Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting MIF

Started by bulldog04, April 15, 2015, 09:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

Honestly I don't know should be our starting MIF.  Mac is hot right now.  Nomura is batting 293 and only made 1 error all year.  Bernal is batting close to 300 and been good defensively.  I would consider putting either Bernal or Mac at DH.  It's a good problem to have I guess

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bulldog04 on April 15, 2015, 09:43:20 pm
Honestly I don't know should be our starting MIF.  Mac is hot right now.  Nomura is batting 293 and only made 1 error all year.  Bernal is batting close to 300 and been good defensively.  I would consider putting either Bernal or Mac at DH.  It's a good problem to have I guess

Nomura should start at second while he is hitting. period.  that would leave ss between the two.  both have their good points. both have strong arms, bernal the stronger.  both have decent range McAfee the greater.  both have too many errors.  both hit for power, both are streaky.  If all three of them stay hot, play nomura at second, mc at short or bernal at short, dh the other unless our dhs are also hot.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

bighog2255

I think Bernal should definitely be starting, and I would put him at 2nd. McAfee would be my starting SS.

I am not a big Nomura fan. He has a nice average, but it seems like empty singles with little power and lack of clutch hitting. Just my observations with what I have seen.

Bernal: .279, 86 ABs, 17 RBIs, .794 OPS
McAfee: .304, 69 ABs, 9 RBIs, .796 OPS
Nomura: .293, 116 ABs, 10 RBIs, .778 OPS

Obviously very close. Nomura should definitely have a role on this team, but not as significant as he does now. I was expecting his value to be increased by stealing some bases. He has 1.

dotnet

If mcafee is healthy, I'd start him. I've thought that all year

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 16, 2015, 12:15:21 pm
I think Bernal should definitely be starting, and I would put him at 2nd. McAfee would be my starting SS.

I am not a big Nomura fan. He has a nice average, but it seems like empty singles with little power and lack of clutch hitting. Just my observations with what I have seen.

Bernal: .279, 86 ABs, 17 RBIs, .794 OPS
McAfee: .304, 69 ABs, 9 RBIs, .796 OPS
Nomura: .293, 116 ABs, 10 RBIs, .778 OPS

Obviously very close. Nomura should definitely have a role on this team, but not as significant as he does now. I was expecting his value to be increased by stealing some bases. He has 1.

Look I am a McAfee fan, but, the fact is until he had a four out of five day and a good day the day before, he was batting about two fifty.  He has a lot less at bats than the other two, I dont know if that is because he wasnt 100 percent or because he wasnt hitting or both.  If memory serves he has four errors on a lot less chances than bernal who has five (again if i remember from several days ago).  If they both get hot use them both in some capacity.  But if Gassaway, Shaddy or Bonfield get/stay hot, they have more power.

I would that they all get hot and it makes DVH pull his hair out how to play them all.  Also on my wish list, at least ten pitchers start pitching effectively.  We are a couple short on that list.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 16, 2015, 02:02:53 pm
Look I am a McAfee fan, but, the fact is until he had a four out of five day and a good day the day before, he was batting about two fifty.  He has a lot less at bats than the other two, I dont know if that is because he wasnt 100 percent or because he wasnt hitting or both.  If memory serves he has four errors on a lot less chances than bernal who has five (again if i remember from several days ago).  If they both get hot use them both in some capacity.  But if Gassaway, Shaddy or Bonfield get/stay hot, they have more power.

I would that they all get hot and it makes DVH pull his hair out how to play them all.  Also on my wish list, at least ten pitchers start pitching effectively.  We are a couple short on that list.
I think McAfee should be our starting SS.  I like his overall game better.  Their FLD% are nearly identical (around .965).

Bernal and Nomura should platoon.  If Nomura was a big terror on the base paths like I think he should be, I would have him as the full time starter, but Nomura should start against RHPs while Bernal should start against LHPs.

As far as DH, I think Spanberger should start against RHPs while Bonfield should start against LHPs.  Bonfield might have finally figured it out while Spanberger is one big fly away from terrorizing college baseball and making this lineup even deeper.

Scott7703

Mcafee and Nomura should be the starting middle infield. DH should be between spanberger, Gassaway and Bonfield. Would also like to see shaddy get a few more at bats.

hogman64

McAfee at short and Bernal at second  , the offense is pretty close among the three   and to me mcafee and bernal is the best  defensive combination,  Nomura doesn't have good range at second and seems not to get to a lot of balls that  Bernal can get..........I think Bonfield is about to  be our DH most games....

