Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not a credible source, but: (re: Portis/Qualls)

Started by The_Iceman, April 08, 2015, 02:37:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: kingcam25 on April 10, 2015, 12:36:14 pm
Qualls was in class today my sister has a class with him and she sent me a picture

He is a semester from graduating after this.  No reason not to finish this one no matter his decision. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: kingcam25 on April 10, 2015, 12:36:14 pm
Qualls was in class today my sister has a class with him and she sent me a picture

Doesn't really mean much.  He could be planning to finish out his degree before next basketball season and then play in Europe. 

jry04

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 10, 2015, 12:54:53 pm
Doesn't really mean much.  He could be planning to finish out his degree before next basketball season and then play in Europe. 
He isn't finishing his degree in the summer. He will have to go to one more semester.

Three and Snout

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2015, 03:37:33 pm
Qualls picked up his schedule this week for next semester, not that that means anything.

Just throwing this out there...Qualls is enrolled in summer and fall classes, but Portis is not.  Could Qualls withdraw from those classes before they start?  Could Portis enroll in summer or fall before either term begins?  Yes to both questions.  However, I wonder why Portis wouldn't go ahead and enroll in classes if he plans to come back or is still on the fence with his decision...

azhog10

Quote from: Three and Snout on April 10, 2015, 02:39:16 pm
Just throwing this out there...Qualls is enrolled in summer and fall classes, but Portis is not.  Could Qualls withdraw from those classes before they start?  Could Portis enroll in summer or fall before either term begins?  Yes to both questions.  However, I wonder why Portis wouldn't go ahead and enroll in classes if he plans to come back or is still on the fence with his decision...
I can't speak to summer classes, but isn't there a timeframe in which Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores are allowed to enroll? I thought when I was in college seniors, juniors seemed to get dibbs on classes much earlier than the underclassmen......Those dates may have already passed however.

I would also imagine that Portis will have plans for the summer and may not have those solidified in a way that he is able to put together a summer class schedule yet. Obviously I am purely speculating. Also odd that you know who has and hasn't enrolled yet.

Three and Snout

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2015, 02:40:52 pm
I can't speak to summer classes, but isn't there a timeframe in which Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores are allowed to enroll? I thought when I was in college seniors, juniors seemed to get dibbs on classes much earlier than the underclassmen......Those dates may have already passed however.

Athletes of all grade levels and (non-athlete) seniors have first priority for pre-registration.

azhog10

Quote from: Three and Snout on April 10, 2015, 02:49:16 pm
Athletes of all grade levels and (non-athlete) seniors have first priority for pre-registration.
Thanks, I couldn't remember how that worked......

michaels

Bobby getting info back tomorrow. straight from assistant coaches mouth

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: michaels on April 10, 2015, 02:54:50 pm
Bobby getting info back tomorrow. straight from assistant coaches mouth

From the nba about his draft stock?

ricepig

Quote from: Three and Snout on April 10, 2015, 02:39:16 pm

I don't have any idea, just repeating what I was told. I don't know if Portis has enrolled or not, i didn't ask, and they didn't offer.

thirtythree

BP is at least doing his homework. You can't fault him for that. I personally think he needs at least 1 more year. He kind of fell off some as the year was ending. If he decides to go, then best of luck to him.

I think Qualls is coming back. His improvement from year to year has been very good. Just think how good he could be next year. Scary!

Hawg Red

Quote from: thirtythree on April 10, 2015, 04:09:09 pm
BP is at least doing his homework. You can't fault him for that. I personally think he needs at least 1 more year. He kind of fell off some as the year was ending. If he decides to go, then best of luck to him.

I'm not sure what we could fault Bobby for in this situation.

Randy Johnson

I was called an idiot and the thread was locked when I suggested Portis needs to return. Be careful what you say.

thirtythree

Quote from: RazorWorld on April 10, 2015, 04:16:38 pm
I was called an idiot and the thread was locked when I suggested Portis needs to return. Be careful what you say.

evidently you don't know me and my history here.lol.

TrueBlue

Love Portis but if you had never seen him play (and never heard from the "experts") and only watched the SEC tourney and the NCAA tourney - what would your evaluation be? Just curious...

Mine would be - he has some potential but not quite there yet on strength and the ability to create around the basket.

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2015, 02:40:52 pm

I would also imagine that Portis will have plans for the summer and may not have those solidified in a way that he is able to put together a summer class schedule yet. Obviously I am purely speculating. Also odd that you know who has and hasn't enrolled yet.

