Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Soccer Thread

Started by HogFansReunited, May 14, 2017, 12:05:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFansReunited

Quote from: runninhog on October 12, 2017, 07:59:54 am
We still don't understand youth soccer in America. If we're going to consistently compete, we'll need to shift more toward the youth programs developed by Ajax, Bayern and Barca.

I completely agree with this.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738130-bruce-arena-resigns-as-usa-mens-national-team-coach-after-1-year

Bruce Arena resigned. I was very happy when he first came back but it seems the team is back to playing with no heart like they were playing before Arena took the job.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

Cotton

Good Riddance Bruce,

Your turn Sunil.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Cotton on October 13, 2017, 01:13:40 pm
Good Riddance Bruce,

Your turn Sunil.

I think Sunil is more of a problem than Arena.

Member #3568

Cotton

Quote from: HogFansReunited on October 13, 2017, 01:18:36 pm
I think Sunil is more of a problem than Arena.
Arena selected Graham Zusi as starting right back.  He should've been left in Honduras that night.

Hiring him was a huge mistake.  I said it a year ago.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

JayBell

Quote from: Cotton on October 13, 2017, 01:55:59 pmArena selected Graham Zusi as starting right back.  He should've been left in Honduras that night.

Hiring him was a huge mistake.  I said it a year ago.

Arena reverted big time in the last four games.  He showed a willingness to think proactively and integrate new, young players in his early games and through the Gold Cup.

He took major steps backwards in the last four games sticking with older players he trusted and running them into the ground.  You can say you thought hiring him was a mistake, but nobody expected him to fail quite like he did.

HoggieStyle

Arena was a band-aid, at best. The players sucked pretty much this entire WC qualifying go-around. There were flashes in the Gold Cup, but we stunk up almost every WC qualifier we played.

Gulati should have been ousted before Klinsmann was shown the door. 

The U-20 and U-17 men's teams both reached the quarter-finals of their respective WC's and there are a couple of guys on the U-17 team that are absolutely legit, so maybe there's hope. Bring one of the youth coaches up. You've got names like Brad Friedel and Tab Ramos and John Hackworth. Give one of them a shot.

Arkstfan

I knew we were screwed with USMNT when Klinsman was starting Matt Besler and Peter Vermes had him benched because Sporting KC was playing better without him.

JayBell

Quote from: HoggieStyle on October 25, 2017, 01:35:39 pmThe U-20 and U-17 men's teams both reached the quarter-finals of their respective WC's and there are a couple of guys on the U-17 team that are absolutely legit, so maybe there's hope. Bring one of the youth coaches up. You've got names like Brad Friedel and Tab Ramos and John Hackworth. Give one of them a shot.

They have proven nothing.  Good coaching at the youth level doesn't necessarily translate to the senior level.  Ramos being such a popular name despite a dearth of senior coaching experience is really weird to me.

JayBell

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 26, 2017, 08:45:10 pmI knew we were screwed with USMNT when Klinsman was starting Matt Besler and Peter Vermes had him benched because Sporting KC was playing better without him.

Klinsmann's worst trait, probably after his overall player selection, and his lineups, and his antagonism.....

Okay, one of the many things Klinsmann was terrible at was integrating new players.  I thought Bob Bradley was a master at this.  He was always willing to call up young players and/or inexperienced guys in good form, but what he would do was slot only one or two of them in at a time with the rest of the regular lineup around them.

When Klinsmann called up new players, he usually played at least 5 or 6 of them together at the same time, including at least a couple of them out of position, and then blame them for failing even though it is exactly what he set them up to do.  Then he would banish them from the team or rarely utilize them.

It killed the development of the team and left them relying on older players for too long.  Pulisic, Gooch, Saief, Acosta, Villafana, Morris, Miazga, Wood, Hedges, Hamid, Nagbe, Horvath etc. should have been integrated into the team far earlier and more effectively.  That was where Arena failed the hardest at the end.

