Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Qualls just

Started by kingcam25, April 13, 2015, 12:06:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on April 13, 2015, 04:06:28 pm
Nobody said it couldn't be done, just it made things a lot harder.

P.Bev's situation was not common, not many start out overseas then end up starting on an NBA team.  He was actually on a few different radio shows telling his story, because it doesn't happen often.

Most people quit before they make the league if they are bounced around as many times as PBev.

onebadrubi

Hawg Red

Quote from: Karma on April 13, 2015, 04:03:14 pm
Patrick Beverly started out in the Ukraine.

Exception that proves the rule. That's why he's the only one you could come up with off the top of your head.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 13, 2015, 02:12:16 pm
Still trying to understand why many consider the NBA as the end all be all fo4 measuring success.  So unless you get a job with the number one company in your field, you aren't successful?

Has anyone said he wouldn't be a "success" if he doesn't play in the NBA? We just don't want to see him waste an extremely good opportunity to make playing in the NBA (the number one company) more likely.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: kingcam25 on April 13, 2015, 12:06:49 pm
Qualls just told a fella I know in class that he was announcing today. He didnt say which one but my buddy got the impression that hes gone. Just passing this along.
The team banquet is tonight. There is some thought that if they're staying Qualls and Portis will announce it there.

On the other hand others are saying that they didn't want to throw a damper on the banquet and that's why they haven't announced that they're coming out. That would come tomorrow.

Guess we'll see if anything shakes out tonight.

wbbfan32

Doesn't mean much, but just saw the majority of the team in the HPER playing pick-up. There were others gone, but Qualls was not there. Portis was playing.

razorfrog

Qualls is staying and Portis is gone.  I have a very good source on this.  Mark it down

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2015, 04:24:13 pm
Has anyone said he wouldn't be a "success" if he doesn't play in the NBA? We just don't want to see him waste an extremely good opportunity to make playing in the NBA (the number one company) more likely.
I guess I read and comprehend differently than you Dogtown.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: razorfrog on April 13, 2015, 05:27:47 pm
Qualls is staying and Portis is gone.  I have a very good source on this.  Mark it down
Name him/her.

Not saying you're FOS, but if I had a nickel for every hogville source I could finally start paying lanny for my subscription.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

870hogfan

If you're wrong?

Adam Stokes

I've never seen a situation where there were so many sources from both sides.  I feel if there were an announcement tonight at the banquet, both are staying.  If there is no announcement it doesn't mean that both are gone, simply because it would be awkward if one said he was staying and the other just kept quiet.

intelligence

The suspense is killing me

jry04

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 13, 2015, 06:57:04 pm
I've never seen a situation where there were so many sources from both sides.  I feel if there were an announcement tonight at the banquet, both are staying.  If there is no announcement it doesn't mean that both are gone, simply because it would be awkward if one said he was staying and the other just kept quiet.
Exactly. I think it is safe to say if we do not hear anything tonight at least one is gone.

pigture perfect

At this juncture I'm only trusting Mike A, Mike I, or the Ugly Uncle.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ADavisTheGOAT

Never trust anyone on Hogville, simple as that.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hog in MO

Quote from: MB Hog on April 13, 2015, 12:35:14 pm
But hasn't he had a child to provide for pretty much since day one as a Razorback?  If so, he's made it this long providing without going pro.  Why not stick around one more year and try to get to the NBA directly. 

He really seemed to finally start figuring out how to finish more consistently around the basket, in the half-court game, at the end of the season.  If he could do that for a full season next year, he becomes a much more likely straight-to-the-NBA player.

If he leaves now, he is likely headed overseas.  While he might be providing for his child, he won't be seeing the child very much unless he takes him/her with him… and then pulls the child away from the rest of the family.

Not my decision to make, but sure seems like one more year could be worth it.
Exactly what I'm thinking - He's had a child to provide for all along. Why make it about that now when he is so close to graduating? He's made it thus far.  And to me, the "sure thing" is sticking around to get that degree - that's the best thing he could do for his (and his child's) future. Everybody has dreams, and sometimes you have to step out on faith in order to make them reality.  But I think he is risking more by going than by staying.

panhandlepig

Quote from: intelligence on April 13, 2015, 06:57:15 pm
The suspense is killing me

It's not killing me.. oh heck, who am I kidding?   I want to know if they are coming back. I want them to both play next year for the Arkansas Razorbacks.  I really, really do and don't mind admitting it.

