Go Ahead and Post the Opening

Started by Porked Tongue, January 28, 2017, 05:45:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonehead

Instead of getting on here bashing dykes why don't you call Jeff Long

hogman64

Quote from: Bonehead on February 03, 2017, 03:09:52 pm
Instead of getting on here bashing dykes why don't you call Jeff Long

wouldn't that sort of be like blaming  your maniacal posts on your dad?

psycHOGlogist

Cooley played five minutes last night. Stout played six.

Today, Cooley tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/OrjustCooley/status/827566444573577216

This is interesting. Always hard to know what tweets are about, of course.

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

if things remain the same dont look for Ratliff or Wilson and Cosper to be here next year either.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogman64

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 03, 2017, 07:56:55 pm
if things remain the same dont look for Ratliff or Wilson and Cosper to be here next year either.

so which number will be the lowest?

players leaving?
players kneeling?
conference wins?

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: hogman64 on February 03, 2017, 11:43:02 pm

players leaving?
players kneeling?
conference wins?
Easy answer: conference wins  :'(

Jack The BN

You guys underestimate Jimmy, just like you underestimated Pelphrey. He will prove you all wrong in a few years when he brings home a national championship to Arkansas.

And on that day, I will remember Hogville, and laugh.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

Porked Tongue

Our girls team is so bad the sarcasm about them even sucks.

HognitiveDissonance

First, I think three years is not enough time. I would prefer to see a guy get more than that before calling it a 'bust'.

I'm not a fan of Jeff Long when it comes to the most important part of his job: hiring and firing coaches. He just hasn't shown me much there so far. The administrative part of the job, I think he's great at.

But I applaud Long for 'thinking outside the box' with the Dykes hire. I would rather see a 'home run or strikeout' hire rather than playing it conservative the way he did with Anderson and Bielema. Both of those were good, safe, hires but (to me) not much home run potential. I could not see either of those guys winning big here. They're both good, but neither are great. I would rather take a flyer on someone who has a chance to be 'great'. Dykes struck me as that type: this is either going to be a huge failure or a great success. I don't care about the in-between.

Of course, the trick is to not only identify possible 'home runs', but also to get it right. Frank had a real knack for that. Eddie, Nolan, and McDonnell were not household names when he hired them, and they became legends. This is the insight and eye for talent that Long hasn't showed me yet.

jabberjawls

Quote from: hogman64 on February 03, 2017, 11:43:02 pm

players leaving?
players kneeling?
conference wins?
Hopefully answers 1 and 2 will be equal.

psycHOGlogist

How much time would you give someone who is chasing his own recruits out of the program? And his own assistants? And whose attendance numbers are decreasing? And who can't muster anyone to care enough to attend the program's luncheons/marketing events? 

I'm sympathetic to the general idea of giving people time, but there has to be a basis for optimism. Instead here you have a "flyer" with no coaching experience in the past two decades who is in serious danger of not having enough athletes to field a competitive team next year. Every single aspect of the program is regressing: W-L, recruitment, attendance, player turnover, coaching turnover ... it's a dumpster fire.

If you are going to give someone a shot as a high-risk/high-reward candidate, you have to have a quicker hook to get rid of them when the experiment fails. Otherwise, you damage not only the program but the institution, as well.

Long gave him his chance. Dykes needs to go.

hogman64

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 06, 2017, 02:26:08 pm
First, I think three years is not enough time. I would prefer to see a guy get more than that before calling it a 'bust'.

I'm not a fan of Jeff Long when it comes to the most important part of his job: hiring and firing coaches. He just hasn't shown me much there so far. The administrative part of the job, I think he's great at.

But I applaud Long for ‘thinking outside the box’ with the Dykes hire. I would rather see a ‘home run or strikeout’ hire rather than playing it conservative the way he did with Anderson and Bielema. Both of those were good, safe, hires but (to me) not much home run potential. I could not see either of those guys winning big here. They’re both good, but neither are great. I would rather take a flyer on someone who has a chance to be ‘great’. Dykes struck me as that type: this is either going to be a huge failure or a great success. I don’t care about the in-between.

