Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Football the Most Dangerous Sport for our Kids?

Started by moses_007, September 28, 2017, 05:17:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

onebadrubi

Inhogswetrust

Then that Doctor shouldn't let his kids, skate, play baseball, basketball, ride bikes, go to the playground, ski, run, ride in a car, etc., etc.

In other words don't let kids have fun since there are risks EVERYWHERE in life.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 28, 2017, 05:19:46 am
I think Frogger is a little more dangerous. 

That damn carpel tunnel comes at you so fast it just messes you up!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Fan1958

Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

jkstock04

I still laugh at the kneejerks and sophisticates all of the sudden "discovering" that football is dangerous and head injury may occur.

It's a revelation of some sort that if you hammer your head together with with other guys for years on end, head injury may occur. Shocker I know. Keep in mind there are people getting paid millions to spread this never before heard of idea around.

This is about nothing but politics and $$$. Mainly $$$. I got a letter in the mail a while back about joining a class action lawsuit against the NCAA to sue them for any possible brain injury I may have gotten. It's straight lunacy the type of stuff that goes on.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 28, 2017, 07:50:50 am
I still laugh at the kneejerks and sophisticates all of the sudden "discovering" that football is dangerous and head injury may occur.

It's a revelation of some sort that if you hammer your head together with with other guys for years on end, head injury may occur. Shocker I know. Keep in mind there are people getting paid millions to spread this never before heard of idea around.

This is about nothing but politics and $$$. Mainly $$$. I got a letter in the mail a while back about joining a class action lawsuit against the NCAA to sue them for any possible brain injury I may have gotten. It's straight lunacy the type of stuff that goes on.

And I still laugh at all the kneejerk reactions of people seemingly mad that parents are being given more information about the POSSIBLE dangers of head trauma caused by both one time head trauma and repetitive head trauma. I am also amazed at the vitriol shown by those who act as if this additional information is somehow hurting them personally.

A young man in Arkansas was taken to Children's Hospital last Fri night with a sever brain injury suffered on a routine tackle. In what other sport are players routinely injured, either head, or other body parts, at the rate they are in football?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2017, 08:25:36 am
And I still laugh at all the kneejerk reactions of people seemingly mad that parents are being given more information about the POSSIBLE dangers of head trauma caused by both one time head trauma and repetitive head trauma. I am also amazed at the vitriol shown by those who act as if this additional information is somehow hurting them personally.

A young man in Arkansas was taken to Children's Hospital last Fri night with a sever brain injury suffered on a routine tackle. In what other sport are players routinely injured, either head, or other body parts, at the rate they are in football?

To your last point I would wager boxing or MMA. Before you know it someone will start a class action lawsuit suing over long term injury for prolong MMA fighting lol. It's loony toon stuff man. I can't believe you of all people don't see the politics and $$$$ that is behind this "movement."

Just think, you or I could've started this campaign 4 or 5 years ago and with the right organization and skill set turned it into a multi million dollar "charity fund" or some crap like that. Just sit at the top and collect the $$$.

In the end it's just amazing to me that people are shocked that football and head trauma are correlated. That's a 'here's your sign' type of deal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DeltaBoy

Quote from: moses_007 on September 28, 2017, 05:17:44 am
This doctor believes it is.  He says young men shouldn't play football until they're 18 years old.  Your thoughts?

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/good_housekeeping-doctor_warns_parents_not_to_let_kids_play_these_6-rhearst

Nanny DR

We been playing for over 100 years.  Folks Crap happens.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

George S. Pigton

I could see not letting boys play tackle football until Jr High or even 9th grade.  The only true skill you learn or practice before then is speed
and remembering the plays. 
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

1highhog

September 28, 2017, 08:52:11 am #11 Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:12:40 pm by 1highhog
This doctor believes it is.  He says young men shouldn't play football until they're 18 years old.  Your thoughts?

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/good_housekeeping-doctor_warns_parents_not_to_let_kids_play_these_6-rhearst

football-skateboarding, I'd rather my kids play football.

bphi11ips

Cue the usual suspect (s). 