SPAL

Quote from: hogman64 on April 16, 2015, 10:47:18 pm
McAfee at short and Bernal at second  , the offense is pretty close among the three   and to me mcafee and bernal is the best  defensive combination,  Nomura doesn't have good range at second and seems not to get to a lot of balls that  Bernal can get..........I think Bonfield is about to  be our DH most games....

Why? He is sub .200 BA with at least 3 other options to DH who are hitting for average. He finally got an XBH and took some free passes and now he is about to be our starting DH in the home stretch?. No chance.

I guess I'm not one that has been overly impressed with Spanberger. I get the potential angle but he strikes out a lot,  2nd on the team behind Serrano. He hasn't proven that he can be a home run threat, and  based on his pedestrian slugging percentage%, doesn't appear to be an XBH guy, although he does have 3 triples.

For a freshman, I'll give him his due. He is having a decent year. But I would like to see Gassaway get some AB'S.  He has hit 2 bombs and is hitting over .340. He is almost 100 points better than spanberger. He has taken advantage of his chances and I believe he is a better defensive 1b than Eagan. His stretch is better, longer, and he has a nice pick.

Just from observing him every chance I've had, he has looked the part.

bulldog04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 17, 2015, 01:17:53 am
Why? He is sub .200 BA with at least 3 other options to DH who are hitting for average. He finally got an XBH and took some free passes and now he is about to be our starting DH in the home stretch?. No chance.

I guess I'm not one that has been overly impressed with Spanberger. I get the potential angle but he strikes out a lot,  2nd on the team behind Serrano. He hasn't proven that he can be a home run threat, and  based on his pedestrian slugging percentage%, doesn't appear to be an XBH guy, although he does have 3 triples.

For a freshman, I'll give him his due. He is having a decent year. But I would like to see Gassaway get some AB'S.  He has hit 2 bombs and is hitting over .340. He is almost 100 points better than spanberger. He has taken advantage of his chances and I believe he is a better defensive 1b than Eagan. His stretch is better, longer, and he has a nice pick.

I don't think Bonfield is quite ready for SEC play just yet.  Shady is batting 364 with 3 bombs.  I would put him as DH and bat him 6th or leadoff

knoxvillehog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 17, 2015, 01:17:53 am

I agree with SPAL, Gassaway needs more ABs!

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on April 17, 2015, 07:41:20 am
I don't think Bonfield is quite ready for SEC play just yet.  Shady is batting 364 with 3 bombs.  I would put him as DH and bat him 6th or leadoff

Shaddy lead off??? Not sure I'm following on that. I do believe shaddy has earned more ABs.

Sueie

Quote from: dotnet on April 16, 2015, 01:02:37 pm
If mcafee is healthy, I'd start him. I've thought that all year

I have HOLLERED every game to start McAfee. I guess Carver does not make out the lineup.  ;D

bulldog04

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 17, 2015, 10:53:36 am
Shaddy lead off??? Not sure I'm following on that. I do believe shaddy has earned more ABs.
Why? Is it because of his low BA?

lefty08

i think Bernal has the best glove. I have more confidence in his bat than either of the 2 as well. He should be in the lineup every day imo
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SPAL

Quote from: lefty08 on April 18, 2015, 08:40:31 am
i think Bernal has the best glove. I have more confidence in his bat than either of the 2 as well. He should be in the lineup every day imo

To add to that, he turns double plays more efficiently than the others. He is def the better shortstop.

lefty08

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 18, 2015, 08:48:17 am
To add to that, he turns double plays more efficiently than the others. He is def the better shortstop.

I agree, he does muff some routine plays from time to time, but if its a "wow" play the guy is money. He is so good defensively I think he loses concentration on routine plays sometimes
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Sueie

Quote from: lefty08 on April 18, 2015, 08:58:40 am
I agree, he does muff some routine plays from time to time, but if its a "wow" play the guy is money. He is so good defensively I think he loses concentration on routine plays sometimes

I agree but I cringe every time they ask him to lay down a bunt.

lefty08

Quote from: Sueie on April 18, 2015, 09:28:18 am
I agree but I cringe every time they ask him to lay down a bunt.

That happens with everyone on the roster for me