Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honest Opinion, do you think Arkansas looks better this year than last year?

Started by Ben, April 05, 2017, 12:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 11, 2017, 08:30:57 am
Neither of which has anything at all to do with the topic at hand:  Honest Opinion, do you think Arkansas looks better this year than last year?

On the offensive side of the ball? Yes. On the defensive side of the ball, the Hogs are better suited for the 3-4 rather than the 4-3 so the Hogs should be better there too. I believe Ramsey and Greenlaw will give opposing offenses headaches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on April 11, 2017, 09:13:27 am
I don't believe I said anything about beating Top 5 teams on a weekly basis.  My point was that BP could take a clipboard and have most opponent's DC's scared shitless.  Enos is really, really good...and I'm shickled titless to have him - but he's no BP.

But there is another BP out there, and if we can snag him, we'll be right back into the mix...as it were.

Pre-apology to Muskogee if this appears to be off topic, but I feel it is relevant to the topic...

I separate you from the nerd herd because I like you and respect you regardless of how much we differ in our opinions. You think the next Bobby Petrino is out there and we need to snag him up. I think the next CBP is out there and already on staff. I think Enos is the next best thing to CBP from an offensive standpoint, except more balanced. I think if Enos had been hired in year 1, 2014 would have been a year for the history books.

Also, I think CBB recognizes when changes need to be made because, regardless of what the nerd herd on here says, he does not accept mediocrity and is actively and aggressively trying to win a championship. He fired Chaney and hired Enos which was an excellent move. He fired CRS and moved CPR into the DC spot which I believe will be equally brilliant. I think Mallet and Wilson would have been just as good under Enos as they were under CBP. Of course, this is all just my opinion and subject to scrutiny.

As for beating top 5 teams weekly, how about just once? When did we beat one at all under CBP? The only difference between CBB and CBP is that one year when we were ranked 5th in the country after losing to every really good team we played other than South Carolina. We were the prime example of how media hype can affect rankings more than what happens on the field. CBB has actually done better against the big dogs than CBP did, he just needs to eliminate the stumbles against the weaker teams. CBP struggled against weaker teams too, but he still got the wins. We are literally just a score or 2 away from being better than we were under CBP.

I think that warrants giving the man a little more time to reach our potential, which from my vantage point doesn't have a ceiling. He is sure recruiting for it. Yes Toledo happened, and as it turned out they were actually better that year than anyone gives them credit for. Toledo wasn't CBB's fault in my opinion. We had a stellar QB that missed some critical throws which he later fixed. We had a stellar running back fumble and it broke his heart. Yes Texas Tech happened when they came here after we lost the meat of our defense to the NFL while they retained their NFL QB but we still went to their house and drug their bloated corpses up and down their field in front of their fans for 4 quarters.

We are close friend, we really are. Take your finger off the trigger, take a deep breath and let it play out. We have a lot of talent on the sidelines, and we have some excellent coaches working them and calling the plays. Sometimes the ball just bounces funny, but sometimes the ball bounces exactly as you need it to for a magical season to happen. All you can do is have the best talent you can on the field to take advantage of those bounces.

We are a healthy program right now. The wins/losses will sort themselves out. They always do. The games aren't played on paper, they are played on the field where all the stats and stars are thrown out the window and you wait to see which way the ball bounces and who can take advantage of them. Sometimes, the fans are witness to something worth remembering.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 11, 2017, 09:09:42 am
If it was crystal clear then why did they need a confirmation? I tend not to confirm things that are crystal clear.

Look you are looking to argue with someone and I will not. I simply made a statement which with Henry's article shows I misunderstood CBB's statements.

I said I rewatched the segment and admitted he was not as clearly spoken as I remember. Henry's article brings in more points from CBB which makes it clear why they were in the base. I am happy with his confirmation.

Go argue with one of the posters who hates CBB.

He was confirming with CBB what former players told him about the base defense. What CBB said wasn't in need of confirmation because he laid it out clearly. I have seen multiple people making the claim you did.  When I see misinformation I will do my best to correct it.  A simple "I was wrong he never said that" would suffice instead of pretending it was about me wanting to argue. It was me wanting to correct the record.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2017, 09:59:01 am
He was confirming with CBB what former players told him about the base defense. What CBB said wasn't in need of confirmation because he laid it out clearly. I have seen multiple people making the claim you did.  When I see misinformation I will do my best to correct it.  A simple "I was wrong he never said that" would suffice instead of pretending it was about me wanting to argue. It was me wanting to correct the record.

