Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regime Change

Started by razorbackfaninar, September 18, 2017, 12:33:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

I think that what people often don't realize is that major change to a football program whatever the reason in a majority of cases takes a long time to get over.  Just look at the perennially great programs that have gone through extreme changes and they are still struggling. Texas, Tennessee, LSU, USC, Florida, Michigan they are still trying to get back to where they were.

As much as anyone I am frustrated with the results seen on the field so far this year, not just the one loss, but the same issues year in and year out that we can't seem to diagnose or fix.  We had better be ready though for another 4-5 years of struggling to make progress if we fire Bielema and start over.  It isn't impossible that a new coach can come in and have us in New Years Day bowl games in a year or two, but it is improbable. It happens that you get a James Franklin who can come in an turn it around quickly. But more often that not it takes time.  I guess you have to weigh that against the probability that Bielema will get things figured out.  Like most people I hope that he can, but I am beginning to doubt that he'll be able to. 

East Clintwood

So we're not worth a damn with CBB for the next 3 years or we're not worth a damn with a new guy for 3 years but the new guy might improve  on that?

Let's take our chances with someone new.  We've seen what we're going to see with CBB.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hoggie17

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 18, 2017, 12:33:21 pm
I think that what people often don't realize is that major change to a football program whatever the reason in a majority of cases takes a long time to get over.  Just look at the perennially great programs that have gone through extreme changes and they are still struggling. Texas, Tennessee, LSU, USC, Florida, Michigan they are still trying to get back to where they were.

As much as anyone I am frustrated with the results seen on the field so far this year, not just the one loss, but the same issues year in and year out that we can't seem to diagnose or fix.  We had better be ready though for another 4-5 years of struggling to make progress if we fire Bielema and start over.  It isn't impossible that a new coach can come in and have us in New Years Day bowl games in a year or two, but it is improbable. It happens that you get a James Franklin who can come in an turn it around quickly. But more often that not it takes time.  I guess you have to weigh that against the probability that Bielema will get things figured out.  Like most people I hope that he can, but I am beginning to doubt that he'll be able to.
If you love losing stay the course.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 18, 2017, 01:31:14 pm
If you love losing stay the course.

Dude I'm 32 years old and I've known nothing but losing and heartbreak. Aside from a handful(small handful at that), of winning, dominant seasons.

This is Arkansas. Will always be Arkansas.

jdlew

Just don't think JL will make a move this year...

bphi11ips

We don't need no stinkin' regime change.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MJ2

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 18, 2017, 01:10:33 pm
So we're not worth a damn with CBB for the next 3 years or we're not worth a damn with a new guy for 3 years but the new guy might improve  on that?

Let's take our chances with someone new.  We've seen what we're going to see with CBB.

Count me in.   Tired of losing.   Tired of watching other (lesser) programs get better (Miss State, OM, So Carol, TCU, etc.)   Let the revolution begin.

codeHog

Arizona ST Todd Graham articles

For first time at ASU, no contract extension for Todd Graham

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2017/06/13/asu-football-todd-graham-not-receive-contract-extension/381958001/

A Road Map For Arizona State Coach Todd Graham To Save His Job

https://www.fanragsports.com/road-map-sun-devils-coach-todd-graham-save-job/

ASU coach Todd Graham understands his job could be on the line

http://arizonasports.com/story/1186581/arizona-state-coach-todd-graham-job-on-line/

Paul

Quote from: codeHog on September 18, 2017, 03:13:21 pm
Arizona ST Todd Graham articles

For first time at ASU, no contract extension for Todd Graham

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2017/06/13/asu-football-todd-graham-not-receive-contract-extension/381958001/

A Road Map For Arizona State Coach Todd Graham To Save His Job

https://www.fanragsports.com/road-map-sun-devils-coach-todd-graham-save-job/

ASU coach Todd Graham understands his job could be on the line

http://arizonasports.com/story/1186581/arizona-state-coach-todd-graham-job-on-line/
I never understood why Graham got that job

RME

Quote from: MJ2 on September 18, 2017, 03:05:31 pm
Count me in.   Tired of losing.   Tired of watching other (lesser) programs get better (Miss State, OM, So Carol, TCU, etc.)   Let the revolution begin.

