Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh no! We suck again!

Started by Deep Shoat, April 15, 2015, 07:43:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 20, 2015, 10:13:36 am
So you complained ALL season about an NCAA team.  What would shut you up?

I did not complain all season. Go back and look if you want to be accurate ( not a strong trait here ). When they were playing well, I said as much.

Why does anyone here have to shut up? My opinion is just as valid as all those saying " don't worry everything is fine ". 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2015, 10:35:17 am
I did not complain all season. Go back and look if you want to be accurate ( not a strong trait here ). When they were playing well, I said as much.

Why does anyone here have to shut up? My opinion is just as valid as all those saying " don't worry everything is fine ".
Shut up complaining!  And yes, you did it all season!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 20, 2015, 10:44:30 am
Shut up complaining!  And yes, you did it all season!
You, sir, exaggerate too dang much.  With you, anyone who EVER criticizes Coach A is a "hater" who "complains about a winning team" "all the time". 

Are you such a blind homer that you can't see problems?  The team isn't perfect, CMA isn't perfect.

Now, we've lost our best two players and there SEEMS to be no real plan to replace them.  It APPEARS we are hoping for another JuCo and/or transfer from East West Podunk State Technical College to come in and be our go to guy.  Really?  And you are happy about that?

It may work out.  CMA may have a real plan that we don't see.  We may get back to the NCAAT next season.  But today, going into year 5, it just looks like more of the same.

NIT or bust...
All Gas, No Brakes!

ArkansasI

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2015, 09:33:13 am
Here is what some of us are tired of. We have heard for 4 years, " wait for Mike to get his players and his system installed ". Okay, he has had 4 seasons and 5 recruiting classes. 1 NIT, 1 NCAAT ( with a 1st round win ), and now we are being told, just wait until the 2016 class. Why? Why couldn't he have recruited well enough that, while losing those two is a drop off, they still were a ncaat calibre team?   
This begins to hit my concerns.  Mike has been in and around college basketball his entire adult life.  During 17 years on the bench with Nolan and 13 years on his own, one might expect that Mike would have developed relationships throughout Arkansas, Tulsa, Memphis, east Texas, northern Louisiana, Alabama and Missouri that would sustain Razorback basketball through 2 players turning pro early.

The success of Nolan's era might reasonably have allowed Mike to cultivate relationships throughout the entire country.  I understand that the way things ended with Nolan created certain barriers between our State/University and certain players.  However, Mike's return to Fayetteville should allow his relationships to overcome those obstacles.

Yet, the evidence suggests that the basketball community has never embraced what Nolan and Mike do best.  I have no idea why...  This system won a national championship starting 1 McDonald's All-American from Arkansas, a pretty highly rated guard from Tulsa, a lightly recruited northern Louisiana guard-forward, and 2 Memphis jucos (Yes, I know Ken Biley started the national championship game).  That's a fine line-up, but it was nothing like what Duke put on the floor in 1994.

Isn't this proof that the system works?  So why don't players flock to this system/coach?  When Mike walks into a recruit's home, one would hope that excitement would overflow.

Why isn't that happening?  Kids would rather play for John Calipari, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Bill Self, Mike Kzsytiatkyfdjkdslfkg, etc.  The Arkansas Razorbacks are the direct legacy of Nolan Richardson.  What message isn't being delivered?  Or if it is being delivered, why doesn't it sell?

I'm fired up about the two recruits that are coming to the Hill.  It's time to stand toe to toe with the competition and provide the compelling argument that brings players to Fayetteville.  Maybe this is happening and I just don't know it.  I hope so.

If it isn't happening, 30 years in the business is plenty enough to eliminate any excuse that may be offered.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 20, 2015, 11:00:03 am
You, sir, exaggerate too dang much.  With you, anyone who EVER criticizes Coach A is a "hater" who "complains about a winning team" "all the time". 

Are you such a blind homer that you can't see problems?  The team isn't perfect, CMA isn't perfect.

Now, we've lost our best two players and there SEEMS to be no real plan to replace them.  It APPEARS we are hoping for another JuCo and/or transfer from East West Podunk State Technical College to come in and be our go to guy.  Really?  And you are happy about that?

It may work out.  CMA may have a real plan that we don't see.  We may get back to the NCAAT next season.  But today, going into year 5, it just looks like more of the same.

NIT or bust...
Evidently I'm illiterate too because hogsanity complained all season.  There's this thingy called " post history" if you don't wanna take my word!  Never once said anything about "haters".  Peronally, I think it's a stupid phrase! You two do a lot of complaining tho.  Talk about exaggerating!  Your retort is full of them!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 20, 2015, 11:03:36 am
Yet, the evidence suggests that the basketball community has never embraced what Nolan and Mike do best.

You're overreaching with that statement. Why are you treating Arkansas as some kind of special case? What system MA coaches and whom he recruits are separate issues. His recruiting success should not be attributed to/blamed on anything MA learned from Nolan. When MA decides his coaching staff should be selected more on recruiting ability, he'll do better than he is now. Until then, expect more of the same.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2015, 11:09:51 am
You're overreaching with that statement. Why are you treating Arkansas as some kind of special case? What system MA coaches and whom he recruits are separate issues. His recruiting success should not be attributed to/blamed on anything MA learned from Nolan. When MA decides his coaching staff should be selected more on recruiting ability, he'll do better than he is now. Until then, expect more of the same.
Is it really that simple?  I have read many claims that elite players don't want to play for this system because it limits floortime.  I don't know if that is true, but it seems to be the best explanation as to why the program wasn't recruiting itself when we were playing on ESPN twice a week in the 1990s.

Arkansas is a special case in the sense that I know of no other program that has embraced Nolan's ideology.  We've seen it work, yet Nolan never left Arkansas for the NBA and Nolan never - to my knowledge - got a chance to coach college basketball after Arkansas.

