Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New JUCO name - Ty Outlaw

Started by Hawg Red, April 16, 2015, 07:16:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 04:12:55 pm
Fair enough.  I haven't researched the NBA or college rosters for this information.  My impression of the NBA is that it has become an international league in the last 20 years.  Players are being developed all over the world.  It comes as little surprise to me that fewer players are coming from the jucos to the league.  Given the history of jucos (generally, non-qualifiers), one might surmise that more of these players may be skipping college to play overseas... further draining the talent in jucos. 
I apologize...  I didn't check your post history.  I was simply responding to your reply to my Arkansas juco history post as appearing to make jucos a thing of the past and an unlikely bet with fewer players available at that level, etc.

Perhaps like you, I am trying to combat the general idea that people are claiming Mike appears to be in panic mode with these juco offers.  Whether he is or not, I don't think that offering jucos after the underclassmen left shows panic in and of itself.
Again, sorry!  More of a general response to several anti-juco posts that I read.

I don't think Anderson ever panics when he hits the JUCO scene. In fact, I'd say that's a strength of his. I've just tempered my expectations of what a JUCO stud could bring to the table. I'd gladly take a Coty Clarke or Sonny Weems. But most JUCO transfers don't provide that level of production or talent. But, again, Mike has an eye for JUCO talents. Clarke, Ratliffe, Stefan Hannah, etc. But, it should also be noted that several of his recent JUCO targets have not panned out (at least of yet). Atwood, Dickerson, Desmond Lee come to mind. But Jamal Jones was pretty good right away and he was an Anderson target. Don't want to get that can of worms opened up, though. But I trust Mike when it comes to JUCO signings. I think/hope Durham will be much better next year.

Hogz87

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 12:51:10 pm
I'm a little purplexed that Arkansas fans question the benefit of recruiting junior college basketball players.  Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen or more juco players that have made significant contributions to Razorback basketball.

Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Lenzie Howell
Keith Wilson
Robert Sheppard
Isaiah "Butch" Morris
Dwight Stewart
Corey Beck
Roger Crawford
Al Dillard
Sunday Adebayo
Sonny Weems
Cody Clark

I can't remember if all these guys came to Arkansas directly from a juco, but none of them came to Arkansas as freshmen.  There were barriers to their entry into D-I basketball.

Can someone list the juco strikeouts that we have suffered?  I'm sure there are many, but they are probably no greater in number than our disappointments suffered from college freshmen.

I don't believe that the transition to Arkansas from juco is more difficult than the transition from high school.  If the concern with juco players is that the truly good ones only have one year in Fayetteville as a seasoned player, then there is evidence to suggest that the same problem will exist when we attract great high school players to campus.

I find it a bit shortsided to blame the NBA for ruining the college game.  The NBA only takes a handful of NCAA players each year.  In this day and age where talented basketball players have multiple venues to play for a paycheck, I welcome all junior college players that can improve the Razorbacks.

Ty, if you're ready to play some major college basketball, the University of Arkansas welcomes your arrival.

GO HOGS!
I was about to say, we have to pretty recent JUCO players that came to Arkansas and made pretty good contributions.  Clarke wasn't spectacular, but he was more than solid for us as a senior, and of course Weems turned into one of the best players in the SEC by his senior season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 04:12:55 pm
Fair enough.  I haven't researched the NBA or college rosters for this information.  My impression of the NBA is that it has become an international league in the last 20 years.  Players are being developed all over the world.  It comes as little surprise to me that fewer players are coming from the jucos to the league.  Given the history of jucos (generally, non-qualifiers), one might surmise that more of these players may be skipping college to play overseas... further draining the talent in jucos. 
I apologize...  I didn't check your post history.  I was simply responding to your reply to my Arkansas juco history post as appearing to make jucos a thing of the past and an unlikely bet with fewer players available at that level, etc.

Perhaps like you, I am trying to combat the general idea that people are claiming Mike appears to be in panic mode with these juco offers.  Whether he is or not, I don't think that offering jucos after the underclassmen left shows panic in and of itself.
Again, sorry!  More of a general response to several anti-juco posts that I read.

