Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Okay here's the plan we should use

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, April 15, 2015, 03:13:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

Go full force after Nigel Williams - Goss and Nick King
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wildhog

I don't get the infatuation with Nick King.  I guess at this point, though, we just need bodies.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jry04

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 15, 2015, 03:13:13 pm
So tie up 2 scholarships on players that cannot play? I am all for getting gone, but both wouldn't really benefit us unless you are willing to sacrifice next season.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 03:22:05 pm
So tie up 2 scholarships on players that cannot play? I am all for getting gone, but both wouldn't really benefit us unless you are willing to sacrifice next season.

Let's be honest the Freshman we can bring in at this point is just like waiting until 2016.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 15, 2015, 03:39:44 pm
Let's be honest the Freshman we can bring in at this point is just like waiting until 2016.

This, I think next year is shot anyway. Poor past recruiting going to catch up with Anderson. Too many gambles, I suspect he will gamble on a couple of others...not many players left to sign.

Hogimus Prime

Bad situation. 2016 has the chance to be a loaded class. Going to need some scholarship openings. Need at least 5 available for 2016 have 3 open now and 4 Srs. So use 2 with a fresh, graduate transfer or transfer.  But alteast 1 that can play this year.

Marshfieldhog

To be honest...most of us could see this coming even before the year started. Qualls was always a risk to leave and Portis, with a good season, was going to leave.

Yet, Anderson signs a good guard in November and that's about it in the early period when more players are available. I think he rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 15, 2015, 03:13:13 pm

Agreed 100%.

Very unlikely to make a postseason tournament next season and the quality of talent available is suboptimal. If we can get Frazier or another decently rated recruit that's available, great. Otherwise, go with some proven guys to mix in with the 2016 freshmen.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 03:53:06 pm
Agreed 100%.

Very unlikely to make a postseason tournament next season and the quality of talent available is suboptimal. If we can get Frazier or another decently rated recruit that's available, great. Otherwise, go with some proven guys to mix in with the 2016 freshmen.

HawgRed, how much better is Frazier than Babb?

Danny J

I say we go out and try and sign the best recruits available regardless of when they can play. If that is Goss and King then so be it. We are going to have a major drop off next year regardless. Just go get the best available players.

Danny J

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 03:56:30 pm
Different kind of players. Frazier is athletic like Qualls. Has virtually no jump shot that I have seen. He will be a guy that develops that if he works hard and I have no idea what his work ethic is like.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Danny J on April 15, 2015, 04:00:23 pm
Different kind of players. Frazier is athletic like Qualls. Has virtually no jump shot that I have seen. He will be a guy that develops that if he works hard and I have no idea what his work ethic is like.

DannyJ, sounds like Qualls is his ceiling and Jason Henry is his floor is what I'm guessing your comparing Frazier to former Hogs.

Atlhogfan1

It would be good to fill Babb's departure with a player who will be a junior in the '16-17 season as Babb would have been.  Filling it with a G or SF who can contribute in '16-17 would be even better.  The guard depth quality still isn't where it needs to be.

Having 7 spots to fill in less than a full recruiting cycle can be a good opportunity to upgrade talent and build the team you want or get you in trouble with reaches, misses and an unbalanced roster that hurts you for years.  We've gone through it.  Mizzou is suffering now from poor choices when they had to replace a number of players in short time period including trying the transfer quick fix too much. 

Our head coach is going into his 14th season as a head coach and he and his assistants have years of recruiting experience and relationships built.  Plus they should have some momentum from the '15 season and the practice facility and a state that is producing recruits.  They should be able to navigate through this well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NLRHog92

2 schollys to work with. Hopefully can bring in Williams-Goss and sign Frazier. Would like the big man from Charlotte, but he seems set on other destinations. That would require Frazier to play and improve all year, NWG would learn system sitting out a year. Next year looks like a bust anyway. No way Kingsley and Williams can replace anything remotely close to BP and Qualls. Hog luck though, we'll probably end up settling on a JUCO guy that isn't great, Frazier doesn't qualify and we sign someone else.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 03:56:30 pm

I'm not exactly sure that he is, from a basketball standpoint. And they're different players. One is a forward and one is a combo guard. What Frazier has that I think makes him a better immediate contributor is that he's more aggressive. To me, that was Babb's only problem. Too timid. So I would say that's what makes him better.

