Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Didn't score 101 today

Started by MoHog74, January 01, 2017, 06:44:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHog74

Off to a rough start today on the road at Ole Miss.  Evidently, our non-conference schedule didn't have us quite prepared for SEC action.

psycHOGlogist

Not sure it's a completely fair test of what we can do while Monk is still out, but yeah. Ole Miss is not likely to be a strong team in conference.

hogman64

Quote from: MoHog74 on January 01, 2017, 06:44:29 pm
Off to a rough start today on the road at Ole Miss.  Evidently, our non-conference schedule didn't have us quite prepared for SEC action.

yada yada,, same thing every year, womens basketball at the U of A equals the movie ground hog day.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 01, 2017, 08:50:38 pm
Not sure it's a completely fair test of what we can do while Monk is still out, but yeah. Ole Miss is not likely to be a strong team in conference.
It is not only Monk, we need Freeman back also.  Neither Zimmerman nor Wilson is helping.  Hopefully, Wilson will develop, but I think this year is not going to be a good year for her.

hog63

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 02, 2017, 06:52:16 am
It is not only Monk, we need Freeman back also.  Neither Zimmerman nor Wilson is helping.  Hopefully, Wilson will develop, but I think this year is not going to be a good year for her.

Don't look for Freeman to be back

Hogtied85

Quote from: MoHog74 on January 01, 2017, 06:44:29 pm

Can't really use that as an excuse. We had a tough non-conference schedule last year. We struggled conference play last year. That is just the nature of the beast when it comes to SEC.

Scott7703

Quote from: hog63 on January 02, 2017, 08:53:50 am
Don't look for Freeman to be back

When do you expect her to return?

flippinhogmana

read his post again...dude...he didnt say dont expect her back SOON.  Apparently you read a word in there.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogman64

By all appearances right now this is going to be a  really bad year , like 4 or less SEC wins, throw that in with the Kneeling incident and if you care about women's bball results it will be the typical hog fan experience.  Painful.  I am just hoping Hog baseball is back to normal this year , because other than track that is really the only sport at the U of A where you can feel  we are even remotely  nationally relevant....

LA Football fan

They played competitively but bad shooting killed them in the second half.  They can win some games if they are shooting well but like others have said, it will not be a good year overall.   Need a couple more difference makers on the team.  Hopefully some of the new recruits will pay off.   We need more quickness at the guard spot also.  Ole Miss guards just blew past us with ease yesterday.

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 02, 2017, 11:29:27 am
read his post again...dude...he didnt say dont expect her back SOON.  Apparently you read a word in there.

I read it perfectly fine and want an explanation for the way it was said

Jack The BN

Time for Dykes to give back his big red Tahoe
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

hogman64

Quote from: Jack The BN on January 02, 2017, 07:42:06 pm
Time for Dykes to give back his big red Tahoe

either that or recruit some players who can win  in the SEC, just like the football coach and the mens basketball coach need to do the same.... the baseball coach is recruiting guys who can compete with national relevance  so for some reason he seems to be able to recruit to Fayetteville..

psycHOGlogist

Men's basketball recruiting is actually outstanding this year (and next). So you might need to find another axe to grind about CMA. 

Dykes, however, has not done very well, especially lately. His first class with Monk and Danberry, Cosper, and Cooley was good. That's what he needs to do every year. (Of course, Danberry is now gone.) Wilson was definitely a blue chip get last year, and Mason seems to be under-rated, but so far it hurts that Wilson has not played up to her billing (still time for that, of course). The other players are not SEC players, imo. This year's recruiting class consists of two players that few people wanted. Weaver is unknown by national services (though she was committed to Wisconsin before their coaching change -- still, Wisconsin is awful), and Spangler maybe had a couple other offers and is a gritty, blue collar kid from our own back yard. Not a class that screams "SEC success."

Next year we have Mya Bhinhar already committed, and she is a top 100 kid on ProspectsNation (#81). Not aware of any other commits. We have offered Yo'Myris Morris. We are obviously still trying to get Christyn Williams to stay home. Of course, we are competing against the "big boys" of WBB for her services. The good programs in the SEC -- and even some of the mediocre programs -- recruit multiple top 100 players every year. Like Collen, Dykes does not seem to be able to recruit SEC caliber post players.

I mean - next year: no Jackson, no Cooley. The only players over 6'1" on the roster will be Ratliff (who everyone thinks is a project) and Weaver (the former Wisconsin commit).  That's just not a reasonable SEC roster. Maybe he can land another Cooley-like JC player. If not ....

Long took his shot with Dykes, but I don't know if it's working. Let's see how long he lets it continue (though it's still early). Of course, if we get Williams, Morris, and a post or two, that could change everything. I know we are on some great young (2019, 2020) instate kids, but that's a long way off at this point.

LadybackBBFan

hog63

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 02, 2017, 04:43:57 pm

I read it perfectly fine and want an explanation for the way it was said

All I can say is "just wait it out". I do however stand by my first statement, I DO NOT expect her back!!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hog63 on January 03, 2017, 08:48:03 am
All I can say is "just wait it out". I do however stand by my first statement, I DO NOT expect her back!!

I concur...I could say more but I wont until more shakes out.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.