Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema... Yay or nay?

Started by LZH, April 01, 2017, 09:15:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Buyout aside, if he doesn't win 8 games this year....should he be gone?  He was hired as a hotshot and a recruiter - and hasn't delivered.  If the buyout $$$ isn't an issue, what is his expectations?.....we are being talked about as a lightweight.  How long before JL pulls the trigger?  I say 8-9 wins or his throne gets hotter than hell.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 01, 2017, 09:15:51 am
Buyout aside, if he doesn't win 8 games this year....should he be gone?  He was hired as a hotshot and a recruiter - and hasn't delivered.  If the buyout $$$ isn't an issue, what is his expectations?.....we are being talked about as a lightweight.  How long before JL pulls the trigger?  I say 8-9 wins or his throne gets hotter than hell.

Oh good grief, again? It doesn't matter, he will be here through the 2018 season. There are things about Bielema that I can take issue with as well, but when he is going to be here for 2 more seasons no matter what, does it really matter? All we can do is hope that he ramps up the production of the team. And by the way, recruiting has improved...I just don't know if it is enough.
Go Hogs Go!

Ā 

tophawg19

he deserves 6 years , same as Mike . he has a much tougher job in the SEC West . He also has a number of top 25 wins and 75 % bowl appearances and his first year no one could have gotten that team into a bowl . Recruiting is getting much better as well. Also he is improving his staff each year .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Steef

I'm not 'judging' him on numbers of wins. I'm 'judging' him the same way I always have...what does the team/product look like on the field during the game?

LaTech was a 'win' last year, but we sucked and just happened to score more points than them.

Couple years ago, we lost to Bama 14-15....but gave them ALL they wanted.

In short, wins/losses don't tell all the story.

This year, we OUGHT to have a decent offense. Defense....who the heck knows? But the other guys come to play too... and we have a BRUTAL schedule. Worst I've seen in years. We could easily lose a couple games at the end...just from exhaustion.

Instead of wins/losses, I'll say this...if this team has one more "I don't care about finishing the second half of the game"....Bret can find another job.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Good grief, speaking of hot, I guess based on your question the sun already is that hot in Florida........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

I say yay.  He's done everything asked of him.

LZH

Guys, the idea is does he delegate, If so, not (which I doubt) he show?  If we shiit the bucket this fall I a afrad.

tophawg19

Quote from: Steef on April 01, 2017, 09:26:41 am
I'm not 'judging' him on numbers of wins. I'm 'judging' him the same way I always have...what does the team/product look like on the field during the game?

LaTech was a 'win' last year, but we sucked and just happened to score more points than them.

Couple years ago, we lost to Bama 14-15....but gave them ALL they wanted.

In short, wins/losses don't tell all the story.

This year, we OUGHT to have a decent offense. Defense....who the heck knows? But the other guys come to play too... and we have a BRUTAL schedule. Worst I've seen in years. We could easily lose a couple games at the end...just from exhaustion.

Instead of wins/losses, I'll say this...if this team has one more "I don't care about finishing the second half of the game"....Bret can find another job.

Did you watch the Super Bowl ? Late game collapses happen even to great teams. . The loss to Mizzou was bad but then Florida could say the same about our win.it happens sometimes . V Tech was a good team and gave Clemson fits so that one wasn't that bad .

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on April 01, 2017, 09:35:52 am
Guys, the idea is does he delegate, If so, not (which I doubt) he show?  If we shiit the bucket this fall I a afrad.

It's five o'clock somewhere it looks like.

hogcard1964

He will lose several more games this season he shouldn't, but nothing will happen.

Poker_hog

Should he be fired if we win 6-7 games?  Yes.  I think we'd have to have a losing record for it to happen this year though.  I honestly don't think long would ever fire him until he has a losing record.  And even then he wouldn't be fired if he had a big year before that.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2017, 09:40:24 am

He may be visiting the Keys......

Ā 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2017, 09:40:24 am

Five o'clock! So where's those beers Ricepig promised everyone...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Can't wait for the day he is not our coach. He's nothing more than a Houston Nutt or Kirk Ferentz. A very likable, but also very overrated and overpaid coach.  Arkansas can do better.

Steef

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 01, 2017, 09:37:17 am
Did you watch the Super Bowl ?

No.

Late game collapses happen even to great teams. .

True. Whether it's acceptable or not, depends on why it happened.

The loss to Mizzou was bad

Yes it was. WHY it happened, was worse.

but then Florida could say the same about our win.

Actually...no. Florida was our best effort all last year. They (Gators) didn't collapse. We just beat them.

it happens sometimes . V Tech was a good team and gave Clemson fits so that one wasn't that bad .

You and I disagree about this game.