Is it so unreasonable to wonder that this system has not been embraced by the people that influence college player decisions?  What other assumption is there to make? 

Mike is 30 years (32 if you include his playing time at Tulsa) into this project.  He is reasonably successful.  Yet, he can't pull a single McDonald's All-American talent from anywhere.  We're not in the discussion.

I'm sure that the assistant coaches could be upgraded.  But I'm not certain that it's that simple.

hogsanity

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 20, 2015, 11:00:03 am

NIT or bust...

And here is the problem with the juco route. Lets say he does manage to get a couple good juco guys with tow years eligibility. And lets say he lands Monk next year. The 2016/17 team is going to be full of SR's and a one and done guy.

It seems Mike has a real problem with player management. His teams are always lopsided class wise, so that he has these huge talent gaps like he is facing right now. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 20, 2015, 11:29:34 am
Mike is 30 years (32 if you include his playing time at Tulsa) into this project.  He is reasonably successful.  Yet, he can't pull a single McDonald's All-American talent from anywhere.  We're not in the discussion.

What kind of a criterion is that? McD's or bust? That's garbage. Plenty of schools recruit well without ever signing one, ever. Irrelevant.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2015, 12:58:57 pm
What kind of a criterion is that? McD's or bust? That's garbage. Plenty of schools recruit well without ever signing one, ever. Irrelevant.
Irrelevant?

Fair enough, I used McDonald's All-Americans as the subjective measurement for recruiting success.  I agree that there are plenty of good players that are not McD AAs.

Now I am scrambling for objective proof that Mike can recruit competitively with elite programs.  Can you help me?  Has Mike ever recruited and signed a single player that had a more elite offer?

Nolan sure did.  Nolan won conference and national championships with some elite talent - including McD AAs.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 20, 2015, 02:09:00 pm
Irrelevant?

Fair enough, I used McDonald's All-Americans as the subjective measurement for recruiting success.  I agree that there are plenty of good players that are not McD AAs.

Now I am scrambling for objective proof that Mike can recruit competitively with elite programs.  Can you help me?  Has Mike ever recruited and signed a single player that had a more elite offer?

Nolan sure did.  Nolan won conference and national championships with some elite talent - including McD AAs.

Bobby Portis was a McDonalds All American so CMA has recruited and signed a McD AA.

latrops

Here is what some of us are tired of. We have heard for 4 years, " wait for Mike to get his players and his system installed ". Okay, he has had 4 seasons and 5 recruiting classes. 1 NIT, 1 NCAAT ( with a 1st round win ), and now we are being told, just wait until the 2016 class. Why? Why couldn't he have recruited well enough that, while losing those two is a drop off, they still were a ncaat calibre team?

Because we aren't an elite program and he isn't an elite recruiter.  It is a fairly short list of coaches/programs that can lose players of Portis and Qualls caliber and immediately replace them with little to no dropoff.  Hopefully we are building toward that, but we aren't there yet.  CMA has recruited well, but replacing our two best players (including one of them somewhat unexpectedly) at the same time is a lot to ask.

Still, we have to see who he brings in this offseason and see how next season plays out.  It is possible that we don't dropoff as much as many are expecting.  Maybe what we lose in offensive efficiency we make up with defense and chemistry.  Maybe one or more out of Durham/Williams/Kingsley thrive in increased roles.  That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

ArkansasI

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 20, 2015, 03:49:55 pm
Bobby Portis was a McDonalds All American so CMA has recruited and signed a McD AA.
Yes, but Bobby is an Arkansan.  McD AA from Arkansas are few and far between.

Nolan built his program with serious talent.  He recruited McD AAs from outside the state - Day, Mayberry, Robinson, Hood, Reid...  These players were important contributors to building and sustaining the program during Nolan's 17 years.  Each may have attracted other talent to the Hill.  Doesn't talent attract talent?  Why do all these kids want to play together at Kentucky/Duke/UNC/Kansas?

These guys also brought stardom/enthusiasm to the program and Razorback fans.  Winning conquers all, but winning usually is made easier with really good players.

Biggus Piggus is right, you can build a winner without successfully recruiting McD AAs.  However, Nolan never had a huge winner without McD AAs on the roster.  Next year, Mike will have -0-.

latrops

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2015, 11:59:00 am
And here is the problem with the juco route. Lets say he does manage to get a couple good juco guys with tow years eligibility. And lets say he lands Monk next year. The 2016/17 team is going to be full of SR's and a one and done guy.

It seems Mike has a real problem with player management. His teams are always lopsided class wise, so that he has these huge talent gaps like he is facing right now.

Would we really have a "huge talent gap" if Qualls hadn't chose to leave early in spite of the fact that he is a borderline NBA prospect?  I just can't really blame Mike for that one....though I am becoming a little concerned about Mike's ability to keep players already on the roster like Qualls and BJ Young.

Whitt, Beard, Kapita, Thompson, plus any non-JUCOs he signs this offseason and everyone he signs next year other than Monk....we should still have a team after 2017.  Roster balance is the least of my concerns right now.

ArkansasI

Quote from: latrops on April 20, 2015, 04:47:19 pm
Would we really have a "huge talent gap" if Qualls hadn't chose to leave early in spite of the fact that he is a borderline NBA prospect?  I just can't really blame Mike for that one....though I am becoming a little concerned about Mike's ability to keep players already on the roster like Qualls and BJ Young.

Whitt, Beard, Kapita, Thompson, plus any non-JUCOs he signs this offseason and everyone he signs next year other than Monk....we should still have a team after 2017.  Roster balance is the least of my concerns right now.
Not directed directly at you latrops... you make a good point.  I am NOT upset at Mike because Michael and Bobby are turning pro.  Their decisions to leave could be good for the program.  And while I'm not sure how much of a drop off we'll have this year, there is no doubt that both of these guys will be missed.  They were great players at Arkansas and contributed to a lot of wins.

