Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

Started by WhatsitHOGabout, April 14, 2015, 01:20:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatsitHOGabout

>:(

Really!?

You guys on here crack me up!  Bobby Portis is one player, he is not the team.

We will be better next year.  We may not win as many games but we will be better come tournament time.

Relax..

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on April 14, 2015, 01:20:45 pm

Really!?

We will be better next year.  We may not win as many games but we will be better come tournament time.

Relax..

Are you serious? I have doubts we even make the tourney.

40MINSOFHELL

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 14, 2015, 01:23:25 pm

Come on, get with it brother!!  The sky is the limit!!

(Is that the opposite of the sky is falling?)

Really!?

Relax..

Exactly!! Who needs a 20/10 guy, returning SEC POY!!

We'll never even miss him!!  The sky's the limit!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MB Hog

No guarantees... Portis is tough to replace.  Having Qualls back would help.

But Anderson is gradually improving the quality of our overall team.  That and player development are the keys to long-term success.

Players leave every year.  They eventually leave even if they don't want to.  The NBA thing for Portis is good publicity for the Hogs.  Gives us a little more ammo for recruiting.

If Anderson can continue to improve the team from year-to-year, UA will be fine.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=591682.0

The program will be fine.  It has stability at the top with a staff that knows what they want to do and how to recruit to it.  The dream of a deep NCAAT may just have to wait though. 

Nolan himself in recent years has discussed the need to get one and done type players.  Bobby was two but was they type of program changing/program carrying player Nolan was talking about.  If we get them, this will happen. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Mick Hogger

We got two out of him. If we get Monk we'll probably only just get one. But the program is being rebuilt solidly so we'll be fine.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Nosboar Accubond

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

EastMemphisHog

Really!?

Relax..

I appreciate the "half-full" mentality, but come on..

TheRazorbackGuy

Really!?

Relax..
This past season there were times we needed a consistent scorer that can score anywhere on the court.  Bell was hot and cold.  They say Hannahs will be that guy.  The fact is none of us know what next year's team will look like.  2014/2015 was a good but not great  year but we won just as many close games as we probably should have lost.

TNhawgfan

You do not lose the SEC POY and get better. Even as good as Nolan's teams were, he couldn't easily replace Corliss
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

MAL3

TheRazorbackGuy

pfrg999

It's be interesting next year with a minimum of up to 5 different players...
So what will CMA do.. Can he land some of the big name prospects still unsigned or will he load the end of the bench by grabbing some expendable last minute High school/Juco players that will be gone in 2016.. Or does he save the scollies for 2016 ???   
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

WarPig88

The program has literally gotten better each year under Anderson.

Those acting like it will fall over the ledge because Portis chose the NBA better get your hate out there while you can because if we have a good season again next year it will be beyond time for you guys to drop your agenda.

Can we at least wait for next season before the female dogging and chicken little'ing begins?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 14, 2015, 02:05:21 pm
You do not lose the SEC POY and get better. Even as good as Nolan's teams were, he couldn't easily never replace Corliss.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 02:39:51 pm
The program has literally gotten better each year under Anderson.

Those acting like it will fall over the ledge because Portis chose the NBA better get your hate out there while you can because if we have a good season again next year it will be beyond time for you guys to drop your agenda.

Can we at least wait for next season before the female dogging and chicken little'ing begins?

Could we at least see things in terms of reality??

Losing Portis probably means we will not be dancing next year.

Is that OK with you??  If it is, then I get why you aren't really much concerned.

hawginbigd1

I don't get all the optimism, we are possibly losing all of the next level talent on our roster, but we shouldn't be the least bit concerned.

WarPig88

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 02:44:49 pm

Is that OK with you??  If it is, then I get why you aren't really much concerned.

You are exactly the type my post was about.

The program is going to fall off the ledge type. You don't know anything as of yet but you are already acting as prophet.

I am not saying expectations should be as high as they would have been with Portis and Qualls coming back, but acting like you are right now is cowardly to say the least.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 02:43:39 pm

I see what you did there, but in fairness to Nolan, the year after Corliss and Scotty left, we still went to the Sweet 16 (as a 12 seed).
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 14, 2015, 02:51:43 pm
I see what you did there, but in fairness to Nolan, the year after Corliss and Scotty left, we still went to the Sweet 16 (as a 12 seed).

Now that Portis is gone besides Watkins who plays even average defense?

pfrg999

The sky is not falling we just only have 9 players (11 counting Whitt and Kapita) So CMA will have to use some Jedi skills and land three players of the close to the skills of the players that are leaving... That's why people make millions!!!