He must have a good "source" on the hill.

latrops

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 10, 2015, 05:33:56 pm
Love Portis but if you had never seen him play (and never heard from the "experts") and only watched the SEC tourney and the NCAA tourney - what would your evaluation be? Just curious...

Mine would be - he has some potential but not quite there yet on strength and the ability to create around the basket.

If I only saw Dekker play against Arizona and Kentucky, I'd think he is a high lottery pick.  If I only saw him play against Duke, I'd think he goes undrafted.  Portis seemed to be in an offensive slump his last few games.  He played over 30 games this year, and about 70 over the last couple of years.  The last three are no more important than all the others.

collins4heisman

Quote from: latrops on April 10, 2015, 06:02:37 pm
If I only saw Dekker play against Arizona and Kentucky, I'd think he is a high lottery pick.  If I only saw him play against Duke, I'd think he goes undrafted.  Portis seemed to be in an offensive slump his last few games.  He played over 30 games this year, and about 70 over the last couple of years.  The last three are no more important than all the others.
lol yes they absolutely are. Playing on the big stage against real teams compared to powder puffs in regular season separates the men from the boys and shows who the real competitors are

Hog Pharm

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 10, 2015, 05:33:56 pm

He had 18 and 14 against North Carolina. If that's not "there yet" then I don't know what is

latrops

Quote from: collins4heisman on April 11, 2015, 12:36:22 am
lol yes they absolutely are. Playing on the big stage against real teams compared to powder puffs in regular season separates the men from the boys and shows who the real competitors are

First, Portis' numbers weren't that bad down the stretch.  He was getting decent looks, but the perimeter shot wasn't falling.  He was still getting rebounds and playing sound defense.  NBA scouts and personnel aren't much worried about the stats, they are concerned with how a player projects.  Does he have shooting touch?  Does he see the floor well?  Is he athletic enough to play in various schemes?  Does he catch the ball well?  Does he pass it well?  Does he make correct decisions?  How is his footwork?  Can he put the ball on the floor?  All that stuff matters more than how he played against Kentucky.  If he does most things well, even if he isn't great today, he can project to improve quite a bit.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Hog Pharm on April 11, 2015, 12:43:54 am

He had 18 and 14 against North Carolina. If that's not "there yet" then I don't know what is

He has extraordinary footwork, a good jump shot, he works hard on the other end when his shot is not falling. His hands are good but not great. Has a game similar to Chris Bosch at the same points in their career.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hog Pharm on April 11, 2015, 12:43:54 am

Shooting 5 of 15 still needs work. If we shot 33% every game, we would lose most. He almost had as many turnovers (4) as made shots - that does not bode well for a big man.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 11, 2015, 01:09:06 pm
Shooting 5 of 15 still needs work. If we shot 33% every game, we would lose most. He almost had as many turnovers (4) as made shots - that does not bode well for a big man.

Plenty of go-to guys, esp in college, learn how to get it done on off shooting nights. All of then have games where they go for 5-15 or something like that. If he had gone just 7-15 and had 22 and 14 everybody would be talking about how he ended on a solid game.

Three and Snout

Quote from: 454545 on April 10, 2015, 05:53:11 pm
He must have a good "source" on the hill.

My "source" is now saying that a "rumored" registration hold is preventing possible enrollment for summer and/or fall.  Will Portis enroll once the hold is lifted?  My "source" doesn't know.

jry04

Quote from: Three and Snout on April 11, 2015, 04:18:56 pm
My "source" is now saying that a "rumored" registration hold is preventing possible enrollment for summer and/or fall.  Will Portis enroll once the hold is lifted?  My "source" doesn't know.
That would likely be a hold placed on it due to not being advised, yet. All athletes have to be advised prior to enrolling.

Three and Snout

Quote from: jry04 on April 11, 2015, 04:33:16 pm
That would likely be a hold placed on it due to not being advised, yet. All athletes have to be advised prior to enrolling.

Or something like parking tickets, library fine, etc.

Let's say it's not an advising hold, meaning he has at least been advised.  Does that give anyone more hope that he will enroll eventually once the other type of hold is lifted?  Or does him being advised not change your opinion regarding if he's planning to stay or leave?

Pancetta

If BP wants to get into a class, do you really think he's not getting in even if he doesn't register until the first day of the fall? 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Dwight_K_Shrute

JB is horrible.  Compared to him Grant and Vernon are Mike & Mike
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

carolinahogger

Portis is interesting.  His numbers look better to me than he looks on the court, if that makes any sense.  And I'm not sure that it does.

