Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BJ Young and Marshawn Powell

Started by Smithian, February 16, 2013, 06:05:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithian

Good job guys. Thankyou for being Razorbacks!

Danny J

Without BJ being BJ at the end of the game we lose. Nobody else could have did what he did. He just wouldn't be denied. That is 3 games now he won at the end for us. OU, Auburn at home and that game.

PS...I only bring it up because a poster mentioned not too long ago he couldn't hit big shots or couldn't win us games at the end. Said he wasn't clutch.

Spider-Pig

Can also add Clarke.  Those three played huge

ricepig

Just think if he could hit his free throws........He's frustrating, but I'm glad his ours.

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2013, 06:12:51 pm
Just think if he could hit his free throws........He's frustrating, but I'm glad his ours.
He hit those two on the and ones which were the most important.

chiefhawg

Quote from: Spider-Pig on February 16, 2013, 06:12:08 pm
Can also add Clarke.  Those three played huge
Haydar has to be on the list.

PennHOG

Powell really showed leadership today.  Kudos to him for staying out of foul trouble and making the free throws.

Now show that on the road and we'll really have something. 

Win the rest of the home games and the LSU game and then make a run at he SEC tournament.  It might just be enough.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

pigbacon

It really was a team effort today. All had a role. Wade hit a 3 I know, Mick had a couple of rebounds when we needed it, Clarke stepped up, and Powell was in a zone. BJ stepped it up and took over to come back and seal it. Credit to all including CMA.

elksnort

They're the two best players we have, so they should step up and get it done.

"could have did" is painful to read.  It's not a typo either.

PonderinHog

Quote from: elksnort on February 16, 2013, 06:44:39 pm
They're the two best players we have, so they should step up and get it done.

"could have did" is painful to read.  It's not a typo either.
Do you prefer "could of did?"

elksnort

No, I'd prefer reading, "could have done".

But I digress.

Powell and Young got it done tonight.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

PonderinHog

Smithian

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 16, 2013, 06:09:27 pm
Without BJ being BJ at the end of the game we lose. Nobody else could have did what he did. He just wouldn't be denied. That is 3 games now he won at the end for us. OU, Auburn at home and that game.

PS...I only bring it up because a poster mentioned not too long ago he couldn't hit big shots or couldn't win us games at the end. Said he wasn't clutch.
EXACTLY

Dogtown Donkey

B.J. is a weird dude sometimes.

He was actually playing pretty bad in the 2nd half, and then BOOM. Went into a phone booth and came out wearing his Superman cape and saved the day.

He definitely bailed us out today.

Razor6

#11 and #33

Please play 1 more year!

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Fayettechill14

BJ struggled and was a turnover machine all night but then won the game for us in the end.

Powell gave us the chance to win by not only pouring in a ton of points by taking over the start of the 2nd half, but also putting their bigs in foul trouble.

RAZ FAN

elksnort

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on February 16, 2013, 11:13:56 pm

He was actually playing pretty bad in the 2nd half, and then BOOM. Went into a phone booth and came out wearing his Superman cape and saved the day.

Point shaving?

The real Hogules

Quote from: chiefhawg on February 16, 2013, 06:17:37 pm
Haydar has to be on the list.

I couldn't agree more!

And Marshawn Powell has matured a whole bunch since he first stepped onto the floor at BWA all those years ago.

Also kudo's to Coach Anderson for taking our program from where it was when he arrived and steadily getting us back to where we belong.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Mrcoolhog55

Yes it was a good Win yesterday. It was a Team Win also. Hats off to BJ, and Marsawn Powell yesterday. They won the game for the HOGS. THEY WERE CLUTCH yesterday. Now I think the Hogs can maybe do something, like get in postseason play, but will need to win 1 on the road somewhere. Hopefully at LSU, but can they get it done?? They will need to play with confidence, and not be fragile on the road. They need to hit their free-throws better, and shoot outside shots better. Look I hope for the NCAA'S , or even the Nit ,just so that are underclassmen like Qualls, and Williams, and all the others can get more games in, and more practices, so as to help next year. Also if the HOGS can get an Nit bid ,THEN THEY SHOULD GET TO PLAY AT HOME FOR 1-2-3- games at least. But I would rather see the HOGS IN THE NCAA'S, but the Hogs will need to finish with 21-22-23 wins after the SEC Tournament. In other words win 1-2-3 games in the SEC Tournament.... WPS-Go Hogs Go. They will need to Win all of their remaining Home games which is 3. Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas A&M...BJ, and Marshawn PLEASE stay 1 more year, and help our younger players develop into better players. They can see what you guys have done, and be good Leaders on, and off the court. But I wish you guys much success in whatever you do wether it is the NBA, or life itself. Happy you guys are playing for our Hogs.... I have watch you guys play in LR, and have enjoyed your careers here with the HOGS....

Pork Twain

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 16, 2013, 06:14:44 pm
He hit those two on the and ones which were the most important.
Actually they are all equally important.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rude1

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on February 16, 2013, 11:13:56 pm

Exactly, he was helping them as much as us for a good stretch there in the 2nd half. 11 turnovers as a team, BJ has 5 of them.

hogman99

We need them to do this everynight and I think they can.  They do this and we have chance to win a few road games down the stretch.

elksnort

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 17, 2013, 10:32:56 am
Actually they are all equally important.
My wife was a good basketball player in HS and shot free throws at 85%. She said her old coach said basically the same thing you are saying about making the free throws. That they are important anytime. While technically and mathematically one can't disagree (well I'm sure you'll find those on this board who would disagree), it seems like there really is a difference in WHEN the free throws are made. If B.J. misses the FT early in the game then at least he has the remainder in the game to make up for it. When you have to make FT at the end of the game to ice the game, it just seems like they are more important. You really need them then.