Steef

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 01, 2017, 09:47:54 am
Can't wait for the day he is not our coach. He's nothing more than a Houston Nutt or Kirk Ferentz. A very likable, but also very overrated and overpaid coach.  Arkansas can do better.

This post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the OP. It's just another opportunity to spew malice.

Steef

Those of you who don't like this thread....start one you DO like.

Yes...this has been discussed before.

It's not like there's a lot ELSE to talk about right now....and last year sucked bad enough for this to still be germane.

tophawg19

Quote from: Steef on April 01, 2017, 09:50:17 am
No.

True. Whether it's acceptable or not, depends on why it happened.

Yes it was. WHY it happened, was worse.

Actually...no. Florida was our best effort all last year. They (Gators) didn't collapse. We just beat them.

You and I disagree about this game.
Did you see the Clemson - V Tech game ? V-Tech should have beaten them but for some ref help . They were a really good team at the end of the season and better than the bowl they were given.

hogcard1964

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 01, 2017, 10:04:31 am
Did you see the Clemson - V Tech game ? V-Tech should have beaten them but for some ref help . They were a really good team at the end of the season and better than the bowl they were given.

Va Tech was mediocre. They also had some pretty embarrassing losses during the season.  They got thumped by a pretty Shi))y Tennessee team and actually lost to Syracuse.

(notOM)Rebel123

Yawn.....it's April. Opening Day tomorrow. Check back in November.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

tophawg19

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 01, 2017, 10:10:51 am
Va Tech was mediocre. They also had some pretty embarrassing losses during the season.  They got thumped by a pretty Shi))y Tennessee team and actually lost to Syracuse.
by the end of the year they were playing very well .

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Steef on April 01, 2017, 09:51:59 am
This post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the OP. It's just another opportunity to spew malice.

Your probably right. I do have a problem with CBB. I've come to expect CBB to find a way to lose the game.  The program has invested over 15 million in his abilities and gotten mediocre on the field results.

hogcard1964

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 01, 2017, 10:14:28 am
by the end of the year they were playing very well .

Yes, they were, but they were nothing to brag about.

Ā 

(notOM)Rebel123

Not to state the obvious, but I think he needs to win 8-9 regular season and finish strong with a bowl win over a "good" team. Sorry, but Texas and K-State weren't very good teams. It's time to take the next step.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bphi11ips

I have to agree with Steef. 

On the way home from Auburn, an old coach of mine called and said we looked like we were playing with eight guys on defense. He was furious.  There is no disgrace in losing to Auburn on the road.  I didn't expect to win that game.  It was the way we lost it that shocked me.  Still, every once in a while, you run into a buzz saw.

There was absolutely no reason to have lost at Missouri.  No reason for the defensive lapses in the second half. I'll bet that few of you were comfortable at halftime of the bowl game.

Going back through all the epic collapses and losses under CBB, from Rutgers to Toledo to the A&M games to Missouri last year, it's difficult to have much confidence going into CBB's fifth year.  Do we really lack the depth to compete in the fourth quarter?  Was scheme really the problem on defense?  Was our O-line really as overmatched as it seemed at times? 

I've always liked CBB's philosophy. I like what he has done with the players off the field and in the classroom.  I'd be very comfortable sending my own son to play for him.  I don't care as much about his record as I do about putting a team on the field that competes hard on every down.  One that doesn't lose games because of crazy calls at critical times. 

The 14-13 Alabama loss is a good example of a great game by the team and coaches.  There are other examples of great effort in close losses.  But 10-22 is not up to Arkansas standards.  The schedule doesn't set up well for a team with as many question marks as this team has.  I don't expect to win 6 games this year, but I can accept a losing season if we see a team that is in position, plays fundamentally sound football, and leaves it all on the field.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The real Hogules

With the possible exception of the likable part, I couldn't disagree more! Nutt would NOT let go of the reins to the offense, while CBB allows Enos to run the show. Nutt was all rah-rah, coach Bobby Petrino was passionate about his offense, and I think that CBB falls somewhere in between.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Dark Helmet Hog

These are facts. Arkansas averages 7 wins over it's history. Realistically, as a program, you can expect between 6-8 wins. Anything over or under that is statistically outside the norm and it doesn't matter who the coach is at the time. With that in mind, Bielema has run a good program with fewer players in trouble than I can ever remember. Graduation rates and academic achievement are leading the SEC and that includes Vanderbilt. Finally, attendance is still where it needs to be and profitability of the program has increased.

Take away either of the late game collapses at Missouri and VT and these conversions aren't happening. Take away both and everyone would be talking about wining the SEC right now. It shows what a thin line there is between 7-5 and 9-3 and how fickle we can be as fans. Regardless, I think the team is heading in the right direction and will continue to become more consistent.  The actual facts show that Bielema is doing most everything right that those he works for would find important. His seat is not hot and most likely will not be hot any time soon. Time is probably better spent just watching spring practice right now. Take some enjoyment in being a Hog fan for a little while and try to have some optimism.   

