Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs and Texas . . . "misery loves company" (RPI)

Started by WizardofhOgZ, April 06, 2015, 08:51:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

(**NOTE: Those of you in the "why do we care about Texas anymore?" camp can tune out now)

While we are struggling through a season that's so close to being normal - but isn't - it's somewhat comforting to see that Texas is having a similar season.

The difference is that (1) until today's poll (which will be out later), Texas has remained ranked, out of deference to their name; (2) Texas is in the middle of a 7 game losing steak (6 of which are conference games, being outscored by a cumulative 10 runs to 27) to reach their current 5-7 conference record, while we have won 2 straight series and came within a gut-wrenching whisker of sweeping both (with a cumulative score of 37 to 24 in those games).  So, our arrow is trending a little in the up direction, while theirs is pointed straight down.

What's a little odd to me is that we have essentially the same record (they are 17-15, we are 16-15), but our SOS is 28th, while theirs if 57th; yet, they are still just ahead of us in RPI.  You'd think that differential in SOS would put us a little ahead of them.

Regardless, both have a lot of work to do to make post season play.  But the win Sunday kept us in reach of that goal.  We MUST win this series against UK.  It is unrealistic against ANY SEC team to expect a sweep.  In almost all cases, for that to happen you have to be a little lucky (like Vandy was against us).  But if we continue to win series, we will get where we need to be.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/rpi

dbhog

A lot of ranking has to do with if you were ranked early in the season in the polls.  That is why Texass has still been ranked but they will be dropping out.

pigture perfect

I am tempted to go to shaggybevo to laugh at those texacans for their bad seasons in all 3 major sports.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TikiHog

Texas is actually 5-4 in Big 12 play....3 of their losses were at Nebraska

TikiHog

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TikiHog on April 06, 2015, 11:28:25 am
Texas is actually 5-4 in Big 12 play....3 of their losses were at Nebraska

You are correct. Too many years of Nebraska being in the Big 12 caused me to miss that.

TikiHog

reddogjcss

We are going to from this point on finish out VERY STRONG

Iwastherein1969

let's see, which fan base spends more money on Warren Nolan products ?  my guess is that it would be the Whorns in exponential fashion....money talks, and you know what walks...its always been that way with these fish wraps who cover collegiate sports...their first priority is marketing and trust me, each one of these reports, magazines, whatever knows who buys their products.....now who's going to get the benefit of the doubt, the Arkansas fan base looking for a freebie column to read or the Texas fan base paying monthly for a service provided ?  2+2 = 4 (tax not included)
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 09, 2015, 11:15:47 pm
let's see, which fan base spends more money on Warren Nolan products ?  my guess is that it would be the Whorns in exponential fashion....money talks, and you know what walks...its always been that way with these fish wraps who cover collegiate sports...their first priority is marketing and trust me, each one of these reports, magazines, whatever knows who buys their products.....now who's going to get the benefit of the doubt, the Arkansas fan base looking for a freebie column to read or the Texas fan base paying monthly for a service provided ?  2+2 = 4 (tax not included)

Sorry . . . not in this case.  RPI (even the estimators) is just a formula; you plug in the numbers and you get the result.  Here is another RPI estimator, and while the exact rankings are ever-so-slightly different, the relative placement of the two teams is pretty much the same.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

TikiHog

texas shutout by Sam Houston State tonight to drop to 19-18...WSU lost to KSU to drop to 13-23