I still don't know how much different we look next year.  Bobby's loss had to have been expected.  There are guys that have game similar to Michael Qualls in the program.  The Babb thing - if he's a player - is confounding.

My question is kind of a Georgetown thing.  How is it that Mike can be 30 years into his career - a successful career - and be unable to attract higher profile talent?  That's my only question.  Mike's paid his dues.  He worked his way back into the Arkansas job.  Yet, we don't appear to be recruiting on the level of his success.  We scramble.  A lot.  Kinda like John Thompson III at G-Town.  No where near the success that his father enjoyed.

Different men to be sure.

Smithian

Too much over analysis on this thread.

Hogs have improved talent wise every year under Anderson. Next year they may take a small step back but still have good depth. In theory, the players on the team should improve with increased work loads. Maybe they don't.

It's fun to predict, but too many people are not just making predictions but trying to justify what that result would mean for the program.

I think the Hogs have ability to make the tournament. Lots of depth, but need scoring from current guards and Whitt.

If they don't make the tournament, oh well. Even UNC and Kentucky have missed in recent history. Just need to see competitive play on the court and improvement from the players still on roster.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Smithian on April 20, 2015, 06:54:08 pm

Hogs have improved talent wise every year under Anderson. Next year they may take a small step back but still have good depth. In theory, the players on the team should improve with increased work loads. Maybe they don't.

It's fun to predict, but too many people are not just making predictions but trying to justify what that result would mean for the program.

I think the Hogs have ability to make the tournament. Lots of depth, but need scoring from current guards and Whitt.

If they don't make the tournament, oh well. Even UNC and Kentucky have missed in recent history. Just need to see competitive play on the court and improvement from the players still on roster.
Good post.

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on April 20, 2015, 04:47:19 pm

HE knew going in that Harris and Madden were done, graduating. He knew there was a very good chance Portis would leave. Then he loses Babb. The only real hole should have been the one left by Portis, not easy to replace the secpoty, but the others should have had replacements already on campus, not be scrambling to try to sign guys in April, or relying on incoming FR.

I will never blame a coach for players leaving early to go pro, he can only provide the information he gets about their draft status, and give advice on what staying in school could mean. I am sure Mike did that with both Portis and Qualls. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 20, 2015, 05:01:29 pm
How is it that Mike can be 30 years into his career - a successful career - and be unable to attract higher profile talent?

Jimmy Whitt is high-profile talent. Ted Kapita is too. These are two very good players.

Beyond that - recruiting is a process, not a matter of banking on reputation. Arkansas brings in talent consistent with its level of ambition in recruiting. Not going toe-to-toe for top 100 players except in carefully selected instances. Recruiting to specific needs. Focusing over time on players who fit with the team and are likely to say yes.
[CENSORED]!

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on April 21, 2015, 10:03:26 am
HE knew going in that Harris and Madden were done, graduating. He knew there was a very good chance Portis would leave. Then he loses Babb. The only real hole should have been the one left by Portis, not easy to replace the secpoty, but the others should have had replacements already on campus, not be scrambling to try to sign guys in April, or relying on incoming FR.

I will never blame a coach for players leaving early to go pro, he can only provide the information he gets about their draft status, and give advice on what staying in school could mean. I am sure Mike did that with both Portis and Qualls. 
The void is the last recruiting class, four players signed but virtually only one contributed much of anything to the season.  Unless the three left from it make drastic improvement it could be one of the main reasons why the program makes a bigger slide back than it should.

Breems

I'll tell you what would shut him up.

Slower pace I mean faster pace I mean less scoring I mean more scoring I mean rebounding I mean system.

Straight from the source.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on April 21, 2015, 12:46:34 pm
I'll tell you what would shut him up.

Slower pace I mean faster pace I mean less scoring I mean more scoring I mean rebounding I mean system.

Straight from the source.

Well put. Right on the money. +1

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 20, 2015, 05:01:29 pm
Not directed directly at you latrops... you make a good point.  I am NOT upset at Mike because Michael and Bobby are turning pro.  Their decisions to leave could be good for the program.  And while I'm not sure how much of a drop off we'll have this year, there is no doubt that both of these guys will be missed.  They were great players at Arkansas and contributed to a lot of wins.

I still don't know how much different we look next year.  Bobby's loss had to have been expected.  There are guys that have game similar to Michael Qualls in the program.  The Babb thing - if he's a player - is confounding.

My question is kind of a Georgetown thing.  How is it that Mike can be 30 years into his career - a successful career - and be unable to attract higher profile talent?  That's my only question.  Mike's paid his dues.  He worked his way back into the Arkansas job.  Yet, we don't appear to be recruiting on the level of his success.  We scramble.  A lot.  Kinda like John Thompson III at G-Town.  No where near the success that his father enjoyed.

Different men to be sure.

Some coaches aren't dynamic recruiters and they refuse to do what is necessary to recruit some of these players.  Mike's mentor wouldn't.  Nolan limited himself in some cases in and out of state in the latter years of his tenure at Arkansas with broken relationships and a reluctance to adjust to how recruiting was changing and a refusal to upgrade at an assistant spot.  Mike was of course the lead assistant during this time.  In the early years, Mike was a step up from Notes while Stoglin and Edgar helped Nolan build the program and brand.  They were helped by the family connection with Lee to get him.  Once the brand was built in that era, which was in the middle of college basketball's peak, Arkansas became attractive to recruits.  They left for other opportunities and Mike got promoted.

We didn't know it at the time or pay attention because we were winning a NC and going to F4's and had a legendary, innovative head coach in Nolan leading us but his staff wasn't good.  And Nolan tried to "feed the monster" by continuing to go the JC route and not establishing more relationships in order to recruit high school players.  This of course bit us with the investigation, White, Broyles and Kim Woods incident hurting the program. 

