Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Would You Feel If After Signing Day

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, January 31, 2017, 08:34:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Partridge is hired at Florida instead of Arkansas

Mad:  CBB Should have fired Segrest instead of this soft landing BS.
39 (16.3%)
Disappointed:  Partridge would have been a great hire, but that's the biz.
63 (26.3%)
Meh:  Don't know what the big deal is we were 3-9 when he was here.
36 (15%)
Not Worried:  CBB will comb the depths of bad G5 and FCS teams to find a diamond in the rough.
14 (5.8%)
Worried:  CBB will comb the depths of bad G5 and FCS teams and try to sell us on some guy
22 (9.2%)
Frito Pie
66 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 240

Voting closed: February 07, 2017, 08:34:22 am

Dwight_K_Shrute

Saw a tweet where someone suggested that Florida should hire Charlie Partridge to help it's recruiting woes.  Wondering how would everyone feel if this happened.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RazrRila99

My choice isnt on the list.  I think once Robb Smith left and CPR promoted Partridge should have been contracted immediately. 

I dont know the rules but if he was hired as quality control and not a "coach" he might have had a chance to actually work with the kids when the coaches couldln't (ala Grad Assts and Strength Coach).  We have to do something to keep up with what some of the higher profile programs are doing.

RagingHawgOn

I continue to be amazed Segrest still has a job.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: RazrRila99 on January 31, 2017, 09:07:07 am
My choice isnt on the list.  I think once Robb Smith left and CPR promoted Partridge should have been contracted immediately. 

I dont know the rules but if he was hired as quality control and not a "coach" he might have had a chance to actually work with the kids when the coaches couldln't (ala Grad Assts and Strength Coach).  We have to do something to keep up with what some of the higher profile programs are doing.

Yeah I could have put:  Mad: Why wait once Rob Smith left we had an opening.  If you can lock Charlie Partridge up you do it.  But I'd say in absence of that choice, number 1 is the closest thing to it.  Basically implying fill the position as soon as you can with the best possible candidate.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

tophawg19

Charlie Partridges buyout may prevent him from talking a job this year .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 31, 2017, 09:26:34 am
Charlie Partridges buyout may prevent him from talking a job this year .

Doubtful that it prevents him from taking a job.  At worst there is an offset.  If they owe him 750k then whatever he makes at his new job reduces that.  Sometimes the offsets are only for certain levels of jobs eg he takes another HC job or coordinator level position.  Rarely does a buyout actually prevent the fired coaching from taking a new job.

Now he may be fine living off his buyout for a year.  I could see that if he had been at a P5 school and had any modicum of success.  But guys at G5's that weren't making set for life money need to stay in the game and stay relevant.

RazorPiggie

What if we hire Partridge after Signing Day?

jcbville

Really is a lot of "woe is me" hand wringing on here these days.

Grab your comfort blankies. Its going to be a long off season.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 31, 2017, 09:38:56 am

That's the expectation of many if not most.  That's why the poll asks how would the poster feel if that did not happen and he went somewhere else.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 31, 2017, 09:37:31 am
Doubtful that it prevents him from taking a job.  At worst there is an offset.  If they owe him 750k then whatever he makes at his new job reduces that.  Sometimes the offsets are only for certain levels of jobs eg he takes another HC job or coordinator level position.  Rarely does a buyout actually prevent the fired coaching from taking a new job.

Now he may be fine living off his buyout for a year.  I could see that if he had been at a P5 school and had any modicum of success.  But guys at G5's that weren't making set for life money need to stay in the game and stay relevant.

"Hired in December of 2013, Partridge still had two years remaining on his original five-year contract. FAU owes Partridge a little more than $1 million for the remaining two years, but a buyout clause in the contract drops that total to about $200,000 should Partridge quickly find a job on another staff."

http://fauowlaccess.com/floridaatlantic/fau-fires-coach-charlie-partridge/2866/2016/11/27/

LRRandy

Quote from: jcbville on January 31, 2017, 09:55:17 am
Really is a lot of "woe is me" hand wringing on here these days.