Why are those programs "lesser?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: AP85 on September 18, 2017, 02:11:14 pm
Dude I'm 32 years old and I've known nothing but losing and heartbreak. Aside from a handful(small handful at that), of winning, dominant seasons.

People always overhype the team, then gets disappointed when it does live up. 

I'm happy for the times we are really good, but I don't expect it to happen all the time.  look at our history for the last 2 decades and it will prove that point.

I am concerned that we don't look fundamentally sound, but I also know that sometimes the difference between losing and winning any given play can be a split second or a half a yard.  if we can figure out a way to consistently be on the right side of that equation things will turn around for this team quickly.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 18, 2017, 03:20:15 pm
Why are those programs "lesser?"
because they don't have arkansas on their jerseys.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Redhogs

Quote from: Paul on September 18, 2017, 03:19:21 pm
I never understood why Graham got that job
I know, bailed on every job he ever had, usually after a year or two. made CBP look like mr. stable.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 18, 2017, 03:25:30 pm
People always overhype the team, then gets disappointed when it does live up. 

I'm happy for the times we are really good, but I don't expect it to happen all the time.  look at our history for the last 2 decades and it will prove that point.

I am concerned that we don't look fundamentally sound, but I also know that sometimes the difference between losing and winning any given play can be a split second or a half a yard.  if we can figure out a way to consistently be on the right side of that equation things will turn around for this team quickly.

With Nutt I thought we could win any game on the schedule. More than likely wouldn't, but we COULD have.

With Petrino, I started every game thinking that we were gonna win unless the other team did something remarkable. (2010: Ingram's second half, Cam Newton's crazy performance)

With Bielema, I just wonder what part of our team will fall apart this week. Something new every week. Except for the kicking game now, it sucks every week.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hoggie17

I am 72 I've known the joy of victory, Nutt was OK, BP was made for Arkansas. If we think we are losers that what will be.   

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 18, 2017, 04:00:43 pm
With Nutt I thought we could win any game on the schedule. More than likely wouldn't, but we COULD have.

With Petrino, I started every game thinking that we were gonna win unless the other team did something remarkable. (2010: Ingram's second half, Cam Newton's crazy performance)

With Bielema, I just wonder what part of our team will fall apart this week. Something new every week. Except for the kicking game now, it sucks every week.
yeah, with Nutt he had Matt Jones and DMAC, the years inbetween those 2 superstars we pretty much sucked and had no chance against anyone but the worst teams. 

Petrino was an anomaly.  we rode that lightning as far as we could before the program crashed and burned. 

CBB picked up the ashes and at least got things stabilized even if its only stable at a low level.  He doesn't have a superstar right now, and until we get one, we will be a mediocre program at best.

rickfahr

Agreed.

rickfahr

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 18, 2017, 04:06:44 pm
yeah, with Nutt he had Matt Jones and DMAC, the years inbetween those 2 superstars we pretty much sucked and had no chance against anyone but the worst teams. 

Petrino was an anomaly.  we rode that lightning as far as we could before the program crashed and burned. 

CBB picked up the ashes and at least got things stabilized even if its only stable at a low level.  He doesn't have a superstar right now, and until we get one, we will be a mediocre program at best.

He's had FIVE YEARS. A U.S. president doesn't get that much time before a referendum on his performance.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 18, 2017, 04:06:44 pm

Meh.

I don't think Pro-Style is possible with the athletes that he has available in recruiting. We can't run the ball well enough to hold on to TOP and keep our defense fresh.
This is my non-signature signature.

sowmonella

Quote from: MJ2 on September 18, 2017, 03:05:31 pm

Off the top of my head so I may be wrong but didn't all of those schools have losing records last year? I just checked and they ALL HAD LOSING RECORDS IN 2016.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

cmphill87

This attitude is disgusting as a fellow Razorback fan. I'm also 30, but a third generation alumn. I remember the disappointment my Dad and granddad did with Nutt as the coach which I grew up with. They would always circle back to Hatfield. Then I was spoiled my freshman year 2006 with arguably the best Razorback team in anyone recent memory until Petrino. Of course that year (2006) came with the Malazan debacle. Then the regime change to Bobby Petrino didn't take long (certainly not the 3-4) years to produce solid teams. In 3 years Petrino lead Arkansas to its BCS bowl birth to play in the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State which is arguable the high point Arkansas has reached since at least Hatfield. After Petrino, we hired CBB who had a spectacular record at Wisconsin. Since CBB has been at Arkansas, Wisconsin has not missed him. Gary Anderson went 19-7 there, and Paul Chryst is 21-6 with some help from Alvarez respectively. I seriously question CBBs Wisky record as that came when the BIG was depleted.

The point is, Arkansas has been good (at least a contender) at points especially in the SWC. If you don't aspire to be better, you never will be. Danny Ford for example...very applicable here, lasted 5 seasons at Arkansas for going sub 500. CBB is in year 4, so he is most definitely coaching for his job and if he isn't then something is wrong administratively.

Granted Arkansas isn't great. Never has been. However Arkansas can be good, and a team other schools dread playing. That's my expectation. Not 8 to 10 wins, but a chance to beat Alabama or LSU and get a chance to play schools like Michigan/Texas/Oklahoma in a good bowl then once in a blue moon, be ranked top 5. I don't think that's asking too much. Frank Broyles would have expected nothing less.
-Chrisky

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 18, 2017, 04:15:28 pm
Meh.

I don't think Pro-Style is possible with the athletes that he has available in recruiting. We can't run the ball well enough to hold on to TOP and keep our defense fresh.
what is 'pro-style' other than having the QB under center instead of in shotgun?

JOKERHOG

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 18, 2017, 12:33:21 pm

That is why you don't hire the wrong guy in the first place and put a crazy buyout on top of that
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Amen brother, time to move on so we can at least have hope again
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

swinemaster

Michigan is back.  No Coach has proven that he can turn a program around better than Harbaugh.  He's incredible.  But like Petrino, he is a wildcard personality.  He tends to wear out his welcome.  I think he will be the Head Coach of the Indianapolis Colts sooner rather than later.

Other than that, I agree.  A lot of very storied programs can't seem to find the magic formula these days.

AirWarren

Quote from: cmphill87 on September 18, 2017, 04:41:42 pm
This attitude is disgusting as a fellow Razorback fan. I'm also 30, but a third generation alumn. I remember the disappointment my Dad and granddad did with Nutt as the coach which I grew up with. They would always circle back to Hatfield. Then I was spoiled my freshman year 2006 with arguably the best Razorback team in anyone recent memory until Petrino. Of course that year (2006) came with the Malazan debacle. Then the regime change to Bobby Petrino didn't take long (certainly not the 3-4) years to produce solid teams. In 3 years Petrino lead Arkansas to its BCS bowl birth to play in the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State which is arguable the high point Arkansas has reached since at least Hatfield. After Petrino, we hired CBB who had a spectacular record at Wisconsin. Since CBB has been at Arkansas, Wisconsin has not missed him. Gary Anderson went 19-7 there, and Paul Chryst is 21-6 with some help from Alvarez respectively. I seriously question CBBs Wisky record as that came when the BIG was depleted.

The point is, Arkansas has been good (at least a contender) at points especially in the SWC. If you don't aspire to be better, you never will be. Danny Ford for example...very applicable here, lasted 5 seasons at Arkansas for going sub 500. CBB is in year 4, so he is most definitely coaching for his job and if he isn't then something is wrong administratively.

