Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Late Starting pbp - Softball vs FAU - L

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 24, 2017, 05:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 05:43:40 pm Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:58:35 pm by psycHOGlogist
We join our game in the B4. It's a pitchers' duel so far.

Hogs are up 1-0 on the strength of a Tori Cooper solo shot in the T2. Other than that, we are hitless against the FAU ace pitcher.

On the upside, Storms is also throwing a gem. She just gave up her first hit of the game, a double to the leadoff hitter, in the B4.
Otherwise, she has mowed the FAU hitters down in order. She has 7 k's through 3 2/3 innings.

Runner steals third, and then comes home when Hiers throws the ball into RF - 1-1.

Storms gets the third out on a grounder to Belans.

To the T5, Hogs 1, FAU Owls 1. I'll do the lineup in the next post.

psycHOGlogist

T5

Same batting order as first game today (though they tweeted out a different one):

1. Canfield
2. Hiers
3. Schroeder
4. Warrick
5. Cooper
6. Diaz
7. Belans
8. Yannetti
9. Russell

Storms in the circle.

Diaz starts out the 5th with a pop-out to 1b.
Belans reaches on E3.
Yannetti strikes out swinging.
Runner on 1st, 2 out, for Russell.
Russell singles. Bugarin PR for Belans at 2b.
Canfield is retired on a grounder to 2b.

Due up for FAU - the 5-6-7 spots.

psycHOGlogist

B5

FAU gets a leadoff double, and she is PR for.
Next batter grounds to Yannetti at 2b, who throws to 3rd to get the lead runner. Batter safe at first on FC. 1 out, runner on first. (Good job, defense!)
Storms K's the FAU pinch hitter, 2 outs.
Batter is credited with a single, both runners advance (to 2nd/3rd) on a throwing error by Belans.
Two out, two on for the 9 hitter.
Next batter doubles, scoring two - both described as unearned. 3-1 FAU.
Storms gets the next hitter to ground out.

All of FAU's runs are unearned. C'mon, defense!

Due up for Arkansas in T6: Hiers, Schroeder, Warrick.

psycHOGlogist

T6
Hiers swings at the third strike, 1 down. Their pitcher is very good.
Schroeder pops out to RF, 2 down.
Warrick watches strike 3.

Ugh.

Storms back to the circle to face the 2-3-4 hitters.

psycHOGlogist

B6

Leadoff hitter with a bunt single. (3 innings in a row the leadoff batter gets on.)
Next batter grounds to SS and we get the lead runner on a FC, 1 down.
Next batter grounds to 2b, with same result - we get the lead runner. 2 down, runner on 1st.
And the third out is the same as the first - grounder to SS, we force the lead runner at 2nd.

Last chance for the Hogs, who'll send Cooper, Diaz, and Belans to the plate T7.

psycHOGlogist

T7 -
Cooper starts us off with a single up the middle.
Diaz strikes out swinging.
Belans goes down swinging, as well.
Up to Yannetti now.
Yannetti works a walk, runners on 1/2 for Russell, 2 down. Parr pinch runs for Yannetti.
And Russell ends the game with a pop-up to 1b.

Tempting to say they should have PH for Russell, but she had already gotten a hit against this pitcher (no small feat), so leaving her in makes sense, imo.

Well, they were never going to win them all. Sucks that the defense cost us the game and wasted Storms fantastic pitching performance.

We play UConn at 10:15 (Arkansas time) tomorrow morning.
Hope we return to our winning ways!!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 24, 2017, 06:15:36 pm
T7 -
Cooper starts us off with a single up the middle.
Diaz strikes out swinging.
Belans goes down swinging, as well.
Up to Yannetti now.
Yannetti works a walk, runners on 1/2 for Russell, 2 down. Parr pinch runs for Yannetti.
And Russell ends the game with a pop-up to 1b.

Tempting to say they should have PH for Russell, but she had already gotten a hit against this pitcher (no small feat), so leaving her in makes sense, imo.

Well, they were never going to win them all. Sucks that the defense cost us the game and wasted Storms fantastic pitching performance.

We play UConn at 10:15 (Arkansas time) tomorrow morning.
Hope we return to our winning ways!!

Ditto on both points.  But we were playing the #23 ranked team.  It was good to see the team go toe to toe with them.  I think it showed an improvement in every category but defense (it should be noted though that FAU also had two errors, same as us, but their errors just weren't as critical).  Two things:  I hope the team and Storms bounce back well from the loss and regain the momentum.  They get another crack at FAU, lets see how they do the second time around.  That should be telling as to how much improvement they have actually made.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Actually, they get another crack at FAMU, not FAU (I can't tell you how many times I messed that up today, at various points. Those two teams ought not to be allowed to play the same tournament!).

One other relatively sad point is that Belans, who made the error that cost us the two unearned runs in the 5th, actually had a nice day (otherwise) in the field, making several nice plays and throws. Timing is everything. (Similarly, Hiers threw out two attempted stealers in the first game, but in the nightcap she chucked it into left field, costing the first run.) You gotta be consistent to be great.

But at this point, I will be happy with just plain good -- and I think/hope they are on the way there.

sw403