Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh no! We suck again!

Started by Deep Shoat, April 15, 2015, 07:43:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

Who is going to score next season?

If Mike gets us back to the NCAAT in '16, I'll never complain about the system again.
All Gas, No Brakes!

40MINSOFHELL

Going to hear this a lot, We're young lol

k.c.hawg

Damn have I missed something? Whats our record.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

al2305

I love the waterboy but Bobby Boucher Portis is gone for good.  Probably will be a tough year next season.

The_Bionic_Pig

We went from a possible high NCAA seed to a bubble team in 24hrs.  filling those (3) slots could make a major difference.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Letsroll1200

Here comes the Haters! MA has proven himself on and off the court! The Razorbacks will be alright

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 15, 2015, 09:56:48 pm
Here comes the Haters! MA has proven himself on and off the court! The Razorbacks will be alright

Lets don't go back to 2014! I think most fans will understand it's a rebuilding process next year. But we get to see young players grow. This isn't rock kickers days. All I will say is if CMA gets a 5 seed next year with the team coming back I will never question him again. If we are last in the SEC next yr I still give CMA a pass. But Monk might be the most important part of next season.

Marshfieldhog

Monk needs to be signed in November. He is perhaps the most " must get" guy Anderson will ever have.

nwahogfan1

I don't think we have enough scorers on campus or with Whitt and Kapita coming in to get us to the Tournament.  I think any talk of getting to the Tournament needs to be saved until we finish up recruiting.  We need one or two long athletic scorers who can shoot and create their own shots.  We might be a couple years away.

PORKULATOR

We need men, not boys. The ones who were closest to being men are gone. I'm a bit worried.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 15, 2015, 10:55:15 pm
Monk needs to be signed in November. He is perhaps the most " must get" guy Anderson will ever have.

Indeed

TejasPete

I like MA but highly doubt we make the tourney next year. Pretty disappointing that in 5 years Mike will have one tourney win just like Heath and Pel.

lefty08

Quote from: TejasPete on April 16, 2015, 06:33:58 am
I like MA but highly doubt we make the tourney next year. Pretty disappointing that in 5 years Mike will have one tourney win just like Heath and Pel.

Since you seem to want to.compare the coaches, do you think we are better or worse off now than 8 years ago?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

TexArkHogFan

You complain about  Portis amd Qualls leaving early and then turn around and say that we "must" get Monk to be relevant again.  It's pretty much a given that he will be a one and done.  So are we going to go through this again when he leaves after one year?  I want Monk as much as anybody but it is much more important to build a foundation for future years,  recruit good players who can become great players after a couple of years of developing and improving, ie., the way that Qualls improved every single year that he was here.

Sure, it hurts losing Portis and Qualls, but every team in the country goes through the process of losing players, either thru transfers, leaving early or graduation.  The way some on here are acting we are doomed to failure without even knowing what the roster will look like next year.  We've got some good players coming back, hopefully improved from last year, some good ones coming in and we may have some more good ones coming that we don't know about yet.  Give it some time, take a break and sit back and watch how it all shakes out.  I like the way our perimeter looks already with Bell, Hannahs and Whitt all having the capability to be a game changer. Go Hogs.   
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 15, 2015, 09:56:48 pm
1 NCCAT in 4 years is not great ....

WarPig88

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on April 16, 2015, 08:45:55 am

1 tournament win in the previous 11 years to MA is even worse.

What about our program is it that makes some of you think it should be better today than it is? It was a DISASTER when MA got here.

It wasn't that things had been bad and were trending UP when he got here. Things had been bad and were trending DOWN!

We didn't just make the tournament either. We were solid in with a decent seed and won a game after being a dumpster fire just 3 years ago.

SMH

WorfHog

All reports say that he's going to take the process slowly and weigh all his options.  I'd be very surprised if Malik Monk is an early commit to anyone.

Biggus Piggus

You got to wonder what is going on when Babb left the team just as opportunity was swinging wide open.
[CENSORED]!

latrops

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 16, 2015, 08:50:29 am
1 tournament win in the previous 11 years to MA is even worse.

What about our program is it that makes some of you think it should be better today than it is? It was a DISASTER when MA got here.

It wasn't that things had been bad and were trending UP when he got here. Things had been bad and were trending DOWN!

We didn't just make the tournament either. We were solid in with a decent seed and won a game after being a dumpster fire just 3 years ago.

SMH

So you are saying that because we were bad for a decade before Anderson got here, we shouldn't expect to make the NCAAT more than once every four or so years or do much once we are in?