Hawg Red

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 15, 2015, 04:10:26 pm
2 schollys to work with. Hopefully can bring in Williams-Goss and sign Frazier. Would like the big man from Charlotte, but he seems set on other destinations. That would require Frazier to play and improve all year, NWG would learn system sitting out a year. Next year looks like a bust anyway. No way Kingsley and Williams can replace anything remotely close to BP and Qualls. Hog luck though, we'll probably end up settling on a JUCO guy that isn't great, Frazier doesn't qualify and we sign someone else.

3. Portis, Qualls, and Babb gone.

jry04

I say we throw as much money at the uncommitted top 20 players and worry about sanctions later.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:16:28 pm
I'm not exactly sure that he is, from a basketball standpoint. And they're different players. One is a forward and one is a combo guard. What Frazier has that I think makes him a better immediate contributor is that he's more aggressive. To me, that was Babb's only problem. Too timid. So I would say that's what makes him better.

Also more athletic. Downside is that doesn't look to have a mid-range game and Babb had already been here learning for a year. Also knew what you were getting out of Babb in practice to improve. And to top it off, not even sure if A) he qualifies B) he chooses us

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 04:18:45 pm
I say we throw as much money at the uncommitted top 20 players and worry about sanctions later.

You've obviously been learning from the Blue side of the force.... Calipari was really under the Darth helmet.
This is my non-signature signature.

NLRHog92

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 04:18:45 pm

Thing is, we shouldn't have to do that. We should have other players in place to take over and continue success. But MA failed to do that. I think he's the right guy, but needs better assistants and to be consistent in who he brings in. Those guys should want to come here and start right away and shine, though.

lefty08

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 15, 2015, 04:21:33 pm
Thing is, we shouldn't have to do that. We should have other players in place to take over and continue success. But MA failed to do that. I think he's the right guy, but needs better assistants and to be consistent in who he brings in. Those guys should want to come here and start right away and shine, though.

He not gonna oversign, and I applaud him for it. He can't recruit what he doesn't have room for
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

NLRHog92

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:24:43 pm
He not gonna overdoing, and I applaud him for it. He can't recruit what he doesn't have room for

He's going to have more of a sense of who is leaving than anyone else. There's nothing wrong with covering your bases and then telling a kid, "Sorry we just don't have room" rather than scrambling last minute.

lefty08

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 15, 2015, 04:28:11 pm
He's going to have more of a sense of who is leaving than anyone else. There's nothing wrong with covering your bases and then telling a kid, "Sorry we just don't have room" rather than scrambling last minute.

How do you know that hasn't happened? Basketball recruiting has been secretive ever since he got here. So the fact someone didn't commit minutes after Qualls tweeted means MA quit recruiting? Don't be so shortsided
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:24:43 pm
He not gonna oversign, and I applaud him for it. He can't recruit what he doesn't have room for

That's grade A bull. It's 2015. How many schools don't experience at least one early defection of some kind, whether it's a player going pro or transferring? We was the last time Arkansas didn't lose someone early??

Come on now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:30:40 pm
How do you know that hasn't happened? Basketball recruiting has been secretive ever since he got here. So the fact someone didn't commit minutes after Qualls tweeted means MA quit recruiting? Don't be so shortsided

Not that secretive. We knew about Whitt. We knew about Malik Dime. We knew about Ted Kapita. We knew about several players. The top targets always get out.