I know you and Red are in a conversation but I'll just add my view.  I don't think Mike is in a panic.  His m.o. since he became a head coach is to reach into the JC's with some being bigger reaches than others.  And I don't see how this late signing period is any different for him than any other.  Taking out the Portis and Qualls departures, I could still see him pursuing JC players and athletic projects to fill Babb's spot.  IMO, he would be doing this even if he had known months ago he had an opening to fill.  So I don't see a panic.  I see a staff doing what they do. 

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 04:27:37 pm
Why would I need recent examples? Obviously the Hogs have had success with JUCOs in recent years, just not to the degree Nolan did. That was point. Most JUCOs aren't brought in with the intent to be difference-makers like they once were. Doesn't mean you can't still get solid players or even NBA players. It's just less likely, which is why I said it's not as easy to project how a JUCO kid will do these days.

And Nolan's JC's had success playing alongside McD AA's.  Nolan had multiple McD AA on every team from 87 - 99 except one - 92-93 team with only Corliss. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 17, 2015, 04:30:17 pm
Just looking at two years back at the top 50 JUCO prospects in 2013 you have a long list of kids making major contributions to big programs; Chris Jones (Louisville before being kicked out), Yannick Moreira (SMU), Jameel McKay (ISU), Darius Carter (Wichita State), Kenny Cherry (Baylor), Elgin Cook (Oregeon), Delon Wright (Utah), Dustin Hogue (ISU), Octavius Ellis (Cincy), Cameron Forte (UGA), Jonathan Holton (WVU), CJ Washington (UAB).  Still a lot of talent in the JUCO ranks.

Right. Just not nearly as much as there were in the decades during which Arkansas was having such great success with JUCO players. There's 11 players in the NBA that have played JUCO ball. Without checking (though I will at some point in the next week for my own edification), I bet that number was at least double in 1995.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: poloprince on April 17, 2015, 02:41:19 pm
Dusty Hannahs

True but also not a question worth dignifying with a response.

Hawg4life33

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 04:34:39 pm
Right. Just not nearly as much as there were in the decades during which Arkansas was having such great success with JUCO players. There's 11 players in the NBA that have played JUCO ball. Without checking (though I will at some point in the next week for my own edification), I bet that number was at least double in 1995.

I would like to know that too. I think there is a little bit of nostalgia with these old teams. They were obviously great teams that competed on a national level but how many JUCOs that played for Nolan even came close to sniffing the NBA?  Corey Beck, likely the closest as I think he had a cup of coffee with the Hornets, had Arkansas career averages of 8 points, 4 assists and 2 steals. Clint and Dwight both averaged about 7-8 points a game.  Nolan used Jucos as complementary pieces around the studs like Day, Mayberry, Williamson, etc.  I don't think there is a massive talent difference between then and now.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 17, 2015, 04:45:55 pm
I would like to know that too. I think there is a little bit of nostalgia with these old teams. They were obviously great teams that competed on a national level but how many JUCOs that played for Nolan even came close to sniffing the NBA?  Corey Beck, likely the closest as I think he had a cup of coffee with the Hornets, had Arkansas career averages of 8 points, 4 assists and 2 steals. Clint and Dwight both averaged about 7-8 points a game.  Nolan used Jucos as complementary pieces around the studs like Day, Mayberry, Williamson, etc.  I don't think there is a massive talent difference between then and now.

Isiah Morris played in the NBA and he was a juco.  It was only for one season.

NLRHog92

Originally signed with UNC Greensboro out of high school, transferred to get more exposure, which he's doing just that. CMA visiting Tuesday, hope he can see the PT available on a big stage and we can reel him in!  :razorback:

Van Boarisson

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 19, 2015, 09:34:59 pm
Originally signed with UNC Greensboro out of high school, transferred to get more exposure, which he's doing just that. CMA visiting Tuesday, hope he can see the PT available on a big stage and we can reel him in!  :razorback:

Where did you see CMA was visiting him Tues? TIA.

NLRHog92

rude1

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 19, 2015, 09:55:58 pm
RD's Sunday bits! http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/apr/19/sund/
"Coach Mike Anderson and assistant coach T.J. Anderson".

With assistant coach T.J. Anderson on the scene, he should be ours for sure.....

-Blu

Quote from: rude1 on April 19, 2015, 10:06:45 pm

With assistant coach T.J. Anderson on the scene, he should be ours for sure.....

LOL, nice catch, I didn't even notice that.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on April 19, 2015, 10:06:45 pm

So Mike's finally shaking up the staff ???

nwahogfan1