Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog 5 @ the Real Deal tonight

Started by gogamer, April 01, 2017, 12:13:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gogamer

Thought I'd make this it's own thread.  Others will want to contribute that saw the action.

I went to the game.  Here some quick thoughts.

Overall - That game started with high energy.  House was packed (P.A.R.K court 1).  I've been to a few of these Real Deals and the speed of this Hog 5 was truly exceptional.  Felt like a big time game for about 2 minutes.  But after multiple traps, steals, runs, Joe hitting 3 back to back to back silky smooth 3s, Henderson flying around the basket making dunks and put backs at will it was 21-6.  Game over and it turned into an all star game against an unmatched opponent.  Fun to watch though.  Oh yeah.... their defense was stifling full court trapping Hawg Ball!  Their opponent could not get it across the timeline on most occasions until they called off the heat.

Justice Hill - TRUE POINT GUARD!  Without a doubt the fastest player on the court with great vision.  Can't remember exactly but he sped and dished dimes at least two of the three Joe 3 pointers early, then was toying with their defense the rest of the game.  11 assists.  He did make a few drives into the lane that initially looked fantastic but got packed trying a Kareem Reid dipsy doodle.  He won't get away with that in the SEC for sure.  If he's got Henderson, Perry and Joe to pitch to he won't need that move.  High energy when he's on and goes after rebounds.  Can fly above the rim with ease.

Isaiah Joe - Going to be the best shooter since Dusty Hannahs when he arrives.  I know I hear all about CJ Jones shooting ability but I don't see it like I do with Joe.  Don't get me wrong CJ will step up next year but he'll have competition the next.  Aside from Joe's good form and high percentage.... he can play some defense!  That will get him on the court and he will deliver.  I would guess better than 50% from three in this game.

Ethan Henderson - I was really surprised with this kid.  Haven't seen much talk at all about him and he hasn't filled up the Parkview stat sheet that I know of, but he was a bundle of energy and one highlight dunk after the other.  Dunks usually don't impress me that much but his energy and desire to be where he needed to be made them impressive.  Great rim protector and good defense.  He did over pursue a few times defending some guards that were quicker than him but that will be corrected in MA's D.  Exciting to watch Ethan.  He needs more press!

Desi Sills - Seemed quiet offensively (9pts), but lock down defender.  Every trap they made he was a part of.  Always had great position crouched low with hands moving up from the floor.  Sills Defense will get him on the floor often for MA.

Reggie Perry - Big.... Power.... Forward!  During warm ups I thought "this guy is going to crush them!"  And I think he would have if not for Henderson being the Tasmanian devil running the floor and slamming everything that got close to the rim.  Again I think that the game got out of hand so quick that Perry began coasting.  Spent some time out around the 3 point line, even made one, but when he got into the middle and needed to grab a board and tip it or stick it back.... he did with ease.  Their opponent had no size to combat Perry and Henderson.  I'd love to see him against some competition.... I bet he turns it on!

They had another big.... and I mean BIG PF that would spell Perry and Henderson.  Dude could move three guys out of his way to get to the rim.  Made a clear out down the baseline on 2 defenders and shot the ball over the back of the backboard and swished it like he did it all the time!  Not sure who he was.

Again overall these guys had exceptional speed, energy and I think above all DEFENSE!  I know they were way over matched for their opponent but you could see their trapping defense and running ability is going to be special as they move towards the next level. 

I'm no analyst but that's what I saw.   

Razorod

Thanks a bunch! Nice run down. Did you happen to notice DJ Williams-Weaver? He played some as well. More of a hybrid-forward type. 6-7, 6-8 fairly thin. He's from Houston and joined the Hawks for this summer. Coming off knee surgery, but has been to Arkansas Elite camp and a couple of unofficial visits.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

navyhog24

I think the big guy you're talking about is Caleb Stokes

BigSexyHog

Thanks for sharing.  Can't wait to see what these guys bring to the team
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

gogamer

Quote from: Razorod on April 01, 2017, 06:40:42 am
Thanks a bunch! Nice run down. Did you happen to notice DJ Williams-Weaver? He played some as well. More of a hybrid-forward type. 6-7, 6-8 fairly thin. He's from Houston and joined the Hawks for this summer. Coming off knee surgery, but has been to Arkansas Elite camp and a couple of unofficial visits.

Yes!  I didn't realize who it was until I got home and started looking up players.  He didn't stand out but hit a 3 or two and didn't miss his free throws.

gogamer

Oh yeah and another thing..... Hogs Macon, Beard, CJ, Bailey and Thomas were on hand along with Dusty watching the game.  Macon had on his "Arkansas Mentality" shirt with "Fastest 40" down the sleeve.  That's not an indication that he's staying but it's not an indication that he's leaving either!  Got a selfie with him and told him thanks, that was the funnest season I've witnessed since the late 90's. 

Razorod

Quote from: gogamer on April 01, 2017, 08:01:48 am
Yes!  I didn't realize who it was until I got home and started looking up players.  He didn't stand out but hit a 3 or two and didn't miss his free throws.
My guess is he that he will ease into more playing time as the season goes on. I think there is still some wariness regarding the knee--don't want to push it too quickly--plus he's the new guy on a loaded team.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

gogamer

More....

BigDayDay and Garland both looked strong in the all-star practice.  Going to be fun to see them come along.  But the reason for this post, SOMEONE TELL COACH TO GET ON Gabriel Osabuohien!!  I know we're recruiting him but lock him up!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: gogamer on April 01, 2017, 12:13:12 am
Thought I'd make this it's own thread.  Others will want to contribute that saw the action.

I went to the game.  Here some quick thoughts.

Overall - That game started with high energy.  House was packed (P.A.R.K court 1).  I've been to a few of these Real Deals and the speed of this Hog 5 was truly exceptional.  Felt like a big time game for about 2 minutes.  But after multiple traps, steals, runs, Joe hitting 3 back to back to back silky smooth 3s, Henderson flying around the basket making dunks and put backs at will it was 21-6.  Game over and it turned into an all star game against an unmatched opponent.  Fun to watch though.  Oh yeah.... their defense was stifling full court trapping Hawg Ball!  Their opponent could not get it across the timeline on most occasions until they called off the heat.

Justice Hill - TRUE POINT GUARD!  Without a doubt the fastest player on the court with great vision.  Can't remember exactly but he sped and dished dimes at least two of the three Joe 3 pointers early, then was toying with their defense the rest of the game.  11 assists.  He did make a few drives into the lane that initially looked fantastic but got packed trying a Kareem Reid dipsy doodle.  He won't get away with that in the SEC for sure.  If he's got Henderson, Perry and Joe to pitch to he won't need that move.  High energy when he's on and goes after rebounds.  Can fly above the rim with ease.

Isaiah Joe - Going to be the best shooter since Dusty Hannahs when he arrives.  I know I hear all about CJ Jones shooting ability but I don't see it like I do with Joe.  Don't get me wrong CJ will step up next year but he'll have competition the next.  Aside from Joe's good form and high percentage.... he can play some defense!  That will get him on the court and he will deliver.  I would guess better than 50% from three in this game.

Ethan Henderson - I was really surprised with this kid.  Haven't seen much talk at all about him and he hasn't filled up the Parkview stat sheet that I know of, but he was a bundle of energy and one highlight dunk after the other.  Dunks usually don't impress me that much but his energy and desire to be where he needed to be made them impressive.  Great rim protector and good defense.  He did over pursue a few times defending some guards that were quicker than him but that will be corrected in MA's D.  Exciting to watch Ethan.  He needs more press!

Desi Sills - Seemed quiet offensively (9pts), but lock down defender.  Every trap they made he was a part of.  Always had great position crouched low with hands moving up from the floor.  Sills Defense will get him on the floor often for MA.

Reggie Perry - Big.... Power.... Forward!  During warm ups I thought "this guy is going to crush them!"  And I think he would have if not for Henderson being the Tasmanian devil running the floor and slamming everything that got close to the rim.  Again I think that the game got out of hand so quick that Perry began coasting.  Spent some time out around the 3 point line, even made one, but when he got into the middle and needed to grab a board and tip it or stick it back.... he did with ease.  Their opponent had no size to combat Perry and Henderson.  I'd love to see him against some competition.... I bet he turns it on!

They had another big.... and I mean BIG PF that would spell Perry and Henderson.  Dude could move three guys out of his way to get to the rim.  Made a clear out down the baseline on 2 defenders and shot the ball over the back of the backboard and swished it like he did it all the time!  Not sure who he was.

Again overall these guys had exceptional speed, energy and I think above all DEFENSE!  I know they were way over matched for their opponent but you could see their trapping defense and running ability is going to be special as they move towards the next level. 

I'm no analyst but that's what I saw.

Excellent post, thanks for it.

mhuff

rtr

We have been lacking speed and quickness, glad to hear this.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.