Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The GSD

Started by Karma, November 16, 2017, 08:19:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

buldozer

The NWA wine and cheese crowd thinks if they boycott LR games and don't sell their tickets they would be able to end LR games so they never have to travel 2 hrs to a future razorback game. Also, only scheduling cupcake games in LR to drive attendance down. No consideration at all from the NWA wine and cheese crowd for those that live 8 hrs from RRS in South AR. But many of the major donors realize the State's flagship University is basically located in OK or MO, not AR and that playing in LR will continue to connect the entire state to the Razorback program....

NWA is out of touch with most of the state of AR. Just like those from NWA coming to LR to a meeting without a tie. What seems normal in NWA is out of touch with the rest of the state.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: buldozer on November 16, 2017, 12:17:59 pm
The NWA wine and cheese crowd thinks if they boycott LR games and don't sell their tickets they would be able to end LR games so they never have to travel 2 hrs to a future razorback game. Also, only scheduling cupcake games in LR to drive attendance down. No consideration at all from the NWA wine and cheese crowd for those that live 8 hrs from RRS in South AR. But many of the major donors realize the State's flagship University is basically located in OK or MO, not AR and that playing in LR will continue to connect the entire state to the Razorback program....

NWA is out of touch with most of the state of AR. Just like those from NWA coming to LR to a meeting without a tie. What seems normal in NWA is out of touch with the rest of the state.

Example of why we cannot have a reasonable discussion about WMS. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2017, 12:21:47 pm
Example of why we cannot have a reasonable discussion about WMS. 

Yep. People are so envious of what NWA has become they can not see past their own green eyed monster.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cotton

There ain't a drive over 5 hours to RRS in this great state.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Pork Ranger

I just don't understand how everyone can't get onboard with playing ASU and the spring game their. I've now lived in Fayetteville and central Arkansas and the people is central Arkansas deserve it. It's only one game!

Cotton

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 16, 2017, 12:26:40 pm
I just don't understand how everyone can't get onboard with playing ASU and the spring game their. I've now lived in Fayetteville and central Arkansas and the people is central Arkansas deserve it. It's only one game!
We should never play a game in LR and Dallas in the same year.

Neutral site games are the present and the future.  A second "home" is a thing of the past.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

pigture perfect

While most of you are looking at WMS As just a stadium, you're missing the significance of the upkeep, whether or not a quality opponent plays there or not. It is a Memorial building to honor the service of our military who have died for this country. It should be maintained much better than it has been. I have never been to the place when I didn't also remember why it was built.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HF#1

I would love to have games in Little Rock and I think we need to. I also think that playing in that Stadium as it sits today is not sustainable nor is it beneficial for the UofA. I think playing 1 cupcake a year there is a disservice to the fans of central and southern Arkansas. It is a difficult situation. Ultimately someone is going to have to figure out how to pay for a renovation or we have to abandon it. If they choose to abandon it, I won't be upset. I'll be disappointed but not upset.

I think the University, the coaches, and the players would all like to continue to play in LR.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 16, 2017, 12:26:40 pm
and the people is central Arkansas deserve it.

why do they "deserve" it?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Oklahawg

This is a big deal for the next AD, and I am very confident we will have a UA game at WMS. Maybe more than one a year. Spring game would be kinda stupid, since we only get a limited number of practices, and that is a prime time to get recruits on campus to cozy up to the program...but better than an SEC game where you have to guarantee 7500 tickets to the other team's fans.

There is a lot of envy over the $1.5M given to Coastal Carolina for their visit to RRS. State can't mandate that fee go to AState and the two teams play, can they? With the UA athletic department not relying for one dime of state money it is tough but would be tougher for UA to push back against a legistlative call for the two to play. Yeah, all of this mess is getting that stupid.

I would guess the real cost of updating WMS is closer to $40M. That is cash that would be better spent on a brand new stadium for HS and small-college use (maybe a 20K capacity) or otherwise boosting instate HS football.

Some of the updates come from the conference or media outlets. Have to address those needs and that is not a UA problem, that is a WMS problem.

The timing of Long's ouster is critical - we are at that point where scheduling negotiations are being hammered out. If UA were to "buy out" the game next year, that would be it. At the least, we are within 12 months of seeing the WMS games disappear. Once gone, they would be gone for good. So, those invested in WMS had to get Long out the door ASAP.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HF#1

I will say that JL did his best to alienate the UofA from Little Rock in my opinion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on November 16, 2017, 12:25:02 pm

That, and I guess he did see the article showing that more SE Arkansas fans buy tickets for RRS, than WMS, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2017, 12:35:06 pm
This is a big deal for the next AD, and I am very confident we will have a UA game at WMS. Maybe more than one a year. Spring game would be kinda stupid, since we only get a limited number of practices, and that is a prime time to get recruits on campus to cozy up to the program...but better than an SEC game where you have to guarantee 7500 tickets to the other team's fans.

