Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WBB at Vandy

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 23, 2017, 07:23:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Very sloppy game so far.

We were up 8-4 but are down 15-10 with 1 minute left 1Q.  We have missed a number of layups and chippies.

End of 1Q - 18-13 Vandy, as Cosper throws up a prayer of a 3 from the corner and it banks in somehow.

psycHOGlogist

Game continues to be really ugly. 27-22 Vandy with 3 mins left in half.

We cannot throw the ball in the ocean, though we did get 3 fouls on their only big girl. Doesn't seem to be bothering them much.

29-22 Vandy now.

psycHOGlogist

33-25 Vandy at the half. It's just awful to watch.

MikePiazza

That's what a team that has given up looks like.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

psycHOGlogist

I agree. There is effort out there, but it's not smart effort. We started out the 3Q well, with Swenson scoring 3 baskets and JJ getting another (her first), but we consistently don't track their 3 pt shooters in transition and they keep getting open looks from the arc. Fortunately they're not hitting them all, but we are behind 44-35 halfway through the third.

psycHOGlogist

We also apparently have NO ability to catch the basketball. It's actually pretty amazing.

psycHOGlogist

Also, the officials are garbage. That's not why we're losing, but this is pretty ridiculous.

47-35 Vandy.

psycHOGlogist

It's amusing to watch our big, slow white girls try to defend on the perimeter. Both Stout and Swenson are worthless out there (though both really try hard, I'll give them that).

51-42 at the end of 3Q. JJ took a knock on the last play. Hope she's okay.

psycHOGlogist

We got it down to five by banging inside to Cooley, but Vandy starts collapsing the zone on her as soon as she catches it. She continues to not have the ability to kick it out to shooters.

Vandy up by 7 now, with the ball after the tv timeout mid 4Q.

psycHOGlogist

I like Mason as a player, but her defense is not very good at all.

psycHOGlogist

Lead up to 11.

JJ hasn't played in the 4Q.

We get a 5 pt trip - Wilson hits a 3, they call a foul on Vandy away from the ball, and we get the ball back. Mason hits a J, and it's back down to 6, but Vandy will shoot FT's after a time out. ~5 to play. 

psycHOGlogist

JJ back in now, down 7, 59-52, JJ shooting FT's. 

psycHOGlogist

Down 5, Swenson bricks two FT's, and Monk fouls the Vandy dribbler on the next play. Vandy misses the first, makes the second. Down 6, 3 to play.

MikePiazza

Going to be awful to see how they lose this one.

psycHOGlogist

Wilson swishes a 3, it's a 3 pt game with 2:30 to play, Vandy to the line. Makes the first, misses the 2nd. 4 pts. Wilson drives and scores, down 2. Timeout Vandy. 2:08 to play.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 23, 2017, 08:59:35 pm
Going to be awful to see how they lose this one.

It does feel that way, doesn't it?

psycHOGlogist

We fail to close out on a 3 pt shooter, down 5. Swenson gets a stick back off a missed Wilson 3, down 3 with 1:29 to play

psycHOGlogist

Monk with the nice defense, deflects the dribble off the Vandy players knee.

Ensuing possession, we miss three layups, but Vandy player falls with the rebound and travels, Hogs' ball.

psycHOGlogist

TO Hogs, 35 s to play, Hogs with the ball out of bounds under the Vandy basket.

What monstrosity will the coaching staff call on this inbounds play?

psycHOGlogist

LOL - they leave Jackson COMPLETELY ALONE in the corner and she drains a 3, tie game. (Nice find by Wilson with the asist).

Vandy ball with 29 s to play - shot clock off.

BWS

You gotta admit, excellent play call on that Jackson 3 pointer.

psycHOGlogist

(That was actually the play that CJD drew up, fwiw.)

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: BWS on February 23, 2017, 09:07:13 pm
You gotta admit, excellent play call on that Jackson 3 pointer.

Credit where it's due.

psycHOGlogist

Vandy advances the ball off the TO, they throw up an air ball, catch it, and Swenson fouls the off-balance shooter.

She makes them both.

Hogs can't gain possession of the inbounds = Hogs lose 66-64.

psycHOGlogist

Kudos to JJ for hitting the clutch tying shot on a night when she was generally off. And it was a busted play that beat us. But it's still an(other) L.

MikePiazza

He can match Pelphrey year 2 with a loss on Sunday. 2-14 in Year 3 is unacceptable. Should be relieved of duties after loss at SECT.

Hogtied85

Everybody that wants Dykes gone. Listen and listen well, let it go. He is not going anywhere please accept it and move on. His last two seasons were better than the one we have currently. What's happening right now is suppose to happen so just get over it. It's too early to cut him right now. Jimmy Dykes would have to have a horrible season next year to even be considered for the hot seat. It's common sense you guys. I'm not saying Dykes should or shouldn't be relieved of duty, what I am saying is that critics need to be realistic.

hogman64

Quote from: Hogtired10 on February 24, 2017, 06:30:40 am
Everybody that wants Dykes gone. Listen and listen well, let it go. He is not going anywhere please accept it and move on. His last two seasons were better than the one we have currently. What's happening right now is suppose to happen so just get over it. It's too early to cut him right now. Jimmy Dykes would have to have a horrible season next year to even be considered for the hot seat. It's common sense you guys. I'm not saying Dykes should or shouldn't be relieved of duty, what I am saying is that critics need to be realistic.

there are some people who when they  prove to be the worst in their field over a three year period,  would move on voluntarily. It seems  most people say JD wanted the  coaching job because he grew tired of being on the road all the time with ESPN and wanted to be with his family more.  If that is true, that is a big red flag that he is in this job for the wrong reasons, his recruiting results could lend to assuming he does spend  time with his family when he should be  working at getting better players..  Unless a player or two falls in his lap unexpectedly, next year will be as bad or worse.  I get wanting to be with your family , just don't take $ 450,000 or whatever of University money while you do it.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 23, 2017, 08:45:09 pm
I like Mason as a player, but her defense is not very good at all.
I liked her early in non-conference.  She has been a big disappointment in conference.  As far as I am concerned, she caused us this game - the technical was stupid - cost us five points and the ball.  She also has way too many turnovers which she did not have initially.

