Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB at Mary Nutter - Day 1 CSUN

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 17, 2017, 05:32:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Hogs with the immediate turnaround for Game 2 of the day - Cal State-Northridge.
Same lineup, Moll pitching.

Canfield starts off with a walk.
Hiers also walks.
Schroeder walks.
(just checked, and the 2016 version of Grace Moll is NOT in fact pitching for CSUN)
(Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

Bases juiced, no outs for Diaz.

CSU has not played yet today, btw, and they are starting their ace pitcher against us.

Ugh. Diaz grounds one to 3b, who goes home for the force on Canfield, and then to 1b to double up Diaz. 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Double ugh - Warrick pops up to the pitcher. From bases loaded no outs to no runs, 3 outs, just like that.

Moll to the circle.

psycHOGlogist

First two CSUN batters single up the middle.
Next batter grounds to Russell, who gets the unassisted force/fielder's choice at 3rd, 1 down.
Moll walks the clean-up hitter. Bases loaded, one out.
Next batter pops out to SS.
Moll gets the third out on a K, swinging.

Pretty adventurous 1st inning, but still scoreless. Belans, Bugarin, and Yannetti due up.

psycHOGlogist

Belans flies out to CF.
Bugarin doubles to LF, 1 out for Yannetti.
Yannetti is ruled to have reached on FC. She hit the ball to 2b, who tried to get Bugarin at 3rd, but threw it away. Bugarin scores, Yannetti advances all the way to 3rd on the throw home. 1-0 Hogs.
Russell is ruled to reach base on FC, also ... but it's not clear what happened. Must have been a throw home to try to stop Yannetti from scoring, but she still appears to be on 3b. One out, runners on the corners for Canfield.
Canfield flies out to RF, who guns down Yannetti trying to score from 3rd, double play. Still 1-0 Hogs.

psycHOGlogist

B2

Moll gets the leadoff hitter to pop to SS.
Next batter lines out to RF.
And the 9 hitter strikes out swinging.

Hiers, Schroeder, & Diaz due up.

psycHOGlogist

T3

Hiers grounds out.
Stop the presses - Schroeder makes an out! Grounder to SS.
Diaz lines out to 2b

3 up, 3 down for the Hogs. Moll back to the circle.

psycHOGlogist

B3

Moll walks the leadoff hitter.
The 2-hole hitter takes Moll out to deep center, 2-1 CSU-Northridge.
Next batter singles to center. Moll doesn't seem to have her best stuff today, maybe.
Runners steals 2b, then advances to 3rd when Hiers throws the ball into CF. Ugh.

Moll gets the next batter to ground to 2b, runner holds at 3rd. 1 out, runner on third.
Next batter bunts, ruled an FC. Runners on the corners, 1 out.
Runner at 1st advances to 2nd on WP, runner at 3rd does not come home.

Moll gets the ground out to 2b, but the runners advance. 3-1 CSUN, runner on 3rd.

Next batter grounds out to 3b, but the damage is done. 3-1 for the bad guys. Warrick, Belans, and Bugarin to start the rally.

psycHOGlogist

T4

Warrick singles up the middle. Beringhele in to run for her.
Belans pops out to 2b.
Bugarin walked. 1 out, runners on 1 & 2 for Yannetti.
Yannetti grounds to 2b, who can't make the play, ball moves into RF. Yannetti out at 2b trying to stretch it, Bugarin to 3rd, Beringhele scores. 3-2 CSU-N

Russell grounds out to 2b, ending the inning.

psycHOGlogist

B4

First hitter singles up the middle.
Next batter singles to RF, 1st and 2nd no outs. Top of the lineup now up, and neither the 1 or 2 hitter has been retired today.
Moll throws another WP, runners advance, 2nd/3rd, no outs. Not Grace's day so far.
Moll walks batter. Bases loaded, no outs.
Moll gets the HR hitter to K, swinging. 1 out, bases full.
And another K, this time looking.
The 3rd out comes on a liner to RF!!!

Still 3-2 CSU-N.

From bases loaded no outs to 3 outs - turnabout is fair play! Great job by Moll pitching out of trouble there. Let's hope it inspires the offense!

Due up - top of the order: Canfield, Hiers, Schroeder.

psycHOGlogist

Canfield bunts, out at first.
Hiers ties it up, 3-3, with a HR to RF, an opposite field shot. Way to go, Shelby!!
Schroeder grounds out to 3b.
Diaz flies out.