There is a lot of envy over the $1.5M given to Coastal Carolina for their visit to RRS. State can't mandate that fee go to AState and the two teams play, can they? With the UA athletic department not relying for one dime of state money it is tough but would be tougher for UA to push back against a legistlative call for the two to play. Yeah, all of this mess is getting that stupid.

I would guess the real cost of updating WMS is closer to $40M. That is cash that would be better spent on a brand new stadium for HS and small-college use (maybe a 20K capacity) or otherwise boosting instate HS football.

Some of the updates come from the conference or media outlets. Have to address those needs and that is not a UA problem, that is a WMS problem.

The timing of Long's ouster is critical - we are at that point where scheduling negotiations are being hammered out. If UA were to "buy out" the game next year, that would be it. At the least, we are within 12 months of seeing the WMS games disappear. Once gone, they would be gone for good. So, those invested in WMS had to get Long out the door ASAP.

We aren't playing 2 games a year in LR and paying for stadium bonds and buyouts, unless we are paid a tremendous amount of money to play there. Would you pay $64,000 for a suite you can only use 5 times a year, think numbers, not nostalgia.

Atlhogfan1

Selfish to have the UA politically strong-armed and extorted to keep playing games in an inferior venue.  I agree the money could be better spent elsewhere.  But if the Hogs are forced to do this, then the money needs to be put into WMS.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lasthog

Quote from: Cotton on November 16, 2017, 12:25:02 pm

Elitist comment. You obviously drive a car that might not break down on such a journey. Plus flats.

WilsonHog

I'm not saying that we'll return to the days of a 4-3 split, but I bet the days of one game a year against the Florida A&Ms of the world are over.

For the past few years, I have been a strong proponent of playing all games on campus. However, I began thinking about it differently when I went to the Florida A&M game. From my first Razorback game in 1977 through the 1980 season, all of my memories are of WMS games. I hadn't been to a game there in several years, but those memories came flooding back this past September.

If the money can be found to renovate WMS a bit, and if playing a couple of games down there every season against decent teams will give a portion of our fan base greater access and make them feel valued by UA, do it. In the grand scheme of things, it'll be money well spent.

Maybe I'm softening in my old age, getting more nostalgic. Maybe Bruce finally convinced me.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Hog fans can be so exhausting.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 12:36:38 pm
That, and I guess he did see the article showing that more SE Arkansas fans buy tickets for RRS, than WMS, lol.
Nostalgia causes people to ignore facts that don't support their agenda.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

lasthog

Well, if the game on aThursday night againt a John Doe opponent didn't draw a crowd nothing will.

hogsanity

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 16, 2017, 12:45:57 pm
I'm not saying that we'll return to the days of a 4-3 split, but I bet the days of one game a year against the Florida A&Ms of the world are over.

For the past few years, I have been a strong proponent of playing all games on campus. However, I began thinking about it differently when I went to the Florida A&M game. From my first Razorback game in 1977 through the 1980 season, all of my memories are of WMS games. I hadn't been to a game there is several years, but those memories came flooding back this past September.

If the money can be found to renovate WMS a bit, and if playing a couple of games down there every season against decent teams will give a portion of our fan base greater access and make them feel valued by UA, do it. In the grand scheme of things, it'll be money well spent.

Maybe I'm softening in my old age, getting more nostalgic. Maybe Bruce finally convinced me.

A god plan to follow for taking their team around the state would be the ones in place at Bama, Nebraska, Tn, Ohio St, Pn St, LSU..........Oh wait

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 16, 2017, 12:45:57 pm

For the past few years, I have been a strong proponent of playing all games on campus. However, I began thinking about it differently when I went to the Florida A&M game. From my first Razorback game in 1977 through the 1980 season, all of my memories are of WMS games. I hadn't been to a game there is several years, but those memories came flooding back this past September.

7-8 games is a lot for Fay.  Giving WMS 1 and every once in awhile a second is okay.  If the venue is made adequate. 

Cotton

Quote from: lasthog on November 16, 2017, 12:44:07 pm
Elitist comment. You obviously drive a car that might not break down on such a journey. Plus flats.
OP said people in south AR lived 8 hours from RRS. Keep up with the thread.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on November 16, 2017, 12:45:58 pm
Hog fans can be so exhausting.