NLRHog92

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:30:40 pm

Woah, man! I was just going off what you said, which was he wasn't going to recruit if there wasn't any room. Then I said that he would have a good sense of who is leaving, therefore he knows how many he needs to recruit and sign. If they didn't end up leaving, then he doesn't have more room. 2-1=1, but 2-0 is still 2... If you need more of a recap, I'll be happy to break it down for you.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:35:02 pm
That's grade A bull. It's 2015. How many schools don't experience at least one early defection of some kind, whether it's a player going pro or transferring? We was the last time Arkansas didn't lose someone early??

Come on now.

Bull? I give my opinion on him and it's bull? What if I said I'm aware of a guy at work embezzling money, but I choose not to. Is that bull because I've got a moral compass. MA commits to these guys and I applaud that. Is our coach perfect? Not at all, and neither is his recruiting. Forcing kids out is what is bull, I don't want calipari as our coach

Hawg Red

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 15, 2015, 04:36:54 pm
Woah, man! I was just going off what you said, which was he wasn't going to recruit if there wasn't any room. Then I said that he would have a good sense of who is leaving, therefore he knows how many he needs to recruit and sign. If they didn't end up leaving, then he doesn't have more room. 2-1=1, but 2-0 is still 2... If you need more of a recap, I'll be happy to break it down for you.

Can't reason with some irrationally defensive like him. These are the types of posters that will never criticize the coach no matter how warranted it may be. Super-defensive and irrational. Can't see the logic in valid/reasonable criticism.

lefty08

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 15, 2015, 04:36:54 pm

The way I read your post (and the way it was intended to read) was that the recruiting stopped after Kapita, I don't think that's accurate at all

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:37:58 pm
Bull? I give my opinion on him and it's bull? What if I said I'm aware of a guy at work embezzling money, but I choose not to. Is that bull because I've got a moral compass. MA commits to these guys and I applaud that. Is our coach perfect? Not at all, and neither is his recruiting. Forcing kids out is what is bull, I don't want calipari as our coach

It's bull because MA signed Portis and Kingsley and didn't have room for both.....

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:39:24 pm
The way I read your post (and the way it was intended to read) was that the recruiting stopped after Kapita, I don't think that's accurate at all

Elaborate on that some, then. Who did he continue to recruit? Because there was a pretty good little silent period until around tournament time.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:39:21 pm
Can't reason with some irrationally defensive like him. These are the types of posters that will never criticize the coach no matter how warranted it may be. Super-defensive and irrational. Can't see the logic in valid/reasonable criticism.

Criticism doesn't equal realism. If you think it does I'm sorry. I've got plenty of things to be critical about with regards to or basketball program and MA. Over signing players isn't one of them, and neither is criticism over not bringing in a haul of all Americans every year. Something that has never been done here, and probably never will

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:40:57 pm
Elaborate on that some, then. Who did he continue to recruit? Because there was a pretty good little silent period until around tournament time.

I.called in sick a Lot the last few months and I wasn't able to travel with the coaches as much as usual, wish I could help ya

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:41:30 pm
Criticism doesn't equal realism. If you think it does I'm sorry. I've got plenty of things to be critical about with regards to or basketball program and MA. Over signing players isn't one of them, and neither is criticism over not bringing in a haul of all Americans every year. Something that has never been done here, and probably never will

You're putting words in other people's mouths to devalue their concerns. No one is expecting a "haul of All-Americans" but that doesn't mean we don't expect more aggressive recruiting.

And, again, Anderson over-signed when he signed Portis and Kingsley, so that argument is shot. #realism.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:42:38 pm
I.called in sick a Lot the last few months and I wasn't able to travel with the coaches as much as usual, wish I could help ya

What I thought...

Atlhogfan1

What happened with Kimani Jackson?  Not that I am saying we should have signed him if we could have.  Kapita's commitment affect his recruitment?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 04:46:36 pm
What happened with Kimani Jackson?  Not that I am saying we should have signed him if we could have.  Kapita's commitment affect his recruitment?