Dusty Hannah - RS Junior
Keaton Miles - Senior
Manny Watkins - Junior
Anton Beard - Soph
Jibril Durham - Senior
Jacorey Williams - Senior
Anthlon Bell - Senior
Moses Kingsley - Junior
Trey Thompson - Soph
(Jimmy Whitt) - Freshman
(Ted Kapita) - Freshman
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hoglady

Well - if we lose Qualls it will be extremely difficult to get to the tourney next year.
We will have lost 4 of our 5 starters from last year , along with most of out points and rebounds.
And who in the heck's gonna score?
If Qualls comes back we might make the tourney but most likely won't be a better team.
Wish Portis the best - but very disappointed for the program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2015, 02:53:52 pm

Now that Portis is gone besides Watkins who plays even average defense?
Beard is better than average

snortman

Really!?

Relax..

Wrong they have lost (4) players, and maybe Qualls. Hogs will be lucky to play .500 ball in conference.

Portis-Best Player
Madden -3rd best player
Harris-4th best player

If Qualls leaves, you are losing the 4 best players off of the team period.

We would have lost several more games this year if not for Portis carrying the team.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: snortman on April 14, 2015, 03:35:26 pm
Wrong they have lost (4) players, and maybe Qualls. Hogs will be lucky to play .500 ball in conference.

Portis-Best Player
Madden -3rd best player
Harris-4th best player

If Qualls leaves, you are losing the 4 best players off of the team period.

We would have lost several more games this year if not for Portis carrying the team.

Arkansas had 12 games last year decided by 5 points or less.

HF#1

I like the wait and see how it shakes out approach.  Yes we lost a lot but we do have some guys here that are not inept and we have a couple guys (maybe more) coming in that will play right away and are pretty good players. 

Wait and see, wait and see. 

If we do have a down year, you might as well enjoy the wins and don't bitch about whatever our record might be.  Nothing will change coaching wise.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HF#1 on April 14, 2015, 03:45:00 pm
I like the wait and see how it shakes out approach.  Yes we lost a lot but we do have some guys here that are not inept and we have a couple guys (maybe more) coming in that will play right away and are pretty good players. 

Wait and see, wait and see. 

If we do have a down year, you might as well enjoy the wins and don't bitch about whatever our record might be.  Nothing will change coaching wise.

HF, how can you complain about the coach if its a rebuilding season? Our fans will understand if next year is a rebuilding year

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on April 14, 2015, 03:01:49 pm
Beard is better than average

Anton is an excellent off-ball defender, IMO the best we had this year.  That was one thing he brought in spades that we badly needed.

As an on-ball defender, he really needs to improve.  I have some confidence he will.  A full year in the program, weights, etc., and another year old will all help him, or at least it should.

bigdaddyhawg

Man, I had no memory of that.  Thanks for sharing that!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 02:49:16 pm
You are exactly the type my post was about.

The program is going to fall off the ledge type. You don't know anything as of yet but you are already acting as prophet.

I am not saying expectations should be as high as they would have been with Portis and Qualls coming back, but acting like you are right now is cowardly to say the least.

No, I'm not.  Expectations should most certainly be lowered.  If they are exceeded, that's freaking awesom.  If they're not, then we could have something to talk about.

bigdaddyhawg

TNhawgfan shares a great perspective here.

That nat runner up team lost more than we're losing right now, but the program stayed at a high level.

Yes, the program then was running at a higher level, but I think the comparison is still valid.

Will it be acceptable to miss the tourney after only one year back?

I'll hang up and listen.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 05:13:20 pm
No, I'm not.  Expectations should most certainly be lowered.  If they are exceeded, that's freaking awesom.  If they're not, then we could have something to talk about.

People shouldn't get incredibly angry about a team that could be rebuilding next year

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 05:16:25 pm
TNhawgfan shares a great perspective here.

That nat runner up team lost more than we're losing right now, but the program stayed at a high level.

Yes, the program then was running at a higher level, but I think the comparison is still valid.

Will it be acceptable to miss the tourney after only one year back?

I'll hang up and listen.
So made it to the NCAA tourney one time in five years? I don't think that's good. If we don't make it this upcoming season.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2015, 05:18:57 pm

People shouldn't get incredibly angry about a team that could be rebuilding next year

IMO it depends are just what "rebuilding" means.

Dropping back to 5th or 6th in the conference, being a bubble team, with some quality wins and good play throughout the year, then I won't gripe much.

But dropping back to the bottom third, no smell of the dance at all, lots of embarrassing losses, then "I'm gonna blame some of the people in this room.  And for that I don't forgive."

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 05:23:16 pm
IMO it depends are just what "rebuilding" means.

Dropping back to 5th or 6th in the conference, being a bubble team, with some quality wins and good play throughout the year, then I won't gripe much.

But dropping back to the bottom third, no smell of the dance at all, lots of embarrassing losses, then "I'm gonna blame some of the people in this room.  And for that I don't forgive."

