Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Build your All-Hog team. (Skill positions on Offense)

Started by Ben, January 24, 2017, 12:57:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Harold Carmichael.....6'7".

Not getting too involved in this end of the conversation, but he was a freakishly large receiver for his day. Truthfully, I don't even know that he was that good.

Pork Twain

January 27, 2017, 12:46:12 pm #151 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:58:57 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: al_pigcino on January 27, 2017, 11:35:17 am
Because only your opinion matters? 
No, but I am not the one on here trying to convince you that I am right and being critical our your choices because they don't match up with mine or my reasoning.  But for your insistence that your way was the only way, we would not be here right now.

Strike that, I completely agree that you are 100% correct.  Now we can all move on.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

QB: Mallett, Wilson, Austin Allen?
RB: McFadden, JWill, Felix, Collins
FB: Hillis, Small
WR: Childs, Matt Jones, Monk, Adams, Wright, Hamilton
TE: Henry, Williams, Sprinkle
LT: Peters, Love
LG: Burlsworth, Bailey, Williams
C: Swanson, Luigs, Ragnow?
RG: Andrews, Petrus, Tretola
RT: Ugoh, Garner, Lacy

DE: Anderson, Bequette
DT: M. Harrison, Jackson Jr
DT: Philon, DD Jones
DE: Flowers, Smith, Wise Jr?
LB: Bua, Olajabutu
LB: Miller, Franklin, Harris?
LB: Spaight, Highsmith
CB: Carrol, Coe, Pulley?
CB: Houston, George Wilson
S: Thomas, Curl?
S: Hamilin, Nelson

* Players from my time as a hog fan. Obvious somebody like Alworth, Billy Ray, Hampton, Atwater would make the team had they been during my time.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 27, 2017, 01:01:23 pm
QB: Mallett, Wilson, Austin Allen?
RB: McFadden, JWill, Felix, Collins
FB: Hillis, Small
WR: Childs, Matt Jones, Monk, Adams, Wright, Hamilton
TE: Henry, Williams, Sprinkle
LT: Peters, Love
LG: Burlsworth, Bailey, Williams
C: Swanson, Luigs, Ragnow?
RG: Andrews, Petrus, Tretola
RT: Ugoh, Garner, Lacy

DE: Anderson, Bequette
DT: M. Harrison, Jackson Jr
DT: Philon, DD Jones
DE: Flowers, Smith, Wise Jr?
LB: Bua, Olajabutu
LB: Miller, Franklin, Harris?
LB: Spaight, Highsmith
CB: Carrol, Coe, Pulley?
CB: Houston, George Wilson
S: Thomas, Curl?
S: Hamilin, Nelson

* Players from my time as a hog fan. Obvious somebody like Alworth, Billy Ray, Hampton, Atwater would make the team had they been during my time.
Could you imagine the wildhog with Jones at qb and Dmac and Felix at RB and on the next play shift Jones to WR and bring in RM to run qb.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

El Puerco Grande

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 25, 2017, 11:54:50 am
Well now we are changing parameters. 

The Jim Brown from the 60's would not start in the NFL now.  You guys can argue you want and be wrong.  Being a dominate player in his era is a farce. 

I don't know Jim Brown's current age, but I bet you wouldn't say that to his face.
How 'bout them hogs?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LZH on January 27, 2017, 12:30:57 pm
Harold Carmichael.....6'7".

Not getting too involved in this end of the conversation, but he was a freakishly large receiver for his day. Truthfully, I don't even know that he was that good.
Yep, this is the guy. I thought he played for the Steelers but he played for the Eagles. And he was pretty salty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Carmichael
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/797911-nfl-tallest-players-in-nfl-history-at-each-position

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pudgepork

Going by what Al's parameters that old timers stay at their talent and capabilities from the old days against today's finely tuned atheletes, I'd give the modern era guys the advantahe on the first series or two.   Beyond  that, I wonder if the modern guys would even go back on the field without guns.
The old era players would have the modern ones scared to run a play

hog.goblin

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 28, 2017, 01:55:03 pm
Going by what Al's parameters that old timers stay at their talent and capabilities from the old days against today's finely tuned atheletes, I'd give the modern era guys the advantahe on the first series or two.   Beyond  that, I wonder if the modern guys would even go back on the field without guns.
The old era players would have the modern ones scared to run a play

Good point, if Butkus is still allowed to helmet slap, face mask, and clothesline today's players might call mercy before halftime.

al_pigcino

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 28, 2017, 02:38:40 pm
Good point, if Butkus is still allowed to helmet slap, face mask, and clothesline today's players might call mercy before halftime.
He would have to catch them first......It's not the size that matters, it's the speed.  The 250lb linebackers in the old days are about the equivalent of 300lb offensive linemen in today's age.  Speed kills. 

Ben

My take on the generational argument, if the players up to the 60s had the same resources and training as today, some of them would be jacksh*t great. But if they had the same training and resources as back then, going up against players today, I'm sorry, but they would be at a physical disadvantage. Now mental wise, they are still more physical and fundamentally sound. but the average line today is around 6'5, 300 pounds. Players today at running back or fullback could probably play on the line back then. Lets not talk about speed. each generation gets bigger, stronger, and faster. Some of us from the old age don't want to admit, but players today would fare pretty well against players from the 60's on down. Sure you have your exceptions like Jim Brown and Dick butkus, but for the most part, players today would do pretty well.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

You have linemen and linebackers today running as fast as running backs and some wide recievers in the 60s. Just let that sink in. Players are evolving
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.