Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Softball in Boca vs. FAMU - W

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 24, 2017, 12:56:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 12:56:24 pm Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:58:17 pm by psycHOGlogist
Moll in the circle for the first game this weekend. Some movement in the batting order, as Diaz has moved down (justified, imo), and Cooper starting in LF.

1. Canfield - CF
2. Hiers - C
3. Schroeder - RF
4. Warrick - DP
5. Cooper - LF
6. Diaz - 1b
7. Belans - SS
8. Yannetti - 2b
9 Russell - 3b

FAMU is a decent team, but one I would think we should do well against. FAU, who we play next, can put out the top pitcher in the country (in terms of ERA) from last season, so could be interesting.

psycHOGlogist

T1 -

Moll off to a rocky start, control wise. She walks the first two batters (the first of whom had already advanced to 2nd on a passed ball).

We get an interesting double play - K and Caught Stealing at 3rd base (yay, Hiers!).

3rd out comes on a K, looking.

2 BB's but 2K's and a caught stealing. It's never dull with Moll out there! :-)

B1 - Due up - top of the order.

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 01:00:36 pm #2 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:35:47 pm by psycHOGlogist
B1

Canfield singles to RF.
Hiers lines to 2b, Canfield gets doubled off on first. 2 down.
Schroeder singles up the middle, advances to 2b on WP.
Warrick grounds out to 3b.

Moll to face 5-6-7 hitters for FAMU in T2.

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 01:04:35 pm #3 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:36:41 pm by psycHOGlogist
T2 -

5 hitter lines out to Yanetti.
6 hitter hits comebacker to Moll.
And so does the 7 hitter - 3 up, 3 down.

Cooper, Diaz, and Belans due up for the Hogs. 

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 01:13:05 pm #4 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:35:25 pm by psycHOGlogist
B2 -

Cooper grounds out to 1b.
Diaz grounds out to SS
Belans reaches, E6, and advances to 2b on the play.
Yannetti grounds out to SS.

Due up for FAMU - 8-9-1 hitters.

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 01:15:13 pm #5 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:36:26 pm by psycHOGlogist
T3

Moll K's the 8 hitter, swinging.
9-hitter lines out to Russell.
Moll gets her 4th K to end the inning.

Due up for the Hogs - Russell, Canfield, Hiers.

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 01:24:16 pm #6 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:36:04 pm by psycHOGlogist
B3

Russell works a walk. (She is having a really nice pre-conference season so far, fwiw. Hitting for good percentage, not many E's, turning the lineup over regularly -- everything you'd want from a non-power hitting 3b/9-hole hitter).

Canfield with the infield single, Russell moves up to 2b. Runners 1st/2nd for Hiers.
Hiers hits grounder to SS, who gets Russell at 3rd, FC. Runners 1st/2nd for Schroeder, 1 down.
Double steal! Hiers to 2nd, Canfield to 3rd.
Schroeder knocks in Canfield on a FC, everyone safe (must have thrown home and not gotten the runner?). 1st and 3rd for Warrick, 1 down.
Warrick reaches on the 2nd E6 of the game for FAMU, scoring Hiers (looks like it was a throwing error to 1b). Runners 1st/2nd for Cooper, 1 down.
Cooper K's.
Diaz delivers single up the middle, but Schroeder is thrown out at home trying to score. End of the 3rd, Hogs up 2-0.

2-3-4 hitters due up to face Moll in T4

psycHOGlogist

T4 -
Moll K's the 2 hitter, swinging.
3 hitter singles up the middle for FAMU's first hit of the day.
4 hitter grounds out to 1b, runner advances to 2b, 2 down.
5 hitter also grounds out to 1b, unassisted.

Due up for the Hogs in B4 - Belans, Yannetti, Russell

psycHOGlogist

B4
Belans grounds out to 3b
Yannetti singles through left side.
Russell bunts a single, Yannetti advances to 2b. 2 on, 1 out for Canfield.
Beringhele PR for Yannetti.
Canfield singles (she's now 3-3!) through left side, Beringhele scores, Russell to 3b, Canfield on 1b, 1 out for Hiers.
Hiers lines out to SS.
Schroeder flies out to CF for the third out.