Yes, things were bad.  That's why Anderson was given what at the time was one of the larger contracts in college basketball to come fix things.  This year was really good.  Unfortunately, right now it doesn't look likely that the momentum carries into next season.  That could change quickly with a homerun or two in recruiting.

WarPig88

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 16, 2015, 08:58:37 am
You got to wonder what is going on when Babb left the team just as opportunity was swinging wide open.

Maybe he didn't think that Qualls was going to leave and that with Whitt coming in the door would not be wide open.

hoglady

I was talking with a friend about that same thing yesterday.
Got to think Babb thought Qualls was staying - or that he was just not happy at Arkansas for whatever reason. The minutes would have been there for him next year with Qualls gone.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WarPig88

Quote from: latrops on April 16, 2015, 09:07:41 am
So you are saying that because we were bad for a decade before Anderson got here, we shouldn't expect to make the NCAAT more than once every four or so years or do much once we are in?

Yes, things were bad.  That's why Anderson was given what at the time was one of the larger contracts in college basketball to come fix things.  This year was really good.  Unfortunately, right now it doesn't look likely that the momentum carries into next season.  That could change quickly with a homerun or two in recruiting.

No, I am saying you are cherry picking in order to make a baseless argument. You act like we should have been making the tournament from the get go. Based on what?

The previous 11 years?

This was the first season we had a team that SHOULD have made the tournament. The season before we COULD have, but didn't because we were a bubble team from the start.

Yes losing Qualls and Portis hurts next season in a big way. But we just signed 2 top 55 guys THIS SEASON. Not enough time has been put between the current program and the debacle of the previous 11 years to claim that we should be in a place to lose two guys of the caliber we are losing and just reload.

For starters, Qualls was developed, not a highly rated recruit. That is where we have come from in the last 4 years. From signing projects in hopes they work out to getting guys near the top half of the top 100 in the nation.

So your 1 for 4 stuff is crap and not indicative of the true state of the program.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on April 16, 2015, 09:10:26 am
Got to think Babb thought Qualls was staying - or that he was just not happy at Arkansas for whatever reason. The minutes would have been there for him next year with Qualls gone.

He probably got tired of being used as a cattle prod by MA. I bet 15 times this year we would hear MA talk about how Babb was really coming on, pushing for playing time, was really going to help in the next game, etc. Then Babb would play 0:00. Knowing Madden was graduating, and that it was at least possible that Qualls was leaving, why not play a guy that was going to be in line to take some of the slack up the next season?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2015, 09:18:15 am
He probably got tired of being used as a cattle prod by MA. I bet 15 times this year we would hear MA talk about how Babb was really coming on, pushing for playing time, was really going to help in the next game, etc. Then Babb would play 0:00. Knowing Madden was graduating, and that it was at least possible that Qualls was leaving, why not play a guy that was going to be in line to take some of the slack up the next season?

Because we had to win now. People like yourself were saying that if the staff didn't win this year they should be on really hot water.

Babb wasn't good enough to make the rotation this year. You don't play kids just keep them around at the collegiate level. Who do you know that is doing that?

That would be like not firing a coach because a player or recruit likes him. The player would be dictating the situation that way and that is not how it works and you know it.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 16, 2015, 09:23:14 am
Because we had to win now. People like yourself were saying that if the staff didn't win this year they should be on really hot water.

Babb wasn't good enough to make the rotation this year. You don't play kids just keep them around at the collegiate level. Who do you know that is doing that?

That would be like not firing a coach because a player or recruit likes him. The player would be dictating the situation that way and that is not how it works and you know it.

Then do not REPEATEDLY talk about how they have earned more playing time, and are going to help in the next game, then not play them at all.

I never said he was good enough to play, MA kept saying that. I do not think playing him 6-8 minutes per game would have made one bit of difference in last season record.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2015, 09:25:48 am
Then do not REPEATEDLY talk about how they have earned more playing time, and are going to help in the next game, then not play them at all.

I never said he was good enough to play, MA kept saying that. I do not think playing him 6-8 minutes per game would have made one bit of difference in last season record.

You follow a lot programs enough to know that other coaches don't talk up kids that don't play?

You are a serious guru then.

By the way, we played a lot of close games this year. Babb playing 6-8 minutes absolutely could have been the difference in winning and losing those games if he wasn't up to it.

I guess you have never heard the old saying that if the coach isn't saying your name then he doesn't care about you? That is all Anderson was doing this season. He was letting Babb know that even though he wasn't playing, he was being noticed.

It's hardly deceitful or a sign of poor coaching.

