Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB at Tennessee, Friday

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 11, 2016, 06:22:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Great start to the game, but Moll has completely imploded (and the coaching staff seemed all too willing to let her). Ark went up 2-0 in T1 off a 2-run HR from Rachel Box. The teams traded runs for the next 4 half-innings, so Hogs were up 4-2 heading into B3, and TN had already changed pitchers.

Moll proceeded to walk two consecutive batters, gave up a double, 4-3 Hogs. Walk, single, walk, walk followed, TN leads 6-4, still no outs.

They finally replace Moll (after 9 BB in less than 3 innings), Carter comes in, gets a ground ball to 1b, but we make an error. 7-4 TN, and still no outs, bases loaded. Next batter grounds to 2nd, E on 2b, 2 more TN runs score.

And I'm out. The offense isn't the problem.

psycHOGlogist

Final - 18-4.

TN uses a 9 run 3rd followed by a 7 run 4th to embarrass the Hogs. Carter couldn't get anyone out in the 4th - she gave up three hits, a walk, and two more hits before being replaced by Clark, who promptly gave up a grand slam before getting 3 outs: HBP who was caught stealing -- really, TN? You're up 18-4 and you try to steal a base? -- groundout, walk, fly out.

That has seemed to be a thing for Carter so far this year - one good inning, followed by trouble.

This is the first time we have been run-ruled this year. The pitching staff gave up 11 walks and 2 HBP in 4 innings, and they were not helped by 3 infield errors.

The weather forecast for Knoxville is poor for Sunday, so we will play a double header tomorrow. The pitching staff is going to have to be able to shake off a debacle and get back out there tomorrow. Tall order. Go Hogs!

psycHOGlogist

Also - Canfield was again not in the lineup.

psycHOGlogist

To be fair, our pitching corps is seriously depleted right now due to injury. Sidney Wright is a very capable pitcher who hasn't thrown all season due to injury. Hailey Meinen also did fairly well last year, and she is out. Allison Stewart has been injured as well. Our #2 pitcher right now is a converted outfielder. Moll has good stuff but regularly struggles with control.

If some of the other pitchers can return, we may see some improvement. If not, I think we will have to ride the wave of Moll's inconsistency this year. I am sure she and the staff are doing their best to make her more consistent.