On the other hand, Okafor looks like a beast on the court and his numbers (points per game and rebounds per game) are very similar to those of Portis.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pancetta on April 11, 2015, 11:46:34 pm
If BP wants to get into a class, do you really think he's not getting in even if he doesn't register until the first day of the fall? 

BP won't have any trouble getting registered for classes.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Mr. Porkleone

MountieDawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 08, 2015, 02:37:57 pm
Josh Bertaccini ‏@RedZone921

Hearing from multiple sources that Bobby Portis will declare for the NBA draft while Michael Qualls will return to Arkansas for senior year.

Looking more credible each day.... I think Josh has a very good morning show.
SEC!

MikePiazza

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 15, 2015, 12:30:13 pm

Not like he was the only person to say Portis was declaring. His show is decent at best. I just don't like his style whatsoever. He doesn't fit in down here.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 12, 2015, 12:38:42 am
JB is horrible.  Compared to him Grant and Vernon are Mike & Mike

I love Grant and Vernon, when Josh goes to commercial I always flip over to Grant and Vernon to see how women's golf is doing or about Grant's golf tournament over the weekend at Paradise Valley.
SEC!

jry04

He wasn't exactly going out on a limb in saying that. He got this right, but he does not have many sources, and usually has to watch each event from home due to not getting media credentials.

His show is good if you listen to anything but the information. He said we had to win 12 or 13 SEC games and 24+ total games just to make the NCAAT. Turns out it got us a 5 seed.

He said earlier this week that the baseball team needs to win 20 SEC games because of how awful our schedule is to get into the NCAAT. Our SOS will be top 30 in the country...

thebignasty

April 15, 2015, 12:50:58 pm #85 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:59:14 pm by thebignasty

He's still a moron.

Atlhogfan1

The Arkansas audience is very soft and sensitive.  I feel for those who try and discuss or cover the Hogs who want to give honest opinions.  I'm not talking about the leeches.  It is something I do not miss about living there.  In the larger markets, we get a much more honest assessment or opinion about our regional sports.  In Arkansas, you are usually getting what they think you want to hear.  This is why I respect Irwin who does try and give his thoughts and does so in a less filtered way.  I feel for him over what happened at the end of the Nutt era when he tried to bring some insight and some in Arkansas still didn't want it.  From what I remember of Bo, he tried bringing the state perhaps the most professionally sounding and produced show.  Like talk show hosts outside of the state and in larger markets, he would put out thoughts for discussion even if they hadn't been his own opinion.  I'm not sure if you have beaten him down yet or not.  So when I see some of the opinions of Josh I take it with a grain of salt.  I think some of you would be thrilled if Hog coverage were limited to Grant Hall, Rick Scaeffer, Randy, Clay, Dudley, Otis, Bob Holt and Harry King. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 01:10:12 pm
The Arkansas audience is very soft and sensitive.  I feel for those who try and discuss or cover the Hogs who want to give honest opinions.  I'm not talking about the leeches.  It is something I do not miss about living there.  In the larger markets, we get a much more honest assessment or opinion about our regional sports.  In Arkansas, you are usually getting what they think you want to hear.  This is why I respect Irwin who does try and give his thoughts and does so in a less filtered way.  I feel for him over what happened at the end of the Nutt era when he tried to bring some insight and some in Arkansas still didn't want it.  From what I remember of Bo, he tried bringing the state perhaps the most professionally sounding and produced show.  Like talk show hosts outside of the state and in larger markets, he would put out thoughts for discussion even if they hadn't been his own opinion.  I'm not sure if you have beaten him down yet or not.  So when I see some of the opinions of Josh I take it with a grain of salt.  I think some of you would be thrilled if Hog coverage were limited to Grant Hall, Rick Scaeffer, Randy, Clay, Dudley, Otis, Bob Holt and Harry King. 
I do not always agree with Bo, but I enjoy his shows. He has the best guests, and he is open to other opinions for the most part.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 01:12:49 pm
I do not always agree with Bo, but I enjoy his shows. He has the best guests, and he is open to other opinions for the most part.

I haven't heard him in years.  I'm guessing he has improved which would mean he is probably bringing about the best local show a small market can expect.  Especially one that is such a Razorback fish bowl.  I should have given Arnell some credit too when he had his local show as he at least joined Irwin in trying to bring an honest look. 

bighog2255

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 08, 2015, 02:37:57 pm
Josh Bertaccini ‏@RedZone921

Hearing from multiple sources that Bobby Portis will declare for the NBA draft while Michael Qualls will return to Arkansas for senior year.

oops

MikePiazza

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 15, 2015, 03:00:34 pm
oops

Exactly why I was hesitant to think he was credible.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.