It was during this time Mike was playing a prominent role as lead assistant.  He was a part of an underwhelming staff whom Nolan remained loyal to till the end. It is no wonder Mike has done the same since he became head coach.  It almost seems like an arrogant defiance, stubbornness(which I still say is Mike's biggest flaw and is reminiscent of Nolan as well), that he has headed down the same path.  At UAB and Mizzou, especially UAB, he could get those athletes and academic reaches he and Nolan tried to get to Arkansas, and mold them into his useful players in his system.  They were the likely to say yes types.  Problem for him was there was no longer a brand to sell that Arkansas once had where these reaches and projects could play alongside McD AA's.  Carroll's transfer to Mizzou changed his program and his career at least temporarily.  Not a McD AA but he became a player capable of carrying a college team. 

Now that Mike is back at Arkansas, he is faced with restrictions he wasn't when at UAB or Mizzou.  He is still recruiting as he did back when he was Nolan's assistant: as Biggus says, many recruits who are likely to say yes as there is a connection or Arkansas is arguably their most attractive offer.  Still reaching into the JCs and for athletes/projects some of whom will work out over time every so often.  And is still relying on connections for players like Portis or Whitt who has been friends with Watkins since elementary school. 

This is how he learned to do it.  Take what you can get and hope a star or two ends up in the mix to carry the program.   Remain to loyal to the staff.  It was the main concern from those I talked to who were in or around the program in the past and are very much fans of his.  They didn't know if he and the staff could ever recruit consistently well enough to meet the expectations. 

Not suggesting Mike should cheat and I know he wouldn't.  You have to admire his integrity.  And I agree with how Nolan seemed to detest the shoe company/AAU "game" that had to be played.  I'm also not condemning using connections.  If you have them, use them and do so well which Nolan did and Mike has done as well. 

Given Mike's years in the business and some of his assistants years, it doesn't appear they will change.  Mike learned how to recruit the way he does it now.  Zimmerman had no experience so he has learned from Mike.  TJ has learned from Mike. 

As far as how this current late signing period is going, some seem upset at the level of recruits that appear available to us.  I doubt it would have been different had it been known those 3 scholarships were going to be available.  This is what the staff is.  Outlaw, Dixson, ... this is who the staff recruits.  Kapita is somewhat of an exception. 

Georgetown had a brand built as well during college basketball's peak.  Younger fans today have no idea what Hoya Paranoia is.  It was Calipari and UK but on a much bigger, more iconic level.  They've lost that brand over the years. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 21, 2015, 01:02:22 pm

Some coaches aren't dynamic recruiters and they refuse to do what is necessary to recruit some of these players.  Mike's mentor wouldn't.  Nolan limited himself in some cases in and out of state in the latter years of his tenure at Arkansas with broken relationships and a reluctance to adjust to how recruiting was changing and a refusal to upgrade at an assistant spot.  Mike was of course the lead assistant during this time.  In the early years, Mike was a step up from Notes while Stoglin and Edgar helped Nolan build the program and brand.  They were helped by the family connection with Lee to get him.  Once the brand was built in that era, which was in the middle of college basketball's peak, Arkansas became attractive to recruits.  They left for other opportunities and Mike got promoted.

We didn't know it at the time or pay attention because we were winning a NC and going to F4's and had a legendary, innovative head coach in Nolan leading us but his staff wasn't good.  And Nolan tried to "feed the monster" by continuing to go the JC route and not establishing more relationships in order to recruit high school players.  This of course bit us with the investigation, White, Broyles and Kim Woods incident hurting the program. 

It was during this time Mike was playing a prominent role as lead assistant.  He was a part of an underwhelming staff whom Nolan remained loyal to till the end. It is no wonder Mike has done the same since he became head coach.  It almost seems like an arrogant defiance, stubbornness(which I still say is Mike's biggest flaw and is reminiscent of Nolan as well), that he has headed down the same path.  At UAB and Mizzou, especially UAB, he could get those athletes and academic reaches he and Nolan tried to get to Arkansas, and mold them into his useful players in his system.  They were the likely to say yes types.  Problem for him was there was no longer a brand to sell that Arkansas once had where these reaches and projects could play alongside McD AA's.  Carroll's transfer to Mizzou changed his program and his career at least temporarily.  Not a McD AA but he became a player capable of carrying a college team. 

Now that Mike is back at Arkansas, he is faced with restrictions he wasn't when at UAB or Mizzou.  He is still recruiting as he did back when he was Nolan's assistant: as Biggus says, many recruits who are likely to say yes as there is a connection or Arkansas is arguably their most attractive offer.  Still reaching into the JCs and for athletes/projects some of whom will work out over time every so often.  And is still relying on connections for players like Portis or Whitt who has been friends with Watkins since elementary school. 

This is how he learned to do it.  Take what you can get and hope a star or two ends up in the mix to carry the program.   Remain to loyal to the staff.  It was the main concern from those I talked to who were in or around the program in the past and are very much fans of his.  They didn't know if he and the staff could ever recruit consistently well enough to meet the expectations. 

Not suggesting Mike should cheat and I know he wouldn't.  You have to admire his integrity.  And I agree with how Nolan seemed to detest the shoe company/AAU "game" that had to be played.  I'm also not condemning using connections.  If you have them, use them and do so well which Nolan did and Mike has done as well. 

Given Mike's years in the business and some of his assistants years, it doesn't appear they will change.  Mike learned how to recruit the way he does it now.  Zimmerman had no experience so he has learned from Mike.  TJ has learned from Mike. 

As far as how this current late signing period is going, some seem upset at the level of recruits that appear available to us.  I doubt it would have been different had it been known those 3 scholarships were going to be available.  This is what the staff is.  Outlaw, Dixson, ... this is who the staff recruits.  Kapita is somewhat of an exception. 

