Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing Portis leaves Coach Anderson with big work ahead

Started by Mr. Porkleone, April 14, 2015, 12:38:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

Awesome for Bobby, he'll do well in the NBA.  But we must find several big men. Can Moses fill this gap? I don't know.  Bobby had a presence and he was a force. This is a blow no matter how you slice it.  Our expectations for a big year next year just took a hit. We must recruit big men and some shooters.  Now we wait on Qualls to announce.

Danny J

I like Moses but he is not even remotely on the same level as Portis. The gap will have to be filled by a couple guys. Just curious to see who we sign going forward now that we have two spots open.

b-ash

Meanwhile, A&M gets to keep D. House.  Anybody who watched our game with them could see he was the most NBA ready player on the floor, but they get him to stay.  Was it the injury?  Why does every good/great player seem to flee Arkansas (in all sports)?

40MINSOFHELL

Now we're the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC next year.

PorkRinds

Quote from: b-ash on April 14, 2015, 12:43:20 pm
Meanwhile, A&M gets to keep D. House.  Anybody who watched our game with them could see he was the most NBA ready player on the floor, but they get him to stay.  Was it the injury?  Why does every good/great player seem to flee Arkansas (in all sports)?

Well, FLowers and JWill both stayed in football so...

Breems

You do not replace once-in-a-decade players. Everyone will have to step up.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2015, 12:47:45 pm
Well, FLowers and JWill both stayed in football so...

I'm guessing he was referring to basketball??..??..

ricepig

Quote from: Breems on April 14, 2015, 12:50:07 pm

No doubt, some will have to pickup some major slack...

code red

Quote from: Danny J on April 14, 2015, 12:42:21 pm
I like Moses but he is not even remotely on the same level as Portis. The gap will have to be filled by a couple guys. Just curious to see who we sign going forward now that we have two spots open.
Agreed...oh well last year was fun.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

I was going to suggest a thread separate from Bobby's should be started.  He deserves congrats and good luck without us discussing(arguing) life without him.

It is a guard driven system and unfortunately we lost a little depth with Babb's departure.  Nothing that can't be replaced.  But it will be someone new to the system and may not happen till 2016.  As it is though, Beard and Whitt should be more Mike-type guards.  We'll still have the shooting(albeit maybe still erratic and inconsistent) of Bell plus Hannahs and Watkins' basketball IQ. 

We really need Kapita to be fully recovered mentally and physically to where he can get as ready as possible from a stamina standpoint to provide help. 

We'll also find out if this staff is capable of developing Moses.  I'm guessing his 11-12 mpg will finally increase.  Hopefully he will learn decision making on defense combined with the staff putting him in positions of strength on defense and not in bad positions to foul or be ineffective.  Let him be the great shotblocker/rim protector he looks like he can be. 

The scoring should shift to the backcourt without Portis and Harris' sometimes contribution.  And hopefully the defense will get better at times although with the need to play players like Bell I'm sure there will be lapses. 

Not too late to get help in the late period either. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogz87

Let me start off by saying Portis made the correct decision.  He's a guaranteed 1st rounder and possible lottery pick.  On top of that he just finished a sophomore season where he won SEC POY and was named a 2nd team All-American. 

However, as a fan of the Razorbacks, and wanting nothing but the best for this program's long-term success, we really needed him to stay to really get the ball rolling in the Mike Anderson era.  With Portis (and Qualls) back for one more season, I think we're at worst a Sweet 16 team next season, and possibly can make an Elite 8 or even Final 4 run with the right match-ups.  That would've really built a lot of momentum for the program in terms of national perception and for Coach Anderson on the recruiting trail.

Now, even if Qualls leaves we're going to take a step back.  We'd be better than we were in 2013 and 2014, but our ceiling is likely a 1st or 2nd round exit in the NCAA Tournament.  If Qualls leaves, then we're right back to where we were in 2013 and 2014. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2015, 12:52:10 pm
I'm guessing he was referring to basketball??..??..

Well, maybe.  But I would have to have completely misinterpreted this portion..

jry04

Well, everyone in the country is saying Monk is the best player to come out of Arkansas since Corliss. While different positions, are you saying Arkansas will have 2 once in a decade players in one decade?

TheRazorbackGuy

If Qualls leaves then next year is a rebuilding year but I might be ready for some new guys. Rebounding is not always a Negative.

