Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dykes resigns

Started by ricepig, March 03, 2017, 04:13:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Vantage 8 dude

In a sense I'm sorry to hear this. Nice guy and a very loyal Arkansas alum; however, just based on his coaching performance it's not the worst news in the world. While the SEC women's depth is strong and as such a tough schedule, this year's team in particular pretty much collapsed the latter part of the year. IMO at times they looked like they were merely going through the motions. While the LadyBacks may not have had the best talent in the league, I do believe they should have shown much better, particularly against teams that weren't any more talent as they are.

daBoar

Sad, he was a very good color commentator; I hope he's not perceived as old news.

BloodRedHog

Well, I hope he goes back into TV. He was good.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

phadedhawg

Quote from: BloodRedHog on March 03, 2017, 04:21:40 pm
Well, I hope he goes back into TV. He was good.

yep...he should.  I miss hearing him

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hogfan98

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogfan98 on March 03, 2017, 04:55:50 pm
Go get Vic Schaefer.

Mike Neighbors would be more realistic.

hogfan98

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 05:02:29 pm

That's also a good choice.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 05:02:29 pm

Mike's got a top 10 program. I know he's from Greenwood but why would he leave to come here?

ShadowHawg

Been down on Dykes since he was proud of his girls for not standing for the anthem.

I guess this means he won't be the men's coach? Lol

Sivad

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 03, 2017, 05:10:39 pm
Been down on Dykes since he was proud of his girls for not standing for the anthem.
That was probably the beginning of the end for him. Sad. He is a very nice guy and handled his firing with grace. Wish him the best.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Sivad on March 03, 2017, 05:13:35 pm
That was probably the beginning of the end for him. Sad. He is a very nice guy and handled his firing with grace. Wish him the best.

I agree that he is a nice guy. It would have been great if it had worked out for him. I figure he will land on his feet though. Wouldn't surprise me at all if surfaced on the SEC network..

k.c.hawg

Sad that this is the narrative, this far removed. Anyone that thinks the coach determined the message in that situation is ill informed, all though that might have been his actual opinion. That statement was 100% approved and rubber stamped by the athletic administration and the University administration.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

deserthog

Dykes should replace Delk on SEC NOW. Bradley and Dykes, how great would that be!

Hawgphish

Get Joe Foley and be done with it.

I think he "resigned."

Hogs run wild

dykes needs to do color (radio) for the men's team. whoever they have doing it now sucks.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 03, 2017, 06:14:36 pm
dykes needs to do color (radio) for the men's team. whoever they have doing it now sucks.

To get back to the OP I agree. Dykes would be better than Chuck.

Hawgphish

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 03, 2017, 06:14:36 pm
Matt Zimmerman was asst coach last year but replaced by Scotty Thurman this year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 03, 2017, 05:08:34 pm
Mike's got a top 10 program. I know he's from Greenwood but why would he leave to come here?

Because his all American senior who has carried his program is on her way out. Stock will never be higher than it is now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 03, 2017, 06:16:26 pm
To get back to the OP I agree. Dykes would be better than Chuck.

Chuck isn't the color guy. He is play by play. And Chuck does a fine job.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 06:34:47 pm

Yeah I just don't care for him. Point taken though.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 06:34:47 pm

Chuck is awful. You will hear the crowd roar about something and it will take him about a 2 second delay before he can catch up enough to describe what happened.

I think he was great at baseball, ok at football, and a disaster at basketball.

tee1up2par

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 06:34:13 pm
Because his all American senior who has carried his program is on her way out. Stock will never be higher than it is now.

I think Mike would jump at the chance to come home. He stays in regular contact with many of his school buddies via Facebook and text plus mama is still in Greenwood.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

BigSexyHog

Maybe he can continue to kneel with his girls.  Bye
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 03, 2017, 07:18:21 pm
Chuck is awful. You will hear the crowd roar about something and it will take him about a 2 second delay before he can catch up enough to describe what happened.

I think he was great at baseball, ok at football, and a disaster at basketball.

We agree. But for me its not the delays. Its the nasaly yoda thing. Who heard that guy speak and decided yeah thats who I want calling our games !!!  :puke:

ricepig

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 03, 2017, 07:57:12 pm
Not true. It wouldn't have cost nearly as much as the program lost from the whole John L fiasco. But don't let that stop you from preaching the Universities message. You asked me if I was in the office. What if I was ? What if I know somebody who knows what was said ? Do you honestly think that Jeff didn't give Bobby a list of ultimatums ? Plenty of people will tell you that he did. I'm not going to argue with you about something I KNOW. And IF people sued. IF is a really big word there to get rid of the best coach in decades.