Georgetown had a brand built as well during college basketball's peak.  Younger fans today have no idea what Hoya Paranoia is.  It was Calipari and UK but on a much bigger, more iconic level.  They've lost that brand over the years.

...... and somehow the staff is building a program that is consistently winning and garnered the highest NCAA tournament seeding for the Hogs since 1999. What can we blame for that?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

Quote from: Smithian on April 20, 2015, 06:54:08 pm

Never thought I would be doing this......

+1

azhog10

It's truly not worth it. He won't actually admit that he complained about our season, only that he complained about our play. Which he didn't complain about our play as much as he complained about the coaching of CMA. Now we are losing three guys, two to the NBA, and one to transfer and he and others claim they would not be upset IF he would have signed just one more player. Apparently the season rests on the fact that we only signed 2 instead of 3 in the early signing period.

azhog10

Let me make sure I got this right.......
1.)Edgar and Stoglin were the main reasons Nolan was able to get the Arkansas "brand" out to athletes and gain interest in Arkansas.
2.)When they left to pursue "coaching" opportunities Mike was promoted.
3.)When Mike was promoted recruiting and the subsequent downfall of Arkansas began.
4.)Nolan stayed loyal to Mike even though he and the rest of the staff were "underwhelming" and somehow Mike can be attributed to the investigation by Broyles, white, and the U of A.
5.)Mike is still only signing players that are from Arkansas (huge Arkansas fans) and people he has some sort of relationship with i.e. family member or grade school friend.

Reading that would lead me to believe that Edgar and Stoglin had very successful College Coaching Careers and if Mike ever got his opportunity, due to him killing all the momentum that past coaches were able to create. There would be no way that Mike would ever have as successful a coaching career as the other two.

I also had no idea that Kingsley, Kapita, Qualls, and others were related to Mike, or were from Arkansas.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2015, 03:17:09 pm
1.)Edgar and Stoglin were the main reasons Nolan was able to get the Arkansas "brand" out to athletes and gain interest in Arkansas.
3.)When Mike was promoted recruiting and the subsequent downfall of Arkansas began.

Reading that would lead me to believe that Edgar and Stoglin had very successful College Coaching Careers and if Mike ever got his opportunity, due to him killing all the momentum that past coaches were able to create. There would be no way that Mike would ever have as successful a coaching career as the other two.

Based on the stories I've heard from former department officials, we wouldn't have landed players like Day or Big O had it not been for the recruiting 'tactic$' performed through coaches like Stoglin and Edgar. Of course, when they became small school head coaches in the early 90s, their 're$ource$' were far fewer to work with.

That was a different era though. As far as I've ever heard, Mike doe$n't u$e the $ame tactic$. I'm sure Jamal Jones can attest to that.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ArkansasI

Great post.  Thanks for taking the time.

Kapita does appear to be something of an exception to what Mike has recruited in the past.  No known connection, academic risk, etc.  People wonder if he will be healthy enough to play - I'm elated.

Kevin

Edgar has been busted by the ncaa for his recruiting tactics
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

You know, Qualls was deemed a reach by a lot of recruiting reporters. His first season, Qualls had crude skills but managed to contribute more than anyone expected. Qualls did not play much in the first half of the SEC season then averaged close to 20 minutes per game in the second half. I'd take another reach like him right now.

Arkansas recruiting in the past four years:

2011 signees
B.J. Young - one good season, one really weird one, then gone way too early. Development failure.
Ky Madden - steady improvement through four seasons, solid starter last two years.
Devonta Abron - one somewhat promising season and transferred out.
Hunter Mickelson - showed promise as freshman, looked bad as soph, transferred out.

2012 signees
Jacorey Williams - Shot OK as frosh, 40% FG last two years, really horrible at the line now. Rebounding efficiency numbers declined. Ballhandling and defense improved. Strange career trajectory.
Anthlon Bell - Long-range shooting, passing, defense much improved. Didn't shoot well inside the arc this season. Never has shown rebounding ability. Might finally be starting caliber as a senior.
Coty Clarke - Strangely better as a junior than senior out of juco. Lost his inside game as senior, but played an essential role.
Fred Gulley - Oklahoma State transfer never showed finishing ability but sharply improved his passing, ballhandling, defense and outside shooting.
Dee Wagner - Tiny, no special ability, never helped, transferred out.

2013 signees
Alandise Harris - Transfer, never scored as well inside or out, nor rebounded as well, as a Hog as he did at Houston. Maybe it was the difference in competition.
Bobby Portis - Good freshman year, outstanding sophomore year, early exit. Impressive example of big man development.
Moses Kingsley - Regressed on virtually all measures from freshman to sophomore season. Big question mark.
Manny Watkins - Effective role player as soph. Ceiling uncertain.

2014 signees
Anton Beard - Up and down, but promising freshman season.
Jabril Durham - No inside scoring or rebounding contribution, sloppy ballhandler, meager defender, but showed occasional flashes as junior out of juco.
Nick Babb - Sporadic playing time showed only raw potential. Transferred out. Not a success story.
Keaton Miles - Transfer from West Virginia hampered by early injuries, but after that never won playing time. Another question mark.

Compared with this list, Whitt and Kapita look awesome.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 21, 2015, 04:13:13 pm
You know, Qualls was deemed a reach by a lot of recruiting reporters. His first season, Qualls had crude skills but managed to contribute more than anyone expected. Qualls did not play much in the first half of the SEC season then averaged close to 20 minutes per game in the second half. I'd take another reach like him right now.

2011 signees
B.J. Young - one good season, one really weird one, then gone way too early. Development failure.
Ky Madden - steady improvement through four seasons, solid starter last two years.
Hunter Mickelson - showed promise as freshman, looked bad as soph, transferred out.