Cotton

Very little discussion of pro leagues on here these days but MLS cup playoffs have been entertaining so far and Liga MX is coming down to the last couple weeks before the Apertura playoffs. If you've never watched MX before, you're missing out.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

JayBell

The new USMNT roster is out and it's loaded with young guns.  That's the way forward.  The silver lining of 2017 is that the right coach(es) could really blaze a new trail with the young stars they have coming up.

The team for 2022 has to be built around Pulisic, Brooks, Yedlin and Wood.  Gonzalez, Horvath and Hamid - who I all mentioned earlier - should make for good competition at goalkeeper.  Other young players like McKennie, Carter-Vickers, Gooch and Sargent will likely get every chance to cement themselves in the full USMNT.

HiggiePiggy

Bump  here is your soccer thread. Was on page 3 I believe. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Cotton

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 01, 2018, 06:57:29 pm
Bump  here is your soccer thread. Was on page 3 I believe.
What ever happened to the original? It was well over 100 pages I think.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Cotton on March 02, 2018, 08:40:10 am
What ever happened to the original? It was well over 100 pages I think.

No idea. I went through about 50 pages and decided I'm not going to continue on. Might have been deleted.  Don't know why it would be though. 

Cotton

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 02, 2018, 08:24:43 pm
No idea. I went through about 50 pages and decided I'm not going to continue on. Might have been deleted.  Don't know why it would be though.
Let's get this one going again then!

This weekend I watched

Morelia vs Atlas
Xolos vs Lobos
Spurs vs Huddersfield
Liverpool vs Newcastle
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal
City vs Chelsea
Leon vs Pumas
Chivas vs America
Toluca vs Pachuca
Sounders vs LAFC

I pretty much keep a soccer game on my main tv at all times. Look forward to any discussion you guys want to have!

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HiggiePiggy

I just went looking for it for you.  I personally do not like or keep up with soccer.  Sorry. 

JoePaul03

I loved the old, original Soccer Thread. It was really Hogville at its best...thoughtful exchanges, good-natured ribbing, a good mix of fans of different clubs, etc. Maybe we can keep it going here.

I cannot believe United pulled that out this afternoon. I hope we pound them this weekend...after finishing off Porto, of course.
WCOB, 2003

Oliver

I'd love to start talking soccer again.  Unfortunately not much for me to say at this point thAt I haven't already said before

Cotton

Quote from: JoePaul03 on March 05, 2018, 04:13:32 pm
I loved the old, original Soccer Thread. It was really Hogville at its best...thoughtful exchanges, good-natured ribbing, a good mix of fans of different clubs, etc. Maybe we can keep it going here.

I cannot believe United pulled that out this afternoon. I hope we pound them this weekend...after finishing off Porto, of course.
I thought we were lucky to salvage a point and Nemanja had other plans!

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Club America dismantled Tauro FC in CONCACAF Champions last night.

Red Bulls represented the MLS well by defeating Xolos of Tijuana.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

4Lions04

I'm glad to see MLS get a couple W's against the Mexican teams. Especially in Mexico. That's huge.

I was disappointed to see Tottenham blow against Juve yesterday. I can't pull for all EPL teams, but I really wanted them to advance.

Cotton

Quote from: 4Lions04 on March 08, 2018, 10:30:32 am
I'm glad to see MLS get a couple W's against the Mexican teams. Especially in Mexico. That's huge.

I was disappointed to see Tottenham blow against Juve yesterday. I can't pull for all EPL teams, but I really wanted them to advance.
Juve's experience won that game. Tottenham was great for 170 minutes across both legs. Hell of a champions league contest that.