Hogz87

This, because if he doesn't get Monk and/or his recruiting doesn't really start picking up, it wouldn't surprise me if it's another 4 or so years before we make the NCAA tournament again.  And if that's the case, his job could be in serious jeopardy by that time. 

latrops

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 16, 2015, 09:23:14 am

Can you explain why he only got 4 minutes in a 30 point win over Milwaukee, and 2 minutes in a 20 point home win over SC, and 2 minutes in a 20 point home win over Miss St, and 1 minute in a 15 point home win over Mizzou, and 1 minute in 14 point win over Auburn?

Point being....there were opportunities to work him in for a few more minutes here and there.  Whether he should have or not is debatable.  Some trust CMA no matter what, and others question some of what he does.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 16, 2015, 09:33:50 am

It's hardly deceitful or a sign of poor coaching.

No where did I say either of those things, oh great defender of all things MA.

All I said was, in answer to a question, that perhaps Babb left because he got tired of being talked up for playing time, but given little or none. It is as valid of a theory as any other.

WarPig88

Quote from: latrops on April 16, 2015, 09:46:39 am
Can you explain why he only got 4 minutes in a 30 point win over Milwaukee, and 2 minutes in a 20 point home win over SC, and 2 minutes in a 20 point home win over Miss St, and 1 minute in a 15 point home win over Mizzou, and 1 minute in 14 point win over Auburn?

Point being....there were opportunities to work him in for a few more minutes here and there.  Whether he should have or not is debatable.  Some trust CMA no matter what, and others question some of what he does.

Easy, he wasn't ready for more minutes in game time. Not to mention, while those margins look big, those games were close for awhile before being blown open so there wasn't as much time available as you assert.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2015, 09:48:27 am
No where did I say either of those things, oh great defender of all things MA.

All I said was, in answer to a question, that perhaps Babb left because he got tired of being talked up for playing time, but given little or none. It is as valid of a theory as any other.

I don't see where anyone accused you of anything. But your assertion was not merely and explanation, but your history of being anti MA would lead most people to think that you were making your usual pejorative statements.

latrops

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 16, 2015, 09:52:57 am
Easy, he wasn't ready for more minutes in game time. Not to mention, while those margins look big, those games were close for awhile before being blown open so there wasn't as much time available as you assert.

He played more minutes earlier in the season, so the "wasn't ready" excuse doesn't seem to fit.  He didn't get much playing time in the aTm or SC game where we built big first half leads (which we blew), either. 

Frankly, if you can't even concede that he could have gotten a few minutes at Watkins' or Bell's expense in games that we won by 20+, then there is really no point in continuing the discussion.  Just so I know for the future, though....how big of a lead do we need before freshmen toward the end of our bench can play?  If a 15 to 20 point lead late is at risk by playing someone like Babb....how big does the lead need to be?  Kinda makes me wonder why Babb was given a scholarship in the first place if he was that risky to play.

WarPig88

Quote from: latrops on April 16, 2015, 10:45:21 am
He played more minutes earlier in the season, so the "wasn't ready" excuse doesn't seem to fit.  He didn't get much playing time in the aTm or SC game where we built big first half leads (which we blew), either. 

Frankly, if you can't even concede that he could have gotten a few minutes at Watkins' or Bell's expense in games that we won by 20+, then there is really no point in continuing the discussion.  Just so I know for the future, though....how big of a lead do we need before freshmen toward the end of our bench can play?  If a 15 to 20 point lead late is at risk by playing someone like Babb....how big does the lead need to be?  Kinda makes me wonder why Babb was given a scholarship in the first place if he was that risky to play.

Early in the season is the tryout period for guys on verge of the rotation. The minutes decline as the season moves on so the fact he played early and not later says a lot, just not what you think it does.

Babb was always seen as a guy that would develop. Not a guy that would come in and play ahead of Madden or Qualls. He was also thought to maybe play some point, but Beard solidified his role in that spot so where do you think Babb should have played then?

Bell's role is that of a shooter, not Babb's forte. Watkins is an energy guy, not Babb's forte.

You don't just play guys for the sake of playing guys. If you can't concede that, then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on April 16, 2015, 09:10:26 am
We lost two players he would possibly sub for Madden and Qualls, we replace them with Whitt and Hannah, he has practiced with and against Hannah all season, perhaps he could see an uphill battle to crack rotation for significant minutes.

TheRazorbackGuy

April 16, 2015, 11:13:20 am #34 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:03:33 pm by TheRazorbackGuy
Quote from: rude1 on April 16, 2015, 11:01:19 am
We lost two players he would possibly sub for Madden and Qualls, we replace them with Whitt and Hannah, he has practiced with and against Hannah all season, perhaps he could see an uphill battle to crack rotation for significant minutes.

Where do you make up for the rebuilding and 66% of the scoring?

phadedhawg

I'll tune in anyway...