The real conversation is not beating a dead horse of where games should be played. But recognizing something major happened this week that impacts where games will be played, at least for a while. That's new and worth discussing.

Cotton

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2017, 12:49:27 pm
7-8 games is a lot for Fay.  Giving WMS 1 and every once in awhile a second is okay.  If the venue is made adequate.
1 of those is in Dallas for God knows how long.

Waste Management Stadium needs to be torn down.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

WilsonHog

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2017, 12:51:48 pm
The real conversation is not beating a dead horse of where games should be played. But recognizing something major happened this week that impacts where games will be played, at least for a while. That's new and worth discussing.

Exactly. Despite the current environment in our country, good old fashioned negotiation is necessary for change to occur. I believe Razorback games at WMS have been a plank in those negotiations.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Cotton on November 16, 2017, 12:53:39 pm

I know.  But we are going to be forced to keep doing this.   Need to make it less stupid.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2017, 12:51:48 pm

The only problem is that people are just making the same tired arguments.  If I were a prospective athletic director, there's no way in hell I'd want to come to Fayetteville and deal with this BS.

Can we just ban the next person that says "the wine and cheese crowd in NWA"?  I'm sure plenty of people have been banned for less annoying offenses.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on November 16, 2017, 01:04:02 pm
The only problem is that people are just making the same tired arguments.  If I were a prospective athletic director, there's no way in hell I'd want to come to Fayetteville and deal with this BS.

Can we just ban the next person that says "the wine and cheese crowd in NWA"?  I'm sure plenty of people have been banned for less annoying offenses.

You know all of these comments about understanding Arkansas and needing an Arkansas person.  This is one of those weird stupid things an outsider won't get. 

But this conversation is a little different because we have some numbers related to what needs to be done to WMS. 

Cotton

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2017, 12:58:34 pm
I know.  But we are going to be forced to keep doing this.   Need to make it less stupid.
IF we are forced to have a game in LR every year... (stupid IMO)

It should not be on a week night or a G5/FCS school. I see your point, if we are going to do it at least do it right.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

The_Iceman

Move the Spring game and razor fest down to Little Rock. It makes more sense for that to be held in LR to build connections with the fans.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2017, 01:06:56 pm
You know all of these comments about understanding Arkansas and needing an Arkansas person.  This is one of those weird stupid things an outsider won't get. 

But this conversation is a little different because we have some numbers related to what needs to be done to WMS. 

I grew up in Arkansas, and I don't understand Arkansas..........for so many reasons......not all sports-related.  (Grew up in Bryant, graduated from UofA)

There's a pretty simple (and free) solution to this problem, but I wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of being an "elitist" so I'll just sit this one out.

lasthog

Quote from: Cotton on November 16, 2017, 12:50:00 pm
OP said people in south AR lived 8 hours from RRS. Keep up with the thread.

Sir, if you can't tell that I was facetiously implying that folks from S. Arkansas drove old run-down cars, I guess I need to insert a winky, or maybe better yet, just insert "I kid, I kid."

I hail from Dallas county, and my brothers and I frequently tell each other to be sure and park on a hill. You, know, like it may have to be pushed to start.

cjack

Like a poster said earlier, he never forgets what that stadium was named and built for.  Some people do.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

From Tusk Till Dawn

Play the spring game there (against ASU) 1 sec game, and eliminate Jerry world.  The $10 million sounds kinda funny when you think about what we will likely pay in total for buyouts...

hogsanity

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 16, 2017, 01:54:16 pm
Play the spring game there (against ASU) 1 sec game, and eliminate Jerry world.  The $10 million sounds kinda funny when you think about what we will likely pay in total for buyouts...

Well, you cant play spring games against other schools, so the ASU in the spring is out. Why does it have to be a SEC game? Jerry Word deal is a contract, to get out of it the Hogs would have to pay a breakup fee of who knows how much.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 02:08:07 pm
Well, you cant play spring games against other schools, so the ASU in the spring is out. Why does it have to be a SEC game? Jerry Word deal is a contract, to get out of it the Hogs would have to pay a breakup fee of who knows how much.

Actually, the Aggies would be more than happy to break the contract, Jerry???

factchecker

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/119645/analysis-war-memorial-only-slightly-more-popular-with-south-arkansas-fans

Quote from: factchecker on November 15, 2017, 03:17:18 pm
Fans from northwest Arkansas make up a bigger portion of ticket sales for Razorbacks football games held in Little Rock than fans from the southeast and southwest areas of the state combined....
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 02:10:13 pm
Actually, the Aggies would be more than happy to break the contract, Jerry???