Tigres - Toronto last night was great. Osorio won it for the Canadian side in the 89th. Jozy was on the score sheet as well. Tigres is definitely the more talented team and playing in 30 degree weather really hurt them.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

runninhog

Quote from: Oliver on March 05, 2018, 07:53:46 pm
I'd love to start talking soccer again.  Unfortunately not much for me to say at this point thAt I haven't already said before

Me too. I'm a pretty happy camper these days, as Bayern is rolling and could certainly win CL. Jupp is back in the fold, although it appears certain this is his final act. Mia San Mia!

Cotton

First of all, CIAO CAPITANO. Rest in peace Davide Astori #13.

Today we have THE CHAMPIONS (cue Heineken intro).

AS Roma v Shakhtar Donetsk (1-2)

Manchester United v Sevilla FC (0-0)

The Italian giants have their work cut out for them at home but do have a crucial away goal.  United looked in control in Spain last week but if Sevilla finds the net at Old Trafford the Red Devils could be in trouble.  Should be an exciting night (afternoon)!

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

4Lions04

I wish United had an away goal in their pocket (a rule I despise), but Mourinho is Mourinho. Hopefully we are as clinical as we were against Liverpool on Saturday and we put away the few chances we create. If Sevilla get an early goal it will make things really interesting.

Cotton

Quote from: 4Lions04 on March 13, 2018, 09:27:32 am
I wish United had an away goal in their pocket (a rule I despise), but Mourinho is Mourinho. Hopefully we are as clinical as we were against Liverpool on Saturday and we put away the few chances we create. If Sevilla get an early goal it will make things really interesting.
I have a feeling we net one early and sit in deep... which scares me... but Jose finds a way to make it work.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ArkyFan2626

Quote from: Cotton on March 13, 2018, 10:12:23 am
I have a feeling we net one early and sit in deep... which scares me... but Jose finds a way to make it work.

Thoughts on Jose's comments after the game? He seemed pretty DGAF.

Cotton

Quote from: ArkyFan2626 on March 16, 2018, 10:35:50 am
Thoughts on Jose's comments after the game? He seemed pretty DGAF.
Didn't bother me as much as it did some other fans..  Jose's been there before.  He knows our squad isn't quite to the level it needs to be for Champions. People were acting like losing at Old Trafford in the champions is unheard of and he pointed out that he's been there before as well.  Nobody is gonna be in a good mood after crashing out of the UCL and with reporters questioning his tactics and whatnot he wanted it to be clear it wasn't a huge deal.. I don't make any more of it.

That aside, we need to get healthy and get a left back/center back. 

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Did anybody else watch Messi meg Courtois TWICE  ;D

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

INTERNATIONAL BREAK

Huge week coming up with friendlies across the globe as National Teams work to finalize rosters and build cohesion (unless your Juan Carlos Osorio) going into Russia this summer.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

LA Galaxy to sign with Zlatan this week per LA Times.

Yes I worded it that way on purpose  ;)

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ArkyFan2626

Quote from: Cotton on March 16, 2018, 10:40:38 am
Did anybody else watch Messi meg Courtois TWICE  ;D

I did. It was hilarious.

waphill

Quote from: Cotton on March 22, 2018, 10:28:57 am
LA Galaxy to sign with Zlatan this week per LA Times.

Yes I worded it that way on purpose  ;)

The Zlatan had quite the debut. He will now claim he's conquered North America, and will be bored and un- interested the rest of the season.

Cotton

Quote from: waphill on April 02, 2018, 09:03:40 am
The Zlatan had quite the debut. He will now claim he's conquered North America, and will be bored and un- interested the rest of the season.
It was an impressive debut no doubt. What a strike from 40 yards out...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

AirWarren

Portugal and Mexico. That's who I'm cheering for. Brazil possibly. The Brazil vs Mexico game is going to be a good one.

runninhog

Croatia is my dark horse. They have some very skilled, experienced players. France is probably the favorite at this point.

DukeOfPork

Hey, a new soccer thread, eh?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cotton on October 11, 2017, 04:42:39 pm
Pay for Play is the biggest problem with US Soccer.