I highly doubt that happens, regardless of whether Qualls stays or not. This team has talent now at multiple positions. We may rebuild, but i doubt we recede to the bottom 3rd. Mike wouldn't allow it. You can see that he takes every loss personally

This is who we have for next season as of this moment:

Anton Beard   G   6-0   195
Jabril Durham   G   6-1   185
Dusty Hannahs   G   6-2   203
Jimmy Whitt   G   6-3   175
Anthlon Bell   G   6-3   185
Manny Watkins   G   6-3   208
Michael Qualls   G   6-6   210
Keaton Miles   F   6-7   212
Ja. Williams   F   6-8   218
Ted Kapita    F   6-9   240
Trey Thompson   F   6-9   260
Moses Kingsley   F   6-10   230

Looks like we have 12 players atm? Does this mean we have no scholarships available? I thought we would have two free since Babb and Portis are departing

Otis

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2015, 05:18:57 pm

So we're now rebuilding after one decent year? I assumed rebuilding meant having a down year after several years of sustained success, but that's just me.

Justifiable Hogicide

I don't think after 5 years that Mike is going to allow beating Wofford to be his high water mark.
It may be tough going but we'll be ok.

lefty08

I'm proud of Bobby, even though I was certain he was coming back.

That being said I think next years team has a chance to be even better defensively. We play sound defense and we can replace bobbys rebounds we can be as good. Scoring will take care of itself in this system
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

yraciv

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 14, 2015, 01:23:25 pm

Teams lose players to the draft every year and others step up.  I'm not sure we'll be better, maybe slight regression, but I have little worry Bearrd will step up, Madden is replaceable, and someone can fill Harris's role.  We still have spots to fill so I have no idea what the opening day lineup looks like yet. 

Kenny Dowell Loggains

April 14, 2015, 08:53:33 pm #41 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:04:03 pm by gguillo
Losing Bobby is a huge blow.  Wouldn't be surprised if we finish behind UK, FL, Auburn, LSU, & A&M next season.  These teams are bringing in monster recruiting classes.  UK isn't done recruiting, they'll land 2 more 5-star guys by the May deadline.

If Qualls leaves too, ouch.

Soooie21

WarPig88

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 05:13:20 pm

Listen Chicken Little,

You have this program in the toilet earlier in this thread. Next season's team will have more top 100 players on it than we had just a few years ago even if Qualls leaves also.

Losing Portis hurts, but this program has hardly fallen over the edge as some of your earlier posts were intimating.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 09:48:58 pm
Listen Chicken Little,

You have this program in the toilet earlier in this thread. Next season's team will have more top 100 players on it than we had just a few years ago even if Qualls leaves also.

Losing Portis hurts, but this program has hardly fallen over the edge as some of your earlier posts were intimating.

If Qualls stays its likely a bubble hunt or the NIT. If Qualls leaves it could be the CBI tournament. Either way next year is a rebuilding year whichever way you want to slice it.

kp72204

1. You have to be consistent for more than 1 year before it's considered a rebuilding year.
2. The limit is the sky not the sky is the limit.

I think BP leaving will be felt initially but after 10-15 games everyone will know there role and start producing more like a team instead of waiting for 2 players to win/lose a game. When they showed them celebrating they're tourney invite they got a taste of where they're supposed to be and now they're a veteran team who WILL get back this upcoming season. Somebody is gonna show out this season. Write it down now!!!!

Of course if i'm wrong my bad is only 5 letters to write.

latrops

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 14, 2015, 02:44:49 pm

Strange way for a fan to think, especially if Qualls returns.  Losing Portis is cause for concern.  However, two more players can be signed (and there are still some good JUCO and conventional recruits uncommitted) and the guys we already have committed are well regarded.  I just don't see any point in conceding anything already.  Give it a chance to play out.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 09:48:58 pm
Listen Chicken Little,

You have this program in the toilet earlier in this thread.

I don't think this is accurate.  I was talking about the worst case scenario about which I would not be a happy boy.

Didn't say that's where we were going to be.

I've said many times I think I'm going to enjoy watching next year's team, that that team might be able to play really good defense.

But that was before we lost Nick Babb, so ... I'm not quite as positive about next year as I was.

But I never predicted the toilet.  Go back and reread that post if you need help.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: latrops on April 15, 2015, 08:49:36 am
Strange way for a fan to think, especially if Qualls returns. 

No, it's not at all.  BP was our only consistent scorer.  Bobby was the anchor point for that team, and he's going to be missed.

I'm just tempering my expectations, and IMO that's a wise thing for a fan to do from time to time.

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on April 15, 2015, 08:49:36 am
Strange way for a fan to think, especially if Qualls returns.  Losing Portis is cause for concern.  However, two more players can be signed (and there are still some good JUCO and conventional recruits uncommitted) and the guys we already have committed are well regarded.  I just don't see any point in conceding anything already.  Give it a chance to play out.

It is just reality right now. This last season team, without Portis, would not have made the NCAAT. Maybe not have made the NIT. Right now, until we see who ends up on next years team, one has to assume the team will take a step back. You do not easily replace the conf player of the year.

Now, do two newcomers combine to replace his numbers? Maybe. Does Kingsley pick up some of the slack? He is just such a different player than BP, hard to see that, especially on offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE