Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Pelphrey finding his groove?

Started by porkenstein, January 11, 2008, 09:35:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

porkenstein

The last couple of games he seems to have calmed down a little as if he's got this team dialed in. I think he's figuring out that this is a team that will make really bonehead mistakes but that these guys will absolutely run through a brick wall if he asks them to. I notice that when he's pulling people he's not jumping in the player's face as aggressively, instead, he's just reinforcing what they should already know. The intensity is still there, just not the emotion, you can tell he's holding it in. His substitutions have tightened up and the rotation seems to be working a little smoother. Also, the offense (despite the once every 3-5 minute mental breakdown) seems to be gelling in that the players aren't thinking as much; rather, letting the game come to them in the flow.

I was absolutely impressed with the way the destroyed Auburn's zone in the second half. The high post screen and the guard overload looked unstoppable. Beverly and Weems made Auburn's zone look silly and they were WIDE open. Another game like this and SEC teams will have to start playing a lot more man-to-man which will give Townes, Thomas, and Washington a lot more looks.

Defensively; however, the team looked sloppy last night with the exception of the stretch in first half when Pel went small with Washington running the 5 spot. Several times, Ervin was standing too tall and not in a good defensive stance which is unusual for him as he's been a pretty consistent on-ball defender. I thought Weems did pretty well on Auburn's best player and Beverly may have had his worst defensive night. Most surprisingly to me was that the paint was open most of the night and very slow rotation to stop penetration. Also, Pel and company need to address their pick-n-roll defense. Hedging with the big every time doesn't work if you let the dribbler consistently get his shoulder around and turn the corner. This forces the help to come and leaves a shooter wide open time after time. But, on the other hand, a good pick and roll offense is nearly unstoppable. Just watch the good NBA teams.

I'm pretty stoked to go to the game Sat. and watch the team build off of this HUGE road win.

hillhog

porkenstein

yeah, its Sunday. just was thinking Sat out of habit.

chiefsfan

I will agree on one point.  No matter how bad our defense was...That was the best we've played against a zone in a long time.   Beverly and Weems were making it look easy out there
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: porkenstein on January 11, 2008, 09:35:50 am
I notice that when he's pulling people he's not jumping in the player's face as aggressively, instead, he's just reinforcing what they should already know.

I said the same thing last night.  He doesn't have to yell at them as much anymore.  He's yelled so much all he has to do is give them a stare and they know how angry he is.  I thought this after a careless turnover by Weems.  He benched him and barely glared at him for a second, but ALOT was said.

cityhog

Quote from: porkenstein on January 11, 2008, 09:35:50 am
The last couple of games he seems to have calmed down a little as if he's got this team dialed in. I think he's figuring out that this is a team that will make really bonehead mistakes but that these guys will absolutely run through a brick wall if he asks them to. I notice that when he's pulling people he's not jumping in the player's face as aggressively, instead, he's just reinforcing what they should already know. The intensity is still there, just not the emotion, you can tell he's holding it in. His substitutions have tightened up and the rotation seems to be working a little smoother. Also, the offense (despite the once every 3-5 minute mental breakdown) seems to be gelling in that the players aren't thinking as much; rather, letting the game come to them in the flow.

I was absolutely impressed with the way the destroyed Auburn's zone in the second half. The high post screen and the guard overload looked unstoppable. Beverly and Weems made Auburn's zone look silly and they were WIDE open. Another game like this and SEC teams will have to start playing a lot more man-to-man which will give Townes, Thomas, and Washington a lot more looks.

Defensively; however, the team looked sloppy last night with the exception of the stretch in first half when Pel went small with Washington running the 5 spot. Several times, Ervin was standing too tall and not in a good defensive stance which is unusual for him as he's been a pretty consistent on-ball defender. I thought Weems did pretty well on Auburn's best player and Beverly may have had his worst defensive night. Most surprisingly to me was that the paint was open most of the night and very slow rotation to stop penetration. Also, Pel and company need to address their pick-n-roll defense. Hedging with the big every time doesn't work if you let the dribbler consistently get his shoulder around and turn the corner. This forces the help to come and leaves a shooter wide open time after time. But, on the other hand, a good pick and roll offense is nearly unstoppable. Just watch the good NBA teams.

I'm pretty stoked to go to the game Sat. and watch the team build off of this HUGE road win.

Dude will give himself an ulcer or a heart attack at that rate.

parrishw

+1

You are seeing the same things that I am.

If they take this over Bama at home they will exceed my expectations for the year already.  Bama is strong

hogturtle

January 11, 2008, 06:33:27 pm #7 Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:35:38 pm by hogturtle
When the guys start putting as much intensity into playing as Pelphrey puts into coaching, I figure he might be a bit more relaxed (but, I bet he won't be a lot more relaxed). The team has a lot of bad habits and years of half-hearted effort to unlearn. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I felt this good at this point in the season.