Here's what I know.  Football is dangerous.  I played it for years and wish I could go back and play longer.  Nothing I have ever done gave me the sense of confidence, comaraderie and work ethic that football gave me.  Not baseball.  Not basketball. Not track.  Not golf.  Do I care whether people find football now to be a violent, dangerous and politically incorrect game?  No. Those people can steer their kids towards the other sports and the band and theater, etc.  Will they get the same experience I got from football?  Maybe. 

My daughter is a cheerleader.  She loves it.  She works hard at it.  It is tremenous exercise and requires hours of practice and teamwork.  Football is not an option for her.  I have seen more concussions, torn ligaments, broken arms, sprained ankles, and shinsplints in cheer than I have seen in football.  My son is in his 11th year of football.  My daughter is in her 10th year of cheerleading.

Tomorrow my son's team will play for first place in its region in the highest classification in the state. The 34 other seniors on his team are his best friends.  They have played with and against each other for 10 years.  The game will be televised live on local television.  There will be close to 10,000 people and two great marching bands in the stands.  My daughter will be on the sidelines cheering our packed student section on.  After the game, students, players coaches and parents will gather at each end of the field.  One side will shed a few tears, but everyone will have a memory they will carry with them for a lifetime.  The players will share stories about the game 50 years from now.

There is a letter from the Selective Service sitting on the kitchen counter at my house right now.  That time has come for my son.  Now I am scared, but it's his turn.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Razorbackers

Bro don't you know science and information are for idiots.

island hog

1highhog

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 28, 2017, 07:31:41 am
You know the sport with the most concussions?  Girls soccer.  Fact.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/new-study-shows-that-girls-soccer-has-higher-per-capita-rate-of-concussions-than-any-other-sport

But it's not PC or politically expedient to discuss that fact.

I'd argue that fact, skateboarding I imagine is not considered a sport but there is no way anything that has more injuries than riding around on one of those things.

DeltaBoy

Soccer, Cheer leading and  Basketball have more injuries,.  98% of all these cases have been folks who played College and Pro football. Stats say 1% of all HS Players in the US make it to college and less goes to the Pros so these so called researchers are dealing with a very small sample pool.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

cc

Skateboarding and bmx style bike riding.  A lot of it is not recorded like football etc. because a lot is done in the backyard etc. and not reported if a kid has a headache.  If mom doesn't know........ I think any style sport where physical intensity happens, injuries happen.  I would think tennis would result in a lot of knee and ankle problems but maybe not.  But I agree that football can cause long term effects that last a lifetime.  I've had 7 knee surgeries before the age of 37 and last being a knee replacement that I hope makes it to 55 to get my next one.  I like football but would have played baseball year around by high school had it been available to me.  I actually love golf now but never was exposed to it until I got to college. 

Kids learn a lot in team sports both positive and negative.  My biggest determining factor in allowing my child to play sports on a team has more to do with the coach and philosophy than maybe anything else. 

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 28, 2017, 08:55:52 am
Bro don't you know science and information are for idiots.
Science and information...just like any other data, can easily be twisted to adhere to an agenda. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here. Simple common sense tells me it's quite possible to get injured playing football. Let me guess though, you are all for all of this and see the "data" as mind  blowing and a revelation? Now, see coming from you that would make sense. I see this campaign as a major liberal agenda attack on football with the end motivation being $$$$. So you being all in on it fits perfectly.

I'm simply saying if it's really a SURPRISE to anyone that head trauma, or even prolonged head trauma...is a possibility with playing years of football, then they need to go back to grade school.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 28, 2017, 09:12:39 am
Science and information...just like any other data, can easily be twisted to adhere to an agenda. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here. Simple common sense tells me it's quite possible to get injured playing football. Let me guess though, you are all for all of this and see the "data" as mind  blowing and a revelation? Now, see coming from you that would make sense. I see this campaign as a major liberal agenda attack on football with the end motivation being $$$$. So you being all in on it fits perfectly.