Yep.  Fix that and you've mostly fixed US Soccer.

This was a really good article in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 21, 2017, 09:47:29 pm
Agreed. Quite disappointing.
I feel like a hater nuked it because he is a hater....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HogFansReunited

Quote from: runninhog on June 30, 2018, 01:56:08 pm
Croatia is my dark horse. They have some very skilled, experienced players. France is probably the favorite at this point.

Great call even if they don't win today.

Member #3568

DukeOfPork

Quote from: runninhog on June 30, 2018, 01:56:08 pm

Yes, well done on your prediction!

During the group stage, a friend asked me who was going to win.  I listed the 4 or 5 usual suspects, but I said "if you're asking me who 'looks' the best, well, Croatia is the best looking team I have seen so far."

I could not have imagined them sustaining that all the way to the final, but every guy on that team seemed to know and embrace his role from the very first game. 

Just a phenomenal run.

McKdaddy

Thank goodness EPL starts in 4 weeks.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

DukeOfPork

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 15, 2018, 07:23:52 pm

The upside to Arsenal no longer having championship-caliber players is that their whole team is well rested after this world cup.  ;)

HogFansReunited

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 15, 2018, 07:23:52 pm

A few years ago in the soccer thread I mentioned that I didn't have a favorite team.  Well, Tottenham has developed into that. Really enjoy their style of play and Kane is fun to watch. Really hope they make a run to win the EPL this year. Seems like they are always in the hunt but fall a little short. I am hoping that I can make a trip to Europe this coming year to see them play in the new stadium.

Member #3568

McKdaddy

Quote from: HogFansReunited on July 16, 2018, 12:55:28 pm
A few years ago in the soccer thread I mentioned that I didn't have a favorite team.  Well, Tottenham has developed into that. Really enjoy their style of play and Kane is fun to watch. Really hope they make a run to win the EPL this year. Seems like they are always in the hunt but fall a little short. I am hoping that I can make a trip to Europe this coming year to see them play in the new stadium.

Good to hear.  A client of mine is a spurs fan.  We try to get together for drinks when our teams face off.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: HogFansReunited on July 16, 2018, 12:55:28 pm

Booo!!

No, I totally get it.  Spurs are an entertaining side to watch right now.  And I think Harry Kane is still going to get better.  He seems to have the drive to improve.

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 16, 2018, 01:10:41 pm
Good to hear.  A client of mine is a spurs fan.  We try to get together for drinks when our teams face off.

Who is your team?

McKdaddy

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 16, 2018, 01:38:31 pm
Booo!!

No, I totally get it.  Spurs are an entertaining side to watch right now.  And I think Harry Kane is still going to get better.  He seems to have the drive to improve.

Who is your team?

My brother-in-law suggested in 2003 or 2004 that a way for me to get into the EPL would be to pick a team and follow them.  I picked Liverpool due to my irrational love of The Beatles (particularly the 1965-70 material).  I didn't know one EPL team from another, I swear.  But my picking the Reds made him sigh loudly and roll his eyes, ha/ha.  It did make EPL more fun to follow having a team to focus on as I began PPV'ing their games many weekends during the season.

McKdaddy

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 16, 2018, 01:38:31 pm

And I think Harry Kane is still going to get better.  He seems to have the drive to improve.

Kane getting better is a scary thought!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 16, 2018, 03:33:22 pm

My brother-in-law suggested in 2003 or 2004 that a way for me to get into the EPL would be to pick a team and follow them.  I picked Liverpool due to my irrational love of The Beatles (particularly the 1965-70 material).  I didn't know one EPL team from another, I swear.  But my picking the Reds made him sigh loudly and roll his eyes, ha/ha.  It did make EPL more fun to follow having a team to focus on as I began PPV'ing their games many weekends during the season.

Yeah, I totally agree.  You have to have a team that you follow and that makes all the difference. 

You've been through some ups and downs with LFC, but they're a hell of a team now.