Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discuss: Is SEC Baseball better than SEC Football

Started by SPAL, April 13, 2015, 06:20:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

From top to bottom, are we a better baseball conference than football?

I think we are in the sense that there is a thin line from the best to the worst. Arkansas took 2/3 from a Kentucky team that won 2/3 from LSU in baton rouge.

In football, the best team will usually win. Bama isn't losing to vandy in football. But in baseball, it isn't such a given.

Could be that it is just the game itself, but I think you could make a legit claim that it is, or at least even.

Kevin

top to bottom sec baseball is better than football

where in the heck did missouri baseball come from this year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfan14

Most years I would say yes, but i'm not sure this year with South Carolina, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and ourselves not as good as we have been recently.

The hardest thing to do out of all the SEC sports is to get a sweep in baseball though IMO

BroyledNutts

The SEC is consistently better year after year in  baseball than in football...for me, anyway.

Part of it is the nature of the game - every day is a new day and what happened yesterday, outside of injuries, will have no impact on what happens today.

Part of it is that baseball has always been a sport that can transform the unknown player into a major leaguer - In football its usually that the good get better and the unknown play for who cares state with very little chance of ever being noticed. Success in football relies so heavily on the recruiting base for a particular program - you don't have to get every 5 star player in baseball to have success and be competitive.

Thanks to the level of parity in this league, SEC baseball is usually way more entertaining than football...and the dominant teams in baseball change every year, unlike football...and anyone can lose to anyone at any time...that's what makes it fun.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

The way I see it, SEC baseball is going to be "better" than other conferences in baseball for longer periods of time. Right now, I don't see any other conference catching up with the SEC in baseball, it's a long process to make that change in baseball. I'm not talking about a team/conference getting hot and winning a few CWS here and there, but over the long haul, SEC baseball should stay ahead. The power in football can change in a couple years and the PTB have more interest and will make adjustments to keep the rest of the country competitive. There's to much money to lose in football and I don't see them letting SEC football get to far ahead for very long, anymore.

Another thing to think about is the money that football brings the SEC, which some is used for baseball (not us so much, we are basically self sufficient) and with the nice stadiums and indoor practice facilities and warm weather, baseball dominance should stay ahead longer because we will spend money on baseball to keep it at the top.

I'm proud to be in the SEC, especially in baseball. Every school has big and beautiful parks and when I read and see photos and videos of these other conferences facilities, I can just tell they don't have the pride that we do.

Knot2brite

SEC baseball has more parity. It is competitive,usually, from top to bottom. SEC football has its lower level teams and middle level teams and a couple highest level teams
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 13, 2015, 06:20:00 am
From top to bottom, are we a better baseball conference than football?

I think we are in the sense that there is a thin line from the best to the worst. Arkansas took 2/3 from a Kentucky team that won 2/3 from LSU in baton rouge.

In football, the best team will usually win. Bama isn't losing to vandy in football. But in baseball, it isn't such a given.

Could be that it is just the game itself, but I think you could make a legit claim that it is, or at least even.

At the end of the day though, the few in football go undefeated and often a team loses less than 10% of their games.  Has that EVER been done in baseball?  It's just the game, you play so many that you will in fact lose a few more. 

Horsesrus

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 13, 2015, 03:42:36 pm

I'm proud to be in the SEC, especially in baseball. Every school has big and beautiful parks and when I read and see photos and videos of these other conferences facilities, I can just tell they don't have the pride that we do.

You haven't been to Columbia, Missouri for baseball.  There is nothing big or beautiful about their stadium.  I couldn't believe it when I went to see the Hogs play there yesterday having only attended college baseball at Baum prior.