I'm simply saying if it's really a SURPRISE to anyone that head trauma, or even prolonged head trauma...is a possibility with playing years of football, then they need to go back to grade school.
Thank you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Razorbackers

Razorbackers

I don't even believe you're a human, I think you're a conspiracy mad lib robot sent to ruin the world.

DeltaBoy

SMILE and Play Football!

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 28, 2017, 09:23:48 am
I don't even believe you're a human, I think you're a conspiracy mad lib robot sent to ruin the world.
I lol'ed.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

Quote from: George S. Pigton on September 28, 2017, 08:42:16 am
I could see not letting boys play tackle football until Jr High or even 9th grade.  The only true skill you learn or practice before then is speed

The age at which kids should begin to play tackle is subject to debate.  For me, five is too young.  Eight is about right.

I completely disagree that kids can't learn much about football until they are in the eight or ninth grade.  Tackling skills, in particular, can be taught at the earliest age.  Proper form, i.e., athletic position, eyes up, footwork, proper use of the sideline as an extra defender, etc., can not only be taught at an early age, teaching it correctly (in accordance with the diagrams posted in every NFL locker room) would substantially reduce injuries.

Speed is not taught.  Speed is a natural ability.  Proper running form can be taught, but that is best done in track, and track speed (and running form) is different than it is in football.

Football is under attack.  There are many who would love to see it fail, some for competitive advantages, others for perceived sense of superiority to the barbarians who allow their children to place themselves in harm's way for their own entertainment.  The game can be made safer.  One of the best ways to do that is to teach proper fundamentals from the beginning.  Helmets are not made to be battering rams, they are made to protect the head.     

hogsanity

Quote from: cc on September 28, 2017, 09:09:58 am

Kids learn a lot in team sports both positive and negative.  My biggest determining factor in allowing my child to play sports on a team has more to do with the coach and philosophy than maybe anything else.

I agree there is a lot to learn from team sports. My older boy played football, basketball and ran track at various times through JR and HS. My younger one plays basketball and baseball.

I am still entertained though by those who seem to act as if football is THE ONLY team sport worth a darn, and THE ONLY WAY for kid to prove they are tough, etc. I've seen my kid catch 4 or 5 games in the middle of a hot July day, he is plenty tough. He does not have to go out and crack heads on the football field to prove anything. He also did not need football to teach him the value of teamwork, hard work, effort, etc.

And for those nervous nellies that think football is going to be taken away from them, don't worry, your gladiators will still be out there every Fri Sat and Sun from Sept through Jan to entertain and help you relive the time you scored 4 td's against podunk rural special to help your team to a glorious 1-9 record your sr season. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 28, 2017, 09:49:05 am
The age at which kids should begin to play tackle is subject to debate.  For me, five is too young.  Eight is about right.

I completely disagree that kids can't learn much about football until they are in the eight or ninth grade.  Tackling skills, in particular, can be taught at the earliest age.  Proper form, i.e., athletic position, eyes up, footwork, proper use of the sideline as an extra defender, etc., can not only be taught at an early age, teaching it correctly (in accordance with the diagrams posted in every NFL locker room) would substantially reduce injuries.

Speed is not taught.  Speed is a natural ability.  Proper running form can be taught, but that is best done in track, and track speed (and running form) is different than it is in football.

Football is under attack.  There are many who would love to see it fail, some for competitive advantages, others for perceived sense of superiority to the barbarians who allow their children to place themselves in harm's way for their own entertainment.  The game can be made safer.  One of the best ways to do that is to teach proper fundamentals from the beginning.  Helmets are not made to be battering rams, they are made to protect the head.     

problem is a vast majority of youth level coaches are just volunteers. Too many of which think they are Nick Saban. They do not know or care to tech proper fundamental, they are too busy drawing up plays and creating wrist bands with plays on it. All the while the kids do not even know how to line up properly, or get in a proper stance.

As for football being under attack, don't worry, the inner city kids that populate the college and pro teams are not going to quit playing football. Much like the military was 2 or 3 decades ago, sports are seen as one of the only ways out for them, so they will keep playing.