I believe my second reply where I said I rewatched it was the admission of being wrong.

I WAS WRONG. Feel better? Ego boosted enough to get you through the day? Geez.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 11, 2017, 10:02:17 am
I believe my second reply where I said I rewatched it was the admission of being wrong.

I WAS WRONG. Feel better? Ego boosted enough to get you through the day? Geez.  ;)

I do feel much better now, thanks.  ;)

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on April 11, 2017, 09:49:11 am
Pre-apology to Muskogee if this appears to be off topic, but I feel it is relevant to the topic...

I separate you from the nerd herd because I like you and respect you regardless of how much we differ in our opinions. You think the next Bobby Petrino is out there and we need to snag him up. I think the next CBP is out there and already on staff. I think Enos is the next best thing to CBP from an offensive standpoint, except more balanced. I think if Enos had been hired in year 1, 2014 would have been a year for the history books.

Also, I think CBB recognizes when changes need to be made because, regardless of what the nerd herd on here says, he does not accept mediocrity and is actively and aggressively trying to win a championship. He fired Chaney and hired Enos which was an excellent move. He fired CRS and moved CPR into the DC spot which I believe will be equally brilliant. I think Mallet and Wilson would have been just as good under Enos as they were under CBP. Of course, this is all just my opinion and subject to scrutiny.

As for beating top 5 teams weekly, how about just once? When did we beat one at all under CBP? The only difference between CBB and CBP is that one year when we were ranked 5th in the country after losing to every really good team we played other than South Carolina. We were the prime example of how media hype can affect rankings more than what happens on the field. CBB has actually done better against the big dogs than CBP did, he just needs to eliminate the stumbles against the weaker teams. CBP struggled against weaker teams too, but he still got the wins. We are literally just a score or 2 away from being better than we were under CBP.

I think that warrants giving the man a little more time to reach our potential, which from my vantage point doesn't have a ceiling. He is sure recruiting for it. Yes Toledo happened, and as it turned out they were actually better that year than anyone gives them credit for. Toledo wasn't CBB's fault in my opinion. We had a stellar QB that missed some critical throws which he later fixed. We had a stellar running back fumble and it broke his heart. Yes Texas Tech happened when they came here after we lost the meat of our defense to the NFL while they retained their NFL QB but we still went to their house and drug their bloated corpses up and down their field in front of their fans for 4 quarters.

We are close friend, we really are. Take your finger off the trigger, take a deep breath and let it play out. We have a lot of talent on the sidelines, and we have some excellent coaches working them and calling the plays. Sometimes the ball just bounces funny, but sometimes the ball bounces exactly as you need it to for a magical season to happen. All you can do is have the best talent you can on the field to take advantage of those bounces.

We are a healthy program right now. The wins/losses will sort themselves out. They always do. The games aren't played on paper, they are played on the field where all the stats and stars are thrown out the window and you wait to see which way the ball bounces and who can take advantage of them. Sometimes, the fans are witness to something worth remembering.

OMG.....we actually agree on something.  Stop the presses!

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on April 11, 2017, 09:49:11 am

I agree with a lot of what you posted here but not all of it.

I agree with you about CBB and as a matter of fact I believe this could be his best year since he's been the head Hog.

As for CBP, a 21 - 5 record in 2 years with the only losses being to Bama, LSU, and Ohio State is nothing to scoff at. That's in the past though, and he won't be coming back. Time to move on.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on April 11, 2017, 02:28:25 pm
I agree with a lot of what you posted here but not all of it.

I agree with you about CBB and as a matter of fact I believe this could be his best year since he's been the head Hog.

As for CBP, a 21 - 5 record in 2 years with the only losses being to Bama, LSU, and Ohio State is nothing to scoff at. That's in the past though, and he won't be coming back. Time to move on.

I agree with you on the surface, but when you actually look at it in detail it is less impressive. Notable wins in green, wins over 10 win teams in purple and notable struggles in red. I point this out because you guys seem to all be in agreement that a 7 win team is trash, unless of course that only applies to CBB coached teams. This list simply points out that CBP made a career of beating trash teams (according to you guys) and occasionally having a really good win over a 10 win program. My point has always been that CBP had some good wins, but he struggled mightily with some trash teams as well. It is only fair to keep this in mind when using CBP as the evidence that CBB is a failure.