Grab your comfort blankies. Its going to be a long off season.
these days? It is the lifeblood of hogville.
This is fun, isn't it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 10:08:08 am
"Hired in December of 2013, Partridge still had two years remaining on his original five-year contract. FAU owes Partridge a little more than $1 million for the remaining two years, but a buyout clause in the contract drops that total to about $200,000 should Partridge quickly find a job on another staff."

http://fauowlaccess.com/floridaatlantic/fau-fires-coach-charlie-partridge/2866/2016/11/27/

Wonder what the definition of quickly is?

Hogwild

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 31, 2017, 10:22:38 am
Wonder what the definition of quickly is?

Quotequick·ly
ˈkwiklē/
adverb
at a fast speed; rapidly.
"Bret went through the bowl of pasta rather quickly"
synonyms:   fast, swiftly, briskly, rapidly, speedily, at the speed of light, at full tilt, as fast as one's legs can carry one, at a gallop, on the double, posthaste;
with little or no delay; promptly.
"we moved quickly to deal with our auditor's questions"

In all seriousness he likely gets monthly checks from FAU, that will stop should he take another job.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Another quote from the article.

"Critics consistently commented about the Owls being out-coached, particularly after halftime. Coming into Saturday's game FAU had only scored 96 points in the second halves of games, while allowing 184."

tophawg19

taking the Hog job would cost him 800,000 unless a deal can be made with FAU .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on January 31, 2017, 09:11:45 am
I continue to be amazed Segrest still has a job.

What's the significance of waiting until after NSD to let him go?  If that's what's happening?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 31, 2017, 11:13:57 am
taking the Hog job would cost him 800,000 unless a deal can be made with FAU .

It would not cost him $800,000.  You are leaving out the amount he would then get paid by the UofA.

If he took a job here making $500,000 per year he would get that for 2 years or $1,000,000 + $200,000 from FAU total $1,200,000.

If he does not work at all he gets $1,000,000 over two years.  So by working he would actually comes out $200,000 ahead.

Or if say UofA only offered $300,000 a year that is $600,000 +$200,000 from FAU for $800,000 total. So in this scenario he would be out $200,000.

Break even salary would be $400k per year which isn't that much for a guy with his recruiting rep and experience.  If he lands anywhere he will make more than $400k.  He also knows that it does him no good to sit out for 2 years.

rljjr

I take it the OP writes poll questions for a political party. Nothing like an obvious agenda. Long off season indeed.

Beardog

Do we know if Partridge is well versed in coaching DL for a 3-4? I'm not saying he can't, just seems most 3-4 teams have two LB coaches and one of those is the OLB coach.  It'll be like having a DT coach and a DE coach next year possibly.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 31, 2017, 10:53:26 am
Another quote from the article.

"Critics consistently commented about the Owls being out-coached, particularly after halftime. Coming into Saturday's game FAU had only scored 96 points in the second halves of games, while allowing 184."

Should fit right in...

bennyl08

I would like to have Partridge on staff. He was a very good recruiter. However, I think there are better pure position coaches out there. So, I'd love to have him back on staff, but it isn't that big a deal if we don't either.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 31, 2017, 11:17:34 am
What's the significance of waiting until after NSD to let him go?  If that's what's happening?

Honestly have no idea. He's never been held out as a master recruiter so it certainly wouldn't have an impact upon signing day.  ???

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 31, 2017, 09:38:56 am
Clay Jennings "found" a job at Texas last year exactly 2 weeks after NSD. I expect the same with Segrest
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

JackJohnson

There isn't an option I liked.

Mine would be they aren't paying me to make those decisions so I'll trust the one that is getting paid  ;D

Seriously though I'm not sure Segrest is actually the problem.  I think the blame falls directly on Smith and his crap scheme and that our DL is going to be vastly improved next year under CPR's defensive scheme

Wildhog

Rice, will you give Segrest a job, already?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Wildhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 31, 2017, 01:39:04 pm
Can he drive a tractor?