Razorback de Nosferatu

I don't think the sudden wave of information concerning head trauma and football is a "liberal agenda."  That idea reeks almost as badly as Rush claiming category four and five hurricanes are somehow part of a liberal agenda. 

I don't like this growing trend of automatically associating science with liberal politics.  It's unfortunate and dangerous that "science" is becoming a political buzz word.  Good God.

That said, there is a "duh" factor to this narrative.  I hope this research can be used to help make the sport safer, not eventually kill it.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on September 28, 2017, 09:57:12 am
I don't think the sudden wave of information concerning head trauma and football is a "liberal agenda."  That idea reeks almost as badly as Rush claiming category four and five hurricanes are somehow part of a liberal agenda. 

I don't like this growing trend of automatically associating science with liberal politics.  It's unfortunate and dangerous that "science" is becoming a political buzz word.  Good God.

That said, there is a "duh" factor to this narrative.  I hope this research can be used to help make the sport safer, not eventually kill it.

my only question when it comes to head injuries is that most concussions are caused by the brain sloshing around inside the skull upon sudden stops, hard jarring or slamming into some object ( ground, knee, other helmet ). There is no way to stop that in a sport predicated on hard hits and taking the opponent to the ground.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 28, 2017, 08:35:19 am
To your last point I would wager boxing or MMA. Before you know it someone will start a class action lawsuit suing over long term injury for prolong MMA fighting lol. It's loony toon stuff man. I can't believe you of all people don't see the politics and $$$$ that is behind this "movement."

Just think, you or I could've started this campaign 4 or 5 years ago and with the right organization and skill set turned it into a multi million dollar "charity fund" or some crap like that. Just sit at the top and collect the $$$.

In the end it's just amazing to me that people are shocked that football and head trauma are correlated. That's a 'here's your sign' type of deal.

Are there a lot of high school MMA teams? 

I'm just waiting for someone to tie these concussions back to the Obama administration.  There's got to be a link there, surely....
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on September 28, 2017, 09:57:12 am

Science is for winners.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HighcountryHog

I'm gonna go with BASE jumping or wingsuit proximity flying.  Possibly cave diving behind those.
no bumps, no fat chicks

cc

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2017, 09:49:38 am
I agree there is a lot to learn from team sports. My older boy played football, basketball and ran track at various times through JR and HS. My younger one plays basketball and baseball.

I am still entertained though by those who seem to act as if football is THE ONLY team sport worth a darn, and THE ONLY WAY for kid to prove they are tough, etc. I've seen my kid catch 4 or 5 games in the middle of a hot July day, he is plenty tough. He does not have to go out and crack heads on the football field to prove anything. He also did not need football to teach him the value of teamwork, hard work, effort, etc.

And for those nervous nellies that think football is going to be taken away from them, don't worry, your gladiators will still be out there every Fri Sat and Sun from Sept through Jan to entertain and help you relive the time you scored 4 td's against podunk rural special to help your team to a glorious 1-9 record your sr season. 
[/quo
Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2017, 09:49:38 am

My glorious Sr season cost me my journey to the Air Force Academy after a total knee reconstruction.  I still remember practicing in the morning, scouting cotton all day then back to practice in the afternoon for about three weeks till school started from 10th-12th grade.  Only have a daughter that played a lot of softball but got burned out a couple of years ago.  We play league ball now because she doesn't want to play year around.  And it doesn't bother me a bit. 

I do have a nephew playing football for the Hogs and another being recruited by a couple of SEC Schools, LA Tech, LA Monroe, A State, etc.  Its scary watching them at times as big and as fast as some of these kids are.  Human body was not meant for such abuse.

hogsanity

Quote from: cc on September 28, 2017, 11:19:10 am

I do have a nephew playing football for the Hogs and another being recruited by a couple of SEC Schools, LA Tech, LA Monroe, A State, etc.  Its scary watching them at times as big and as fast as some of these kids are.  Human body was not meant for such abuse.

Every snap I am on the field for as an official reminds me how glad I am my kid is not playing football. But, if he had wanted to, I would have let him. My comments about football are made from a understanding that football is the most dangerous team sport, especially when talking about life altering injuries ( knees, head, neck ).

