Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New JUCO name - Ty Outlaw

Started by Hawg Red, April 16, 2015, 07:16:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Just saw on Twitter. On my phone, so incomplete info. Lee College (a top JUCO).

Brad Winton is a must-follow for JUCO news.

Sounds like a guy that doesn't follow the rules.

Danny J

He has offers from USF and Va tech. He is also being looked at by many other big time schools. He has high interest in Us, WVU, Kansas, Oregon, OSU, etc....

Hawg Red

The tweet says he's taking an official to Va Tech and that Kansas and Hogs are involved.

Danny J

Going to be totally honest here....maybe it is the pessimist in me but I would be shocked if we end up signing a guy like this. No ties to the staff or the state that I can find. I simply have no faith in our assistants ability to recruit....at all.

ra2ford

We don't need JUCO's  -  We need our own in state MVP's (Goodwin & Allen) and we need 5 Stars.

lefty08

Quote from: ra2ford on April 16, 2015, 07:24:43 pm
We don't need JUCO's  -  We need our own in state MVP's (Goodwin & Allen) and we need 5 Stars.

And you need to let it go. MA didn't want Allen, Allen didn't want to be a hog. Life goes on
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HOGINTENNESSEE

Atlhogfan1

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/players/tyroneoutlawr4za

43.5% 3pt shooter

Not sure I trust all of the stats.  13 mpg but 454 FGA's and 145 FT's? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Athog

We need good players no matter where they are from. Do not have a small mind.

z1on

The only schools getting multiple 5 stars in the same class are blue bloods and schools that cheat (Stansbury at Texas aTm) or teams that hire a god father to land Ben Simmons (LSU). We just need to focus on getting top 50 players, mostly 4 stars with the occasional 1 and done mixed in like Monk.
I wish one of our assistants would get hired at a mid major or let go, so we could bring in an elite recruiter.

-Blu

He would be a very solid pick-up.  He's a guy we could bring in and start at the 3 spot immediately and bring in scoring.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 08:38:29 pm
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/players/tyroneoutlawr4za

43.5% 3pt shooter

Not sure I trust all of the stats.  13 mpg but 454 FGA's and 145 FT's?

This article, which is probably more accurate than that site (It's messed up alot).   Says he averaged 23.4 PPG 55% from the field and 50.7% from 3.  Showing heavy interest from schools like Kansas, Ok State, WV, Oregon, and Mizzou.  This is the type of guy we need to bring in.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/504608?referrer_id=1424455

z1on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZ71H5PNCQ

highlights from his senior year in high school. He would be a perfect fit for this system. Sign him up.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 16, 2015, 10:58:52 pm
This article, which is probably more accurate than that site (It's messed up alot).   Says he averaged 23.4 PPG 55% from the field and 50.7% from 3.  Showing heavy interest from schools like Kansas, Ok State, WV, Oregon, and Mizzou.  This is the type of guy we need to bring in.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/504608?referrer_id=1424455

50% from 3?  Not sure I'm trusting these sites.  Durham had impressive stats as well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 11:02:02 pm
50% from 3?  Not sure I'm trusting these sites.  Durham had impressive stats as well.

Brad Winton with jucorecruiting is the JUCO guy, nobody knows JUCO stuff better than him.  Unless he comes back later and says that was a typo I would trust his info.

As far as Durham, you can't use him as the standard for judging all JUCO guys, some guys live up to the expectations some don't, that's with high school, prep, juco, and transfers.  I will say that Durham didn't have schools like Kansas looking at him.  At this point in the late period getting a guy that at least has the ability that he does would be a very solid pickup.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 16, 2015, 11:25:40 pm
Brad Winton with jucorecruiting is the JUCO guy, nobody knows JUCO stuff better than him.  Unless he comes back later and says that was a typo I would trust his info.

As far as Durham, you can't use him as the standard for judging all JUCO guys, some guys live up to the expectations some don't, that's with high school, prep, juco, and transfers.  I will say that Durham didn't have schools like Kansas looking at him.  At this point in the late period getting a guy that at least has the ability that he does would be a very solid pickup.

I'm not using him as the standard.  He lived up to about what I expected in his first season. 

I'm not knocking Outlaw either and I'm aware Lee produces D1 players. 

What are his abilities besides perhaps 3pt shooting? 

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 11:29:13 pm
I'm not using him as the standard.  He lived up to about what I expected in his first season. 

I'm not knocking Outlaw either and I'm aware Lee produces D1 players. 

