Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Softball in Boca - FAMU #2 - W

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 26, 2017, 08:14:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

February 26, 2017, 08:14:12 am Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:20:36 am by psycHOGlogist
It's not exactly Breakfast at Wimbledon, but here we go -- last game of the FAU Invitational for the Hogs.
Kentucky beat Connecticut and FAU yesterday, fyi.

Same line-up, Storms in the circle

Canfield - CF
Hiers - C
Schroeder - RF
Cooper - LF
Diaz - 1b
Warrick - DP
Belans - SS
Yannetti - 2b
Russell - 3b

Storms - P

T1 (we're away)

Canfield triples to RC.
Hiers doubles, scoring Canfield, 1-0  :razorback:
Hiers advances to 3rd on WP.
Schroeder grounds out to 2b, but Hiers scores, 2-0.
Cooper singles.
Cooper advances on WP
Diaz singles, Cooper scores from 2b, Diaz advances to 2b on the throw home.
Diaz advances on a WP.
Warrick singles, Diaz scores. Diaz to 2b on the throw.
Belans singles, but is thrown out at first after rounding the base too far and looking to stretch it, but while she's in trouble Warrick scores, 5-0  :razorback:
Yannetti lines out to RF.

Nice way to start!

Due up for Rattlers: top of the order.

psycHOGlogist

B1

Storms works a 1-2-3 inning.
Leadoff hitter grounds to 3b.
2 hole hitter K's swinging
3 hitter lines out to Russell.

Due up for Hogs in T2 - Russell, Canfield, Hiers.

psycHOGlogist

T2 - Pitching change for Rattlers.

Russell tries to bunt, but they make a nice play to get her at 1b.
Canfield hits lazy fly to CF, but they drop it. Canfield ends up on 3b.
Hiers walks on 4 pitches.
Schroeder pops out to SS, 2 outs, runners on corners for Cooper.
Canfield scores (unearned) on a passed ball, Hiers to 2b. 6-0  :razorback:
Cooper walks - runners on 1/2 for Diaz.
Diaz flies out to LF.

Due up to face Storms: 4-5-6 hitters.

psycHOGlogist

B2
4 hitter grounds to SS, 1 down.
Storms racks up her 2nd K on the 5 hitter - froze her with a change.
6 hitter hits a comebacker to Storms, who makes the nice grab and throws to 1b, 3 outs.

Just a thought - Storms and Warrick in the circle both appear able to field their position well, and they're tall -- at least taller than Moll (who isn't short). There have been at least a couple plays that they've made on defense that I don't think we could've made last year with any of our pitchers. So - good!

Due up in T3 - Warrick, Belans, Yannetti

psycHOGlogist

T3

Warrick hits a can of corn to RF, 1 down.
Belans BLASTS one over the LF wall, a no doubter off the bat. 7-0 :razorback: .
Yannetti grounds out to 3b. 2 down.
Russell smashes one right at the pitchers legs - she almost makes a play, but it rolls away, and Russell easily makes it to 1b. Gotta love how Russell turns over the lineup.
Canfield grounds out to 1b on the first pitch, though. 3 outs.

Due up - the 7-8-9 hitters. 7-0 for the  :razorback:

psycHOGlogist

B3
Pitching change for the Hogs - Stewart comes in to P

Stewart gets a swinging K for her first strike.
She works the count full, but Stewart gets another swinging K for out 2. Nice off-speed pitch.
And she strikes out the side! Great job!!!

Due up for the Hogs - Hiers, Schroeder, Cooper.

psycHOGlogist

T4

Hiers laces a single through the left side.
Schroeder crushes the first pitch over the left field wall - easy HR. 9-0  :razorback: and run rule now in effect.
Cooper knocks the first pitch through the right side for a single.
Diaz hits a soft grounder to SS, they get Cooper at 2b, 1 down.
Hedgcock gets an AB for Warrick! Beringhele runs for Diaz at 1b.
Hedgcock grounds a single through the left side, Beringhele to 2b.
Belans pops out to shallow RF.
Yannetti flies out to LF, ending the inning. Some good stuff there - HR for Nicole, Hedgcock's first at-bat and hit...

