Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Dykes...why?

Started by LZH, February 21, 2017, 05:59:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

I am in a Ft. Lauderdale hotel watching ESPN2 this morning and women's bball scrolls across the bottom, and so I wonder - why is JD the coach of the LadyBacks?

I mean, if you have a great gig with ESPN, and are really good at it and are appreciated by pretty much everyone, why would you even take the coaching job?

biglewhog77

I guess he wanted a challenge in his life..... Women basketball is a hardest job in basketball the star rating really matters in Women's basketball

LZH

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 21, 2017, 06:08:26 am
I guess he wanted a challenge in his life..... Women basketball is a hardest job in basketball the star rating really matters in Women's basketball

Maybe ESPN told him he could have his job back if things didn't work out...I hope so. I just can't imagine leaving a job like that for a job that you will likely get fired from. And it can't be because of family and travel, because a coach is on the road quite a bit too.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hubris and the old "To spend more time with the family".  Most people get out of college athletics to spend more time with the family.  I think "Why he got in it" is a moot point now.  Better question is how to get him out.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

I think the shortest answers to the "why" question are a) that Jeff was not super excited about the finalists he had, and he fell for the enthusiasm/"how hard can it be?" argument/snow job that Jimmy threw at him, and b) Jimmy was really tired of the travel all over the country that being a broadcaster required. He thought -- and he may have been right -- that a coach (even one who had to recruit) traveled less and more predictably than a broadcaster. Add to that the "splash" factor (that others have accurately called "winning the press conference"), and I think you have your answer.

A really, truly awful decision by Long, and one he needs to start trying to make up for immediately, imo.

ricepig