Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Midweek softball

Started by psycHOGlogist, April 06, 2016, 11:49:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

The Hogs travel to SEMO, wait out a thunderstorm, and end up sweeping the Redhawks, 7-4 and 4-3.

At this point, you just have to be happy to get the two wins.

On the upside, both games were come-from-behind wins. We were down 4-1 in the 6th of game 1 and put up 6 runs -- biggest inning of the year so far -- to go ahead. And generally it was all done with the bats. SEMO is not good (really, they're bad) defensively, but we hit the ball well in that inning. In game 2, we were down 3-2 in the top of the 7th, and Diaz popped a 2-run opposite field HR to put us on top. I think it was her 12th HR of the year, which is impressive for anyone, but especially for a freshman. It was our 40th HR of the year so far, too, which I think is a clear improvement in power numbers. 

Carter got the W (she came in to relieve Clark; Moll got her first career save) in game 1, and Moll got the complete game W in the nightcap, complete with a career high 11 K's (with ONLY ONE BB!!!!! She had 3 in just 2 innings of work in G1). More like that please, Grace!

On the downside ... we needed to come from behind in both games against a pretty bad team (they fell to 11-19 with the two losses, and we are the first Big 5 team they've played so far this year). We failed to get a lot of clutch hits with runners on base, but it's hard to complain about clutch hits when you get a 7th inning HR on the road to win.

Happy to get the w's - maybe we will carry some confidence and/or momentum into the home weekend series against USC, which is our best remaining chance to get a conference win this season. (We also have a chance against Ole Miss, but those games are in Oxford.) Go Hogs!

nwahogfan1

Arkansas Softball has to learn to win.    The best way is to recruit winners who play on winning HS or JUCO teams who expect to win and will work hard to that end.  It is a mentality as will as talent.

I know I am preaching to the choir.   I am interested in the our next signing class.

Speaking about recruiting.  When is the next softball signing period?  Does it open up in the Spring like Basketball?  Do we have any big time pitchers looking at us or lined up to sign?

coltseaver

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 07, 2016, 07:55:45 am
Arkansas Softball has to learn to win.    The best way is to recruit winners who play on winning HS or JUCO teams who expect to win and will work hard to that end.  It is a mentality as will as talent.

I know I am preaching to the choir.   I am interested in the our next signing class.

Speaking about recruiting.  When is the next softball signing period?  Does it open up in the Spring like Basketball?  Do we have any big time pitchers looking at us or lined up to sign?

Most of these kids were probably on winning HS teams. HS is irrelevant in softball.

Softball signs during both periods, but most will sign in the fall.

budweiser35

Agree any win at this point is a good win.  It will be tough to find another one.  It will be fun to watch former Hog commit Kenzi Maguire playing SS for USC.  I'll pay the price of admission to watch her.  Sure wish she was wearing a Hog uni.

Hopefully the games will be competitive.  I do admire the girls for never giving up and always fighting.  It was going to be a tough year regardless but all the injuries have made it next to impossible. 

It does look like UCA has established itself currently as the best team in the state the last couple years.  I was very impressed with their win over Miss St and last night they defeated a Mizzou St team 9-3 that run ruled us 11-1. 

There have been bright spots here and there.  Maybe they can put it all together and get another win or two.  It would be great for their confidence.  Its a good group of girls and they play hard.  They deserve something good to happen for them.