Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Mike Anderson at end of season (got another year to wait)

Started by Mr. Porkleone, January 17, 2018, 08:03:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

hawgball40

reluctantly, i concede. he looks washed up, complacent. his teams are predicatable and he doesn't recruit. He's similar to houston nutt in that he can ocassionally get his teams up for big games, but more often than not he gets spanked by better coaches with better coached players.

Breems

Is anyone else confused on whether Mr. Porkleone wants Mike Anderson fired?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on January 17, 2018, 09:03:59 pm
It's a trap, Breems!

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Breems on January 17, 2018, 09:03:59 pm

Good one breems.  Where do I send the beer?

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

HiggiePiggy

Hmm. Has 1 season where he had a losing season in conference(his first year) has been to the NCAA tournament 2 of his last 3 years.  I'll wait until the end of the season before saying he should be fired. 

I will say it's much better than the 9 years before him where we only had 2 seasons where we had a winning record in conference. 

If he makes it to the NCAA tournament again then I'm going to say keep him.  If not then sure fire him.

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 17, 2018, 09:14:23 pm
Hmm. Has 1 season where he had a losing season in conference(his first year) has been to the NCAA tournament 2 of his last 3 years.  I'll wait until the end of the season before saying he should be fired. 

I will say it's much better than the 9 years before him where we only had 2 seasons where we had a winning record in conference. 

If he makes it to the NCAA tournament again then I'm going to say keep him.  If not then sure fire him.

Thanks Rick Schaeffer

hawgball40

Well if you gonna do Rick Shaeffer, atleast throw in Bo Mattingly too:

"Well, I just don't think you can fire a coach in the middle of the season. I mean i may be wrong on that, but I don't think you do."

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 17, 2018, 09:19:53 pm
Well if you gonna do Rick Shaeffer, atleast throw in Bo Mattingly too:

"Well, I just don't think you can fire a coach in the middle of the season. I mean i may be wrong on that, but I don't think you do."

Bo has become bad as Rick.

HogBreath

Just to make sure you understand...no one is advocating for going back to the days of Heath or Pelphrey. 
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

swineology

Another 7 years and Mike will right the ship

LZH

FineAsSwine

Yeah, NCAA 3 out of last 4 years is good for a program that just recently came back from the dead in the last 4 years.
Hogs up! Covid down!

popcornhog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 17, 2018, 08:03:45 pm
7 years is enough

If this downward slide continues, I'll start to agree.

This season is still far from over. We're a 7 seed as of today. If we get on a nice roll, that could improve. If the slide continues, we could find our way out of the tourney. I'll reserve judgment until then.
WPS

razorpimp

I hope everyone realizes that Mediocre Mike will be here next year no matter what, he could lose every remaining game this year and he will definitely be back....

If that happened He would be gone after next season because next year we will more than likely be really bad!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 17, 2018, 08:58:19 pm
reluctantly, i concede. he looks washed up, complacent. his teams are predicatable and he doesn't recruit. He's similar to houston nutt in that he can ocassionally get his teams up for big games, but more often than not he gets spanked by better coaches with better coached players.
His recruiting is trending up but Mike gets outcoached way too much.  The Basketball Palace of the Mid-South deserves better.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Rbill

I'm still a Mike fan who is naive enough to hope that he adapts and fixes the issues and is forced to higher new assistants and delegate his weak areas to them. I still want that before firing him.

razorpimp

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 17, 2018, 09:40:28 pm
His recruiting is trending up but Mike gets outcoached way too much.  The Basketball Palace of the Mid-South deserves better.

Yes trending up from disaster, when #27 is your best class ever in 6 years that's not saying much at all, and we are only 27 because there are 6 players signed

Paul

Quote from: Rbill on January 17, 2018, 09:41:12 pm
I'm still a Mike fan who is naive enough to hope that he adapts and fixes the issues and is forced to higher new assistants and delegate his weak areas to them. I still want that before firing him.
It would be like asking a tiger to change his stripes

Paul

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 17, 2018, 09:40:28 pm
the players deserve better

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Paul on January 17, 2018, 10:08:58 pm
the players deserve better
The players are getting a debt free diploma.  They'll be fine.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

b-ball coach

The tough part is the pre season was so successful and Gafford has so much potential. We are looking 6-12 or 7-11 in the SEC in the face. It is an uphill battle, we should be 4-2 and are going to lose several of the next 6. I don't see us turning it around. Where will that record leave Mike at the end of the year?

alohawg

You really wanna fire a coach in yr. 7 who is on the verge of taking a senior laden team to the nit?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

majp51

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 17, 2018, 08:03:45 pm
7 years is enough

There is a better chance for an active volcano to erupt in Fayetteville the next week than for that.

hobhog

My son is senior up there and avid Hog..........he's ready to move on.

hobhog

Quote from: majp51 on January 17, 2018, 10:38:09 pm
There is a better chance for an active volcano to erupt in Fayetteville the next week than for that.

Rumblings in the Ozarks....

hog golf

Quote from: alohawg on January 17, 2018, 10:37:06 pm
You really wanna fire a coach in yr. 7 who is on the verge of taking a senior laden team to the nit?
I'm already planning my Selection Monday party!
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 17, 2018, 09:20:58 pm
Bo has become bad as Rick.

Bo is a Gator fan. He approves of Mike as Razorback coach in perpetuity.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

southeasthog

Hmm..... Ranked a grand total of 2 weeks out of approximately 130 weeks or so of top 25 polls in 7 years.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: southeasthog on January 18, 2018, 08:16:59 am
Ranked a grand total of 2 weeks out of approximately 130 weeks or so of top 25 polls in 7 years.
Tells the tale of our sad Fastest 40 chase for nostalgia.

