Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Danberry leaves the team

Started by ricepig, November 29, 2016, 11:29:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BlancheDevereaux

Interesting. So do we think this is a basketball decision or a team/coach chemistry (perhaps in regards to the kneeling) decision? This is certainly an unusual move this early into a season but hopefully we'll learn more this week.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: BlancheDevereaux on November 29, 2016, 02:01:01 pm
Interesting. So do we think this is a basketball decision or a team/coach chemistry (perhaps in regards to the kneeling) decision? This is certainly an unusual move this early into a season but hopefully we'll learn more this week.
I have no inside information but my guess her decision is strictly bb related.

jackflash

wish her well where ever she goes

psycHOGlogist

Although I hate to see a player of her athleticism and potential leave the program, I am not surprised. She has not seemed happy at all during her time on the Hill. I can't imagine that her apparent attitude was good for team chemistry. Wish her well wherever she ends up.

Also, with Smith's departure, we are once again really thin in the post. Not that I think she was going to be a major contributor in terms of production, but if she could have provided some minutes it would have helped Cooley and the others get some rest.

Scott7703

From what I've been told it has to do with playing time.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 29, 2016, 05:19:03 pm
From what I've been told it has to do with playing time.
Her playing time was down this year from last year with Cosner and Wilson not playing.  Against Navy with both Cosner and Wilson playing, JD got 5 minutes of playing time.  With Monk and Mason having established themselves as starters, playing time was going to be difficult - especially since she did not show any progress from last year.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 29, 2016, 05:24:54 pm
  Her playing time was down this year from last year with Cosner and Wilson not playing.  Against Navy with both Cosner and Wilson playing, JD got 5 minutes of playing time.  With Monk and Mason having established themselves as starters, playing time was going to be difficult - especially since she did not show any progress from last year.

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 29, 2016, 05:09:16 pm
Although I hate to see a player of her athleticism and potential leave the program, I am not surprised. She has not seemed happy at all during her time on the Hill. I can't imagine that her apparent attitude was good for team chemistry. Wish her well wherever she ends up.

Also, with Smith's departure, we are once again really thin in the post. Not that I think she was going to be a major contributor in terms of production, but if she could have provided some minutes it would have helped Cooley and the others get some rest.

There is such a thing as addition by subtraction.  The facts are that neither the playing style that JD uses (the other JD likes) made the player JD comfortable, and she never adapted.  Whether that was the reason or not, she never had a good relationship with Dykes (the only JD now).  She almost transferred after her freshman season and to be honest, I am not sure why she didnt.  It would have been better for her and the team chemistry wise if she had. 

As for as Smith, it has been known for a while she wasn't apt to play this year for medical reasons and hasn't played meaning minutes since she got here.  I hate losing players but if they aren't happy and in fact are a detriment, you are better off without them, especially since Monk is way out playing Danberry.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Another scholarship to fill for next year, as well. I seriously hope we are on some JUCO bigs. Losing every single one of our active players over 6'2" (not counting Ratliff, who I think we all assume is RS) and replacing them with Weaver and a short guard (and obvs Ratliff) will still leave us short (pardon the expression) on height next season, and especially height with any experience.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 29, 2016, 06:42:47 pm
Another scholarship to fill for next year, as well. I seriously hope we are on some JUCO bigs. Losing every single one of our active players over 6'2" (not counting Ratliff, who I think we all assume is RS) and replacing them with Weaver and a short guard (and obvs Ratliff) will still leave us short (pardon the expression) on height next season, and especially height with any experience.

I agree. Either a transfer big or one from JUCO.

flippinhogmana

Psych, I tried twice to send you a pm, but my board doesnt show it sent..
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

yraciv

How did I miss she landed at MS State of all places? Seriously? Isn't it common practice to block transfers to schools in your conference? Guess Jimmy didn't get the memo or really didn't care to think Danberry could beat him. Think that will bite him if he is still around next Spring.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2017/01/17/msu-adds-arkansas-transfer-guard-jordan-danberry/96684270/

psycHOGlogist

They knew when she left that that's where she wanted to go. Another kid from Arkansas now on the roster (Roshunda Johnson), and Vic and Johnnie recruited her hard before she committed to Arkansas.

Jimmy was either too arrogant to deny her a release to a conference school, or he was afraid it would hurt him with other instate recruits, or maybe he got guilted into somehow.

Will be interesting to see how she does with some good coaching in Starkville.

hog63

Quote from: yraciv on February 27, 2017, 11:42:23 pm
How did I miss she landed at MS State of all places? Seriously? Isn't it common practice to block transfers to schools in your conference? Guess Jimmy didn't get the memo or really didn't care to think Danberry could beat him. Think that will bite him if he is still around next Spring.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2017/01/17/msu-adds-arkansas-transfer-guard-jordan-danberry/96684270/

They felt they didn't have any choice but to give a full release or they faced the possibility she might talk more than they wanted her to. Same thing is going on with Freeman but she is a little more vocal and dangerous.