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/final-sec-attendance-figures-2016/

https://news.uark.edu/articles/37786/arkansas-no-1-in-sec-for-2016-fall-honor-roll

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-arrests-by-team-halfway-through-2016

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45el/university-of-arkansas-razorbacks/#49e2bb1a7f13

ZERO

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 01, 2017, 10:04:31 am

It's not that V-Tech wasn't a good team. It's that when you're up 24-0 in the third quarter, that's just a game you don't lose. I get that it does happen sometimes regardless, even to good coaches. It already happened the previous game against a team that was 3-8. We can't let these games keep getting away from us. A third bowl win in a row over a quality opponent would have changed the entire tone of the offseason.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 01, 2017, 12:02:20 pm
These are facts. Arkansas averages 7 wins over it's history. Realistically, as a program, you can expect between 6-8 wins. Anything over or under that is statistically outside the norm and it doesn't matter who the coach is at the time. With that in mind, Bielema has run a good program with fewer players in trouble than I can ever remember. Graduation rates and academic achievement are leading the SEC and that includes Vanderbilt. Finally, attendance is still where it needs to be and profitability of the program has increased.

Take away either of the late game collapses at Missouri and VT and these conversions aren't happening. Take away both and everyone would be talking about wining the SEC right now. It shows what a thin line there is between 7-5 and 9-3 and how fickle we can be as fans. Regardless, I think the team is heading in the right direction and will continue to become more consistent.  The actual facts show that Bielema is doing most everything right that those he works for would find important. His seat is not hot and most likely will not be hot any time soon. Time is probably better spent just watching spring practice right now. Take some enjoyment in being a Hog fan for a little while and try to have some optimism.   

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/final-sec-attendance-figures-2016/

https://news.uark.edu/articles/37786/arkansas-no-1-in-sec-for-2016-fall-honor-roll

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-arrests-by-team-halfway-through-2016

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45el/university-of-arkansas-razorbacks/#49e2bb1a7f13

One thing I don't believe most of y'all who see campus regularly can appreciate is the upgrade to not only facilities, but branding and marketing on campus as well. There is no doubt the difference on campus vs 2001. I was most impressed with Fayetteville and the surrounding area, but on campus just flat floored me. The signage alone got loads of praise from my Alabama friends as we walked up to the stadium. The atmosphere that day was 2nd to none.

I personally believe the coaching changes from last year are vastly underestimated, as well as the impact our OL coach has had since his first year. Go watch the day two interviews. These guys are impressive. I mean it... We are trending upward, and I feel this year will see a monumental paradigm shift on the field. I'm truly excited and optimistic. the rest of you just go ahead and complain all through spring and fall. it will make your turning around or leaving the board that much more fun to watch...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on April 01, 2017, 12:14:00 pm
One thing I don't believe most of y'all who see campus regularly can appreciate is the upgrade to not only facilities, but branding and marketing on campus as well. There is no doubt the difference on campus vs 2001. I was most impressed with Fayetteville and the surrounding area, but on campus just flat floored me. The signage alone got loads of praise from my Alabama friends as we walked up to the stadium. The atmosphere that day was 2nd to none.

I personally believe the coaching changes from last year are vastly underestimated, as well as the impact our OL coach has had since his first year. Go watch the day two interviews. These guys are impressive. I mean it... We are trending upward, and I feel this year will see a monumental paradigm shift on the field. I'm truly excited and optimistic. the rest of you just go ahead and complain all through spring and fall. it will make your turning around or leaving the board that much more fun to watch...

100% with you on all this.

Also, the entirety of NWA is just incredible right now and getting better every day.

longpig

Went from yay to meh by halftime of the Auburn game.
Don't be scared, be smart.

jcbville

LSU and Florida couldn't do "better" at this time but you think Arkansas can? CBB will get his time as he should and if he can't deliver ultimately he will be gone. But this idea that Arkansas can just go out and find a big winning coach right now is delusional. LSU had to settle for Coach O in the current climate. And yes they definitely settled. And before that was Florida and Tenn and I don't see either one of those guys as super exciting hires. So what in the world makes people think Arkansas can just fire a coach at will and get better than they have?

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 01, 2017, 09:21:32 am
Oh good grief, again? It doesn't matter, he will be here through the 2018 season. There are things about Bielema that I can take issue with as well, but when he is going to be here for 2 more seasons no matter what, does it really matter? All we can do is hope that he ramps up the production of the team. And by the way, recruiting has improved...I just don't know if it is enough.