Score is now 3-0 :razorback:

Due up for FAMU - 6-7-8 hitters.

flippinhogmana

Good to see Canfield break out of her slump in a big way!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

psycHOGlogist

T5

6 hitter singles.
She is then picked off trying to steal - whoa, Hiers is 2-2!
7 hitter whiffs, swinging.
8 hitter whiffs, swinging, for Moll's 7th K in 5 innings (impressed!) After the 1st, she's been all business.

Due up for the  :razorback: Warrick, Cooper, Diaz

psycHOGlogist

B5

Warrick legs out an infield single, Parr comes in to run for her.
Cooper reaches on the 3rd E6 of the game for the Rattlers, Parr safe at 2nd. Runners at 1/2 for Diaz, no outs.
Diaz lines out to RF. She is now 1-3 and making contact. Hope she is rounding into form at the plate. Runners at 1/2 for Belans, 1 out.
Belans delivers a clutch single up the middle, Parr scores from 2nd, Cooper to third, and Belans to 2b on the throw home. 4-0 :razorback: s
PPock runs for Belans.
Yannetti gets the ground out RBI to SS, Cooper scores, PPock to 3rd. Runner on 3rd, 2 out for Russell.
Russell goes down swinging (maybe my praise above jinxed her, but she is still doing really well!)

Due up for the Rattlers: 9-1-2.

psycHOGlogist

T6
Parr stays in to play RF, Schroeder becomes DP.

Moll starts out with her 8th K.
Next batter grounds to Russell, 2 down.
Next hitter gets a nubber infield single.
But Moll gets the next hitter to ground to 3b, ending the inning.

Due up for the Hogs: top of the order.

psycHOGlogist

B6

Pitching change for the Rattlers - Snider on in place of Burse.

Canfield gets her 4th hit of the day - a single up the middle, and goes to 2b when the CF boots it. Well how about that!
Hiers gets plunked. 2 on, 0 out for Schroeder. (An HR ends the game via run rule. Just sayin'.)
Schroder K's, swinging.
Warrick comes in to PH for Parr (bummer - was hoping Parr would get an AB) and flies out to LF, 2 down. Cooper up.
Cooper flies out to CF.

On to T7 - 3 outs away.
Due up for the Rattlers: 4-5-6 hitters.

psycHOGlogist

T7

Schroeder goes back in to RF, Warrick back to DP. Interesting moves. Last year, it seems like the staff never made this many lineup adjustments. Wonder if that's Meuchel's influence, or just having more options?

4 hitter grounds out to 3b.
5 hitter K's, Moll's 9th!
And Moll gets the game's last out on a grounder to 2b (was sort of hoping for double digit K's, but oh well).

Hogs open the FL weekend with a very solid 5-0 win over a fairly decent FAMU team. Host FAU up next late this afternoon.

psycHOGlogist

February 24, 2017, 02:23:44 pm #16 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:26:13 pm by psycHOGlogist
Other notes -
Canfield's 4-4 day puts her 1 hit shy of 200 for her career (per RazorbackSB twitter).

Moll didn't walk anyone after the first inning, when she walked the first 2 hitters she faced. She continues to have a little bit of 1st inning struggle, but this season it seems she is really getting the hang of settling down. She mowed them down after that, only giving up 3 hits all game.

Even at 1 for 3, Diaz improves her average. Hope not being clean-up hitter helps settle her in to her sophomore season.

FAU is the defending C-USA Champion and they have Kylee Hanson, who led the nation in ERA last year. Beyond her, they are a pretty average team, but with her in the circle they are very tough to beat.

We play FAMU again on Sunday, with games against Memphis (decent) and UConn (eh, although they lost to Kentucky today just 4-2) tomorrow.

Also - the 8-0 start is tied for all-time program best. So there's that.

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hawg1221

Yes, thanks for the updates. I go on here to read your posts about the games.