Hawg Red

Danuel House is projected as a 2nd round pick next year. Bobby is going to be a solid 1st rounder this year.

Dropkick

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jry04

uhh, what? House is good, but will be lucky to be a 1st round pick ever. He has a slightly better projection than Qualls.

The NBA does not base their assessment of a player on one game, like you are doing.

The game after he lit us up, he went 6/20 and had 15 points v Auburn. The next game he was 0/10 against Florida. He had 7 games in which he scored single figures, and averaged just 3 rebounds and 2 assists per game.

Bobby on the other hand, had just 2 games where he scored single digits, and he played about 8-10 more games than House.

MikePiazza

Seeing lots of folks already predicting gloom and doom for next year. Until the schedule is finalized and we know the personnel, it's silly to predict anything.

Are they going to win 27 games and be on the cusp of the Sweet 16? Probably not, but that doesn't mean they can't win 22-23 games and be on the tourney bubble.

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Atlhogfan1

Arkansas Razorbacks
NO NAME POS HT WT CLASS HOMETOWN
55 Keaton Miles F 6-7 212 JR Dallas, TX
33 Moses Kingsley F 6-10 230 SO Abuja, Nigeria
22 Jacorey Williams F 6-8 218 JR Birmingham, AL
1 Trey Thompson F 6-9 260 FR Madison, AR
F Kapita

31 Anton Beard G 6-0 195 FR North Little Rock, AR
24 Michael Qualls G 6-6 210 JR Shreveport, LA
21 Manuale Watkins G 6-3 208 SO Fayetteville, AR
5 Anthlon Bell G 6-3 185 JR Memphis, TN
4 Jabril Durham G 6-1 185 JR Desoto, TX
3 Dusty Hannahs G 6-2 203 JR Little Rock, AR
G Whitt

The roster as of now for next season.  I didn't edit their class from the copy and paste.  Most of you can figure it out.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

navyhog24

We'll be a bubble team next season. Oh well. Good luck Bobby

TheRazorbackGuy

You need to relax. This is a business decision. Would you rather eat on campus and play for free or go play against the best basketball players in the world and make millions?

Quit crying you would have done the same.

Marshfieldhog

I hate the NBA with a passion. I think we are screwed next year, zero inside scoring. Pretty disappointed, I don't blame Portis. Just disappointed that it appears Anderson didn't recruit to this possibility. I just don't see any scoring guys inside.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 14, 2015, 01:07:44 pm
Seeing lots of folks already predicting gloom and doom for next year. Until the schedule is finalized and we know the personnel, it's silly to predict anything.

Are they going to win 27 games and be on the cusp of the Sweet 16? Probably not, but that doesn't mean they can't win 22-23 games and be on the tourney bubble.

It is way too early to guess at how next season will go. 

The_Iceman

Meanwhile, A&M gets to keep D. House.

And add a Top 5 recruiting class. they are going to be very good next year.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 14, 2015, 01:08:32 pm
I hate the NBA with a passion. I think we are screwed next year, zero inside scoring. Pretty disappointed, I don't blame Portis. Just disappointed that it appears Anderson didn't recruit to this possibility. I just don't see any scoring guys inside.

I really doubt MA was caught unaware. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 14, 2015, 01:09:23 pm

Even if its Way too early, the SEC will be Way better next year

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 14, 2015, 01:08:32 pm
Got to start over again it seems.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2015, 01:11:25 pm
I really doubt MA was caught unaware. 

He probably wasn't, he screwed up last year by not signing an inside scorer. Thompson is a project, Kapita is a question mark, Kingsley can't score and hands are suspect. Qualls staying would help, he leaves and it's going to go bad next year.

navyhog24

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 14, 2015, 01:14:09 pm
He probably wasn't, he screwed up last year by not signing an inside scorer. Thompson is a project, Kapita is a question mark, Kingsley can't score and hands are suspect. Qualls staying would help, he leaves and it's going to go bad next year.

Add in that we still have Jacorey and Miles. The inside game is very bad for us.

WhatsitHOGabout

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 14, 2015, 01:15:35 pm
Add in that we still have Jacorey and Miles. The inside game is very bad for us.
Inside scoring will be our downfall next year.

40MINSOFHELL

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2015, 01:13:03 pm
Even if its Way too early, the SEC will be Way better next year

It is relative to where you are rising from and in this case it has been mediocrity to crap for the majority.  Yes the conference improved this past season and looks like it has a chance to again next season.  That is good for us in the long term. 