247Hog

I'm pumped and excited about next season.We have the same record ATM as Alabama. We bitched about Defense and we made changes when the season ended. People bitched about the 4-3 and wanted 3-4...and now we're implementing it. It's April 1 and negativity is shown in half of the post. Enjoy the journey of Spring practice and lead up to football season. Plenty of time to piss and moan later IF things go bad for the coaching staff.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

gchamblee

Ill have another, make it a double

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 01, 2017, 09:21:32 am

I agree with everything in your post except the "no matter what" part. The defensive coaching changes and the change to a 3-4 defensive philosophy is a dead giveaway that CBB knows his back is to the wall. All along he has openly proclaimed that his 5th year at Arkansas would be "THE YEAR" so the urgency to win and make it happen is obviously there. IMHO a 7 win regular season puts him on the hot seat for next season but if this team tanks and wins less than 6 games, there may not be a next year for CBB at Arkansas,

That being said, I don't believe this Hog team will tank this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Did you watch the Super Bowl ? Late game collapses happen even to great teams. . The loss to Mizzou was bad but then Florida could say the same about our win.it happens sometimes . V Tech was a good team and gave Clemson fits so that one wasn't that bad .

If you read FANONTHEHILL in an earlier thread, during the second half of the bowl game the coaches were practically screaming at the players to focus and pay attention... to execute the plan. I don't think the 2nd half collapses were coaching issues, I think it was player issues. I really hope this year they can focus through the fatigue.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 01, 2017, 10:10:51 am

Football just might be a little too complex for you

Poker_hog

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 01, 2017, 11:29:35 am
With the possible exception of the likable part, I couldn't disagree more! Nutt would NOT let go of the reins to the offense, while CBB allows Enos to run the show. Nutt was all rah-rah, coach Bobby Petrino was passionate about his offense, and I think that CBB falls somewhere in between.

I think he's talking more about the level of the coach and not their methods.  With every year that passes it seems Wisconsin has a successful program regardless of the coach.  It's hard to continue to give CBB credit for the success he had there.  Heading into year 5 he has a losing record here.  Most sec coaches wouldn't get a 5th year with that record.  He needs to have a big year or its beginning to look like 8-5 may be his ceiling.  Yes I know that we are traditionally middle of the sec pack but hope sells tickets.  Once it's clear that a coach can't compete for titles it's time to move on.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

247Hog

Quote from: jcbville on April 01, 2017, 12:42:52 pm
LSU and Florida couldn't do "better" at this time but you think Arkansas can? CBB will get his time as he should and if he can't deliver ultimately he will be gone. But this idea that Arkansas can just go out and find a big winning coach right now is delusional. LSU had to settle for Coach O in the current climate. And yes they definitely settled. And before that was Florida and Tenn and I don't see either one of those guys as super exciting hires. So what in the world makes people think Arkansas can just fire a coach at will and get better than they have?

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on April 01, 2017, 12:50:20 pm
I agree with everything in your post except the "no matter what" part. The defensive coaching changes and the change to a 3-4 defensive philosophy is a dead giveaway that CBB knows his back is to the wall. All along he has openly proclaimed that his 5th year at Arkansas would be "THE YEAR" so the urgency to win and make it happen is obviously there. IMHO a 7 win regular season puts him on the hot seat for next season but if this team tanks and wins less than 6 games, there may not be a next year for CBB at Arkansas,

That being said, I don't believe this Hog team will tank this year.

The problem with this post is, you're basically saying if CBB didn't feel pressure he would have stayed with the 4-3 and not made any changes to the defensive staff. I think that i absolutely false. Although, I do understand why you are trying to sell this theory. Whatever it takes to make CBB look incompetent right?

GuvHog

Quote from: jcbville on April 01, 2017, 12:42:52 pm

Maybe it's because Arkansas did exactly that in late 2007.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jgphillips3

I'm still a "yay" until I see this season and what we look like.  I'll forgive one year of inept Oline play and one of the worst defenses I've ever seen at Arkansas if they look good this fall.  If not, that seat will be blistering in 2018.

Hogs-n-Roses

Vantage 8 dude

Well I suppose it had to happen since I hadn't seen today's thread of "should he or shouldn't he be gone" as yet. Glad to see that things are right with the world now. 

Russ22

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on April 01, 2017, 12:14:00 pm

I agree with your premise except that you can't upgrade your image when you have a walking quote machine. It gives the national media a free pass to goad Bert into saying something stupid-making fun of people with reading disorders, for example. The upgrades in NWA need to include a head coach that doesn't double as a Boss Hog mascot.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

ricepig

Quote from: Russ22 on April 01, 2017, 01:44:34 pm
I agree with your premise except that you can't upgrade your image when you have a walking quote machine. It gives the national media a free pass to goad Bret into saying something stupid-making fun of people with reading disorders, for example. The upgrades in NWA need to include a head coach that doesn't double as a Boss Hog mascot.

I'd worry about Sumlin if I was you, he may need help to his room again, real soon.  8)