What are his abilities besides perhaps 3pt shooting?

He's very athletic and has good instincts to go along with it which is nice from what I saw. Go click on the video and you can see for yourself. He'd be a perfect fit.

I'd love to get Him and Frazier. I think if we could possibly get both of these guys it would be huge.

Iwastherein1969

JUCO must be exceptional....I'd rather have a so-so year and recruit HS players than to get all hopped up in JUCO players...remember, they are playing JUCO for a reason..and most of the time its not a good reason....the kid did not only shoot he did look to pass which is a good sign...his body is "cut high", which means he has a high waistline and long legs instead of vice versa..who knows, if Mikey wants him and we can get him, I'm on board
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogimus Prime

Looks like could be a good pick up along with a Frazier or another 3/slasher type, then save the last spot for 2016.  Try and get Monk, Fisher and Macon guard wise then a couple of bigs.

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 11:02:02 pm
To be fair, Durham's career is not done here. He did not look good last season, but a lot of JUCO players have a transition year.

HogInThaGrove

Same height as Michael Qualls.  Looks to have about the same hops as well.  Couple of those dunks he was close to hitting his head on the rim.  Looks to like playing defense as well.  And from his HS video it seems he has better handles already than Qualls had.  Not knocking Qualls, you don't replace heart and determination and guts like that, just saying this kid looks to have a solid skill set and fairly good all around game.  Sign him up. 

JackJohnson

How does he compare talent wise to similar sized/skilled JC Wings we chased last Spring in Devaughn Purcell and Desmond Lee?  Or even players like Willie Atwood or Trey Dickerson?

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: jry04 on April 17, 2015, 08:17:39 am
To be fair, Durham's career is not done here. He did not look good last season, but a lot of JUCO players have a transition year.
The guy from Ole Miss had no problem coming in and scoring right away ..

Hawg Red

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 17, 2015, 09:40:34 am
How does he compare talent wise to similar sized/skilled JC Wings we chased last Spring in Devaughn Purcell and Desmond Lee?  Or even players like Willie Atwood or Trey Dickerson?

The thing about JUCOs is, I don't think anyone can really say with any kind of certainty. They're unpredictable. Atwood didn't do much, Dickerson ended up transferring out of Iowa, Lee went from 24 MPG as a junior to 8 MPG as a senior, and Purcell had a pretty good year for Illinois State. The expectation level for a JUCO should be relatively low.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on April 17, 2015, 09:41:41 am

And that's one guy. He's certainly not representative of how most JUCOs produce. He also played D1 ball as a freshman at FAU.

WarPig88

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on April 17, 2015, 09:41:41 am

There are literally a ton of JUCOs that come into D1 every season. MOST take a year to acclimate.

Pretty much how it is.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on April 17, 2015, 08:17:39 am

I know and I agree. 

Again, I'm not saying anything negative about Outlaw.  If the staff offers, I trust them.  He may be a great fit and would help.  I'm just skeptical of reported JC stats.  Has nothing to do with the player.  According to one site, only 8 players since 97-98 season have shot at least 50% from 3 for a season in D1.  He would be a terrific shooter if he is capable of approaching that. 

skinnypig

any relation to Travis Outlaw?

Hawg Red

Quote from: skinnypig on April 17, 2015, 11:04:04 am
any relation to Travis Outlaw?

Says he's from North Carolina and Travis was from Starkville. But who knows.

skinnypig

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 11:05:32 am
Says he's from North Carolina and Travis was from Starkville. But who knows.
ok I couldn't remember where Travis was from. Just remember we recruited him pretty hard back in the early 2000's Went straight to NBA if I'm thinking right

Hawg Red

Quote from: skinnypig on April 17, 2015, 11:13:19 am
ok I couldn't remember where Travis was from. Just remember we recruited him pretty hard back in the early 2000's Went straight to NBA if I'm thinking right

Yes. Committed to Miss. State but went straight to the pros.

ArkansasI

I'm a little purplexed that Arkansas fans question the benefit of recruiting junior college basketball players.  Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen or more juco players that have made significant contributions to Razorback basketball.

Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Lenzie Howell
Keith Wilson
Robert Sheppard
Isaiah "Butch" Morris
Dwight Stewart
Corey Beck
Roger Crawford
Al Dillard
Sunday Adebayo
Sonny Weems
Cody Clark

I can't remember if all these guys came to Arkansas directly from a juco, but none of them came to Arkansas as freshmen.  There were barriers to their entry into D-I basketball.

