Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Mike Anderson at end of season (got another year to wait)

Started by Mr. Porkleone, January 17, 2018, 08:03:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Hogz87 on January 20, 2018, 01:19:19 pm
By year seven, at a program with our potential, you expect to be an essential lock for the NCAA tournament every year.  I understand the occasional outlier season where things like injuries and locker room turmoil derail a season, but right now we're looking at 7-years of Mike Anderson as our head coach and a whopping TWO NCAA tournament appearances.  Arkansas basketball should be in the NCAA tournament more than once every 3-4 years.

I don't have delusions of grandeur.  I don't expect Nolan Richardson levels of sustained success.  However, I do expect that by year seven of a coach's tenure, we shouldn't still be trying to make the NCAA tournament two years in a row for the first time.

I agree. Having said that we should have got a bid during that 22 win season. We SHOULD be 3 of 6 on bids. Having said that it looks like we will get one this year. Based on our RPI. Which would mean twice in the last 3 years or so ? Thats improvement.

hogfan10

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 20, 2018, 12:51:54 pm
Sutton coached in a different time. All of this AAU crap wasn't the problem it is today. Sure Eddie is a HOF coach. But Mike is far from chopped liver. Has he made a final four ? Not yet. Does that mean he wont ? Well maybe if he gets a bracket where he doesnt have to go through UNC in the second round. There is something to be said for getting the right matchups in that thing.
An argument can be made that recruiting was more difficult b/4 there was one stop shopping (AAU).

ishankem

Anyone happy with 2 ncaat appearances in 7 years is the definition of a LOSER!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ishankem on January 20, 2018, 05:37:32 pm

Ok.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Razorback_Mack

Another idiot counting this year against him before it's over.

Mr. Porkleone

Tad bit harsh calling someone a Loser. If he fails to get to NCAA this year, he should kindly be shown the door. 2/7 is not acceptable.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 20, 2018, 06:33:17 pm
Tad bit harsh calling someone a Loser. If he fails to get to NCAA this year, he should kindly be shown the door. 2/7 is not acceptable.

3 of 4 is very good. Arkansas will be dancing.... Keep Watching

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 20, 2018, 07:00:23 pm
3 of 4 is very good. Arkansas will be dancing.... Keep Watching

Dancing where? The CBI?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Augustus

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 17, 2018, 08:58:19 pm
reluctantly, i concede. he looks washed up, complacent. his teams are predicatable and he doesn't recruit. He's similar to houston nutt in that he can ocassionally get his teams up for big games, but more often than not he gets spanked by better coaches with better coached players.

He doesn't recruit?

The 2018 class is ranked 24th in the Nation, is it not?

He recruited the top 1, 2, & 3 players from the state of Arkansas (something that I've always been told is important... "building a fence around the State"? ? ?)

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

20gauge

Yeah it's a decent class. However the ranking is partially due to the number of recruits in the class 6. Not necessarily due to total quality of the players. I'm sure they are decent players. Just doesn't look like there is a program changer in there but a few solid 4 year guys.

Going on 7 years MA has landed 2 stars and had another develop in to one. Those players would be Portis and Qualls. Gafford if he continues to improve would be the third.

Qui Gon Jinn

I think he has hit his ceiling.  He may have a winning conf. schedule.  He may make it to the NCAA Tourney.  He will not make it past 1 or 2 games.  He will get out coached before he can get far in the tournament.  He will not win the NIT either.  The fastest 40 minutes is not very fast and not very fundamentally sound under his watch.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ChicoHog

January 20, 2018, 10:05:37 pm #111 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:16:31 pm by ChicoHog
Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:23:20 am
Senile it is then. The Bud has been selling out. Basketball in the old SWC days is nowhere near the same. Use your eyes. Sutton lost in the first round plenty. And not against teams like UNC in the second. I remember getting beat by Iowa in the first. And needing a prayer by Reid to get past Louisville only to get beat in the next round. Did Sutton ever win a championship ?

Nope. Stuff it.
Sutton could coach 5 guys from intramurals to a better result than Anderson and his team the last 7 years!  Yes, that's an exaggeration but you get my point.  Anderson always has been and always will be mediocre.  Good guy but mediocre coach. 