I still can not understand those who act like all the recent news about head injuries is some plot, some conspiracy to end football. That makes no sense at all. But these are the same people I hear yelling from the stands every week when some kid is lying on the field " git up yous aint hurt " or " get up and suck it up " or a dozen other similar comments. They'd be laughable if they were not so pathetic.

Hoggish1

I think it's a no-brainer that football before at least the 10th grade is very dangerous.  I didn't play tackle in my high school before 10th grade.  Back then (mid 60s) it was call jayvee football and we had about three or four games a year and this was in Miami, FL.  I don't know how long before there was a move to get kids into pads earlier and earlier, but whenever it started, in retrospect, it was a bad move.

For to long we have been pushing our kids to play tackle football at a very young age.  No it is confirmed that hitting at that early age is extremely bad. 

Let the kids play touch if they want to play football.  Flag football would be very good.  Don't take chances with the brain before 10th grade.

I'd like to see the sport of football survive!

Hoggish1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2017, 08:38:14 am

Nanny DR

Crap happens when people have crappy information.

Hoggish1

Quote from: George S. Pigton on September 28, 2017, 08:42:16 am

Correct.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 28, 2017, 08:55:41 am
Cue the usual suspect (s). 

Here's what I know.  Football is dangerous.  I played it for years and wish I could go back and play longer.  Nothing I have ever done gave me the sense of confidence, comaraderie and work ethic that football gave me.  Not baseball.  Not basketball. Not track.  Not golf.  Do I care whether people find football now to be a violent, dangerous and politically incorrect game?  No. Those people can steer their kids towards the other sports and the band and theater, etc.  Will they get the same experience I got from football?  Maybe. 

My daughter is a cheerleader.  She loves it.  She works hard at it.  It is tremenous exercise and requires hours of practice and teamwork.  Football is not an option for her.  I have seen more concussions, torn ligaments, broken arms, sprained ankles, and shinsplints in cheer than I have seen in football.  My son is in his 11th year of football.  My daughter is in her 10th year of cheerleading.

Tomorrow my son's team will play for first place in its region in the highest classification in the state. The 34 other seniors on his team are his best friends.  They have played with and against each other for 10 years.  The game will be televised live on local television.  There will be close to 10,000 people and two great marching bands in the stands.  My daughter will be on the sidelines cheering our packed student section on.  After the game, students, players coaches and parents will gather at each end of the field.  One side will shed a few tears, but everyone will have a memory they will carry with them for a lifetime.  The players will share stories about the game 50 years from now.

There is a letter from the Selective Service sitting on the kitchen counter at my house right now.  That time has come for my son.  Now I am scared, but it's his turn.

I don't disagree about anything you said, but it's about hitting at a young age.  High school (during my time it was 10-12, now it appears to be universally 9-12) is soon enough for helmets, pads, etc.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2017, 08:38:14 am

Nanny DR

Yea, when was the last time a college basketball or baseball player died directly from injuries on the field or court? The last time it happened to a college football player was lie 2 weeks ago to a player in Texas.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 28, 2017, 12:14:58 pm
I don't disagree about anything you said, but it's about hitting at a young age.  High school (during my time it was 10-12, now it appears to be universally 9-12) is soon enough for helmets, pads, etc.

But but but how will little Johnny be shown what being tough is if he can't play rinky dink league when he is 5?

Grag T

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Hoggish1

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 28, 2017, 09:49:05 am

I completely disagree that kids can't learn much about football until they are in the eight or ninth grade.  Tackling skills, in particular, can be taught at the earliest age. Proper form, i.e., athletic position, eyes up, footwork, proper use of the sideline as an extra defender, etc., can not only be taught at an early age, teaching it correctly (in accordance with the diagrams posted in every NFL locker room) would substantially reduce injuries.

Helmets are not made to be battering rams, they are made to protect the head.     

But why (see bold).  In doing so you have to run the risk of injuring the brain at an early age if you are in pads with a helmet.