Can someone list the juco strikeouts that we have suffered?  I'm sure there are many, but they are probably no greater in number than our disappointments suffered from college freshmen.

I don't believe that the transition to Arkansas from juco is more difficult than the transition from high school.  If the concern with juco players is that the truly good ones only have one year in Fayetteville as a seasoned player, then there is evidence to suggest that the same problem will exist when we attract great high school players to campus.

I find it a bit shortsided to blame the NBA for ruining the college game.  The NBA only takes a handful of NCAA players each year.  In this day and age where talented basketball players have multiple venues to play for a paycheck, I welcome all junior college players that can improve the Razorbacks.

Ty, if you're ready to play some major college basketball, the University of Arkansas welcomes your arrival.

GO HOGS!

Hawg Red

April 17, 2015, 12:58:23 pm #33 Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:15:01 pm by Hawg Red
Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 12:51:10 pm
I'm a little purplexed that Arkansas fans question the benefit of recruiting junior college basketball players.  Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen or more juco players that have made significant contributions to Razorback basketball.

Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Lenzie Howell
Keith Wilson
Robert Sheppard
Isaiah "Butch" Morris
Dwight Stewart
Corey Beck
Roger Crawford
Al Dillard
Sunday Adebayo
Sonny Weems
Cody Clark

I can't remember if all these guys came to Arkansas directly from a juco, but none of them came to Arkansas as freshmen.  There were barriers to their entry into D-I basketball.

Can someone list the juco strikeouts that we have suffered?  I'm sure there are many, but they are probably no greater in number than our disappointments suffered from college freshmen.

I don't believe that the transition to Arkansas from juco is more difficult than the transition from high school.  If the concern with juco players is that the truly good ones only have one year in Fayetteville as a seasoned player, then there is evidence to suggest that the same problem will exist when we attract great high school players to campus.

I find it a bit shortsided to blame the NBA for ruining the college game.  The NBA only takes a handful of NCAA players each year.  In this day and age where talented basketball players have multiple venues to play for a paycheck, I welcome all junior college players that can improve the Razorbacks.

Ty, if you're ready to play some major college basketball, the University of Arkansas welcomes your arrival.

GO HOGS!

Most of those names are from decades ago. The quality of JUCO athletes is not what it used to be because schools have gotten better at getting kids eligible out of HS. The quality simply isn't there anymore.

lefty08

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 12:51:10 pm

Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Lenzie Howell
Keith Wilson
Robert Sheppard
Isaiah "Butch" Morris
Dwight Stewart
Corey Beck
Roger Crawford
Al Dillard
Sunday Adebayo
Sonny Weems
Cody Clark

GO HOGS!

It's my opinion most on here complaining about the recruiting are early 20s or younger, most have no clue who those guys are
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Atlhogfan1

It's beneficial to recruit JC's to fill immediate needs, find role players and balance roster classes.  A few may become college stars like a Chris Porter.  But again, an example from the now somewhat distant past. 

I think the view from many of our fans is "blah" or "okay" when it comes to JC recruits and this staff.  They have found help going back to when they were at UAB and then Mizzou.  Our restrictions are a little tougher which makes our pool of potential JC signees smaller.  I don't doubt our staff can find players that can help.  Clarke helped.  Durham helped a little and maybe will more next season.  Outlaw may would very well step in and help. 

Our program needs "stars".  It needs difference makers who elevates teams from mediocrity to opportunities for high levels of success.  Perhaps War is right in trying to temper expectations.  I don't totally agree with him.  But in the last 20 years, we have only had 2 of those types of players - Joe and Bobby.  The first time Joe played in a college game it was obvious he was going to be different from almost anyone else on the court nearly every game.  Bobby became a player this past season where he was often the best player on the court.  Getting JC help or transfers who can help is great.  Every team needs them and this staff knows their system and what they should be looking for in help.  And they may very well find it this late signing period.  But you can't expect it to excite the fans.

The 2016 class is the big opportunity for the staff. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 12:58:23 pm
Most of those names are from decades ago. The quality of JUCO athletes is not what it uses to be because schools have gotten better at getting kids eligible out of HS. The quality simply isn't there anymore.
Making broad general statements condemning classes of recruits isn't persuasive to me.  Tell me that the players that we're offering can't play.  Otherwise, if there are good players to be had from the juco ranks, then we should recruit them.

Which highly rated prepsters are going to be so committed to playing for Arkansas that they will wait for an Arkansas LOI until after underclassmen declare their intentions?  Would Arkansas have asked Jimmy Whitt to wait until Bobby declared for the draft to sign his LOI?