The tournament can be a crap shoot.  Good programs sometimes get beat in the first or second round.  But they get there every year which gives them a chance and good programs get high seeds(top 16-which is top 4 in each region).  There is no reason we should not make the tournament yearly or at minimum 3 of every 4 years.  How far we advance is sometimes just luck.  We definitely should be top 4 in the SEC regular season most of the the time.  We should not have melt downs and lose by 30 points at Houston, almost 20 at home to LSU, etc.,  Those type of games did not happen under Sutton and I don't think NR until the last couple of years when he pretty much mailed it in.  Anderson is so inconsistent during the season and we see it every year so he is consistently inconsistent! 

Razorback_Mack

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Augustus on January 20, 2018, 07:26:17 pm
He doesn't recruit?

The 2018 class is ranked 24th in the Nation, is it not?

He recruited the top 1, 2, & 3 players from the state of Arkansas (something that I've always been told is important... "building a fence around the State"? ? ?)

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

Ya, MA recruits. Just not very well. Without Perry that 2018 class isn't very impressive.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 20, 2018, 10:05:37 pmThere is no reason we should not make the tournament yearly or at minimum 3 of every 4 years.

So after fixing a terrible program he is now about to go to his 3rd NCAA tournament in 4 years if he makes the tournament this year.   So is it just because you don't like him? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pork Twain

January 21, 2018, 12:39:11 am #115 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:56:23 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 20, 2018, 08:58:25 am
so, 23 years since you graduated, how many respectable teams have the Hogs had in those 23 years?.. by your definition...
Not very many and that is the point.  Obviously after 7 years Mike is not getting it done.  I did see it happen for a couple of decades under Sutton and Nolan.  Stan Heath made it twice in five years and Pelphrey once in five.  Not impressed with Mike

15-6 (4-4)

Away Georgia Arkansas -  L
Home Arkansas Oklahoma State -  W
Away Texas AM Arkansas -  L
Away LSU Arkansas -  L
Away South Carolina -  W
Home Arkansas Vanderbilt -  W
Away  Ole Miss Arkansas -  L
Home Arkansas Texas AM -  L
Home Arkansas Kentucky -  L
Away Alabama Arkansas -  L
Home Arkansas Auburn -  W
Away Missouri Arkansas -  W
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Slater

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 20, 2018, 11:18:41 pm
So after fixing a terrible program he is now about to go to his 3rd NCAA tournament in 4 years if he makes the tournament this year.   So is it just because you don't like him?

The Anderson haters dislike Mike for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Pork Twain

January 21, 2018, 06:09:40 am #117 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:00:33 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Slater on January 21, 2018, 01:23:17 am
The Anderson haters dislike Mike for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball
Very few actually hate him but this is completely false.  I have nothing against Mike, but I expect more from our basketball team.  I have seen the greatness that can be and lets not give Mike NCAA berth #3 until the games are played.

The sauce on here defending Mike is weak, very weak.  Pulling the race card when you have nothing else and no basis, is pathetic.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

southeasthog

Quote from: Slater on January 21, 2018, 01:23:17 am

Quote from: Slater on March 02, 2013, 05:30:05 pm
When a white coach employs this system (Tubbs, Westhead, Pitino) it is called uptempo
When a black coach runs this system it is called streetball
Sadly some attitudes do not change
As someone who actually has coached, it is much more difficult to run a full court, relentless style than a walk it up, set plays halfcourt boring system

You been playing the race card for a while now. Mike's biggest supporters have reasons other than basketball for their unwavering defense of him.

Mjs84

January 21, 2018, 08:46:03 am #119 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:59:58 am by Mjs84
Ya hog fans, don't be so unrealistic to assume that we are a top 62 team in the NCAA just because we are Arkansas!  Remember Michael Quals?  Huh?  Remember that time 4 years ago when we beat Kentucky at home?  Kentucky guys!  That's better than winning a National Championship! You think any team out there can just beat teams in the SEC every year?  The SEC guys!  The best conference in basketball!  That's just untealistic!  Come on guys!  Just because your mad doesn't mean we should be able to qualify for the tournament every year. If our coach was Jimmy Dykes, we wouldn't even be having this conversation! I mean, who do you think you are?  Kansas state?

hobhog

Quote from: southeasthog on January 21, 2018, 06:40:24 am
You been playing the race card for a while now. Mike's biggest supporters have reasons other than basketball for their unwavering defense of him.

raz1965

Negative fans has conceded this as a losing season which is not even at mid point of conference play. If the Razorbacks make the ncaa tourney this year, with Mike's spike in recruiting better players then his job should be safe. It would be insane to let a coach go  that is gaining momentum on the recruiting trail an would have made the Ncaa tourney 3 out of 4  years. Tear down the blocks an rebuild again, sounds like children to me.

