Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Look Now

Started by Porked Tongue, November 28, 2015, 11:00:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

UA Women's team is underachieving.

Personally, I don't find it surprising.

Scott7703

It's surprising to anyone who doesn't want to see CJD fall on his face. The team returned 3 of its top four players and brought in a top notch recruiting class. At what point did you not expect another solid year?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 28, 2015, 04:41:40 pm
It's surprising to anyone who doesn't want to see CJD fall on his face. The team returned 3 of its top four players and brought in a top notch recruiting class. At what point did you not expect another solid year?

I think you might have misread the op, his statement means that the team isnt doing as well as the op thinks they should.  Or did I misunderstand your post, Scott?   I think I misread your post.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 28, 2015, 04:59:36 pm
I think you might have misread the op, his statement means that the team isnt doing as well as the op thinks they should.  Or did I misunderstand your post, Scott?

I took his post to mean he isn't surprised that the team is underachieving and I took it to be a backhand shot at CJD. If I misunderstood I apologize for my response.

flippinhogmana

no, I think you got it right...no apology except mine is necessary bro.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

rjm1940

I agree with Scott.  I am both surprised and disappointed.  I expected us to win all of our games up to this point with the possible exception of SDS and Oregon State.  I hoped we would be good enough to beat SDS, but I was concerned about how good they might be this year.  They were a very good team last year.  I did not expect to play with Oregon State this year.

This team is taking longer to come together than I expected and we are not getting the production from the JUCO All Americans I expected.  It seems like getting everyone some playing time is more important than winning the game.  I do not think this is what is happening, but it looks like it.

I hope we start to improve quickly.  I saw that Texas beat Tennessee.  I did not expect Texas to be that good.

On the positive side, Danberry seems to be making progress.

revolution

Given what CJD was able to accomplish with last year's roster, I think it's reasonable to believe he will handle and develop this squad appropriately.  It will be interesting to see how this team looks entering conference play and by the end of the year. 

Certainly not the start that was hoped for or expected, but the limited evidence from last year suggests that the season will get much better.

MoHog74

Quote from: revolution on December 01, 2015, 12:23:27 pm
Given what CJD was able to accomplish with last year's roster, I think it's reasonable to believe he will handle and develop this squad appropriately. 

I agree completely.  Last year, it didn't take much to figure out who would start and play a majority of the minutes.  That's the upside of having a limited roster (the only upside).  As we're seeing, this year is much different with the number of players and the skill levels of these players.  It may take a few more games to come together, but I believe CJD has the ability to coach this team to a good season.  WPS   :razorback:

BWS

JD has shown he has the ability to recruit at a high level. Anyone that's familiar with college sports knows recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. I have full confidence that he will turn Arkansas into a top level program. I wouldn't say the team is underachieving right now. I expected some growing pains early in the season with eight newcomers. I think this team will improve as the season progresses.

TexomaRazorback

Agreed. Give him time.

Quote from: BWS on December 01, 2015, 02:40:30 pm
JD has shown he has the ability to recruit at a high level. Anyone that's familiar with college sports knows recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. I have full confidence that he will turn Arkansas into a top level program. I wouldn't say the team is underachieving right now. I expected some growing pains early in the season with eight newcomers. I think this team will improve as the season progresses.

jackflash

its early when you bring in nine new players it takes time. He lost a great point guard.

Hogtied85

Quote from: jackflash on December 02, 2015, 01:04:29 pm
its early when you bring in nine new players it takes time. He lost a great point guard.

How many games do you think we will win this year? Do you think we could make it to the tournament this year????

hog63

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogtired10 on December 02, 2015, 01:08:11 pm

How many games do you think we will win this year? Do you think we could make it to the tournament this year????

I think we will be able to tell if JD is going to get it figured out for this year over the next four games.  I think the answer to your question will be pretty well revealed in the next four games after that (in that four game set we play among others, Texas and our first conference game, South Carolina)

flippinhogmana

south Carolina, btw is 7-0 at this point and ranked 2nd, texas 5-0 and ranked sixth.  The good news from that second quartet of games is that new orleans is 1-3 and miss valley state is 1-6.