Of course, the trick is to not only identify possible 'home runs', but also to get it right. Frank had a real knack for that. Eddie, Nolan, and McDonnell were not household names when he hired them, and they became legends. This is the insight and eye for talent that Long hasn't showed me yet.

I don't see how in heck you could think Jimmy Dykes had a better chance to be a home run than Anderson or BB...
Jimmy Dykes was a huge long shot to be a home run and when long shots start to go bad you cut immediately....A guy who has been to three Rose Bowls as a head coach and a guy who has had some   success at two Division I programs as a head coach  you can give some time , but JD should get no more time, things couldn't be much more dysfunctional than they are in that program.....he looks totally over his head these days even when being interviewed , deer in the headlights type look, getting to the point of being embarrassing to have him in the position.....

Mr. Porkleone

Agree. JD's end soon. Program in shambles. I see no chance in landing nations #1 recruit Christyn Willams unless better coach. She may be a lock for UCONN where championships are the norm. I'd rehire Gary Blair. But that ships passed

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogman64 on February 06, 2017, 05:54:01 pm
I don't see how in heck you could think Jimmy Dykes had a better chance to be a home run than Anderson or BB...
Jimmy Dykes was a huge long shot to be a home run and when long shots start to go bad you cut immediately....A guy who has been to three Rose Bowls as a head coach and a guy who has had some   success at two Division I programs as a head coach  you can give some time , but JD should get no more time, things couldn't be much more dysfunctional than they are in that program.....he looks totally over his head these days even when being interviewed , deer in the headlights type look, getting to the point of being embarrassing to have him in the position.....
Because Bielema and Anderson have long track records, so you know with much certainty what you're going to get.
With Dykes, there is no track record, although some reason to hope for home run. Namely, a glib, TV personality that might play well on the recruiting trail. I don't fault Long for giving him a chance.
Back to Bielema, it doesn't matter much how many Rose Bowls he went to; that wasn't at Arkansas. But clearly, it shows a coach doing a 'good' job. He's a good coach. I just didn't see 'greatness' there. And predicted when hired Ark would be taking a step back from Petrino levels, whom I believe is a Top 10 coach.
Same thing for Anderson; good record, good resume, just nothing great about it.
And we're seeing exactly those results from those guys: good, not great.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 06, 2017, 08:22:50 pm
Because Bielema and Anderson have long track records, so you know with much certainty what you're going to get.
With Dykes, there is no track record, although some reason to hope for home run. Namely, a glib, TV personality that might play well on the recruiting trail. I don't fault Long for giving him a chance.
Back to Bielema, it doesn't matter much how many Rose Bowls he went to; that wasn't at Arkansas. But clearly, it shows a coach doing a 'good' job. He's a good coach. I just didn't see 'greatness' there. And predicted when hired Ark would be taking a step back from Petrino levels, whom I believe is a Top 10 coach.
Same thing for Anderson; good record, good resume, just nothing great about it.
And we're seeing exactly those results from those guys: good, not great.

Of course everyone wants great coaches, but those are hard to find.  In absence of great I'll take good until great comes along.  Good is still better than average.  In my mind average is better than mediocre and mediocre is better than bad.

Right now I think the debate on JD would be is he mediocre or bad?  The team he took to the NCAA's wasn't his and even then I'm not sure you could call it a good season.  They finished just 4 games above .500 and went 6-10 in league play and finished 9th in the conference.  Helped a great deal by the conferences reputation/RPI.

With BB and MA there is at least hope because they have accomplished things at other schools and have shown some consistency here.  MA improved each year until last year and while not great this year is considerably better than last.  Same with BB showed improvement until this year, not great this year but still signs.

JD is showing none of that, getting worse each year no light at the end of the tunnel nothing at all in his resume to show that this in an anomaly or better things are ahead.  Ok Jeff you tried something different, it didn't work, time to move on. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porked Tongue

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 11, 2017, 07:53:40 pm
Wheels turning.

Good to hear. After the UGA and UF losses, we are looking at a sub - .500 season, and there is no excuse for that.