I hope they make the best decision for them and their futures despite what I want. Decisions like these are fraught with indecision because there are so many variables and nobody can see the future.

I have a feeling both would like to stay on an emotional level. They may need to disregard emotion and make a business decision. That is often hard to do.

intelligence

Quote from: panhandlepig on April 13, 2015, 07:36:58 pm
  It's not killing me.. oh heck, who am I kidding?   I want to know if they are coming back. I want them to both play next year for the Arkansas Razorbacks.  I really, really do and don't mind admitting it.

I hope they make the best decision for them and their futures despite what I want. Decisions like these are fraught with indecision because there are so many variables and nobody can see the future.

I have a feeling both would like to stay on an emotional level. They may need to disregard emotion and make a business decision. That is often hard to do.

I agree 100%. I support them either way they chose

Quote from: Soooie21 on April 13, 2015, 04:05:06 pm
Ok thats one...keep them coming...not saying all...but in the history of the NBA that is all you can come up with...
Quote from: Soooie21 on April 13, 2015, 04:05:06 pm
Ok thats one...keep them coming...not saying all...but in the history of the NBA that is all you can come up with...
That's the problem, you did say all.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 13, 2015, 04:01:45 pm
Thanks for volunteering an opinion.
it was one you should listen too.

TeedupHigh

I really think he needs to spend a lot of time with Scotty Thurman.  He thought he would make the jump to..............

HSVhogfan2

I heard right before the SEC from someone who would know that Portis was staying. I was shocked because I Thought he would go for sure. Since then, it's been crickets. If he's told anyone, they ain't talking to anyone.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

moses_007

We'll have a great team next year if they both stay, a mediocre team if they both leave. 

latrops

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2015, 12:59:46 pm
I agree with your thinking. Declaring for the draft, going unselected, and ending up in the D-League or overseas really doesn't guarantee you're going to provide much better for you family, if at all. D-League is incredibly low. He has a real shot to play himself into the 1st round if he comes back and shows improved ball-handling ability. And if he ends up in the same boat, it is what it is. But at least he didn't forgo that opportunity.

Michael may have gotten some really good offers from overseas, but this immediate fan reaction that all will be well if he just goes overseas is ill-informed, IMO. Qualls is taking an enormous risk by leaving right now. He has a huge, huge flaw in his game that is critical to his success at the next level.

The overseas route is great for good players that couldn't get into or stick in the NBA.  Some develop their games enough to eventually wind up with an NBA team (Patrick Beverly)....though that is not the norm.  Seldom should a player leave eligibility on the table to go pro when the NBA is not a virtual lock.  Players can be paid very well in those foreign leagues, but most don't start out with "set for life" type deals.  Seventeen seniors were drafted in the 2014 NBA draft.  Most in the 2nd rd, but many of those are now or have been on NBA rosters. 

hoglady

I'm trusting the announcement from Qualls and Portis, whenever they make it.
Learned my lesson with DGB - won't make that mistake 2 times.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

panhandlepig

Quote from: hoglady on April 13, 2015, 08:44:18 pm
I'm trusting the announcement from Qualls and Portis, whenever they make it.
Learned my lesson with DGB - won't make that mistake 2 times.

I never gave a darn about DGB because he wasn't a Razorback. Qualls and Portis are and always will be.
   I can't imagine all the variables and "what-ifs" they are having to factor in. It is mind-boggling to me all the ends and outs of this.
   I know they are getting good advice and weighing the pros and cons of everything.

I don't envy them having to make this choice but am glad they get to make it. The earned it.

hoglady

Quote from: panhandlepig on April 13, 2015, 08:56:38 pm
  I never gave a darn about DGB because he wasn't a Razorback. Qualls and Portis are and always will be.
   I can't imagine all the variables and "what-ifs" they are having to factor in. It is mind-boggling to me all the ends and outs of this.
   I know they are getting good advice and weighing the pros and cons of everything.

I don't envy them having to make this choice but am glad they get to make it. The earned it.