Committed to Colorado State yesterday or the day before.

We pulled back.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:45:20 pm
You're putting words in other people's mouths to devalue their concerns. No one is expecting a "haul of All-Americans" but that doesn't mean we don't expect more aggressive recruiting.

And, again, Anderson over-signed when he signed Portis and Kingsley, so that argument is shot. #realism.

Over signed? He wasn't expecting a transfer?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:47:20 pm

We pulled back.

If he only went to Colorado State, I wonder what was wrong with him.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 04:46:36 pm

He signed with Colorado State.  But, he wasn't a difference maker.  At this point we need some difference makers, not sure how many are left, or if we have a shot with any that are left, but we'll find out in the next month or so.

NLRHog92

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:39:24 pm

I'm sorry man, but that's incompetency at its finest. I literally said we shouldn't stop recruiting. That's what cover your bases means...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 04:47:20 pm

We pulled back.

I saw the CSU commitment.  Was just curious if we pulled back and did so for a reason: Kapita's commitment, academics, etc.

I'm not in any way hating or bashing the staff but we knew one of the question marks when they were hired was recruiting.  It has been a staff who has thrived off of academic reaches, athletes who developed into basketball players and recruits who had a connection to them or the program in some fashion.  It has been suggested that a change should be made with at least one assistant.  No reason to be surprised now. 

They deserve some credit.  Arkansas and SEC requirements are a little higher than what the staff faced at UAB or Mizzou in the Big 12.  They used their connections and closed the deal on recruits like Kingsley and Whitt and are signing Kapita whose only connection I am aware of is the same prep school as Kingsley.  The 2016 class is their test as recruiters.  Again, the program has some momentum from the season and the practice facility.  The state of Arkansas appears to be providing some help.  Get it done from now through Nov 18th.  Having a Monk and maybe another solidly rated and respected recruit or two would go a long way in keeping the momentum and fan support that has been gained through next season even if the wins drop off quite a bit. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 15, 2015, 04:50:36 pm
He signed with Colorado State.  But, he wasn't a difference maker.  At this point we need some difference makers, not sure how many are left, or if we have a shot with any that are left, but we'll find out in the next month or so.

I agree.  Was just curious as I've noticed his interest in the last few weeks was elsewhere. 

Big Nasty 34

In before the "go get Kevaughn Allen" comment

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:49:45 pm
Over signed? He wasn't expecting a transfer?

Was he not expecting a transfer and two early departures to the pros this season?

The "can only recruit for the spots open" line is lame. And weak. And I'm proving it to you.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 05:18:38 pm
Was he not expecting a transfer and two early departures to the pros this season?

The "can only recruit for the spots open" line is lame. And weak. And I'm proving it to you.
This is correct.....he should have been trying to fill two more spots FOR SURE no matter what knowing that Portis would definitely consider the NBA and Qualls would also test the waters also. Scrambling around last minute is not what big time programs usually do and we have done this now for 3 straight years.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Danny J on April 15, 2015, 05:24:38 pm
This is correct.....he should have been trying to fill two more spots FOR SURE no matter what knowing that Portis would definitely consider the NBA and Qualls would also test the waters also. Scrambling around last minute is not what big time programs usually do and we have done this now for 3 straight years.

I'd say, at this point, every college coach in the country should over-sign by at least one given how many transfers there are. There were over 700 last year.

lefty08

Quote from: Danny J on April 15, 2015, 05:24:38 pm

Maybe there is an announcement coming, is been 24 hours since the first one declared. Don't judge too quickly

NLRHog92

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 05:26:07 pm
Maybe there is an announcement coming, is been 24 hours since the first one declared. Don't judge too quickly

Do you literally forget what you post? 30 minutes ago you told me to not be shortsighted because you THOUGHT I expected a commit right after Qualls announced. You're all over the place!