Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

lucky punks

Started by returntoglory, January 11, 2008, 10:35:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

returntoglory

i think that we are lucky to get out of that game with a win. 41% from the line? thats horrendous.  you cannot win in the sec if you dont take advantage of the freebies. plus we had some bad turnovers and there were quite a few possessions where we shot the ball too quickly. i though our big men should have stepped up quite a bit. their talles guy was 6'7. we have got to do better in the future.

porkenstein

anytime a team wins a game there is some luck involved. all turnovers are bad. i'm a firm believer that if you are wide open in transition, you shoot the damn ball. especially if your name is Patrick or Sonny. PBev turns down too many open shots as it is. our big men played good considering they were getting double and triple teamed every time they touched the ball.

free throw shooting needs to improve, i'll give you that.

why the word "punks"?

returntoglory

steven hill is a walking turnover, dont get me wrong, i like his defensive effort, but he's just a liability on offense. i thought i was going to be wrong about it last year when he had those two or three 15 point games in a row, but he just doesnt have it. townes needs to get more than four points against a 6'7 guy. i will say our bigs did a good job of finding pb in the corner, sw on the wing, etc. i just saw so much that we can improve on.

'punk' is the word i use for everything.

jst01

Quote from: returntoglory on January 11, 2008, 11:40:43 am
steven hill is a walking turnover, dont get me wrong, i like his defensive effort, but he's just a liability on offense. i thought i was going to be wrong about it last year when he had those two or three 15 point games in a row, but he just doesnt have it. townes needs to get more than four points against a 6'7 guy. i will say our bigs did a good job of finding pb in the corner, sw on the wing, etc. i just saw so much that we can improve on.

'punk' is the word i use for everything.

I have noticed all year that whenever Hill gets trapped he will make the obvious pass and will turn it over.  Townes has an attitude problem. Last night when he was pulled from the game he would go straight to the bench and sit and stare with a look like "Im not doing anything extra out there".  He has always had this problem, wish he had the effort of Thomas or Washington. 

Prepare to notice more things we can improve on because we have NO point gaurd and its hard for our shooters and big's to get in any rythm when they cant have a consistent ball handler and passer. 

returntoglory

i agree. it is hard for rhythm to occur when there is nobody who can consistantly distribute the ball. ge has had some moments of brilliance, yet those moments are brief and rare. we do have brighter days ahead of us with fortson coming in, and hopefully our big guys next year will be able to run, bump and bruise, and take care of the ball.

spudhog

i think auburn was lucky to be in the game. some of those 3's they made were just pure luck.

hillhog

One of my big problems with this team as a whole is the lack of heart to rebound, on either end of the court. If our big men had the desire to get a rebound that PB has, I could overlook some of the other shortcommings. But rebounding is all about desire, and you can't coach desire. If you don't have it naturally,

returntoglory

i absolutely agree. there is no reason that a 7'0 center cant get 7+ boards a night. granted that auburn had a lot of long rebounds. that is still no excuse. blocking out has become a rare sight on the court for the hogs. we have got to put a body on somebody.

parrishw

Quote from: returntoglory on January 11, 2008, 03:19:46 pm
i absolutely agree. there is no reason that a 7'0 center cant get 7+ boards a night. granted that auburn had a lot of long rebounds. that is still no excuse. blocking out has become a rare sight on the court for the hogs. we have got to put a body on somebody.

I don't think Hill's numbers will improve unless they have He, Thomas and Townes or Washington in the game together with a focus on getting him the ball off of a triangle pass sequence.

They are doubling down on Thomas every time he gets the ball down low and we need somebody tall like Townes or Washington outside for him to dump the ball to and feed over everybody else's heads it down to the third big guy that came open off the double team. We do not move the ball that well with the pass.
From that double team we are two or three quick passes from an easy score but our boys like to put it on the floor and dribble past somebody.

The real weakness I see in our big men, all of them, is the do not move well together on the low blocks. With some good fundemental work they could be setting picks that could block the move to a double team. I do not see them making an effort to do that at all, They do not seem to have the mindset to help each other.

Too bad too cause if they would work well on the low blocks they would be positioned better for offensive rebounds by default.

Dropkick

Did we get beat last night? A win is a win, especially a road win. Those of you waiting for the perfect game to be played better have a ton of patience.

returntoglory

waiting for the perfect game? i think memphis fans and unc fans still wont see that. i am just saying that if we played this exact same game against anybody besides auburn, it would be a loss.

we have got to get better on the line, on the boards, and taking care of the ball if we want to beat vandy, olemiss, bama, etc.

dont get me wrong, i would rather have an ugly win than an ugly loss, but that doesnt mean i am satisfied with the way we played.

HawgWyld

Quote from: returntoglory on January 11, 2008, 04:34:25 pm
waiting for the perfect game? i think memphis fans and unc fans still wont see that. i am just saying that if we played this exact same game against anybody besides auburn, it would be a loss.

we have got to get better on the line, on the boards, and taking care of the ball if we want to beat vandy, olemiss, bama, etc.

dont get me wrong, i would rather have an ugly win than an ugly loss, but that doesnt mean i am satisfied with the way we played.

Fortunately, I doubt if John Pelphrey is too satisfied with last night's effort, either. I'm confident he'll keep pushing for improvement and will get it, and that's a huge difference from what we got used to in the Heath era.

OzarkHighs

Lucky? All I know is this team would of lost this game last year. What ever it is I'll take it because it was here last year.

pastorhog

whin,whin,whin we won the freakin game, ok! Now look to Sunday and hope they play better.