On to B5, but it's a tie game with the 5-6-7 hitters due up for CSU-N.

psycHOGlogist

February 17, 2017, 06:45:04 pm #9 Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:38:05 pm by psycHOGlogist
Moll gives up another leadoff single.
CSU-N pulls off the sac bunt, runner to 2nd, 1 out.
Moll gets second out on grounder to SS, runner stays at 2nd.
The 8 hitter works a BB, runners at 1st, 2nd, 2 outs.
The 9 hitter singles, scoring runner from 2nd.
Moll gets the leadoff hitter to ground out to 1b.

4-3 CSU-N.

Warrick, Belans, and Bugarin due up. Go  :razorback:!

psycHOGlogist

T6

Warrick gets plunked. Parr in to run for her. That's a second sub for Warrick, so she's done for the game.
Pitching change for CSU-N.
Belans can't execute SB, they get Parr at 2b. Belans at first, but Pocklington runs for her. 1 out, runner on 1st for Bugarin.
Bugarin K's, swinging.
Cooper in to PH for Yannetti.
Cooper lines out to 2b. Nothing doing for the Hogs - disappointing that we didn't execute a sac bunt.

the 2-3-4 hitters due up for CSUN, B6.

psycHOGlogist

February 17, 2017, 07:02:35 pm #11 Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:15:07 pm by psycHOGlogist
B6

Guess what? The first batter singles.
Then steals 2b.
Next batter grounds out to P, runner stays at 2nd. 1 down.
The clean up hitter hits HR to CF - 6-3 CSU-N. Definitely not Moll's day.
Next batter 2b's, still 1 out.
Moll gets the hook - Storms in to pitch. Runner on 2b, 1 out.

Wheels officially coming off. Storms gets the grounder to 2b, Yannetti misplays it, runner scores from 2nd. 7-3 CSUN. Hitter advances to 2b.
Storms K's the next batter.
And Storms gets the next hitter, also on a K.

On to the T7 - last chance for the Hogs. Time to break out the rally caps!
Russell, Canfield, and Hiers due up.

psycHOGlogist

February 17, 2017, 07:21:28 pm #12 Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:13:58 pm by psycHOGlogist
T7

Russell legs out a bunt to 1b.
Canfield singles (yes!), Russell to 2b.
Hiers gets plunked - and we're back to the first inning - bases loaded, no outs. Can the Hogs do better this time around?

Not yet. Schroeder fouls out to 3b, 1 down.
Diaz hits grounder to 3b, who throws it away, Hogs score 2. Runners at 1st (Diaz) and 3rd (Hiers) - for Benz, who is hitting in Warrick's spot. Parr (?) in to run for Diaz (actually, it wasn't Parr. It was Fr Aly Manzo. Knew it couldn't be Parr because she'd already been in, but that's what the livestats said). She's now on 2nd.
Benz goes down swinging. 2 outs, Hogs down 7-5 with runners on 2nd/3rd for Belans, who is 0-2 today.

OMG - Belans with the 3-run HR, Hogs up 8-7!!!!! WOW!!!!

Bugarin grounds out to SS to end the inning.

Storms back to the circle to face 9-1-2 to try to get the W. Tough part of the lineup today for CSU-N.

psycHOGlogist

B7

Storms gets the 9 hitter to pop out to 2b.
Leadoff hitter tries to bunt to 1b, but we get her. 2 down. The 2-hole hitter has been a monster today - 3/4 with a HR. C'mon Storms!

And there it is - ground out to 2b. HOGS WIN!!!!

Huge, improbable comeback to take the game 8-7. Talk about Never Yield-ing!!!!

This team won't win them all this year (and probably won't win them all this weekend), but this is a GREAT come-from-behind win! And Autumn Storms is on her way to being my favorite player! :-)

WPS!!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

psycHOGlogist

Back in action tomorrow against Illinois and San Diego (weather permitting). They're expecting some rain out in the desert. LA has been having very heavy rain all day today.

flippinhogmana

ok Pscych! That settles it, you are the softball hogs good luck charm!  you have to do the pbp the rest of the season!  good job!  Nothing quite like a comeback win in the last AB, particular the major part of it with two outs for building confidence and instilling something in this team!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

storms with two wins on the day gives her four for the year already!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Yes, it clearly wasn't Moll's day today. On the upside, she didn't walk a lot of players, but she definitely had some control problems, and she didn't have her best stuff. I love Hiers at the plate, but I can't wait for us to have a C in the program who is a good backstop/thrower.