Kevin

where the program is as of today, does nothing more than offer up threads for the staunch supporters to tell all the wonderful things anderson has done & project he will do.

and for the anderson doubters to point out the flaws.

again, nothing will get accomplished, except some vacations for some posters.

i hope are new practice facility can recruit some great players
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on April 14, 2015, 01:16:15 pm

And aside Watkins who can constistantly defend on this team

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on April 14, 2015, 01:16:15 pm

That may depend partially on how well Beard and Whitt do at breaking down defenses. 

NeverYeild

Let's take next year off and put all players, coaches and resources into recruiting Monk!

The_Iceman

Quote from: NeverYeild on April 14, 2015, 01:21:54 pm
Let's take next year off and put all players, coaches and resources into recruiting Monk!

I before E except after C

NeverYeild

Atlhogfan1

What has been "lost":

Game Statistics
Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
Bobby Portis 36 29.9 17.5 8.9 1.2 1.1 1.4 1.6 .536 .737 .467
Rashad Madden 36 27.2 9.6 3.7 4.6 0.8 0.1 2.3 .424 .862 .377
Alandise Harris 35 21.4 7.6 3.3 1.5 0.8 1.0 1.2 .475 .722 .281
Nick Babb 26 4.8 0.7 0.8 0.5 0.2 0.1 0.2 .318 1.000 .333

About 35ppg, 16reb, 7 assists, 3 steals

Number 1,3 and 5 scorers
Top in assists by a wide margin
Top 2 in 3pt %
1,3 and 4 rebounders in reb per game
3 of top 5 FT%

This team also had the lowest steals per game since Coach A returned.

How is it replaced?  Some returners production per minute suggests they could make up some of it in increased minutes.  I don't know that some will see increased minutes though(Bell).

The assists part shouldn't be a concern as a team.  Coach A's teams have always done well in that area. 

pfrg999

Well we are now down two... Whitt and Kapita will be great but still down two one being a All-American and one an up and comer.. Lots good players out there.. It's not how you open.. It's how you close... MA has to close or we just take a year with what we have and wait for 2016....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

The_Iceman

Video of Kapita's first game this season after sitting out with an injury. Obviously rusty. His minutes start at the 21:20 mark. Doesn't play anymore after he comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGw_Voea7kY

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: pfrg999 on April 14, 2015, 01:45:28 pm
Well we are now down two... Whitt and Kapita will be great but still down two one being a All-American and one an up and comer.. Lots good players out there.. It's not how you open.. It's how you close... MA has to close or we just take a year with what we have and wait for 2016....

I think great is a little too bold. These kids will be good but will still be freshman, don't expect veteran production from them

Beaverfever

Most of the teams in next year's sweet sixteen will be replacing just as much talent as we'll be replacing.  We're losing one elite player and a couple of guys who would be backups for most top 25 teams.   Portis stayed a year longer than we thought he ever would.  It's time to raise the bar.  If Qualls returns next year then the team's goals should be as high as ever.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Beaverfever on April 14, 2015, 02:09:43 pm
Most of the teams in next year's sweet sixteen will be replacing just as much talent as we'll be replacing.  We're losing one elite player and a couple of guys who would be backups for most top 25 teams.   Portis stayed a year longer than we thought he ever would.  It's time to raise the bar.  If Qualls returns next year then the team's goals should be as high as ever.

Speak for yourself. I think the general feeling around here was that he'd play 2 season at Arkansas.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jry04 on April 14, 2015, 12:55:15 pm
Well, everyone in the country is saying Monk is the best player to come out of Arkansas since Corliss. While different positions, are you saying Arkansas will have 2 once in a decade players in one decade?
Depends on where he goes. If he comes to Arkansas, he is a once in a lifetime player. If he goes to Kentucky, he is an overrated player that we didn't need to get back to the promised land. So says hogville
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 14, 2015, 01:09:23 pm
Correct....we don't even know what our roster will look like...

Will Qualls stay or go?
Who are the three we will sign? Will they all be able to play right away or will one be a transfer?
Do we end up signing a guy who is very highly rated that comes out of nowhere?
Will Kapita be 100% and able to play immediately?

Just too many questions to answer. We will know within next couple months what we can look forward to.