But, in terms of just numbers, you are correct.

Break & Run

Quote from: elksnort on February 17, 2013, 01:09:11 pm
My wife was a good basketball player in HS and shot free throws at 85%. She said her old coach said basically the same thing you are saying about making the free throws. That they are important anytime. While technically and mathematically one can't disagree (well I'm sure you'll find those on this board who would disagree), it seems like there really is a difference in WHEN the free throws are made. If B.J. misses the FT early in the game then at least he has the remainder in the game to make up for it. When you have to make FT at the end of the game to ice the game, it just seems like they are more important. You really need them then.

Arkansas shot like 58% from the FT line yesterday.  That was harsh.  There's a reason they're called FREE throws.  Hell, I'm not a good basketball player at all but I can make 80% of my free throws.  There's techniques that are taught to get your body and feet lined up perfectly to knock down free throws.

Just ask Dirk Nowitski, he knows how to make 'em.  In their championship run 2 years ago, he made like 98 free throws in a row between the end of the season and the Finals.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

rude1

Quote from: elksnort on February 17, 2013, 01:09:11 pm

There are good free throw shooters, then there are clutch free throw shooters. You can have an 80% free throw shooter who misses come in clutch time. Ideally you would love to make them all, that's not going to happen, so you would like to have players who can step up and knock them down in the last seconds of the game when it's winning time.

razobak

Quote from: Razor6 on February 16, 2013, 11:15:14 pm
#11 and #33

Please play 1 more year!

I agree for two reasons.  One, I want to watch them in a Hog uni for one more year because I think if they come back, we have a chance to be special next year.  Two, I REALLY don't want to see what happened to Scotty Thurman happen to them.  I'm not sure either of them is 100% ready for the next level, and barring injury next year, I think both could really benefit from one more year in college.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

elksnort

Quote from: rude1 on February 17, 2013, 01:15:28 pm
There are good free throw shooters, then there are clutch free throw shooters. You can have an 80% free throw shooter who misses come in clutch time. Ideally you would love to make them all, that's not going to happen, so you would like to have players who can step up and knock them down in the last seconds of the game when it's winning time.
You made the distinction clearly as I was trying to do.

Break & Run

Quote from: razobak on February 17, 2013, 01:17:57 pm
I agree for two reasons.  One, I want to watch them in a Hog uni for one more year because I think if they come back, we have a chance to be special next year.  Two, I REALLY don't want to see what happened to Scotty Thurman happen to them.  I'm not sure either of them is 100% ready for the next level, and barring injury next year, I think both could really benefit from one more year in college.

Powell won't be coming back.  He's not going to the NBA either.  He's going to be an elite Europe pro player and still will be making more than most of us make.  He's been out of high school almost 6 years now so he'll be leaving.

Young needs to come back.  He's 6'4" but plays like he's 6'1" because of his lack of strength.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

rude1

Quote from: The Mafia on February 17, 2013, 01:27:41 pm
Powell won't be coming back.  He's not going to the NBA either.  He's going to be an elite Europe pro player and still will be making more than most of us make.  He's been out of high school almost 6 years now so he'll be leaving.

Young needs to come back.  He's 6'4" but plays like he's 6'1" because of his lack of strength.
Agree. Powell is probably gone because of his age and he probably feels his pro clock ticking. BJ on the other hand IMO is really a 4 year player. Unless there is a really weak draft, I can't see a GM willing to take him with a lottery pick, with a jump shot that looks as bad as his does. BJ is a slasher only, and he isn't going to be getting to the rim at the next level like he is in college. Add to that he isn't the most willing defender and he just isn't that attractive of a pro prospect.

Think Ronnie Brewer. Brewer was a slasher with an ugly shot, BUT Brewer was a lock down defender, and he is a strong 6'7" player. BJ is none of that.

LRHog234

Every time BJ gets the ball with under 2 minutes remaining the only thing I can think is "Get the ball out of his hands"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: LRHog234 on February 17, 2013, 03:48:52 pm
Every time BJ gets the ball with under 2 minutes remaining the only thing I can think is "Get the ball out of his hands"
Why? He is the only one who can get his own shot consistently
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

denimchicken

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2013, 06:12:51 pm
His free throws have like 0 arc to them. It always looks like he's throwing the ball straight at the rim.
"You can't do backflips, you don't know karate, you're white trash." - Charlie Kelly

Smithian

Quote from: LRHog234 on February 17, 2013, 03:48:52 pm
Have you watched any home games this season? He was easily the MVP down the stretch yesterday and was huge late in beating Auburn and Oklahoma.

LRHog234

Quote from: Smithian on February 17, 2013, 03:57:54 pm
Have you watched any home games this season? He was easily the MVP down the stretch yesterday and was huge late in beating Auburn and Oklahoma.

Were you there for the Auburn game? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember us having the last shot each time, and BJ holding the ball at the top of the key from 20 seconds to around 7, then running full speed into 3 defenders standing still with their arms straight up. He's incredible when he draws the foul, but infuriating the 2/3 times  he doesn't. Call me crazy but I'd rather see some sort of an offense rather than one man waiting until it's too late and throwing up a prayer every time.