Great, I wish both sides would amicably walk away from that deal.

factchecker

People bringing up jonesboro state are funny.

They don't want to play in WMS either:

Quote"We're very open to entertaining any offer, but for us to just go pay rent some place, that's not going to happen," ASU Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said. "It has to be financially beneficial to help strengthen our program."

ASU and UAPB had a oral agreement to play its 2013 game there, but it was moved to Jonesboro so ASU could play its first game under then-Coach Bryan Harsin on campus. Mohajir and Crass haven't talked about playing a future game in central Arkansas since.

"We have great supporters in central Arkansas, but we're going to make our decisions on how it benefits Arkansas State and our athletic department," Mohajir said.

In fact, state fans think that WMS should pay them and/or their opponent to play a neutral site game in Little Rock:

http://scout.com/college/arkansas-state/Article/An-Open-Letter-to-the-leadership-in-Central-Arkansas-wanting-Tro-106158494

the same financial hurdle applies to conway:

UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said the last time his school played at War Memorial in 2008 resulted in a "big financial loss."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/oct/17/war-memorial-not-an-easy-sell-20141017/

Why are all of these teams expected to take financial losses to play in Little Rock?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 02:08:07 pm
So why cant the spring game be against another school, you dont have to keep score, its essentially a glorified practice.  The basketball team plays exhibition games.  Is there a real rule that prohibits that, I really dont know but heard it discussed on the radio and loved the idea.  I would go watch that and my kid gets to play on the bouncy house, fun for all.  As for an sec game, the whole point is to bring the state together, people will feel left out if always getting cupcakes.  Maybe, play mizzou there every year?  As for the jerry world contract, I understand what your saying but JL had a contract too.

hoglady

A Florida A&M type game is a tough sell as a stand alone game  -  whether it's in Fayetteville or Little Rock.
Especially when most of the seats are $75 to $100 a seat.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Cotton

Quote from: hoglady on November 16, 2017, 02:22:02 pm
A Florida A&M type game is a tough sell as a stand alone game  -  whether it's in Fayetteville or Little Rock.
It was a 5 year average.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=647504.50

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: cjack on November 16, 2017, 01:31:51 pm
Like a poster said earlier, he never forgets what that stadium was named and built for.  Some people do.
Ok? What does that have to do with Razorback football in 2017?

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

factchecker

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 16, 2017, 02:20:46 pm
So why cant the spring game be against another school, you dont have to keep score, its essentially a glorified practice.  The basketball team plays exhibition games.  Is there a real rule that prohibits that

Yes..... there is a rule against that.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote"We have great supporters in central Arkansas, but we're going to make our decisions on how it benefits Arkansas State and our athletic department," Mohajir said.

What a concept?!

Can you believe those Jonesboro elitist snobs?

factchecker

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on November 16, 2017, 02:37:36 pm
What a concept?!

Can you believe those Jonesboro elitist snobs?

The Razorbacks are expected to lose money, make tickets dirt cheap, win at a high level, schedule a great opponent, make sure the game is in a perfect time slot, and hope the weather is great to make little rock happy.

I've seen supposed Razorback fans threaten to switch allegiances to a different instate school if the Razorbacks don't do all of the above..... despite every other instate school not wanting to play in WMS. It's crazy.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

pigture perfect

For what purpose? When I went to my first game in in Fayetteville RRS was in worse shape than War Memorial is today. A little updating and expansion could make it easily on par with RRS. I don't want half the games in Little Rock. But fix the old girl up and see the magic.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HogRyder

I don't  know exactly why Long was let go but doubtful it's because of those invested in WMS.  It certainly is in Central Arkansas best interest to invest money into something other than Razorback football.  Surely they have learned that since the GSD started.

I do see many reasons why Mr. Long would have been released besides games in Little Rock.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on November 16, 2017, 02:22:02 pm

All I heard back during the 1st gsd was how people in CA and SA just love the Hogs, they just want to see the Hogs play.  I said back then what they really meats was we love the Hogs JUST enough that we will go see them if they come to us. We JUST want the game(s) in LR to be really good matchups like Bama & LSU. We do not want JUST any game. And then of course the leaders in LR we JUST want the $ the Hogs bring.

The_Iceman

I think what will end up happening is we will make it where our away game in Dallas against a&m corresponds with our home game vs. Mizzou, and we will play that game in Little Rock.

And I don't mind having those idiot Mizzou fans drive an extra 3 hours to the game.

I would personally rather see the a&m game become home and home and schedule a marquee non conference game in Dallas every year (Baylor, TCU, OU, Texas, etc).