Granted Arkansas isn't great. Never has been. However Arkansas can be good, and a team other schools dread playing. That's my expectation. Not 8 to 10 wins, but a chance to beat Alabama or LSU and get a chance to play schools like Michigan/Texas/Oklahoma in a good bowl then once in a blue moon, be ranked top 5. I don't think that's asking too much. Frank Broyles would have expected nothing less.

Did not read.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rickfahr on September 18, 2017, 04:13:47 pm
He's had FIVE YEARS. A U.S. president doesn't get that much time before a referendum on his performance.

as others have pointed out, we have gone 5 years with out a scandal. He gave it his best shot.  He isn't in danger of winning the NC in the foreseeable future.

So what should the program do?  wait for his buy out to become manageable and replace him with a well researched candidate.

knee jerk reactions aren't going to fix anything.  every year CBB has been here people thought we should have hired the next hot coach whether it was Sumlin or Briles or Herman etc.  all those hot coaches flamed out.  I'd rather we take two more years to wait and watch.  every year a new hot coach pops on the radar.  lets take our time (since we have plenty)  make sure we pick the right one next time.

Arkansas Fan

Meh.

How would we recruit players for the Spread if we ran that, if the majority of other programs in the country run the Spread? The Pro-Style isn't the problem, it's a combination of execution and talent, which no matter what offense we run, will always be a problem.

Qadi999

I've only been a fan of the  Hogs since the Dmac years. (that's when I moved into the state) Out of all the hog coaches, the only one I felt like always had a chance to win the game even if it meant coming from behind was Petrino.

Calling All Hogs

The only way Long fires CBB at the end of this year is if we have a catastrophic year with only 3 (maybe 4) wins and he is forced to. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 18, 2017, 05:26:38 pm
I've only been a fan of the  Hogs since the Dmac years. (that's when I moved into the state) Out of all the hog coaches, the only one I felt like always had a chance to win the game even if it meant coming from behind was Petrino.
man, you missed out on the Matt Jones Era.  Anything could happen (some times good, some times bad, always exciting) when he had the ball in his hands.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 18, 2017, 05:28:36 pm
The only way Long fires CBB at the end of this year is if we have a catastrophic year with only 3 (maybe 4) wins and he is forced to. 

15 mil is a big pill to swallow.  the only way CBB gets fired is a 'for cause' breach of contract type thing that would allow us not to pay his buy out.

either way, its better for the university that neither scenario happens, and we meander along for 2 more years then we hire someone who can do something with the foundation that CBB has built here.

Qadi999

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 18, 2017, 05:24:38 pm
How would we recruit players for the Spread if we ran that, if the majority of other programs in the country run the Spread? The Pro-Style isn't the problem, it's a combination of execution and talent, which no matter what offense we run, will always be a problem.
this is not true the whole point of the spread is there are much more talented WR RB and QB then there are O-linemen. Running a spread eliminates the need for those highly talented linemen and lets you compete with those more talented schools. You prob will never win a champ with that style of football, but that should not be a goal for the hogs getting in and staying in the top 25 should be the only goal for Arkansas till the have a history of being a top 25 school. Once you're in the top 25 long enough the talent will come.

Qadi999

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 18, 2017, 05:28:49 pm
man, you missed out on the Matt Jones Era.  Anything could happen (some times good, some times bad, always exciting) when he had the ball in his hands.
I think I saw MAtt jones last year, I moved to Arkansas in 2004 . was not long after that that I started watching hogs games.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 18, 2017, 05:37:13 pm
I think I saw MAtt jones last year, I moved to Arkansas in 2004 . was not long after that that I started watching hogs games.
we struggled his senior year, I think Nutt was in the middle of his "2 year pass"  coincidentally CBB pretty much has a "2 year pass" built into his contract right now, due to his buy out. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 18, 2017, 05:33:51 pm
this is not true the whole point of the spread is there are much more talented WR RB and QB then there are O-linemen. Running a spread eliminates the need for those highly talented linemen and lets you compete with those more talented schools. You prob will never win a champ with that style of football, but that should not be a goal for the hogs getting in and staying in the top 25 should be the only goal for Arkansas till the have a history of being a top 25 school. Once you're in the top 25 long enough the talent will come.
I agree, being on the ESPN ticker all year every year would build a lot of program recognition and improve recruiting. 