2012 signees
Jacorey Williams - Shot OK as frosh, 40% FG last two years, really horrible at the line now. Rebounding efficiency numbers declined. Ballhandling and defense improved. Strange career trajectory.
Anthlon Bell - Long-range shooting, passing, defense much improved. Didn't shoot well inside the arc this season. Never has shown rebounding ability. Might finally be starting caliber as a senior.
Coty Clarke - Strangely better as a junior than senior out of juco. Lost his inside game as senior, but played an essential role.
Fred Gulley - Oklahoma State transfer never showed finishing ability but sharply improved his passing, ballhandling, defense and outside shooting.

2013 signees
Alandise Harris - Transfer, never scored as well inside or out, nor rebounded as well, as a Hog as he did at Houston. Maybe it was the difference in competition.
Bobby Portis - Good freshman year, outstanding sophomore year, early exit. Impressive example of big man development.
Moses Kingsley - Regressed on virtually all measures from freshman to sophomore season. Big question mark.

2014 signees
Jabril Durham - No inside scoring or rebounding contribution, sloppy ballhandler, meager defender, but showed occasional flashes as junior out of juco.
Nick Babb - Sporadic playing time showed only raw potential. Transferred out. Not a success story.
Keaton Miles - Transfer from West Virginia hampered by early injuries, but after that never won playing time. Another question mark.

Wow
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Yes they do.

As far as Qualls, if they all worked out like him on the court, we would be good.  Given the up tempo game we want to force, athletes like him are nice "haves" even if they don't develop to the skill level he did. 

I think you will get at least one.   

I'm skipping the inherited class.  In relation to our earlier discussion about recruits "who will say yes":

Qualls - some other offers:  CSF, La Tech, OM, Tenn and rumors of others

Jacorey - Bama, Wash St, host of mid majors including hometown UAB - from Mike and TJ's hometown

Bell - UMass

Clarke - AU, UGa, Miss St - from Mike and TJ's hometown

Wagner - Southland Conference - now at Angelo State

Portis - McD AA - from Ark - same loyalty as DMac and others to his state, the UA and the Hogs, still though can't take it for granted in recruiting, good job by the staff

Kingsley - Louisville and Florida - played on Wings with Portis and Watkins, I still don't know if this was the right program for him but another good job by the staff

Beard - from Ark - UMass and Mizzou

Babb - SMU, Creighton and some solid mid majors - transferred to Iowa St

Durham - Ok St, AU, Marquette - started college in NAIA

Thompson - from Ark - Florida, Memphis, Miss St

Whitt - Mizzou, Illinois, SMU, Marquette - has been close friend with Watkins for years

Kapita - Mizzou, Memphis, Ok St, Oregon
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ArkansasI

2011 signees

2012 signees

2013 signees

2014 signees

Do you laugh - or cry - as you type this stuff?  I'm laughing out loud.  The plain truth in this post is hilarious.

This raw analysis confirms that there are others who see things similar to me.  I wonder what half the coaches in America would do if they had to find real jobs.  Good lord, I watched Northwestern State (Louisiana) come to Fayetteville with a bunch of 6 foot no-name guards and throw a scare into our multi-million dollar enterprise.  They were within 4 points with just a minute or two left and we couldn't stop them!

This is not rocket science.  I am far from upset with Mike, but I do giggle at how aggressively we criticize and defend our coaches.  I love the fact that Mike doesn't embarass us - he doesn't cheat.  But does anyone else watch the Hogs and wonder what contribution is being made from the bench?  I think that WE got real lucky that Bobby Portis happened to be from Arkansas and a Razorback fan two years ago.

I have no doubt that Mike and the staff are desperately looking to fill the roster with whatever talent they can find.  Can you imagine the conversations taking place within the staff?  We're hanging on the edge of our seats to know - what?

Mike, "Since Nick left we need another forward and a guard."
TJ, "I'll check the internet to see who's available."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2015, 03:17:09 pm
4.)Nolan stayed loyal to Mike even though he and the rest of the staff were "underwhelming" and somehow Mike can be attributed to the investigation by Broyles, white, and the U of A.
5.)Mike is still only signing players that are from Arkansas (huge Arkansas fans) and people he has some sort of relationship with i.e. family member or grade school friend.

I also had no idea that Kingsley, Kapita, Qualls, and others were related to Mike, or were from Arkansas.

1) Never said they were the main reasons.  "helped" does not equate to main reasons
You are once again creating things to create an argument to make your argument.

2) He wasn't?

3) Of course not.  Again creating something that wasn't in my post. 

4) Did you really get from my post that I blamed Mike for the investigation?  I'm going to give you more credit than that.

5)  Only?  Yet another exaggeration from you.  Do you have any rebuttal or anything to add to the conversation other than exaggerations?   

Your reading comprehension needs help.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 21, 2015, 03:58:40 pm
Great post.  Thanks for taking the time.

Kapita does appear to be something of an exception to what Mike has recruited in the past.  No known connection, academic risk, etc.  People wonder if he will be healthy enough to play - I'm elated.

My earlier post could be taken as Mike was a failure as an assistant at Arkansas which is far from reality.  He had to carry a lot of weight in addition to his own.  My post was more to this is how he learned to operate when he was given coaching and recruiting responsibilities after he was promoted. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 21, 2015, 02:49:03 pm
...... and somehow the staff is building a program that is consistently winning and garnered the highest NCAA tournament seeding for the Hogs since 1999. What can we blame for that?

The conversation headed down the path of recruiting and why Mike and the staff recruit the way they do.  You seem to have gotten something different perhaps from my post. 

Blame?  Attribute it to:

Bobby Portis
Michael Qualls
A schedule that setup nicely in terms of a good RPI ooc schedule but with few truly tough opponents especially considering most games were played in BWA.  And an SEC schedule that allowed the Hogs to feast on the bottom part of the conference while only playing Ole Miss twice in the regular season from the conference's top teams. 