We all wanted and thought DGB would be a Razorback.
The lesson learned with DGB - I don't get my hopes up or believe anything about what a player is going to do. I think sometimes they don't even know their own decision until the last minute.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

EastMemphisHog

At least he said his buddy and not his "source"

RedBird5

You may have a source.   Or you might have picked most logical option of four outcomes.  I'll go with the latter

regi

If he is announcing today, it will be the latest Hog PC since the motorcycle bandit came to town.

panhandlepig

Quote from: hoglady on April 13, 2015, 09:10:59 pm
We all wanted and thought DGB would be a Razorback.
The lesson learned with DGB - I don't get my hopes up or believe anything about what a player is going to do. I think sometimes they don't even know their own decision until the last minute.

I understand what you were saying. I have learned the same thing with regard to speculation. Not just in sports but in all things. 

We will know what Mike and Bobby are going to do when they tell us.

LRHog234

Were they not discussing on 99.5 at like 5 PM qualls announced he was staying? Was only in the car for 2 minutes but that's what I took from it

Mike Irwin

Then your very good source must know what his roommate doesn't know.

Manuale Watkins said tonight that Portis has gone back and forth on his decision several times.

-Blu

Quote from: LRHog234 on April 13, 2015, 09:55:00 pm
Were they not discussing on 99.5 at like 5 PM qualls announced he was staying? Was only in the car for 2 minutes but that's what I took from it

They tweeted it as well, and said it came from a "source". What we've learned after tonight is nobody really knows.  Every single scenario has been quoted as having a source now.  I guess nobody ever thought it's possible they don't know yet and still gathering information. 

Augustus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 13, 2015, 05:20:25 pm
The team banquet is tonight. There is some thought that if they're staying Qualls and Portis will announce it there.

On the other hand others are saying that they didn't want to throw a damper on the banquet and that's why they haven't announced that they're coming out. That would come tomorrow.

Guess we'll see if anything shakes out tonight.

Mike, how much press/media was at the banquet tonight? Regardless of their decision, wouldn't that come into play into them announcing at the banquet?

Also, I can see them & Coach A maybe not wanting them to announce at the banquet? Regardless of how they choose, if they announce at a Team banquet, that pretty much makes the banquet about them instead of the Team?

MountieDawg

Quote from: rhames on April 13, 2015, 12:28:13 pm
Why would he be in class if he was going?

Why not get class credits you worked 4 months on plus APR reasons.
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2015, 01:12:15 pm
Yeah, just makes too much sense for Qualls to come back. His stock can only really go up so he isn't risking anything. He's had a child since he got here. From the outside looking in (and I admit I'm not privy to his personal life), it would seem like everything he worked for was being put on the line when it doesn't have to be.

So if you stay a year your stock can only rise? Numerous players stay an extra year and their stock drops because the thought in the NBA is if you stay 4 years your not a player. Plus, MQ relies on his athletic ability a lot and an injury would really hurt his stock. The kids have to do what is best financially for them.
SEC!

Hawg Red

Qualls' stock right now is second round to undrafted, so yes, it can pretty much only go up. You're trying to paint my opinion on one specific player with a very broad brush. Whether or not a player's stock can go up by returning to school depends on the player. In Qualls's case, he came in with labels like "project" and "raw." But he improved markedly each year he's been here. He still needs to improve a couple things before he's a legitimate NBA prospect. This isn't a situation where the player needs to get out while the getting is good. That could be the argument for Portis but that's not the case for Qualls. There's a market for seniors as late first/early second round picks, and that's probably where Qualls wants to be. He's not there right now. What you're talking about applies more to Portis than Qualls. It's almost as if you're suggesting that all players should leave early and not play through their eligibility. But it doesn't work like that. Some guys have to play 4 years to get their stock to a decent level, and Qualls is one of those guys. How is coming back to school going to hurt him when he's viewed as far from a guarantee to get drafted?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 13, 2015, 07:08:37 pm
Never trust anyone on Hogville, simple as that.
Probably the best policy after all of the wrong floating around over our last few coaching hires.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2015, 06:36:28 am
Qualls' stock right now is second round to undrafted, so yes, it can pretty much only go up. You're trying to paint my opinion on one specific player with a very broad brush. Whether or not a player's stock can go up by returning to school depends on the player. In Qualls's case, he came in with labels like "project" and "raw." But he improved markedly each year he's been here. He still needs to improve a couple things before he's a legitimate NBA prospect. This isn't a situation where the player needs to get out while the getting is good. That could be the argument for Portis but that's not the case for Qualls. There's a market for seniors as late first/early second round picks, and that's probably where Qualls wants to be. He's not there right now. What you're talking about applies more to Portis than Qualls. It's almost as if you're suggesting that all players should leave early and not play through their eligibility. But it doesn't work like that. Some guys have to play 4 years to get their stock to a decent level, and Qualls is one of those guys. How is coming back to school going to hurt him when he's viewed as far from a guarantee to get drafted?
Scottie Thurman
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 14, 2015, 07:23:53 am
Probably the best policy after all of the wrong floating around over our last few coaching hires.