grassroothog

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 18, 2017, 05:26:38 pm
And you missed the Hatfield era too. Watching Quin Grovey scramble for 40 yards to gain 10. Steve Atwater and Wayne Martin. These guys really made em hear the footsteps. (back in those days you could hit).

Dang , now im sad again.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: sowmonella on September 18, 2017, 04:16:27 pm
Off the top of my head so I may be wrong but didn't all of those schools have losing records last year? I just checked and they ALL HAD LOSING RECORDS IN 2016.

Lol. So he wants a losing season.  We might get that this year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Boarcephus

Quote from: swinemaster on September 18, 2017, 05:20:24 pm
Michigan is back.  No Coach has proven that he can turn a program around better than Harbaugh.  He's incredible.  But like Petrino, he is a wildcard personality.  He tends to wear out his welcome.  I think he will be the Head Coach of the Indianapolis Colts sooner rather than later.

Other than that, I agree.  A lot of very storied programs can't seem to find the magic formula these days.

So is Penn State with Franklin.  Arkansas can still field a solid team but it'll take a coach who can do more with less because he'll have less until he experiences a few successful seasons. A Petrino is a coach who can do more with less but Bielema needs better. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: sowmonella on September 18, 2017, 04:16:27 pm
so if we lose to a bunch of teams that had losing records last year?

007 License To Squeal

Dude, I'm 64.  I can tell you that those who have low standards are never more than mediocre........
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 18, 2017, 04:06:36 pm
I am 72 I've known the joy of victory, Nutt was OK, BP was made for Arkansas. If we think we are losers that what will be.   

Amen, Brother!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

The Great Hambino

Quote from: AP85 on September 18, 2017, 05:20:44 pm
Did not read.

Don't bother. Claims to be super fan. Doesn't even know what year as coach Bert is in. Talks about not sucking. Sets expectations to occasionally beat LsU. No... just no all around. We have not been good in several years, but we can be. Doubtful it'll happen with the current coach though.

It is correct that some of the big names in college football have hired and failed with their hire.  Texas is the one coming to mind right now.  Charley Strong is a pretty good coach but in hindsight, was not the correct fit for Texas.  Herman may be that fit.  Time will tell.  In most cases of failure, it is the fault of the folks hiring and not doing their homework on the new hire or not having a clue what to look for in the new hire.  For a team like Arkansas that is handicapped some by location, it is imperative that the HC be someone that skill players want to go play for.  For example, Alex Collins came to Arkansas to play for BB.  Mallett came here to play for Petrino.  That is one of the first ways a HC can help his team.  The HC must choose to lead, to demand, to be fair, to be knowledgeable of the game and refuse to be denied.  His leadership must be respected not by fear but because the team and its players believe in and trust the HC and buy into his system.  Then success breeds success.  We haven't had a complete coach since Holtz.  Hatfield was successful in the small pond called the SWC but he coached here when every school in the SWC was on probation.  Look it up.  During his tenure, every SWC school suffered a period of probation except Arkansas.  When we played nearly anyone outside the SWC except truly rent a wins, we got beat and sometimes a really ugly beatdown.  Once we had 50 yards of offense for an entire game for example.  I believe OK hung that on us but admit times like that were long ago and in a fuzzy memory. 