Consistently winning what? 

Mike Anderson is a good enough coach and Arkansas attracts players good enough to have a program that wins more than it loses and should consistently make NCAAT's.  When that great player comes through, it can achieve more due to the coach and program.  The worst part perhaps of the Heath and Pelphrey eras is that it is giving some fans an idea that they should argue that we are better now.  No darn.  We hit bottom for our program.  We aren't at the bottom any longer.  We have a coach who is qualified from an experience and achievement standpoint to coach our program unlike the previous two.  Don't try and build up what he is doing so far as some major achievement.  He is doing adequately so far I guess would be a word for it. 

HawgAdvocate

Aside from Qualls' clear improvement over time, and now that it's been a month since the Hogs lost to UNC and the emotion has worn off a bit, do you still believe the proposed myth given below has been 'dispelled?'

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 22, 2015, 03:17:11 pm
Another: Players don't improve under MA. That looks especially dumb now. We should go through the post history, identify everyone who has ever posted that, and delete their accounts.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 21, 2015, 04:40:29 pm
1) Never said they were the main reasons.  "helped" does not equate to main reasons
You are once again creating things to create an argument to make your argument.

2) He wasn't?

3) Of course not.  Again creating something that wasn't in my post. 

4) Did you really get from my post that I blamed Mike for the investigation?  I'm going to give you more credit than that.

5)  Only?  Yet another exaggeration from you.  Do you have any rebuttal or anything to add to the conversation other than exaggerations?   

Your reading comprehension needs help.
1.)Never said they weren't either
2.)Remember I wasn't arguing with you, I stated that that's what I gathered from your post.
3.)Here is what you wrote:
"Mike got promoted.

It was during this time Mike was playing a prominent role as lead assistant.  He was a part of an underwhelming staff whom Nolan remained loyal to till the end. It is no wonder Mike has done the same since he became head coach.  It almost seems like an arrogant defiance, stubbornness(which I still say is Mike's biggest flaw and is reminiscent of Nolan as well), that he has headed down the same path.  At UAB and Mizzou, especially UAB, he could get those athletes and academic reaches he and Nolan tried to get to Arkansas, and mold them into his useful players in his system.  They were the likely to say yes types."
4.)Again you said:
"We didn't know it at the time or pay attention because we were winning a NC and going to F4's and had a legendary, innovative head coach in Nolan leading us but his staff wasn't good.  And Nolan tried to "feed the monster" by continuing to go the JC route and not establishing more relationships in order to recruit high school players.  This of course bit us with the investigation, White, Broyles and Kim Woods incident hurting the program." All in the same paragraph so they must all relate.
5.)I stretched this one for sure, it was more of a rebuttle on other comments not made by you.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 03:56:52 pm
Based on the stories I've heard from former department officials, we wouldn't have landed players like Day or Big O had it not been for the recruiting 'tactic$' performed through coaches like Stoglin and Edgar. Of course, when they became small school head coaches in the early 90s, their 're$ource$' were far fewer to work with.

That was a different era though. As far as I've ever heard, Mike doe$n't u$e the $ame tactic$. I'm sure Jamal Jones can attest to that.
Everyone knows money talks. Can't get mad at Mike for not employing the same tactic. His boss is probably the most ethical folks in the business so if he wants to keep his job he has to play by the rules.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2015, 06:01:50 pm
Everyone knows money talks. Can't get mad at Mike for not employing the same tactic. His boss is probably the most ethical folks in the business so if he wants to keep his job he has to play by the rules.

Money does indeed talk, but perhaps that adds some perspective to how you chose to interpret some of ATL's post. And speaking on Mike, this extends well before his tenure working for JL.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2015, 05:59:40 pm
1.)Never said they weren't either
2.)Remember I wasn't arguing with you, I stated that that's what I gathered from your post.
3.)Here is what you wrote:
"Mike got promoted.

It was during this time Mike was playing a prominent role as lead assistant.  He was a part of an underwhelming staff whom Nolan remained loyal to till the end. It is no wonder Mike has done the same since he became head coach.  It almost seems like an arrogant defiance, stubbornness(which I still say is Mike's biggest flaw and is reminiscent of Nolan as well), that he has headed down the same path.  At UAB and Mizzou, especially UAB, he could get those athletes and academic reaches he and Nolan tried to get to Arkansas, and mold them into his useful players in his system.  They were the likely to say yes types."
4.)Again you said:
"We didn't know it at the time or pay attention because we were winning a NC and going to F4's and had a legendary, innovative head coach in Nolan leading us but his staff wasn't good.  And Nolan tried to "feed the monster" by continuing to go the JC route and not establishing more relationships in order to recruit high school players.  This of course bit us with the investigation, White, Broyles and Kim Woods incident hurting the program." All in the same paragraph so they must all relate.
5.)I stretched this one for sure, it was more of a rebuttle on other comments not made by you.

1) They played a much bigger role than Mike.  He was helping with Yvonne which Nolan needed. 

3) If you want to pretend to have that low of reading comprehension and need it explained:

Mike Anderson's role as lead assistant did not cause Woods to participate in academic fraud, did not cause Arkansas to be investigated for the recruitment of certain players(which was mostly bogus), did not cause John White to change academic restrictions or Frank's actions towards Nolan and the basketball program and how he treated them differently than the football program.  Mike may have been a part of the practice violations the NCAA found.  Can't say for sure.  Nolan was in charge and holds responsibility.  I thought that was clear. 