I have been thinking about this a bit.  Maybe like the coaching hire, what happens will seem totally out of left field, look bad at the beginning, then turn itself around in a big way over time.

Hawg Red

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on April 14, 2015, 11:35:51 am
I have been thinking about this a bit.  Maybe like the coaching hire, what happens will seem totally out of left field, look bad at the beginning, then turn itself around in a big way over time.

Don't think there's a left field here. There are people expecting both to leave, both to stay, and either/or to leave. All bases covered on this one. And I really don't think very many people will be surprised at all at any of those outcomes.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2015, 11:39:14 am
Don't think there's a left field here. There are people expecting both to leave, both to stay, and either/or to leave. All bases covered on this one. And I really don't think very many people will be surprised at all at any of those outcomes.
The only thing that would surprise me at this point would be either asking to transfer, or Portis saying he is returning for 2 years. Those are the only possible scenarios that would be considered a shock.

code red

I see no reason for Qualls to stay if Portis leaves.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jry04

Quote from: code red on April 14, 2015, 11:52:09 am
I see no reason for Qualls to stay if Portis leaves.
Really? Does Portis leaving somehow change Qualls' draft stock?

If anything, Portis leaving would help Qualls' draft stock, because he would have a chance to be "the man" next season. I love Qualls, but realistically he will be lucky to go in the 2nd round this year. Return, and he gets his degree plus has an opportunity to play himself into a guaranteed contract. The positives outweigh the negatives as far as returning for him. With that said, he may just need the money bad enough to leave.

WooPig90

I really hope both stay but if not, I hope they announce quickly so we know who to go after before these recruits decide on where they are going

MB Hog

Quote from: jry04 on April 14, 2015, 11:55:28 am
Really? Does Portis leaving somehow change Qualls' draft stock?

If anything, Portis leaving would help Qualls' draft stock, because he would have a chance to be "the man" next season. I love Qualls, but realistically he will be lucky to go in the 2nd round this year. Return, and he gets his degree plus has an opportunity to play himself into a guaranteed contract. The positives outweigh the negatives as far as returning for him. With that said, he may just need the money bad enough to leave.
Exactly what I was thinking.  With all the talk about how Scotty Thurman should have stayed (in retrospect), it would seem to apply to Qualls, too.  If Scotty had stayed when Corliss left and shown that he could lead this team without his dynamic counter-part, that might have gotten him a closer look by the NBA.  Instead, he got caught up in the "we came in together, we're going to leave together" mentality, and he missed that opportunity.

Just because Portis and Qualls got a lot of publicity as the highest scoring duo in the SEC doesn't mean it makes sense for Qualls to leave if Bobby does.

Of course, I hope they both stay and win an SEC championship together (and maybe NCAA), but Qualls should stay regardless of Portis' decision.

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Atlhogfan1

Scotty got a look from the NBA.  He lacked athleticism, lateral quickness, footspeed, the ability to defend in space, the ability to create his own shot consistently.  He was a great college player.  Qualls has athleticism.  Can he refine it more as he is still more of a raw talent? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Paul

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 13, 2015, 01:27:08 pm
When a player leaves college and begins to play at the professional level, their game doesn't have to stop progressing.  IF Qualls were to leave, he would begin to work on his deficiencies for the pro game with other professional players and professional coaches.  The practice times would not be limited.
Agree  Look how Pat Beverly progressed & is having a nice career.  Hog fans are gonna be po'ed because we're selfish...I'm the worse but I can see how he would go.  The middle will likely be more congested without BP & MQ's numbers would likely fall