If he was able to convince CBB that he can coach/recruit, surely he can convince Rice that he can drive a tractor.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Timfromlittlerockhog

I went with Frito pie. I have an agenda.  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 31, 2017, 01:39:59 pm
If he was able to convince CBB that he can coach/recruit, surely he can convince Rice that he can drive a tractor.

I've taught some people that I never thought I'd have to, send him on over to NEA. I'll start him out running the sweep auger in a grain bin, if he can handle that, he'll appreciate the time in a tractor.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 01:44:14 pm
I've taught some people that I never thought I'd have to, send him on over to NEA. I'll start him out running the sweep auger in a grain bin, if he can handle that, he'll appreciate the time in a tractor.

Sweet.  Let's make it happen.

Go get Partridge!
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on January 31, 2017, 01:43:39 pm
I went with Frito pie. I have an agenda.  :razorback:

Any time Frito Pie is the top choice, it's a good poll. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Why are we waiting so long to make the move, if a move is going to be made?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hobhog

why in the heck is UF so low in recruiting? Coach seems alright and have 1,000 kids in back yard to pick from- weird.

swineology

Darren DeLoach

I doubt he comes back here. Hope I'm wrong. But how many head coaches once fired return to the same lower level job at the school they left to be the main man? I can't think of one, and it has to be super rare.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

LZH

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2017, 02:54:06 pm
why in the heck is UF so low in recruiting? Coach seems alright and have 1,000 kids in back yard to pick from- weird.

McElwain isn't cutting it. Lots of Gators down here already calling him butter teeth.

Ron Zook > JM.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 01, 2017, 03:22:21 am
I doubt he comes back here. Hope I'm wrong. But how many head coaches once fired return to the same lower level job at the school they left to be the main man? I can't think of one, and it has to be super rare.

Only one I can think of is Cutcliffe returning to be OC at TN after he was fired at OM, but that was not immediately after being fired at OM, a year later.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 31, 2017, 02:22:49 pm
Any time Frito Pie is the top choice, it's a good poll.

Man I love frito pie... !!! But I don't get the inside joke about it thats on here.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 01, 2017, 09:32:51 am
Man I love frito pie... !!! But I don't get the inside joke about it thats on here.

There should be a Hogville primer stickied thread with all the inside jokes.

Frito Pie
10-12
Pants Ironed
Jayco (relatively new but an instant classic)

RazrRila99

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 01, 2017, 12:00:36 pm
There should be a Hogville primer stickied thread with all the inside jokes.

Frito Pie
10-12
Pants Ironed
Jayco (relatively new but an instant classic)

You forgot the following:
Redcrapped
I just Steven Hill
LSUFan "unloading the gun" from the Tavern

DeltaBoy

I am feeling GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2017, 12:38:07 pm
I am feeling GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I consider this synonymous with Frito Pie.

Potosihog

IF we have any chance of hiring Partridge it is a done deal already.  Waiting for whatever is going on with Segrest will not have anything to do with it. 

Potosihog

Now that Beliema has publicly announced that he has been meeting with coaches and that one of them had a team in the playoffs (NFL), I'm guessing CCP is not the guy.  Maybe he sits on that buyout and comes in as the 10th assistant.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 31, 2017, 08:34:22 am
Saw a tweet where someone suggested that Florida should hire Charlie Partridge to help it's recruiting woes.  Wondering how would everyone feel if this happened.
must be nice to think you have "recruiting woes" with a #13 class.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogwild

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 01, 2017, 08:01:07 pm
must be nice to think you have "recruiting woes" with a #13 class.

LSU just fired Dameyune Craig (WR Coach) and reassigned Jabbar Juluke (RB coach). 
Coach O wasn't happy with their misses on the recruiting trail.