Texas has five girls 6-3 or taller all the way up to 6-7.  They are not only big but good, they beat Tennessee by eleven at Tennessee.  You know how big and good SC is.

Porked Tongue

December 02, 2015, 08:05:13 pm #15 Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:09:55 pm by Porked Tongue
He's struggling with teaching.  He had some issues with it last year but had some veteran leadership that was smart enough to overcome it.

Rah rah only gets you so far.

He's great with the P.R. but is failing on teaching and coaching.  He confuses the kids with his 'style". 

Danny J

They certainly looked confused tonight. They looked slow and unsure of what to do on both ends of the court. Lack of fundamentals at times tonight was really surprising as I thought that was going to be a staple of his coaching philosophy like getting back on D, blocking out, smooth rotations, etc....

I am not sure what is going on but it looks bad on the court.

flippinhogmana

December 02, 2015, 09:55:22 pm #17 Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:17:38 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Porked Tongue on December 02, 2015, 08:05:13 pm
He's struggling with teaching.  He had some issues with it last year but had some veteran leadership that was smart enough to overcome it.

Rah rah only gets you so far.

He's great with the P.R. but is failing on teaching and coaching.  He confuses the kids with his 'style".

I would mostly agree, except I would say what he had last year from residue from past years in the experience we had plus one more year of maturity for the starters. 

JD has two things going for him, esprit de corp (which is the rah rah, and also makes him a good recruiter) and some good will and excitement.  Neither this or last has he been very impressive in either using his assistants or coaching himself.  At least last year he learned some things in time to alllow his players to perform decently.  I am not sure its going to happen this year, I would say we have regressed for the most part the last five games rather than the alternative.  I wish and hope I am wrong in that analysis, but at this point unless something changes drastically for the better I doubt if we win double digits this year, maybe not over five or six even.

Danny J

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 02, 2015, 09:55:22 pm
I would mostly agree, except I would say what he had last year from residue from past years in the experience we had plus one more year of maturity for the starters. 

JD has two things going for him, esprit de corp (which is the rah rah, and also makes him a good recruiter) and some good will and excitement.  Neither this or last has he been very impressive in either using his assistants or coaching himself.  At least last year he learned some things in time to alllow his players to perform decently.  I am not sure its going to happen this year, I would say we have regressed for the most part the last five games rather than the alternative.  I wish and hope I am wrong in that analysis.
I think he is finding his way as a head coach. Part of that is getting the team to gel. Getting the team rotations/subs correct. Most importantly it is showing them that HE is in charge. That it is his way or the highway. I think sometimes when bringing in so many new players with a team that returned some pretty good players there is a clash. You get multiple A type personalities that clash. I am not saying that is what is going on but it could be. I think Mike might run into that problem next year bringing in 3 JUCO guys who are all very talented and they are going to take minutes from some of the guys playing right now....you never know what will happen but you have to hope they all get along and mesh. That is a very underrated aspect of team sports that many people on the outside who have never played team sports at a high level can understand.

MoHog74

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 28, 2015, 11:00:19 am
UA Women's team is underachieving.

After tonight's performance, it's hard to dispute ^.

Porked Tongue

Leave two behind.

Obviously you have your built-in excuse to lose today.

Bigger question is the why.  I'd make an argument for dissension is so strong he's trying to make a stand.  Would help if the entire staff was treated with respect by JD.  It would also help if we had coaches that understood about the right way to coach and teach girls basketball players.  Of course, we have two with zippo experience in that department.

Porked Tongue

I expect unexpected attrition to be a normal part of JD's tenure.

Kevin

So the hogs have hired Houston nutt as the women's coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Danny J on December 02, 2015, 09:32:45 pm
They certainly looked confused tonight. They looked slow and unsure of what to do on both ends of the court. Lack of fundamentals at times tonight was really surprising as I thought that was going to be a staple of his coaching philosophy like getting back on D, blocking out, smooth rotations, etc....

I am not sure what is going on but it looks bad on the court.

Same as Nolan's first couple of years and Bobby's and Bret's and any number of coaches that tries to change things.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porked Tongue

But those guys were proven coaches.  Lots of leaps of faith here.