In my era, before we were able to put the pads on for the first time (10th grade) we kids would have pickup games on the playground and play tackle football.  It was a perfect place to lean how to tackle with your shoulder and wrap up. 

I can assure you nobody tried to blow anybody up and nobody lead with their head in my days on the sandlot.  There were plenty of scrapes, bruises, bloody noses and the occasional broken bone but no concussions.

When the pads came on the same techniques were continued and taught, wrapping up, etc. 

I don't know exactly when the macho idea of blowing up your opponent or "making the SOB pay for coming into you territory" caught hold but the game has gotten away from the basic idea that the ball carrier needs to go down as soon as possible and not be blown to smithereens in order to get the job done.

twistitup

Quote from: HighcountryHog on September 28, 2017, 11:17:03 am
I'm gonna go with BASE jumping or wingsuit proximity flying.  Possibly cave diving behind those.

Free Diving has to rank near the top - according to MJ, the most dangerous

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/learning-to-freedive-the-worlds-most-dangerous-sport-20140711

Hiking at Devils Den should be considered very dangerous as well - they STILL haven't found that guy.....that's a risky hike!!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 28, 2017, 12:25:45 pm
But why (see bold).  In doing so you have to run the risk of injuring the brain at an early age if you are in pads with a helmet.

In my era, before we were able to put the pads on for the first time (10th grade) we kids would have pickup games on the playground and play tackle football.  It was a perfect place to lean how to tackle with your shoulder and wrap up. 

I can assure you nobody tried to blow anybody up and nobody lead with their head in my days on the sandlot.  There were plenty of scrapes, bruises, bloody noses and the occasional broken bone but no concussions.

When the pads came on the same techniques were continued and taught, wrapping up, etc. 

I don't know exactly when the macho idea of blowing up your opponent or "making the SOB pay for coming into you territory" caught hold but the game has gotten away from the basic idea that the ball carrier needs to go down as soon as possible and not be blown to smithereens in order to get the job done.

You must be older than I am.  I started playing youth football in Little Rock in 1970 at the age of 8.  My first coach was Billy Gray.  Our offense was based on Frank Broyles' belly series.  It wasn't much of a step from that to the wishbone a few years later.  The league was very well organized and populated.  High school football in Little Rock was better for it.  The same guys I played with in YMCA ball were the same guys playing for Hall, Central, Parkview and Catholic in the late 70s. Those teams controlled the state in those days along with Fort Smith Northside and Southside.

Why in the world you believe sandlot tackle football (a/k/a "kill the man") without pads is safer for pre-highschoolers is beyond me.  You assume kids have the sense to protect their heads.  You give them too much credit.  The only concussion I ever had was during a sandlot basketball game when I was tripped on a breakaway layup and the back of my head slammed into the asphalt court.  I threw up for a day.  It was bad. 

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2017, 09:53:08 am
problem is a vast majority of youth level coaches are just volunteers. Too many of which think they are Nick Saban. They do not know or care to tech proper fundamental, they are too busy drawing up plays and creating wrist bands with plays on it. All the while the kids do not even know how to line up properly, or get in a proper stance.

I've had the opposite experience.  The youth football league in middle Tennessee is a highly organized operation involving thousands of kids and parents.  The league my son grew up in conducts two weeks of instruction and evaluation for all players each season before a draft takes place.  Those two weeks are supervised by very competent former players and coaches.  Most are volunteers, but many played college football at the highest level.  Some played in the NFL.  I was fortunate to coach one year with a Titans' coach.  All coaches are required to go through training sessions conducted by local high school coaches.  Coaches must be approved by a Board made up of parents, and every coach is subject to having his credentials pulled for conduct or simply because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.  I saw more than one coach invited not to return for the latter reason.     