I thought it was clear part of my post was stating Dunn and Stehlik plus Anderson wasn't a great assistant coaching staff.  The investigation, White, Broyles, Woods and Nolan's decisions all played a role in the decline.  And that after the program began to decline, Nolan made no changes to the staff.  Anderson's recruiting hasn't been great yet he sticks with the same staff.  Good thing too with Watkins as it helped get Whitt.  Zimmerman have any connections?  Any Sand Lizards going to be high major players? 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 21, 2015, 06:10:31 pm
1) They played a much bigger role than Mike.  He was helping with Yvonne which Nolan needed. 

3) If you want to pretend to have that low of reading comprehension and need it explained:

Mike Anderson's role as lead assistant did not cause Woods to participate in academic fraud, did not cause Arkansas to be investigated for the recruitment of certain players(which was mostly bogus), did not cause John White to change academic restrictions or Frank's actions towards Nolan and the basketball program and how he treated them differently than the football program.  Mike may have been a part of the practice violations the NCAA found.  Can't say for sure.  Nolan was in charge and holds responsibility.  I thought that was clear. 

I thought it was clear part of my post was stating Dunn and Stehlik plus Anderson wasn't a great assistant coaching staff.  The investigation, White, Broyles, Woods and Nolan's decisions all played a role in the decline.  And that after the program began to decline, Nolan made no changes to the staff.  Anderson's recruiting hasn't been great yet he sticks with the same staff.  Good thing too with Watkins as it helped get Whitt.  Zimmerman have any connections?  Any Sand Lizards going to be high major players?
Ahhh got jokes. That's right. We only sign kids who we have a direct relationship with like a family member or family friend right?

As to the rest of your wasted mumbling, you have this huge write up and try to logically spell out why Mike is what he is and that he's never been a good recruiter, the program declined after certain assistants left and mike was promoted. Yet mike has proven to be the most successful of said assistants and along with HA like to imply we were only getting good recruits when we were shelling out th cash but Mike won't do that and it's him being behind the times. While also taking a shot at me bc I have a direct connection with Zimmerman.

I apologize if for some reason that bothers you. We can't control certain things in life and as a 7th grader I had no control over who my coach was. But I am grateful that it was Coach Z. He's the hardest working basketball coach I have ever met and also a very nice person. He served our country and then came back to coach basketball. None of this necessarily makes him right for this job. He's not in with shoe companies or these street agent types. He is what he is and I imagine he goes and does what Mike tells him to. Sorry if all that bothers you as the backhanded comments and negativity from you and many others gets old. I feel some of you would be much happier if we were back winning 14 games and a losing SEC record.

Slater

We get it, you do not like Mike Anderson, take a break for ten years, he will retire at age 65 a Razorback.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Marshfieldhog

Zimmerman might be better in a admin role. I don't care who of the 3 go but if Mike really is going to take Arkansas back to the top he will have to upgrade his staff. He will not win big with this staff.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2015, 03:06:32 pm
It's truly not worth it. He won't actually admit that he complained about our season, only that he complained about our play. Which he didn't complain about our play as much as he complained about the coaching of CMA. Now we are losing three guys, two to the NBA, and one to transfer and he and others claim they would not be upset IF he would have signed just one more player. Apparently the season rests on the fact that we only signed 2 instead of 3 in the early signing period.

What some deem complaining others deem pointing out weaknesses. Was it wrong to point out the offensive struggles against zone defenses? Was it incorrect to say the press was ineffective, especially early in the SEC season?

No one knows how the signees will do next year. Just about everyone expected next season to be a step back IF Portis and Qualls left ( would have been a step back if just Portis left ).  What bugs me is most here seem willing to give a pss, just HOPING MA lands Monk for one yea in 16/17. Is that where we are, hoping to be really good once every 5 years?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogsanity on April 22, 2015, 08:18:04 am
What some deem complaining others deem pointing out weaknesses. Was it wrong to point out the offensive struggles against zone defenses? Was it incorrect to say the press was ineffective, especially early in the SEC season?

No one knows how the signees will do next year. Just about everyone expected next season to be a step back IF Portis and Qualls left ( would have been a step back if just Portis left ).  What bugs me is most here seem willing to give a pss, just HOPING MA lands Monk for one yea in 16/17. Is that where we are, hoping to be really good once every 5 years?
Most of the "CMA can do no wrong" crowd are guys who have given up on Arkansas ever returning to elite status, or too young to remember when we were talked about with the Dukes and Kentuckys every season.

This is the best they expect, and so defend it mercilessly.  They think we are unrealistic for expecting to be that again.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 22, 2015, 08:24:57 am
Most of the "CMA can do no wrong" crowd are guys who have given up on Arkansas ever returning to elite status, or too young to remember when we were talked about with the Dukes and Kentuckys every season.

This is the best they expect, and so defend it mercilessly.  They think we are unrealistic for expecting to be that again.

If they do not expect to be that again, and by "that" I will define it as being in the ncaat 8 out of every ten years, and making the sweet 16 3 of those 8 trips, then what is the point of having a program at all?

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on April 22, 2015, 08:18:04 am

When I point out things that my wife didn't do while I was at work she calls that complaining. So to answer your question, yes it's complaining, no it wasn't incorrect. So you do complain, but some of your "complaints" have merit.

It's when your objectivity weighs more to one side than the other, that it gets old and people get annoyed. See you want to complain (yes it's complaining when you are talking about something that should have been done, or wasn't done, or something you think is wrong) but maybe 15% of the time you have something good to say. That's why my wife gets mad at me. Maybe once a week I come home and tell her how good the house looks bc she actually decided to clean the house that day. But the other 4 I'm complaining that something didn't get done. This gets her very pissed off and unhappy with me. So I've had to maybe complain once a week and just bite my tongue the other times. This has made her a much happier person and she will actually hear me out the one time I complain vs putting in headphones and tuning me out like we have done with you.

azhog10

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 22, 2015, 08:24:57 am

Yes, because Arkansas had much better choices at the time than Coach A. We should've stuck with Pel right?