Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The turning point in Tyler Spoon's season

Started by ucahogfan, April 08, 2015, 10:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Being benched for that first game against Memphis.  He was hitting below .300 and struggling before that game, but since he has been on fire and is now hitting .342 on the year.  I think he realized that his position isn't secure and he needs to produce.  Benintendi and Spoon make a scary 3/4 right now.  If Serrano and Eagan get going like we know they can, our 1-4 will be as scary as any in the country IMO.  Here is the lineup I would run out Friday night against Kentucky:

Eagan          1B
Serrano        2B
Benintendi    CF
Spoon           RF
Shaddy         LF
Wernes         3B
Spanberger   DH
McAfee          SS
Pennell           C

1-6 is very scary and Spanberger is going to catch on fire at any time.  McAfee has the talent to be a .300 hitter and play solid defense up the middle.  Pennell is in there because he turns in good ABs even if they don't wind up with a hit and he is our best defensive option behind the plate.

flippinhogmana

Brother,

You are so right about Spoon, and Spoon and Benintendi, and about the 1-4 part of our batting order.  (as usual huh)

I would agree with you on all but one position.  I think you know I like Spanberger, but he is tanking right now and Cullen Gassaway isn't.  I know he has less abs, but they aren't that much different in some respects except Cullen is hitting about 150 pts higher and his slugging percentage is nearly double.  I would have to give Spanberger at least a day or two off and see how Gassaway handles it at this point.  I would put him number six in the order with his numbers (ahead of Wernes who while he still has a high average hasn't been stroking the ball like he was earlier).

Catcher?  I don't know about that one, I don't disagree, but I would just say this: I would put the best defensive catcher out there pretty much the rest of the year, which ever the pitchers have the most confidence in.  I like Pennell and think he is the catcher of the future, but neither Gosser or Pennell is hitting much.  I
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogman64

I love the idea of putting Serrano at 2b and sitting both Nomura and Bernal.....I like McAfee as our SS and always have ..Nomura and Bernal keep getting chances  with the same results, at least just sit them both for awhile and see what happens..as for Spoon he hits when he swings at strikes and not balls, he is being much more selective at the plate since his hitting has improved, before he turned it around  he swung at more balls than strikes

SPAL

I would put gassaway at 1st and Eagan at DH. Gassaway is hitting too well to keep out of the lineup.

Kevin

Serrano at second , it is mcafee's turn at short. Man are we weak there.

Spoon is being more aggressive at the plate. Notice he is swinging early in the count. Over the last two season never saw anyone in more 1-2 or 0-2 counts than him.

Liked what I saw from Sanburn yesterday.  Looked like he had some control, not trying to throw a 1000 mph
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22