Svrdhd

Portis' comments about what he is learning as a pro vs his time in college was shocking. There may be a simple reason that we frequently look uncoached.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 21, 2018, 08:46:03 am
Ya hog fans, don't be so unrealistic to assume that we are a top 62 team in the NCAA just because we are Arkansas!  Remember Michael Quals?  Huh?  Remember that time 4 years ago when we beat Kentucky at home?  Kentucky guys!  That's better than winning a National Championship! You think any team out there can just beat teams in the SEC every year?  The SEC guys!  The best conference in basketball!  That's just untealistic!  Come on guys!  Just because your mad doesn't mean we should be able to qualify for the tournament every year. If our coach was Jimmy Dykes, we wouldn't even be having this conversation! I mean, who do you think you are?  Kansas state?

The new normal ladies and gentlemen. Just shut up and be happy with mediocrity. And hey we might be KY once every four years.

Letsroll1200

Just beat Georgia. Arkansas will be a tournament team.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 21, 2018, 06:09:40 am
Very few actually hate him but this is completely false.  I have nothing against Mike, but I expect more from our basketball team.  I have seen the greatness that can be and lets not give Mike NCAA berth #3 until the games are played.

That graphic you posted show just how great Nolan really was. As head coach he:

Won a National Championship (only one in UA history)
Appeared in TWO title games  (only ones in UA history)
Owns half of our Final Four appearances in UA history
Owns four out of 10 Elite Eight appearances in UA history
Owns over half of Sweet Sixteen appearances in UA history
Owns over a third of total NCAA appearances in UA history

Why the court is not named after him is a wrong yet to be rectified. Give the man his flowers while he lives. He sure gave us plenty.

Hogs up! Covid down!

hobhog

Quote from: raz1965 on January 21, 2018, 09:55:57 am
Negative fans has conceded this as a losing season which is not even at mid point of conference play. If the Razorbacks make the ncaa tourney this year, with Mike's spike in recruiting better players then his job should be safe. It would be insane to let a coach go  that is gaining momentum on the recruiting trail an would have made the Ncaa tourney 3 out of 4  years. Tear down the blocks an rebuild again, sounds like children to me.

Agreed. But if we don't make it it will mean 2 appearances in 7 years. We'd have never hired him if known that. We shall see.

Mike Irwin

Regardless of how some of you feel it's a bit of a stretch to believe that Arkansas would fire its AD, head football coach and head basketball coach in the same academic year. 

swineology

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 21, 2018, 01:40:02 pm
Regardless of how some of you feel it's a bit of a stretch to believe that Arkansas would fire its AD, head football coach and head basketball coach in the same academic year.

I thought it was a stretch to fire the AD and HC .  Not saying they'll pull the plug on Mike, but unless he gets this team back on track his seat grows hotter.

AirWarren

bkjbearcat

Then stretch.

Mike Irwin

Atlhogfan1

He is going to win enough to make NCAAT.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogfan10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 21, 2018, 12:59:26 pm

Why the court is not named after him is a wrong yet to be rectified. Give the man his flowers while he lives. He sure gave us plenty.

[/quote

He also gave us our first frivolous lawsuit. You don't get a court named after you after that.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: AP85 on January 21, 2018, 02:43:09 pm
13-6.

Fire. Fire. Fire.

There is something seriously wrong with some of our fans. Most wins in 20 years. Steady improvement right up until that one bad year. And since its done nothing but once again improve. Did we hit a little skid at teh start of conference play ? Sure. But firing the guy ?

Geez let the season play out. Some of these guys act like Coach K would crawl to Arkansas. I seriously doubt it. I doubt Beard would come here too. That is not to disparage the job. But the throw money at everything crowd has to be the dumbest group ever.