Using 7 wins as the threshold for what a trash team is since the nerdherd on hogville all agree that a 7 win Arkansas team is trash and cause for firing the coach.

Using 9 wins as the threshold for good teams since the nerdherd agrees that 8 wins isnt good enough to get a raise but not quite bad enough to get fired

Using 10 wins as the threshold for quality teams because we all agree that 10 win teams are better than good

2011 Wins
02-09 Missouri State (+44 Points)
01-11 New Mexico (+49 Points)
03-09 Troy State (+10 Points)
07-06 aTm (+4 Points)
08-05 Auburn (+24 Points)
02-10 Ole Miss (+5 Points)
06-07 Vanderbilt (+3 Points)
11-02 South Carolina (+16 Points)
05-07 Tennessee (+42 Points)
07-06 Mississippi State (+27 Points)
10-03 Kansas State (+13 Points)
----------------------------------------
62-75 Combined Record (-13 Wins)
8 wins over trash teams
2 High Quality wins

2011 Losses
12-01 Alabama (-24 Points)
13-01 LSU (-24 Points)
25-02 Combined Record

2010 Wins
05-06 Tennessee Tech (+41 Points)
05-07 Louisiana Monroe (+24 Points)
06-07 Georgia (+7 Points)
04-08 Ole Miss (+14 Points)
02-10 Vanderbilt (+35 Points)
09-05 South Carolina (+21 Points)
06-07 UTEP (+37 Points)
09-04 Mississippi State (+7 Points in OT)
11-02 LSU (+8 Points)
57-56 Combined Record (+1 Wins)
6 wins over trash teams
2 Good wins
1 High Quality win

2010 Losses
10-03 Alabama (-4 Points)
14-00 Auburn (-22 Points)
12-01 Ohio State (-5 Points)
36-04 Combined Record

As you can see, CBP did have a good run here, but he was gifted an 8 win season in 2011 which is a dream scenario for any coach. I think, if you look deeper into it, CBB is capable of giving this or better. He honestly just needs to stop having so much bad luck with injuries and boneheaded plays by players (skipper tripping in the aTm game, the fumbled touchdown against Alabama, the Drew Morgan fumble in the bowl game etc..) and enjoy some well overdue good luck. Granted, CBP suffered some bad luck with boneheaded plays by players in the Sugar Bowl too. CBB has recruited very well and he has quality coaches on the sidelines. I can see it right there ready to happen and I really hope for Arkansas sake it does soon.

HiggiePiggy

So what you are saying is that BP beat the teams he was suppose to.  Wish I could say the same for what we have now. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

gchamblee

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 11, 2017, 05:14:37 pm
So what you are saying is that BP beat the teams he was suppose to.  Wish I could say the same for what we have now.

Don't forget to wear your helmet if you go outside today.

TNRazorbacker

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: gchamblee on April 11, 2017, 05:15:53 pm
Don't forget to wear your helmet if you go outside today.

So are you always rude to people? Answer this one question for me. Since joining the SEC who has been our best head coach that we have had? 

PorkRinds

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 11, 2017, 05:24:50 pm
So are you always rude to people? Answer this one question for me. Since joining the SEC who has been our best head coach that we have had?

Bret Bielema. 

gchamblee

I am so don't go thinking you're special. And that one is easy, CBP.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: gchamblee on April 11, 2017, 05:29:04 pm

Ok. Thanks. I'm done in here. 

gchamblee

Ill explain my answer further. It really depends on what metric you use to measure when using the word "best". There are many and focusing on only one is a dangerous game.

Wins/Losses - Petrino
Recruiting - Bielema
Program Health - Bielema
Academics - Bielema
Stability - Bielema
Quality of Program - Bielema

gchamblee

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 11, 2017, 05:32:33 pm
Ok. Thanks. I'm done in here.

I gave him the Petrino boner he was looking for, and off to the bathroom he ran!

PorkRinds

Quote from: gchamblee on April 11, 2017, 05:29:04 pm

I personally can't call him a good coach because of how he left our program. He's garbage. Maybe he's a great football strategist but a coach is much more than that. 

gchamblee

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2017, 05:36:56 pm
I personally can't call him a good coach because of how he left our program. He's garbage. Maybe he's a great football strategist but a coach is much more than that.

I gave him the answer he was looking for to see his reaction