To B4 - Stewart to face the top of the order. 9-0  :razorback:

flippinhogmana

got a cup of coffee and bacon over here for you Psych, in case you need a pick me up!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Hahaha - thanks! I'm good, though!

flippinhogmana

February 26, 2017, 08:54:43 am #9 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:59:08 am by flippinhogmana
softball at 8:00 in the morning is serious business, just thought you might see a little humor in that brother....
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

B4 -
Stewart gets the first out on a high chop to SS, Belans with the nice throw. 1 down.
Next batter hits a tailing fly to RF, and we make a diving catch. Not sure if that's still Schroeder out there b/c the pbp has frozen, but it was a great defensive play! 2 down.
Well, there goes the no hitter. The 3 hitter plops a single into LF.
Stewart's control is a little here and there, but since no one's been on base it hasn't mattered. Let's see what happens here.
Answer: nothing - Stewart gets out #3 on a grounder to 2b.

T5 due up: Russell, Canfield, Hiers.

flippinhogmana

did the feed from Boca break down or is this an exceptionally long AB for Yani?

flippinhogmana

i guess after reloading and reading your post my question is answered.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 26, 2017, 08:57:57 am
did the feed from Boca break down or is this an exceptionally long AB for Yani?

I'm following on the Periscope account now - which is great, btw. A parent is filming it from behind home plate on the RazorbackSB periscope account.

psycHOGlogist

T5

Russell pops out to 2b.
Hailey MacKay gets the at bat for Canfield.
She hits a chopper to 3b, 2 out.
Archuleta up for Hiers.
She looks a bit lost on her first two swings. And her 3rd - all misses.

To B5 Hedgcock will come on to pitch and face the 5-6-7 batters.

psycHOGlogist

February 26, 2017, 09:06:41 am #15 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:26:21 am by psycHOGlogist
B5

Looks like Archuleta stayed in to catch.
And PPock is at 2b.
Sigh, Hedgcock gets a grounder to 2b, but PPock boots it. Runner is safe. It was a hard hit, but probably an out. Runner on 1. No outs.
Next batter flies out to RF - not too deep. 1 out.
Next batter grounds one to hole betw 3b and SS, Belans makes a GREAT play to her right to field it and get the out at 2b. 2 down, runner on 1.... and the video feed dies. So ... now I have no idea. The pbp is still down. lol

Softball twitter says Parr is in RF, Bugarin in LF. Just fyi.
Okay - feed is back up, FAMU has runners at 2/3 after a WP. But Hedgcock retires the 3rd batter on a comebacker, game over.

Not sure if FAMU got one across or not, but the game is over via run rule, so it was either 9-0 or 9-1.

UPDATE - It was 9-0. Hedgcock must have walked the 2nd runner in the inning, because SB twitter says it was a 1-hit shut out.

Great work!

WPS!

flippinhogmana

psycHOGlogist

February 26, 2017, 09:37:23 am #17 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:53:26 pm by psycHOGlogist
With this win, Arkansas passes its win total from last year. We are 11-1, with a midweek game against OK State coming up and a home tournament with Lamar, IUPUI, and Nebraska coming up, followed by a midweek double-bill against UMKC before we head to Alabama to open SEC play. That's 8 more games before starting the SEC slate (which will undoubtedly be very tough).

We were 10-39 last year.

Edit: We were actually 17-39 last year. The UA website has incorrect information on it - sorry for perpetuating this misinformation here.

We have a good chance at winning all of those 8 games, and we'd be favorites to win in 6 of them, I'd think. That would put us somewhere between 17-19 wins heading into our conference schedule. We also have 10 non-con games interspersed throughout the conference season (Notre Dame x 3, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Tulsa x 2, Missouri State, UL-Monroe, Jackson St).

Lots of opportunities for us to get some good wins out there, both in and out of conference. Should be a fun season to follow!

sw403

Sounding good.  Thanks for keeping us up to date!