Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Pelphrey's Hustlin' Hogs Need to Slow Down

Started by Tomhog™, January 11, 2008, 09:23:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

An interesting sports editorial on Pelphrey and the Hogs.  He has a lot of good things to say.

John Pelphrey, hired last spring to boost Arkansas' basketball Razorbacks from mediocrity, inherited a very talented Razorback basketball team that had huge expectations.

Entering SEC play, all they have had is huge turnovers.

Pelphrey has put his foot on the gas and the Hogs are runnin' wild, pushing the ball up the court and hand it to the defense.

click here for more

Corkscrew Johnson

for the record, we are not playing "40 Minutes of Pel".  our defense is little more than a full court man-to-man.  i dont have a problem with that, but when we finally get the ball, we are rushing offensively like we are playing a full court, up-tempo style.  we are taking quick shots on offense, and then on defense allowing opponents to run their offensive sets. 

our defense really isn't creating turnovers and easy baskets for the offense like you would expect them to.  how many turnovers did auburn have last night?  i believe 11.  you would expect more of a team with only 7 scholarship players. 

porkenstein

hillhog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on January 11, 2008, 09:34:35 am
for the record, we are not playing "40 Minutes of Pel".  our defense is little more than a full court man-to-man.  i dont have a problem with that, but when we finally get the ball, we are rushing offensively like we are playing a full court, up-tempo style.  we are taking quick shots on offense, and then on defense allowing opponents to run their offensive sets. 

our defense really isn't creating turnovers and easy baskets for the offense like you would expect them to.  how many turnovers did auburn have last night?  i believe 11.  you would expect more of a team with only 7 scholarship players. 
It appeared theirs were better than ours, man for man.

MF

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 11, 2008, 09:40:23 am
Who is Michael Bolding ?

Some fan who wrote a few paragraphs about the Hogs.  Wouldn't be surprised if he was a poster here.

I don't think anything from The Bleacher Report should be viewed as an actual media report.  It is essentially an open source blogger page where anyone can write their opinion about a sports subject and have it "published" on the net.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: porkenstein on January 11, 2008, 09:38:57 am
that article is terrible.

Seriously, "We should slow it down." Why don't we just rehire Heath and oh yeah tell those teenagers to get off my lawn. This guy's pointing out the obvious but not with much insight. Bringing up Nolan really doesn't have anything to do with anything and is better suited for a book than a paragraph.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

johogs001

Quote from: hillhog on January 11, 2008, 11:50:10 am
It appeared theirs were better than ours, man for man.

Not the case.  We should have/could have beat them by 15 last night.  We shot under 50% on free throws and the refs weren't letting the game get out of Auburn's reach.  None of Auburn's players (playing last night) have more talent than our first 7 players.

Beaverfever

Who the hell wrote that crap?  It is terrible on all fronts.  He says our starting lineup can match up with anybody??? What team has he been watching.  I don't even know if our starters are as good as our backups.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on January 11, 2008, 09:34:35 am

I agree I think.  I don't really understand the point of the full court man to man stuff with just a little press.  It doesn't seem to cause many turnovers and we seem to give up alot of extra points because of it.  I suppose next year when we are stacked at guard it might work better.

spudhog

i like it when we push it on offense. but, like last night, their lineup was not condusive for us to press. we were too big to be pressing such a small team. i like us running at a decent pace. maybe not like a carolina or duke but definitely faster than stan ball. i do believe our halfcourt offense has gotten a lot better.

CurlyTail

chiefsfan

Maybe the guy hasnt looked at our turnover numbers of late

Take out the games in Puerto Rico and we are averaging about 12 a game.   We just had 12 yesterday.   Thats really good considering how we like to play

Id expect us to press more against Bama.   Hendrix and Gee are big players and we will need to keep them from getting easy drives to the basket
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

So if i understand this correctly, this guy is saying to slow down the pace of the game.
I believe every Arkansan was yelling at their tv set to speed the game up last year.
Some people need to make up their mind.
Personally I love the style of play Pelpherey ( i think its close to spell it) brings to the table
ched come back pls