Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Pelphrey not have time to find a point...

Started by elksnort, January 11, 2008, 06:12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

guard last spring? I am not trying to be mean. I am just wondering. We bring in dirty Sanchez, Pasatsia, Rakestraw, Britt, .....

Is it that hard to find someone who can handle and distribute the ball? From HS or JC?

True freshmen contribute all over the country now days. Why and the heck do we not have an adequate PG?

johogs001

There weren't very many good point guard recruits left at the time.  And like 2 other coaches before Pelphrey (Heath and MSU's Stansbury), he was probably hoping Ervin would improve.

elksnort

Maybe Dave England could slip Ervin a "V" before he goes in the game.

pastorhog

welsh and britt are the ones he's counting on at the point for next season, he had no say over this year. I do wish he would use them more now.

Kevin

britt will not play point with the guards we got coming in.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Nashville Fan

Seems like big guys take longer to mature. Pel's big guys are graduating this year. He had to go big last year to give them at least one year of maturing. It might even be one year too late. You don't see many freshman 4s and 5s that are anything but liabilities.

1s and 2s can hit the ground running, so that is why he could put them off until this year.
Pittman or Bust!

Porkatarian

Quote from: pastorhog on January 11, 2008, 06:46:30 pm
welsh and britt are the ones he's counting on at the point for next season, he had no say over this year. I do wish he would use them more now.

I think that Britt and Welsh are very nice players, but I'd bet the house that Courtney Fortson is our starting PG next season.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Pignominious

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 11, 2008, 09:37:59 pm
I think that Britt and Welsh are very nice players, but I'd bet the house that Courtney Fortson is our starting PG next season.

Porkatarian out...

As would I.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Dr Swineglove

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

hogfan160

You also have to remember the public humiliation the program went through during the late recruiting season last year.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogfan160 on January 11, 2008, 11:53:06 pm
You also have to remember the public humiliation the program went through during the late recruiting season last year.

How is ole Dana Altman anyway?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 11, 2008, 09:37:59 pm

Porkatarian out...

Fortson and Clarke will be a deadly combo, and not Gary Ervin deadly either.

Modsquad24

I figure it will be Fortson, Beverley, Welsh starting in the backcourt in a 3 guard lineup with Britt, Joyner, Clarke and Rakestraw spelling them off the bench, then again Rotnei may start. ghg

jj202020

I HOPE they don't play like Ervin.  He's so out of control, that he hurts us more than he helps us.  If he ever learns to bridle that speed a little and stop dribbling into bad situations, he could play at the next level.

jchill

We bring in dirty Sanchez

Is this a typo? If not, why did you refer this young man as dirty?

hillhog

Quote from: jchill on January 12, 2008, 09:35:36 am
We bring in dirty Sanchez

Is this a typo? If not, why did you refer this young man as dirty?
Yeah, what gives???

TDHog

Quote from: hillhog on January 12, 2008, 10:06:53 am
Yeah, what gives???

It is a joke, a reference to something of an erotic nature (trying to keep it PG-13), I don't think he meant to insult the kid.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Modsquad24 on January 12, 2008, 08:39:42 am
I figure it will be Fortson, Beverley, Welsh starting in the backcourt in a 3 guard lineup with Britt, Joyner, Clarke and Rakestraw spelling them off the bench, then again Rotnei may start. ghg
the way i see it next year is like this:

PG - Fortson
SG - Beverley
SF - Payne
PF - Washington
C - Clark

razorzapp

Quote from: jj202020 on January 12, 2008, 09:35:27 am
I HOPE they don't play like Ervin.  He's so out of control, that he hurts us more than he helps us.  If he ever learns to bridle that speed a little and stop dribbling into bad situations, he could play at the next level.

play at the next level?  you are serious?  surely you mean at 'the next level' personally for him, which would be like D1.

razorzapp

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 12, 2008, 10:29:58 am
the way i see it next year is like this:

PG - Fortson
SG - Beverley
SF - Payne
PF - Washington
C - Clark

and i like that lineup, with still a lot of talent coming off the bench in welsh, rotnei, sanchez, et al.

mbgrulz

Quote from: razorzapp on January 12, 2008, 10:44:55 am
and i like that lineup, with still a lot of talent coming off the bench in welsh, rotnei, sanchez, et al.
who knows how pel will be thinking, but i think we will see that lineup more times than not. he could easily go guard heavy by moving payne and bev down a spot and putting welsh or clarke in.

it will be real interesting to me to see which underclassmen don't come back next year. there will HAVE to be a couple. maybe some could go as a walk-on.

booogaga

if he would have just taken the leftovers then we would be stuck in the same situation we are in now.
GO HOGS!

Razorod

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 12, 2008, 11:00:23 am
who knows how pel will be thinking, but i think we will see that lineup more times than not. he could easily go guard heavy by moving payne and bev down a spot and putting welsh or clarke in.

it will be real interesting to me to see which underclassmen don't come back next year. there will HAVE to be a couple. maybe some could go as a walk-on.
Key for next season is Washington and Beverly staying at least for the 08-09 seasons. Truthfully, Bev is a great college guard who really doesn't project up to the NBA very well. Washington projects better but really could use another year where he's the featured pf and he would also benefit from one more year of tutelage from Rob Evans.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

elksnort

Quote from: TDHog on January 12, 2008, 10:10:37 am
It is a joke, a reference to something of an erotic nature (trying to keep it PG-13), I don't think he meant to insult the kid.

Of course it was a subtle joke. Sorry folks did not get it. It has nothing to do with Michael Sanchez at all. It just a play on words. Actually Michael Sanchez' hairdo is fired up!

chillinhoggie

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 12, 2008, 01:21:26 am
Fortson and Clarke will be a deadly combo, and not Gary Ervin deadly either.
I've seen some vid of Fortson and he looks good... I've heard good things about Clarke but I haven't seen him play.. I look for Fortson to contribute early and all season long, also.

rosser33

dont throw britt into the fire yet...he's a bigger body gaurd and shows potential..maybe not next year as muchas his jr yr but i think britt will end up being a playmaker for the hogs

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 12, 2008, 11:00:23 am

Why would you think we'd lose some kids before next season?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

3pigsinafountain

Britt played mostly small forward at Forest City and probably projects as a 2 in our future.  For now he has earned his minutes for his defense.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Razorod on January 12, 2008, 11:29:37 am
Key for next season is Washington and Beverly staying at least for the 08-09 seasons. Truthfully, Bev is a great college guard who really doesn't project up to the NBA very well. Washington projects better but really could use another year where he's the featured pf and he would also benefit from one more year of tutelage from Rob Evans.
i agree that we'll need bev and washington to stick around for 1 more at least. i really have trouble believing that a 6-1 SG who averages 13 ppg. is all that appealing to nba scouts. he is so undersized that he'd have to be an absolute stud to get a look. as it is right now, he is simply a good spot up shooter and he plays with good intensity. washington is nowhere near being ready for the pros. i think it is safe to say that, barring one of them pulling an olu famutimi, they will be here next year.