Scott7703

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 11, 2017, 07:53:40 pm
Wheels turning.

Who we gonna get? Just hope the new coach can hang onto the players we have currently and maybe even salvage one whose been out and plans to leave.

Porked Tongue

Mississippi State   11-1   25-1
South Carolina   11-1   21-2
Texas A&M   9-3   19-6
Kentucky   8-4   17-8
Missouri   7-5   17-9
Tennessee   7-5   16-9
LSU   6-5   17-7
Auburn   5-7   15-11
Georgia   5-7   13-12
Ole Miss   4-8   15-10
Florida   4-8   13-12
Alabama   3-9   15-10
Arkansas   2-10   13-12
Vanderbilt   1-10   11-13

Porked Tongue

I'm now having a little bit of concern that JD might get another year.  I believe if he does get that year, it's only because they can't figure out a saving face exit plan.

Ideas of moving him into the Foundation are not gaining much traction because he's not liked very much.  Obviously, when it comes to being a part of such a fundraising organization requires a bit more than couth.

Of immediate concern is the ability to actually have a roster next year.

beringer62

He needs to be gone! We need an up and comer from a winning program that could stoke some enthusiasm and energy into this abyss!

Porked Tongue

They do have targets.  ;)

But JD needs to fall into a different job.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 12, 2017, 07:21:12 pm

Sounds like a fireable offense.   ::)

psycHOGlogist

I'm now having a little bit of concern that JD might get another year.  I believe if he does get that year, it's only because they can't figure out a saving face exit plan....

They have to realize that this is a completely untenable situation for a P5 basketball program. They're going to have to make a move.

Right?

ricepig

I'm now having a little bit of concern that JD might get another year.  I believe if he does get that year, it's only because they can't figure out a saving face exit plan.

Ideas of moving him into the Foundation are not gaining much traction because he's not liked very much.  Obviously, when it comes to being a part of such a fundraising organization requires a bit more than couth.

He's only got one year left on his original contract, correct? If so, find him a job somewhere and start over.

Never mind, I saw where he signed an extension until 2020 after his first season.

Porked Tongue

They can get out of the extension.

This "one more year" thinking by Long would drive the program into such an abyss the next guy will be doomed.  It's going to be hard enough to turn around without another year of attrition and suckage.

bhager357

The team as a whole played better and showed more intensity than the past few games. We played a good Mizzou team on the road, who shot lights out behind the 3 or line. Many of those shots were contested. Others were gained by an excellent execution of their motion offense.
This has been a disappointing year, but Fire the coach, Fire the AD is more often than not a knee jerk reaction. Let's see how they play the next couple of weeks and let Long and JD meet and do what's best for the program. JD like Mike and BB love the Hogs and would never want to do anything. To injure the program. Just one fans opinion who owns season tickets and travels over 200 miles to see the games and looks forward to cheering them on in Greenville  as they reach the quarter finals.

hogman64

Quote from: bhager357 on February 12, 2017, 11:43:04 pm
The team as a whole played better and showed more intensity than the past few games. We played a good Mizzou team on the road, who shot lights out behind the 3 or line. Many of those shots were contested. Others were gained by an excellent execution of their motion offense.
This has been a disappointing year, but Fire the coach, Fire the AD is more often than not a knee jerk reaction. Let's see how they play the next couple of weeks and let Long and JD meet and do what's best for the program. JD like Mike and BB love the Hogs and would never want to do anything. To injure the program. Just one fans opinion who owns season tickets and travels over 200 miles to see the games and looks forward to cheering them on in Greenville  as they reach the quarter finals.

From all  indications.  JD  cannot stop his players from making bad decisions, cannot  bring out a level of consistent effort on the court from them , isn't a good game coach and cant recruit well. Not only that but he recruits an alarming % of  players who figure out they don't want to stay, once they get on campus.............. What else is there to determine about his ability to lead the program?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogman64 on February 13, 2017, 07:23:27 am
From all  indications.  JD  cannot stop his players from making bad decisions, cannot  bring out a level of consistent effort on the court from them , isn't a good game coach and cant recruit well. Not only that but he recruits an alarming % of  players who figure out they don't want to stay, once they get on campus.............. What else is there to determine about his ability to lead the program?

