these days they really have no power at all. Before Long they may have had some pull but there is no GOBN any longer that makes much of a difference. They may kid these moves and others into thinking their money gives them a say. It doesn't. Not even close. The days of their money making them important are over.   

Not to the women's program.......

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 01:00:51 pm
Some of y'all are dad blamed ignernt.

Man I love guys like you. You want to beat me up? Only a dumbass nuttjob like you would think that the kneeling had nothing to do with his firing. I know for a fact it has had a huge impact. STFU!

AlmaHog2011

Wow you don't have a clue. Bigtime donors always have had a great impact and always will. Money will always have influence and that includes your boy Long.

IronMountainHog

The power structure has changed in Arkansas. You are correct in one sense, that donors have little say. That would be the donors in central Arkansas (LR area specifically) who at one time had a say in matters. Not anymore. Just like in Arkansas politics, the power grid is now based in the Northwest part of the state. If a Lindsey or Tyson or a Walton want a change, it gets done.

Potosihog

Did the kneeling have an impact? Yes, because we lost a lot of games.  It was like Nolan's "They can pay me" statement.  Those things are tolerated if you are winning. 

Jimmy is a genuinely good guy.  I think he was losing the team before the kneeling.  If he would have opposed them in that situation he would not have had a team to play with.  Unfortunately it just delayed the outcome.

I wish him well.

Youngsta71701

I'm sorry but Joe Kleine puts me in the mind of Bill Walton with a totally opposite voice. I know he's an Arkansas legend but I'm just saying.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Brandon72

Wish they would have lost every game after the kneeling debacle, but him losing his job works.  Bye-bye....move to Iran.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Brandon72 on March 05, 2017, 05:10:24 pm
Wish they would have lost every game after the kneeling debacle, but him losing his job works.  Bye-bye....move to Iran.
I think the girls put him in a no win situation. He wanted to support the troops, the US, the national anthem, the flag and all it stands for. But at the same time he wanted to show support for his girls and let them express their freedom as being US citizens. He couldn't win, no matter what he did he was gonna be wrong.

I'm pretty sure the kneeling thing wasn't his idea.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Brandon72

Pretty sure he would have had tremendous support by benching the kneeling losers.  1st amendment just means the government cannot punish one.  It does not guarantee one is free of backlash.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: Brandon72 on March 05, 2017, 05:33:39 pm
Pretty sure he would have had tremendous support by benching the kneeling losers.  1st amendment just means the government cannot punish one.  It does not guarantee one is free of backlash.
of course then he wouldn't have had a team.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 05, 2017, 05:23:19 pm
I think the girls put him in a no win situation. He wanted to support the troops, the US, the national anthem, the flag and all it stands for. But at the same time he wanted to show support for his girls and let them express their freedom as being US citizens. He couldn't win, no matter what he did he was gonna be wrong.

I'm pretty sure the kneeling thing wasn't his idea.
Well said.  He was in a no win situation.  I still don't get why kneeling during the anthem means you are protesting the way police are treating suspects.  Those are two completely different issues that have nothing to do with each other.  if you want to draw attention to police brutality then hold a press conference, sit down with powerful law enforcement people, etc.,  Kneeling during the anthem just ticks off people because it's disrespectful to America.   I just don't get it. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 05, 2017, 09:52:39 am
You are absolutely correct. The administration at the university was stunned by the scope of the backlash. It had an impact in his departure. It wasn't the only factor but it was significant. I can tell you that up on the Hill they are hoping this whole thing will go away now that a change has been made.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 05, 2017, 05:47:35 pm
Well said.  He was in a no win situation.  I still don't get why kneeling during the anthem means you are protesting the way police are treating suspects.  Those are two completely different issues that have nothing to do with each other.  if you want to draw attention to police brutality then hold a press conference, sit down with powerful law enforcement people, etc.,  Kneeling during the anthem just ticks off people because it's disrespectful to America.   I just don't get it. 

Exactly!

HoopS

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2017, 05:58:41 pm
You are absolutely correct. The administration at the university was stunned by the scope of the backlash. It had an impact in his departure. It wasn't the only factor but it was significant. I can tell you that up on the Hill they are hoping this whole thing will go away now that a change has been made.
so either
Mike is also wrong, or what I and some others tried to tell some of you is indeed correct. You can criticize me for telling you the truth and say I have an agenda if you want. And I do have an agenda. To be honest about things even when they don't make you happy. It's the truth.