Your damn straight he gave him some options, but BP thought he was bluffing and wouldn't fire him, so he said FU.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: BigSexyHog on March 03, 2017, 08:00:34 pm
Maybe he can continue to kneel with his girls.  Bye

Lol thats what I'm talking about. As a marine that ticked me off too. And of course Jeff was in full support. He would be.

ricepig

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 03, 2017, 08:03:29 pm
Hey I really don't want to derail this thread. Bob didn't think he was bluffing. Bob just knew he had more value than to be told how to coach by an uppity yankee. So he started over. Like I said, Long overplayed his hand.

It wasn't over coaching, lol. Anyway, the Dykes experiment didn't work, time for  a real coach. .

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 08:08:31 pm
It wasn't over coaching, lol. Anyway, the Dykes experiment didn't work, time for  a real coach. .
Dykes' big mistake was not demanding a fifteen million dollar buyout.   ;D

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 03, 2017, 08:10:35 pm
Dykes' big mistake was not demanding a fifteen million dollar buyout.   ;D

Amateur

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Back to the OP. I think his buyout was at 750K .. Does he get that even if he resigns ?

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 03, 2017, 08:57:11 pm
Back to the OP. I think his buyout was at 750K .. Does he get that even if he resigns ?
He was fired. Call it what you want. Read Joe Kleine's tweets.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Ok I'll check that out.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on March 03, 2017, 08:59:33 pm
He was fired. Call it what you want. Read Joe Kleine's tweets.

Joe isn't exactly portraying an unbiased view of the situation.

Timfromlittlerockhog

No Joe is ticked. Its his friend. Its to be expected.

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 09:09:35 pm
Joe isn't exactly portraying an unbiased view of the situation.
I'm not saying he is. But if Dykes quit on his own, Joe wouldn't be so upset.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Karma on March 03, 2017, 09:20:07 pm
I'm not saying he is. But if Dykes quit on his own, Joe wouldn't be so upset.

True. I hope he doesnt get back into broadcasting and go negative on the program.

ricepig

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Hawgphish on March 03, 2017, 05:46:41 pm
Get Joe Foley and be done with it.

If they land a coach from a top 20 program then I understand the hire but if we end up with another no experience or unproven and Foley isn't at least pursued, then I have serious doubts about those making the hires.

Steef

Okay!

All the "I hate Jeff & Bret but love Bobby" crap is cleaned out!

Cut the thread in half, it did.

This thread is sbout Dykes. Lets keep it that way.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogfan98 on March 03, 2017, 04:55:50 pm
Go get Vic Schaefer.

Here is who I would contact to see if he would be interested.

"Carl Ramsey begins his eighth season as the Head Women's Basketball Coach at the University of the Ozarks. Ramsey has guided four of his teams to the post-season and has coached four players on the prestigious Academic All-District Team during his tenure. Ramsey turned a struggling program into a contender in just his second year at Ozarks. Ramsey's team qualified for the playoffs and posted the program's first winning record in nearly a decade in year two, orchestrating a seven-game improvement from the previous season. For his accomplishments, Ramsey was voted the American Southwest Conference East Division Coach of the Year."

"Ramsey made the jump to his alma mater after building one of the top high school girl's basketball programs in Arkansas. In 29 years at Lamar High School (Ark.), Ramsey posted a 660-227 (.744) overall record and led the program to eight state tournament appearances, including winning state titles in 1988 and 1991. At Lamar, he was voted the Conference Coach of the Year 10 times and was a five-time KARV Dream Team Coach of the Year honoree."

http://www.uofoathletics.com/sports/wbkb/coaches/Head_Women-s_Basketball_Coach?view=bio

pigture perfect

I like Jimmy as a person, but lost confidence in him as a coach when he allowed his team to kneel during the anthem. I think that's when he lost the fans and the team.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

texas tush hog

You might notice that Colin Kaapernick has been dropped by the 49ers as well. Good luck to him in free agency.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 04, 2017, 09:29:17 am
You might notice that Colin Kaapernick has been dropped by the 49ers as well. Good luck to him in free agency.

Interesting it has been repoeted he will stop his protest and no longer kneel during the National Anthem. I guess to him getting a new job takes precedence over his protest. What a hypocrite.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

Something behind the scenes must have been bad for them to force Jimmy out.  I'll presume that was the reason.  Otherwise, even with two bad years, it seems quick in a non-revenue sport that, frankly, only a very small percentage of the fan base even cares about (rightly or wrongly).  I'm sure the more cynical minded will say it is Long trying to look decisisive in the wake of his continued support of modest results in both major revenue sports.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 04, 2017, 01:19:17 am
I like Jimmy as a person, but lost confidence in him as a coach when he allowed his team to kneel during the anthem. I think that's when he lost the fans and the team.

This is about where I landed also. I purposely avoided watching the kneelers play this season.  They made their choice, fans made theirs as well.  Now Jeff made his.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy