Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Women's Basketball Tournament Report

Started by LadybackBBFan, March 03, 2017, 07:51:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

I decided to give my analysis of the first two days having now seen 10 of the 14 teams in the SEC - two of them twice plus Arkansas - too many times.
1. Tennessee has the most talented team, in spite of them loosing.  They are so hard to figure out - who is going to show up.
2. Alabama is for real - they are loaded with talent at the freshman and sophomore class.  Their point guard, Jordon Lewis, is very good - she runs the team and was all freshman, but a lot better than Mason.  She looks like a smaller version of Anriel Howard of Texas A &M who plays a different position of course.  The post player, Ashley Knight - 6'5" -, also a freshman, is a real load and she will give Kentucky fits.  They did loose to Kentucky at Kentucky right before we beat Alabama, but I think they could beat Kentucky unless playing for the third straight day - they are too worn out.  I can tell you we would not beat Alabama today - when I watched them for two games - I wondered how we ever beat them and without Jackson.
3. Texas A & M has a lot of talent, but uses only six players and the sixth player played maybe 10 minutes yesterday.  They have a lot of talent, but I believe Missouri will beat them as they did in the regular season at Texas A & M.  Incidentally, if they do win, it will be Missouri's first victory in its fifth SEC tournament.
4. As far as the other six teams who have played, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, and Vanderbilt, we have as much if not more talent than any of them.  They also represent many of the close losses that we had in addition to Kentucky and Mississippi State.  What is the difference then.  One simple answer:  THEY HAVE BETTER COACHING - WAKE UP JEFF LONG! AND DO YOUR JOB!

As far as Arkansas rumors here, they left the motel Wednesday evening and flew home.  However, their is a rumor that parents were seen in a heated argument with the coach after the game.  We can all believe that as I would have been if I was a parent and I have also experienced some of that in my coaching experience.

Pig_Lebowski

Well it wouldn't be girls basketball without a parent/coach confrontation.

logic

Quote from: Pig_Lebowski on March 03, 2017, 09:08:19 am
Well it wouldn't be girls basketball without a parent/coach confrontation.
A coach cannot allow a parent to dictate coaching or what position and how much their daughter plays.  About all a coach can do is to treat the players fairly. Of course some parents can only see things from the viewpoint that their daughter is the better player and will not be satisfied even though disinterested observers would know that she is not.

GoPigs69

LadybackBBFan

Fridays Report:
Alabama ran out of gas.  Kentucky played extremely well and will give South Carolina a good fight if they play today like they played yesterday.

Georgia was out classed by South Carolina.  Coates was not even present in the gym?  Best guess is that she stayed back in Columbia to hehab.

Moncrief tried to beat Mississippi State all by herself.  Niki did a great job of coaching.  However, McCowan and her height took over down the stretch as the best team won.

Missouri relied on the three and was up early, but Gary woke A&M up and Missouri died by the three.  Gary clearly outcoached the SEC regular coach of the year.  Missouri is now 0 - 5 in SEC conference tournament games.

Really looking forward to the Mississippi State and A&M game tonight.  Maybe Jeff Long could get Vic to come and Gary to retire and be his honoree assistant.  Good dream anyway.