Lets fire the best coach we've had in 20 years mid-season with a top 25 RPI and a tournament bid on the horizon. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Paul

Quote from: Svrdhd on January 21, 2018, 10:16:08 am
Portis' comments about what he is learning as a pro vs his time in college was shocking. There may be a simple reason that we frequently look uncoached.
Also I remember a pro scout said Portis had the worst fundamentals of any high draft pick he'd ever seen.

bvillepig

Here is one issue. It takes a Hall of Fame type coach to reach the type of greatness some Arkansas fans want. Until one appears I am fine with what Mike Anderson has done at Arkansas. I wish he had the charisma of Nolan but he doesn't. He has taken a dumpster fire program back to being some what relevant.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 21, 2018, 06:29:20 pm
There is something seriously wrong with some of our fans. Most wins in 20 years. Steady improvement right up until that one bad year. And since its done nothing but once again improve. Did we hit a little skid at teh start of conference play ? Sure. But firing the guy ?

Geez let the season play out. Some of these guys act like Coach K would crawl to Arkansas. I seriously doubt it. I doubt Beard would come here too. That is not to disparage the job. But the throw money at everything crowd has to be the dumbest group ever.

Lets fire the best coach we've had in 20 years mid-season with a top 25 RPI and a tournament bid on the horizon. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

The new normal ladies and gentlemen. No matter how many resources and money the university puts in men's basketball just shut up and expect mediocrity. And hopefully we'll get to a Sweet 16 sometime this century.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: bvillepig on January 21, 2018, 08:05:02 pm
Here is one issue. It takes a Hall of Fame type coach to reach the type of greatness some Arkansas fans want. Until one appears I am fine with what Mike Anderson has done at Arkansas. I wish he had the charisma of Nolan but he doesn't. He has taken a dumpster fire program back to being some what relevant.

Sutton and Richardson became recognized as Hall of Fame type coaches at Arkansas.  Before that they were great coaches that not a lot of people knew.  We don't have to hire a big name coach.  Like any other program we do have to hire a top coach in order to excel.  We used to expect to excel.  That's what changed with John White and Jeff Long.  The firing of Long and Bielema hopefully means a renewed commitment to excellence.  How serious that commitment is will be revealed at the end of this basketball season.

hamARchy in the USA

At the same time it's hard to believe they didn't determine up front what it would take to right the ship and plan accordingly.

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 21, 2018, 12:59:26 pm

This I agree with.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgsPolo

Quote from: Svrdhd on January 21, 2018, 10:16:08 am

Lol funny. MA's job duties do not include teaching the NBA game. You are sadly misguided because every college player that goes to the NBA makes a huge transition and there is a steep learning curve regardless of where you played college ball.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

southeasthog

The thread title clearly states "AT END OF SEASON". That's why no one takes your ramblings seriously.

26.2Hog

The season is going to play out, and no one is getting fired mid-season.

And the Hogs RPI is not in the top 25.

raz1965

Mike has 2 years remaining on his contract , with the buyout burden in place with the former A.D and football coach , an the fact that the basketball team is not a failure.. I highly doubt Mike will be let go. This thread is just a place to blow off steam. Go hogs, get er done.

hogsanity

Quote from: raz1965 on January 22, 2018, 11:55:44 am
Mike has 2 years remaining on his contract , with the buyout burden in place with the former A.D and football coach , an the fact that the basketball team is not a failure.. I highly doubt Mike will be let go. This thread is just a place to blow off steam. Go hogs, get er done.

Here is the thing about that though, he is going to want an extension, so they buyout is never going to go away. If they extend another year that will have a buyout involved, as will an additional year after that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 12:15:48 pm
Here is the thing about that though, he is going to want an extension, so they buyout is never going to go away. If they extend another year that will have a buyout involved, as will an additional year after that.

I wouldn't even consider an extension until there are results that warrant it.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

3of5-2

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 22, 2018, 01:57:47 pm

Genius! That's not sarcasm.

hogsanity

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 22, 2018, 01:57:47 pm

But that is not how it works in college coaching, unfortunately. Every year a coach wants an extension, because it extends his buyout as well. If a coach goes to the end of his contract, he gets nothing extra if they just do not offer him a new deal, coach has no leverage at all during the last year of his contract. 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 02:15:16 pm
But that is not how it works in college coaching, unfortunately. Every year a coach wants an extension, because it extends his buyout as well. If a coach goes to the end of his contract, he gets nothing extra if they just do not offer him a new deal, coach has no leverage at all during the last year of his contract. 

A coach who hasn't earned leverage shouldn't have any.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker