Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long selected as one of top ADs

Started by Karma, August 17, 2017, 02:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

carolinahogger

Well, that'll show Bama who's in charge!

Hawghiggs

Well let's hope this helps his resume.

GoHogzzGo

Am I the only one who likes JL lol?
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hollywood870

Yeah they like it when we're nowhere near the BCS year in and year out. They love their little pet then.

sickboy

RME

sowmonella

Some really serious issues in here. Long is an outstanding AD.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

island hog

rljjr

Anyone with a lick of sense likes what JL does for the athletic program as a whole. There are some decisions he's made I'm not fond of (slobberin' Hog, baseball uniforms, etc), but his business sense is fantastic and for me the good outweighs the minor stuff.

MountainHomeHogger

I think he has done an amazing job of leading Arkansas since he has taken over.  Everyone has there ups and downs, but I can guarantee you he has had more positives than bad!

hamARchy in the USA

ha ... the quote says exactly what we knew.  He's on the list for one reason only.  He fired Petrino, the coach that so many people across the country hated.

hawgon

He successfully navigated the tricky waters the school faced when it switched to Pepsi products.  That's worth something.

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

RME

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 17, 2017, 04:49:20 pm
As soon as he overhauls the baseball program our transformation under his leadership will be complete.

Who would you have hired over Bielema at the time of his hire? Or over Anderson at the time of his hire?

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 17, 2017, 04:49:20 pm
As soon as he overhauls the baseball program our transformation under his leadership will be complete.

Mid 60s for football and mid 90s for basketball. You post like we fell from prominence as national title contenders when JL took over.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hawk

Other than the pepsi thing, I think he does a great job.

ShadowHawg

Kevin

the ad's will say all the right things with the doors open, but a lot of them are different behind closed doors. I find it no surprise that they would vote him that high.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HamSammich

August 17, 2017, 07:08:38 pm #21 Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:19:33 pm by HamSammich
Quote from: carolinahogger on August 17, 2017, 03:15:35 pm
Well, that'll show Bama who's in charge!

I'm not going to lie guys.... have a field day, but long is pure crap. He is more worried about his image and resume than our state. Despise him. Prayed he would leave for va tech or virgina where ever he matriculated from.

Think about it... Mr Broyles was one of the best ADs ever... do you apologists really see a lot of similarities??? If you do you need to re-evaluate life imo .

hawgmasta

Cmon deltaboy, call him a carpet bagging SOB who's trying to take down our university ! Woo Pig!!!

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Quote from: HamSammich on August 17, 2017, 07:08:38 pm
I'm not going to lie guys.... have a field day, but long is pure crap. He is more worried about his image and resume than our state. Despise him. Prayed he would leave for va tech or virgina where ever he matriculated from.

Think about it... Mr Broyles was one of the best ADs ever... do you apologists really see a lot of similarities??? If you do you need to re-evaluate life imo .
People on hogville literally celebrated the day Broyles retired. Revisionist history if you say otherwise.

hoghearted

Quote from: Karma on August 17, 2017, 08:10:20 pm
People on hogville literally celebrated the day Broyles retired. Revisionist history if you say otherwise.

No doubt there were people frustrated with JFB and his relationship with the Nutter. Folks felt like he stayed around a little too long. That, however, doesn't detract from the overall level of his performance as AD.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Poker_hog

From the article:

"The blemish for Long is an obvious one: Arkansas hasn't won really big in football or men's basketball. My biggest appreciation for Long is that he took a stand and fired Bobby Petrino after he lied and embarrassed the university. Not every AD would do that given Petrino's success at the time. It took some courage. "

So basically him firing cbp trumps the terrible last 5 years in football.  I've never seen anyone get so much mileage from a firing.  I could see if he made a great hire, but anyone can fire a coach.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hawgmasta on August 17, 2017, 07:18:55 pm
Cmon deltaboy, call him a carpet bagging SOB who's trying to take down our university ! Woo Pig!!!

/thread
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Seebs

Nothing like skimming the filth out of the broth with a thread like this. We are lucky to have Jeff Long. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Don't love or hate JL.

He brought the electronic age into our sports programs and improved marketing/branding.

He hasn't made a quality hire in B-ball or Football without the decision pushed on him or being part of a bromance.  I still can't believe it took JJ to call him to distract him from Grobe and little Terry to finally take a call from BP.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Wildhog

I'm pretty indifferent to Long.  Will be interested to see who his next football hire is.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 08:55:47 pm
I'm pretty indifferent to Long.  Will be interested to see who his next football hire is.

Long won't be making it, it's further down the road than you think.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

AirWarren

Headhog32

AirWarren

hawgon

Quote from: AP85 on August 17, 2017, 09:11:14 pm
Yep, the bumpkins are redfaced and angry.

Who are you who is so versed in the ways of science?

Headhog32

Quote from: hawgon on August 17, 2017, 09:28:49 pm
they call him AP85

Headhog32

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgon on August 17, 2017, 09:28:49 pm

Who are you who are you you of who?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on August 17, 2017, 09:00:11 pm
Long won't be making it, it's further down the road than you think.

You said 16 regular season wins over the next two years.  I don't think that happens.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Headhog32

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 09:51:57 pm
You said 16 regular season wins over the next two years.  I don't think that happens.
you don't thin we win 16 season wins the next 2 years???? I feel like were climbing as a FB program right now, with our schedule and the potential we have for this year I see us easily winning 8 games maybe 9-10. and next year will only be better, Phil even predicts next year for us to be solid. just IMO I don't see us not winning 8+ for the next 2 year

TebowHater

The financial stability of our program is like the best in the country, which is remarkable given the facilities expansions we have/are performed, high coaches salaries, etc. USA Today and/or WSJ featured us as their like the ideal model of an athletics department.

Wildhog

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 17, 2017, 09:59:33 pm
you don't thin we win 16 season wins the next 2 years???? I feel like were climbing as a FB program right now, with our schedule and the potential we have for this year I see us easily winning 8 games maybe 9-10. and next year will only be better, Phil even predicts next year for us to be solid. just IMO I don't see us not winning 8+ for the next 2 year

I think we've had a good enough team to win 9+ regular season games each of the last two (maybe three) years, but we always seem to find a way to underachieve.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HamSammich

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 10:03:54 pm
I think we've had a good enough team to win 9+ regular season games each of the last two (maybe three) years, but we always seem to find a way to underachieve.

Just stop man. You are about to be buried because you carry truth.

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 17, 2017, 10:05:51 pm
Just stop man. You are about to be buried because you carry truth.

Meh.  They'll say what they say.  It's the internet.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Headhog32

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 10:06:37 pm
Meh.  They'll say what they say.  It's the internet.
im not knocking you man, I think we had a good enough offense to win around 9 the last 2 years. but we did not have a good enough defense too. and thats one reason we didn't. and our defense hasn't proved anything to me yet I just feel like there climbing  with all the new recruits we got, the coaching change. IMO I'm just saying the defense is on the climb. but I can easily be wrong!

Wildhog

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 17, 2017, 10:09:40 pm
im not knocking you man, I think we had a good enough offense to win around 9 the last 2 years. but we did not have a good enough defense too. and thats one reason we didn't. and our defense hasn't proved anything to me yet I just feel like there climbing  with all the new recruits we got, the coaching change. IMO I'm just saying the defense is on the climb. but I can easily be wrong!

I think we have the potential to be very good. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Headhog32

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 10:10:32 pm
I think we have the potential to be very good.
yes and I will agree with you on what you was saying about the coaching, years past we have had the talent, but no coaching. I think its make or break time now. we have the players there should be no excuses on not winning 8-9 games

hawgon