Isn't this the reason we don't have 4-5 freshmen signed?

Calipari's system works with a bunch of McDonald's All-Americans.  I am sickened by the fact that he is now in the College Basketball Hall of Fame - despite the probations that follow in his wake, his methods have been endorsed by media everywhere and the NCAA. 

The Hogs will never have such a system in place.  Mike's a better man than that.  If our greatest problem is that we have to sign a few jucos because a couple underclassmen have an opportunity to get paid to play, then so be it.  We'll suffer a bit of a bumpy ride this time of year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 01:57:44 pm
Making broad general statements condemning classes of recruits isn't persuasive to me.  Tell me that the players that we're offering can't play.  Otherwise, if there are good players to be had from the juco ranks, then we should recruit them.

Which highly rated prepsters are going to be so committed to playing for Arkansas that they will wait for an Arkansas LOI until after underclassmen declare their intentions?  Would Arkansas have asked Jimmy Whitt to wait until Bobby declared for the draft to sign his LOI?

Isn't this the reason we don't have 4-5 freshmen signed?

Calipari's system works with a bunch of McDonald's All-Americans.  I am sickened by the fact that he is now in the College Basketball Hall of Fame - despite the probations that follow in his wake, his methods have been endorsed by media everywhere and the NCAA. 

The Hogs will never have such a system in place.  Mike's a better man than that.  If our greatest problem is that we have to sign a few jucos because a couple underclassmen have an opportunity to get paid to play, then so be it.  We'll suffer a bit of a bumpy ride this time of year.

What broad, general statement did I make condemning classes of recruits?

lc480

Is there not any white kids that can play Basketball?

poloprince

Quote from: lc480 on April 17, 2015, 02:38:19 pm

Dusty Hannahs
$PoLoPrInCe$

ArkansasI

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 02:11:16 pm
What broad, general statement did I make condemning classes of recruits?
Sorry about that...  I consider the following statements a broad and general condemnation of juco players:

"The quality of JUCO athletes is not what it used to be because schools have gotten better at getting kids eligible out of HS.  The quality simply isn't there anymore."

I don't know what support you have for these statements.  I thought that the reason Arkansas doesn't pursue more jucos is because it was tough to get them enrolled with SEC standards - at least that's what I've read on this board.

Also, I don't know much about the quality of juco basketball, but the broad statement that there isn't much quality to be obtained from the juco ranks is not justification for condemning any offer we may have extended to a juco.

I haven't seen any recruits play.  Perhaps Ty (and our other juco offers) are high quality players.  Condemning going after jucos because we've had a few underclassmen leave doesn't hold water with me.  The decision makes sense, assuming these guys can play.  A lot of people on the board are bashing Mike for these late offers - sounds to me like he's doing his job.

Hawg4life33

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 12:58:23 pm
Most of those names are from decades ago. The quality of JUCO athletes is not what it used to be because schools have gotten better at getting kids eligible out of HS. The quality simply isn't there anymore.

Fact is we haven't dipped into the JUCO ranks much over the last decade. Off the top of my head we've hit pretty well on Delvon Johnson, Sonny Weems and Coty Clarke.  We have missed on Marvell Waithe, Jemal Farmer and Montrell McDonald (dismissed).  With Durham the jury still out on.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 03:05:06 pm
Sorry about that...  I consider the following statements a broad and general condemnation of juco players:

"The quality of JUCO athletes is not what it used to be because schools have gotten better at getting kids eligible out of HS.  The quality simply isn't there anymore."

I don't know what support you have for these statements.  I thought that the reason Arkansas doesn't pursue more jucos is because it was tough to get them enrolled with SEC standards - at least that's what I've read on this board.

My support is the decline in professional basketball players that have passed through the JUCO ranks. Also, the decline in top college players that have passed through the JUCO ranks. And that's across college basketball, not just the SEC. Compare NBA rosters from 20 years go to today's rosters. Like I said, schools and coaches have just gotten much better at getting kids qualified out of HS. I'm not saying there aren't good players at JUCOs right now, I'm saying it's not like it used to be. Not like it used to be back in the day when Nolan (and other coaches) were having great success with JUCO players.

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 03:05:06 pmAlso, I don't know much about the quality of juco basketball, but the broad statement that there isn't much quality to be obtained from the juco ranks is not justification for condemning any offer we may have extended to a juco.