Every coach since Holtz have been IFS and Buts coaches. Crowe:  If he only would have had the experience---Ford:  If he wasn't past his prime----Nutt If he didn't have a huge ego and if he had more knowledge of the game----Petrino, IF he could keep his personal business straight---BB:  If he could manage to manage and lead and if he had a scheme that stood any chance on even a good day in the SEC.  Since Holtz, our administration has failed to pick and choose in a manner that would allow Arkansas to even reach their potential.                                                                                                                                         

Most of us know that our potential isn't going to be SEC champs even 10 percent of the time and if an NC opportunity comes along it would be once every 50 or so years, but we also know with the right coach, we can win 8 nearly every year unless we pick on a really strong OOC team, and when the SEC is weak like this year, we could go 10 or maybe, just maybe 11 wins.  Truth is the SEC hasn't been this bad overall likely since we've been in the SEC.  I do believe GA, MSU, SC, Aubbie and BAMA will end up being worthy of high ranking, like top 15, but that is a weak year for SEC.  We should be up there too.  Arkansas should be ranked, at seasons end in the top 10 once every 10 years, in the top 15, 2 or 3 times in 10 years and and ranked below 25th only once every 10 years.  We should be considered a top 25 program by nearly every standard and be a team no one would want to go play against for fear of losing. 

Right now we are straining every muscle, tendon, brain fiber, encouraging this coaching staff in every way possible to get us up to 8 wins and boy that is a stretch.  This last cluster started with the AD not understanding how difficult it is to attract the best players to Arkansas, not understanding how easy it is to beat a team who chooses to run it up the gut with players not able to open the hole up the gut and none in sight.  BB has a world of shortcomings, but his system was never going to work here anyway.  At least not to a point of winning at least 8 annually and more quite often.  There is not an SEC defense that cannot stop even BAMAS run game if power up the middle is what you want to run 50 to 75 percent of the time.  Once you get away form the power football scheme BB likes, he is dumbfounded for anything else.  Right now our team is so divided and confused and leaderless.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Qadi999 on September 18, 2017, 05:33:51 pm

Gotta have an O-line for those talented skilled guys to do anything, both in Pro and Spread. Again, no matter what Arkansas runs, it's about execution and either having or not having the talent to run it.

Inhogswetrust

Really. A LOT can happen. Florida when I was a kid was not near what they are today. I bet Texas never thought they would go through their inconsistencies either. I bet you thought the Cubs would never win the World Series. A LOT can change over time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogs49ers

Harbaugh has now proved twice in the last 7 years that he can turn around a struggling team extremely quick (49ers and Michigan).

49ers:
Before Harbaugh arrived, the 49ers had not had a winning season since 2002.  During his first year, they were expected to struggle more so than usual because of the lockout that shortened summer and training camp practices while trying to teach a losing team a new system with a bunch of new players. 

Result - Harbaugh led the team to a 13–3 record in the regular season, won the NFC West division, losing last minute in the NFC Championship Game to the    Giants. Went to the Super Bowl the next year losing in the last minute.

Michigan:
Before Harbaugh arrived, Michigan was 7-6 in 2013 and 5-7 in 2014 and had been mediocre for a long time. 

Result - In 2015, Harbaugh led them to 10-3 and a victory over Florida in the Citrus Bowl. In 2016, he also led them to 10-3 and is ranked in the top 10 so far in 2017 with a solid start beating Florida in week 1.

No we are not getting Jim Harbaugh, but maybe we should start looking at some of the coaches that have been under him during these insane turnarounds.  I remember Greg Roman was a damn good offensive coordinator and Vic Fangio was an amazing defense coordinator both under Harbaugh at SF.  Just a thought.
SCREW Vandy!

Swestwill66

There doesn't seem to be any fire in brett's teams.The Missouri game last year, that linebacker for them talked all kinds of trash about arkansas. What was the team's response?  Ho hum, yawn. Could you imagine the beat down that would have happened if Rice had talked that stuff back in the Holtz era?

bennyl08

Meh.

Pro style did quite well under Petrino.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Granny fan

I'm now 66 years old, and have lived through too many coaches to count.  I'm beginning to seriously doubt I will live to see a conference championship, let alone a NC.  Just makes me sad.