A seeming inability to install an offense in three years?

jabberjawls

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 13, 2017, 10:58:22 am
A seeming inability to install an offense in three years?
CMA hasn't installed one in 6 years. 

Kevin

I don't care about saving face. send him back to Bristol Connecticut.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

John Snow

Remember when he convinced Jeff Long to hire him because he was this positive upbeat guy who was going to excite the fan base and recruiting from his great marketing  persona from being on espn. Lately he is worse than Pelphry in talking to the media acting like he doesn't have tell people if a player is still on the team or not   and also acting distant and awkward at luncheons like the one in Little Rock last week or other public appearances he looks pissed off at everyone like as if we are wasting his time.

Porked Tongue

Not to mention they paper barely even covers the games.  If it's a road game, the UA releases the game article

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Jack The BN on February 05, 2017, 03:27:14 pm
You guys underestimate Jimmy, just like you underestimated Pelphrey. He will prove you all wrong in a few years when he brings home a national championship to Arkansas.

And on that day, I will remember Hogville, and laugh.

On this day I remember you as a delusional homer. Worst post ever on on this board

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 14, 2017, 10:07:24 pm

On this day I remember you as a delusional homer. Worst post ever on on this board

Pretty sure you are missing his (attempt at) humor. But I've been wrong before ....

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: John Snow on February 14, 2017, 01:51:12 pm
Remember when he convinced Jeff Long to hire him because he was this positive upbeat guy who was going to excite the fan base and recruiting from his great marketing  persona from being on espn. Lately he is worse than Pelphry in talking to the media acting like he doesn't have tell people if a player is still on the team or not   and also acting distant and awkward at luncheons like the one in Little Rock last week or other public appearances he looks pissed off at everyone like as if we are wasting his time.
He  has been like that from day one as far as I am concerned.  He has never shown any interest in the average fan in person.

hogman64

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 15, 2017, 08:09:01 am
He  has been like that from day one as far as I am concerned.  He has never shown any interest in the average fan in person.

just watching his interviews on tv  and seeing his  comments online or in the paper, to me he is not at all likeable and really hard to pull for........his personality comes across as arrogant , but more importantly  he  never says anything that makes me think he is good at his job and doesn't appear to have a clue as to how to change the direction of the program.  Deer in the headlights comes to mind when I see him speak..

Hard to explain but it is sort of like his attitude is....." I am Jimmy Dykes and sure the results so far are horrible but isn't it obvious
I know everything about coaching women's college basketball and shouldn't be questioned."  there seems to be a big disconnect
between reality and Jimmy Dykes perception ....

Jim Harris

Quote from: John Snow on February 14, 2017, 01:51:12 pm

The way I remember it, Jeff Long approached Jimmy at the SEC Men's Tournament and convinced him to take over the women's team. Jeff had some other inquiries about the job from people with women's basketball coaching credentials, but none wowed him.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Porked Tongue

It wasn't a cold call by Long.  JD had previously inquired.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogman64 on February 15, 2017, 10:20:23 am
just watching his interviews on tv  and seeing his  comments online or in the paper, to me he is not at all likeable and really hard to pull for........his personality comes across as arrogant , but more importantly  he  never says anything that makes me think he is good at his job and doesn't appear to have a clue as to how to change the direction of the program.  Deer in the headlights comes to mind when I see him speak..

Hard to explain but it is sort of like his attitude is....." I am Jimmy Dykes and sure the results so far are horrible but isn't it obvious
I know everything about coaching women's college basketball and shouldn't be questioned."  there seems to be a big disconnect
between reality and Jimmy Dykes perception ....

Maybe the age gap between him and his wife convinced him that he could effectively communicate with and control young adult women.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2017, 06:12:36 pm
Maybe the age gap between him and his wife convinced him that he could effectively communicate with and control young adult women.

Cold shot there man.
Hogs up! Covid down!