Have I condemn any offer we've extended to a JUCO? I'm the one who started the thread. I started another thread with a list of JUCO players we might recruit. I'm failing to see how I've put down any potential JUCO recruits. I guess thinking that the overall quality of talent in JUCO now is lower than 20+ years ago is condemning players? Whatever.

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 17, 2015, 03:05:06 pmI haven't seen any recruits play.  Perhaps Ty (and our other juco offers) are high quality players.  Condemning going after jucos because we've had a few underclassmen leave doesn't hold water with me.  The decision makes sense, assuming these guys can play.  A lot of people on the board are bashing Mike for these late offers - sounds to me like he's doing his job.

Again, what the hell are you talking about? I started this thread to spread word that we're interested in this kid. I haven't bashed any JUCO recruit. In any way.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 17, 2015, 03:09:51 pm
Fact is we haven't dipped into the JUCO ranks much over the last decade. Off the top of my head we've hit pretty well on Delvon Johnson, Sonny Weems and Coty Clarke.  We have missed on Marvell Waithe, Jemal Farmer and Montrell McDonald (dismissed).  With Durham the jury still out on.

Yeah. I know. What's your point?

Hawg Red

Prep schools also divert talent away from JUCOs now.

lefty08

Quote from: lc480 on April 17, 2015, 02:38:19 pm

It's "are there not"

ArkansasI

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 03:19:40 pm
My support is the decline in professional basketball players that have passed through the JUCO ranks. Also, the decline in top college players that have passed through the JUCO ranks. And that's across college basketball, not just the SEC. Compare NBA rosters from 20 years go to today's rosters. Like I said, schools and coaches have just gotten much better at getting kids qualified out of HS. I'm not saying there aren't good players at JUCOs right now, I'm saying it's not like it used to be. Not like it used to be back in the day when Nolan (and other coaches) were having great success with JUCO players.
Fair enough.  I haven't researched the NBA or college rosters for this information.  My impression of the NBA is that it has become an international league in the last 20 years.  Players are being developed all over the world.  It comes as little surprise to me that fewer players are coming from the jucos to the league.  Given the history of jucos (generally, non-qualifiers), one might surmise that more of these players may be skipping college to play overseas... further draining the talent in jucos. 

Have I condemn any offer we've extended to a JUCO? I'm the one who started the thread. I started another thread with a list of JUCO players we might recruit. I'm failing to see how I've put down any potential JUCO recruits. I guess thinking that the overall quality of talent in JUCO now is lower than 20+ years ago is condemning players? Whatever.
I apologize...  I didn't check your post history.  I was simply responding to your reply to my Arkansas juco history post as appearing to make jucos a thing of the past and an unlikely bet with fewer players available at that level, etc.

Perhaps like you, I am trying to combat the general idea that people are claiming Mike appears to be in panic mode with these juco offers.  Whether he is or not, I don't think that offering jucos after the underclassmen left shows panic in and of itself.

Again, what the hell are you talking about? I started this thread to spread word that we're interested in this kid. I haven't bashed any JUCO recruit. In any way.
Again, sorry!  More of a general response to several anti-juco posts that I read.

Hawg4life33

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2015, 03:20:17 pm
Yeah. I know. What's your point?

You just said most of the names of Jucos contributing to the Hogs were decades old. I gave you a couple recent examples in the last 6-8 years also showing that we have hit on Jucos more than we have missed recently. Do you want this thread all to yourself or something?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 17, 2015, 04:18:09 pm
You just said most of the names of Jucos contributing to the Hogs were decades old. I gave you a couple recent examples in the last 6-8 years also showing that we have hit on Jucos more than we have missed recently. Do you want this thread all to yourself or something?

Why would I need recent examples? Obviously the Hogs have had success with JUCOs in recent years, just not to the degree Nolan did. That was point. Most JUCOs aren't brought in with the intent to be difference-makers like they once were. Doesn't mean you can't still get solid players or even NBA players. It's just less likely, which is why I said it's not as easy to project how a JUCO kid will do these days.

Hawg4life33

Just looking at two years back at the top 50 JUCO prospects in 2013 you have a long list of kids making major contributions to big programs; Chris Jones (Louisville before being kicked out), Yannick Moreira (SMU), Jameel McKay (ISU), Darius Carter (Wichita State), Kenny Cherry (Baylor), Elgin Cook (Oregeon), Delon Wright (Utah), Dustin Hogue (ISU), Octavius Ellis (Cincy), Cameron Forte (UGA), Jonathan Holton (WVU), CJ Washington (UAB).  Still a lot of talent in the JUCO ranks.