FineAsSwine

Tough loss for the ladies. Hoping they can close with a couple of wins to build on for next year.

Hope Dykes can get this thing turned around. Schaefer, at MSST has done an impressive job and has that program on a steady, upward trajectory. Would like to see JD start to make similar inroads.
Hogs up! Covid down!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 24, 2017, 09:54:29 am
Tough loss for the ladies. Hoping they can close with a couple of wins to build on for next year.

Hope Dykes can get this thing turned around. Schaefer, at MSST has done an impressive job and has that program on a steady, upward trajectory. Would like to see JD start to make similar inroads.

Schaefer finished top 3 in the SEC in his second year and his upward trajectory has continued. Dykes's trajectory is in the opposite direction and shows absolutely no promise of reversing itself. And let me just say for the record, I don't think Hogtired is correct. Dykes is on the hot seat, and discussions have already taken place about his moving elsewhere. Whether it will happen this year or not, I don't know, but if you think his seat isn't hot, you don't know what you're talking about.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on February 24, 2017, 06:30:40 am
What's happening right now is suppose to happen

What are you even talking about?

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 24, 2017, 08:03:16 am
  I liked her early in non-conference.  She has been a big disappointment in conference.  As far as I am concerned, she caused us this game - the technical was stupid - cost us five points and the ball.  She also has way too many turnovers which she did not have initially.

I really can't disagree with this. I like that she can (most of the time) hit a mid-range jumper, which on this team separates her from the pack. But the turnovers are a big problem, as is her lack of quickness guarding the dribble-drive.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 24, 2017, 12:52:20 pm
What are you even talking about?

I really can't disagree with this. I like that she can (most of the time) hit a mid-range jumper, which on this team separates her from the pack. But the turnovers are a big problem, as is her lack of quickness guarding the dribble-drive.

Coach, Psych, SHE's A Freshman!.  Bad things happen when you are dependent on freshmen players in their first time through conference in the SEC.  I dont fault her as much as I do the coach for becoming so reliant on her.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

I think that's fair, too.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 24, 2017, 12:49:40 pm
Schaefer finished top 3 in the SEC in his second year and his upward trajectory has continued. Dykes's trajectory is in the opposite direction and shows absolutely no promise of reversing itself. And let me just say for the record, I don't think Hogtired is correct. Dykes is on the hot seat, and discussions have already taken place about his moving elsewhere. Whether it will happen this year or not, I don't know, but if you think his seat isn't hot, you don't know what you're talking about.

Just saying that, if Long doesn't pull the trigger, I hope JD turns this thing around quick. No where to go but up from here.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 24, 2017, 12:49:40 pm

While watch what happens. He will be back next year and the year after that. If I am wrong I will admitted to the whole world on this board. You say Dykes is on the hot seat and you know this how??? Please tell us. Don't worry we'll wait.

psycHOGlogist

I'm not going to play the "I have sources" game. I have information from people that I believe are very well informed about the program. Do I have first hand knowledge? No. However, if you think Long is going to sit by and watch the flagship women's sport circle the drain without doing anything, I think you are mistaken. And we are circling the drain.

Guess we'll have to sit back and see. Not saying for sure he'll be gone (though I think he will). But I believe he's been offered an exit path from the program.

I'm curious, what possible basis do you have for saying he'll be here for two more years? Next year has all the makings of an apocalyptically bad year. If he's not gone this year, he will definitely be gone after next. (In fact, the prospect of next year's being so bad may just be what tips him into stepping away this year -- though it's always a tough call with an ego the size of his.)

Bonehead

There is no way that he will survive another year,3 players are leaving at the end of the year, just watch

Hogtied85

Quote from: Bonehead on February 24, 2017, 10:49:17 pm
There is no way that he will survive another year,3 players are leaving at the end of the year, just watch

Right Jessica Jackson and Alecia Cooley and who else????

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 24, 2017, 10:48:29 pm
I'm not going to play the "I have sources" game. I have information from people that I believe are very well informed about the program. Do I have first hand knowledge? No. However, if you think Long is going to sit by and watch the flagship women's sport circle the drain without doing anything, I think you are mistaken. And we are circling the drain.

Guess we'll have to sit back and see. Not saying for sure he'll be gone (though I think he will). But I believe he's been offered an exit path from the program.

I'm curious, what possible basis do you have for saying he'll be here for two more years? Next year has all the makings of an apocalyptically bad year. If he's not gone this year, he will definitely be gone after next. (In fact, the prospect of next year's being so bad may just be what tips him into stepping away this year -- though it's always a tough call with an ego the size of his.)

Let me apologize to you because I don't want to come off as being salty. You have done nothing to me so I apologize. Please don't take what I said the wrong way

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on February 24, 2017, 10:53:14 pm
Right Jessica Jackson and Alecia Cooley and who else????

Aaliyah Wilson, Yasmeen Ratliff, and possibly/probably Devin Cosper.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on February 24, 2017, 10:54:41 pm
Let me apologize to you because I don't want to come off as being salty. You have done nothing to me so I apologize. Please don't take what I said the wrong way

I wasn't offended. Just surprised. :-)