I was told by many parents that I would be disappointed by the quality of coaching at the middle school level when my son matriculated from youth football.  That was an understatement.  Middle school coaches in many cases are worse than volunteers - they are teachers paid a little bit extra to work longer hours than they want to work.  Practices are often disorganized and inefficient.  Even when they know what they're doing, there aren't enough coaches to control a group of 60 kids on a middle school team.  There were never more than 3 middle school coaches involved on my son's team.  At the youth level, there were 6 men coaching 25 kids.  Coaching is better at high school.  Many coaches played in college, but they are almost all full time teachers.  Private high schools have the best coaches, just like they have the best players, at least in areas where recruiting is a factor. 

Weight limits for skilled players have made the game a lot safer for kids than it was when I played.  Two stripes on a helmet mean a player has to start each play, on offense or defense, with his hand on the ground.  They can't advance the football.  If they recover a fumble or intercept a pass, the play is blown dead.  Players weigh in before every game. 

Proper, SAFE, tackling skills are being emphasized all over the country.  That is a good thing for the future safety of kids playing the game.   

woodhog14

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 28, 2017, 07:31:41 am
You know the sport with the most concussions?  Girls soccer.  Fact.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/new-study-shows-that-girls-soccer-has-higher-per-capita-rate-of-concussions-than-any-other-sport

But it's not PC or politically expedient to discuss that fact.

Exactly. Drives me crazy that this is not dicsussed.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 28, 2017, 01:24:01 pm
You must be older than I am.  I started playing youth football in Little Rock in 1970 at the age of 8.  My first coach was Billy Gray.  Our offense was based on Frank Broyles' belly series.  It wasn't much of a step from that to the wishbone a few years later.  The league was very well organized and populated.  High school football in Little Rock was better for it.  The same guys I played with in YMCA ball were the same guys playing for Hall, Central, Parkview and Catholic in the late 70s. Those teams controlled the state in those days along with Fort Smith Northside and Southside.

Why in the world you believe sandlot tackle football (a/k/a "kill the man") without pads is safer for pre-highschoolers is beyond me.  You assume kids have the sense to protect their heads.  You give them too much credit.  The only concussion I ever had was during a sandlot basketball game when I was tripped on a breakaway layup and the back of my head slammed into the asphalt court.  I threw up for a day.  It was bad. 

I've had the opposite experience.  The youth football league in middle Tennessee is a highly organized operation involving thousands of kids and parents.  The league my son grew up in conducts two weeks of instruction and evaluation for all players before a draft takes place.  Those two weeks are supervised by very competent former players and coaches.  Most are volunteers, but many played college football at the highest level.  Some played in the NFL.  I was fortunate to coach one year with a Titans' coach.  All coaches are required to go through training sessions conducted by local high school coaches.  Coaches must be approved by a Board made up of parents, and every coach is subject to having his credentials pulled for conduct or simply because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.  I saw more than one coach invited not to return for the latter reason.     

I was told by many parents that I would be disappointed by the quality of coaching at the middle school level when my son matriculated from youth football.  That was an understatement.  Middle school coaches in many cases are worse than volunteers - they are teachers paid a little bit extra to work longer hours than they want to work.  Practices are often disorganized and inefficient.  Even when they know what they're doing, there aren't enough coaches to control a group of 60 kids on a middle school team.  There were never more than 3 middle school coaches involved on my son's team.  At the youth level, there were 6 men coaching 25 kids.  Coaching is better at high school.  Many coaches played in college, but they are almost all full time teachers.  Private high schools have the best coaches, just like they have the best players, at least in areas where recruiting is a factor. 

Weight limits for skilled players have made the game a lot safer for kids than it was when I played.  Two stripes on a helmet mean a player has to start each play, on offense or defense, with his hand on the ground.  Players weigh in before every game. 

Proper, SAFE, tackling skills are being emphasized all over the country.  That is a good thing for the future safety of kids playing the game.   

Have no experience with middle TN youth league football, but if you tried to do those things with players like wiegh them, etc, here in Ar or OK you'd probably be physically beaten. I call in the youth leagues here and it is comical in many cases. Did 4th grade game a couple week ago, qb had a wrist band with at least 30 plays on it. After we called illegal formation 3 times the HC asked why, we told him he didn't have 7 on the line, I swear this is true, the guy did not even know that was a rule.