The NewEra

I believe in equality.  Hold MA to the same standards we would any other coach on campus.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Nickle-Pig

This approach is sure to help the team.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hobhog

Quote from: southeasthog on January 18, 2018, 08:16:59 am
Hmm..... Ranked a grand total of 2 weeks out of approximately 130 weeks or so of top 25 polls in 7 years.

That's the sad thing. We are completely irrelevant nationally. Need to shake things up. New AD has work to do.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: alohawg on January 17, 2018, 10:37:06 pm

If we go to the nit then yes fire him. If he makes it to the NCAA tournament then he won't be fired and shouldn't.

We just have a lot of babies on this site that really dislike Anderson and want him fired every year after every game and it's been going on since year 1. Yes he has some real crappy games and it is old seeing us be up and down.

To me it's about making the tournament so if he does that then it means we have a chance to win it all.  Will we win it all probably not, but the goal is being a yearly team in the NCAA tournament. Then it's contending and getting deep into the tournament.

The guy has been here now 7 years. Yes it sucks we only have 2 appearances, but the program is in a far better position now to possibly take the next step to being that yearly team and more. Considering we were a terrible program for about a decade before he showed up.

I don't think he has peaked out here yet. We will see by the end of the year if he has. Last year could have been his peak. If he doesn't make the tournament with the team we have then yeah it is time to look for a new coach.

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Dominicanhog

Did you regurgitate this thread from last year, or maybe the year before?

hobhog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 18, 2018, 06:22:53 pm
Did you regurgitate this thread from last year, or maybe the year before?

MA makes me throw up every year.....

ChicoHog

Quote from: The NewEra on January 18, 2018, 08:25:31 am
I believe in equality.  Hold MA to the same standards we would any other coach on campus.
I wish.  too many GOBN guys holding on to the past. 

it seems many fans don't understand how we could looks so good early in the season and now are mediocre.  I think much of it has to do with our opponent scouting us and knowing how to defend against us.  We never adjust because Anderson either doesn't know how or doesn't want to. 

Knot2brite

The GOBN isn't holding on to nostalgia...they are trying their best to avoid another lawsuit situation...the last one almost did some of them in behind the scenes. Also Irwin said it best in another thread...they have fired the AD and the head football coach and they can't afford any more buyouts....someone has to fall on the sword until we can get all those payments taken care of and the courtnof public opinion demanded football and the AD be the beginning point of the overhaul of Arkansas Hog athletics ...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Sivad

Quote from: The NewEra on January 18, 2018, 08:25:31 am
Hold MA to the same standards we would any other coach on campus.
No chance.

Pork Twain

Does NOT take 7 years to turn around a basketball program.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 17, 2018, 08:58:19 pm

Yeah thats a really good comparison. I couldn't stand Houston. But other than  Have we done as well since ? This is Arkansas. And here we are NEVER going to hire the kind of coach who does what it takes to get it done. BC that kind isn't the type of choir boy the unwashed masses here insist upon.

Firing Mike would set this program back big time. Unless you get a Beard. Even then I'm not convinced we would be any better overall.

Kevin

to all the Anderson loyalist, I have a question

if frank haith or john Thompson III was the coach at Arkansas and had these results in 6 1/2 years, would you feel they same way as you do now?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LZH

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 07:12:29 am

if frank haith or john Thompson III was the coach at Arkansas and had these results in 6 1/2 years, would you feel they same way as you do now?

Boom!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tncbg on January 18, 2018, 09:00:53 pm
The UA fired the A.D. and head football coach in the last few months. The expense of firing and hiring plus the ill conceived stadium addition have tied up a lot of cash. There is no support for any more firing any time soon.

Stadium expansion not ill conceived. 

Well you know the answer is no.  No Arkansas coach would still have the support. 

JTIII in his first 7 seasons at GT:  5 NCAA trips with a Final 4, Sw 16 and 2nd R appearance + 2 NITs.  Esherick had won 19 and 13 games in the 2 seasons before he took over.  Went to 3 more NCAATs and an NIT and then fired for missing the postseason in seasons 12 and 13.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ParkerSchnabel

Yes. The program is doing well. The Bud is packed. Our RPI has been top ten. This conference is messed up. And it usually takes times for us to adjust to the crappy officiating and the physical play in the paint. If we make the tournament then everyone should just shut up !!

Mike is a good coach. Sad to have such fair weather fans. This whole rebuild taking 7 years is crap. Eddie Sutton in his youth would have done no better the last 7 years. The SEC is tough and getting better. Some of you are just malcontents.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 19, 2018, 06:06:48 am
Does NOT take 7 years to turn around a basketball program.

It hasn't !! You are ignoring every bit of success we have had in the last 7 years. MQ,Portis, NCAA tournament appearances. Some of you act like we haven't played a single post season game. What the heck is your definition of rebuild ? The final four every year ?

The problem here is fans with unrealistic expectations.

Kevin

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:03:52 am
It hasn't !! You are ignoring every bit of success we have had in the last 7 years. MQ,Portis, NCAA tournament appearances. Some of you act like we haven't played a single post season game. What the heck is your definition of rebuild ? The final four every year ?

The problem here is fans with unrealistic expectations.

problem is some fans are trying to pawn off a new normal on some fans.

this program should be top 3 in sec every year, and no lower than a 6th seed in the ncaa tournament.

that is not unrealistic
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22