But can't lie...next season seems a whole lot dimmer.

Biggus Piggus

Qualls himself said something about next year's team being defense-oriented and that it might have to win games by scores like 3-2. That's really encouraging.
[CENSORED]!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 16, 2015, 01:12:08 pm
Qualls himself said something about next year's team being defense-oriented and that it might have to win games by scores like 3-2. That's really encouraging.

Defense? This team lost their best two defenders. Watkins is a good defender, Beard is above average but lots of defensive weaknesses on this team.

dsgreen

Quote from: TejasPete on April 16, 2015, 06:33:58 am

heath never won in the tourney

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: dsgreen on April 16, 2015, 01:20:33 pm
heath never won in the tourney

That's wrong Heath took Kent State to the Elite Eight and got South Florida to the 2nd round.

lefty08

look guys, I really liked babb, he seemed like a nice kid. He also showed flashes of what was to come in his game, but it amazes me how a player can leave and instantly become an all SEC player
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

dsgreen

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 16, 2015, 01:22:22 pm
That's wrong Heath took Kent State to the Elite Eight and got South Florida to the 2nd round.

He was talking about with Arkansas.  Heath never won a game in the tourney at Arkansas.

razortv

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 10:52:19 pm
Lets don't go back to 2014! I think most fans will understand it's a rebuilding process next year. But we get to see young players grow. This isn't rock kickers days. All I will say is if CMA gets a 5 seed next year with the team coming back I will never question him again. If we are last in the SEC next yr I still give CMA a pass. But Monk might be the most important part of next season.

That was a pretty funny post. There is no such thing as rebuild when you have a staff who has been here 5 years. However, I'm ok with that because I have come to terms that we are what we are (Top 40-75 team).  We will make the tourney every 3-4 years and the years we don't we will be that team listed as a bad loss (as we will have a few upsets) during March. We are not an elite team and won't be the way the current environment is in college basketball.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: razortv on April 16, 2015, 02:11:44 pm
There is no such thing as rebuild when you have a staff who has been here 5 years. However, I'm ok with that because I have come to terms that we are what we are (Top 40-75 team).  We will make the tourney every 3-4 years and the years we don't we will be that team listed as a bad loss (as we will have a few upsets) during March. We are not an elite team and won't be the way the current environment is in college basketball.

Well said. I've shared the same expectations since MA was hired.

Funny thing is, you tell folks to expect a Dance invite every few years, and they don't like that at all. But when it actually plays out that way, it's somehow all gravy.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Southern Hogspitality

I agree with this, the fact that Babb left scares me a little bit.  It hurts to lose a young 6'4" guard who looks like he could be good.

rude1

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 16, 2015, 11:13:20 am

Where do you make up for the rebuilding and 66% of the scoring?
Incoming players help and guys on the team step up, you don't know who this is until it happens. We lost 3 No. 1 draft picks off a team in the past and recovered by veterans stepping up to help the younger players develop. Off the next team we lost our two best players again the same year and had to adjust. We lost our top two scorers and best players off a team just three years ago and recovered. Its happened before and will happen again it is how college basketball works, contrary to popular belief this isn't our first rodeo.

TomBigBeeHog

Unless we get Ferguson....
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 16, 2015, 09:14:59 am
No, I am saying you are cherry picking in order to make a baseless argument. You act like we should have been making the tournament from the get go. Based on what?

The previous 11 years?

This was the first season we had a team that SHOULD have made the tournament. The season before we COULD have, but didn't because we were a bubble team from the start.

Yes losing Qualls and Portis hurts next season in a big way. But we just signed 2 top 55 guys THIS SEASON. Not enough time has been put between the current program and the debacle of the previous 11 years to claim that we should be in a place to lose two guys of the caliber we are losing and just reload.

For starters, Qualls was developed, not a highly rated recruit. That is where we have come from in the last 4 years. From signing projects in hopes they work out to getting guys near the top half of the top 100 in the nation.

So your 1 for 4 stuff is crap and not indicative of the true state of the program.

You realize that Anderson's first year here he inherited one of the best recruiting classes Arkansas has ever had.  According to Rivals: BJ Young #25, Ky Madden #32, Hunter Mickelson #100, Devonta Abron #108.  That was a recruiting class with 2 top 55 players in it that Pelphrey was able to get and Mike inherited.  All of that in the middle of the 11 year dumpster fire. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Southern Hogspitality on April 16, 2015, 02:46:48 pm
You realize that Anderson's first year here he inherited one of the best recruiting classes Arkansas has ever had.

....on paper
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jared72404

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on April 16, 2015, 08:45:55 am
Its not bad either, considering what he started with.